Can Somebody Explain To Me This Bitrate Limit Thing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen no public announcements from the Department of Broadband, Communication and the Digital Economy on this score.

You can search their website and the ACMA site for proof.

There are no announcements as yet since agreement needs to be made at ITU conferences (and particularly for our regional spectrum allocations) as to when the 700+MHz broadcast band will be surrended to non-broadcast use. It's all still a work in progress but as more countries accept the importance for an LTE 700 band it will no doubt be accepted in the next few years. The other parts of the TV broadcast band will remain as they are as there are no plans to change those allocations.

I think ACMA are actually going to take back the analog spectrum from the broadcasters to sell if off for telecommunications use
That's a rumour from people that don't understand how spectrum is allocated. The VHF high band and UHF low band will only be allocated for broadcast use for DVB-T, DVB-H, DAB etc as that is what the spectrum is internationally allocated for. Putting cellular style telco transmissions in their place would cause interference.

The UHF high band (channels 50+) will be re-allocated for telcos as that is what international regulators are falling over themselves to do right now and have it harmonised as a new worldwide harmonised band for LTE/WiMax.

Davmel,

I have seen no public announcements from the Department of Broadband, Communication and the Digital Economy on this score.

You can search their website and the ACMA site for proof.

AlanH

It is correct that the analogue spectrum will get handed back, regardless of exactly what the Govt decide they want to do with it, they've got the same dollar signs in their eyes the US Govt had in theirs last year when they auctioned off theirs.

Stuff all chance of the bandwidth issue being solved any time soon. It would be handy if MPEG4 was ratified, but of course that's a huge pain in ass to everyone out there having to buy new gear, so I can't see that happening any time soon. I definitely was thinking about how the bandwidth issue would be dealt with with multichannelling and had my concerns. It seems with the launch of GO!, they have been validated. It really spoils the idea of watching the next season of series like Fringe when you've gotta put up with that kind of poor bitrate on large screen and surround system. Especially when it's so simple to watch a full 720p MKV version complete with 5.1 AC-3(another big DTV bugbear of mine).

Judging by that thread DVB-t works in a suprisingly similar way to MPEG-4 AVC and DVD/blueray/HDDVD. ;)

But just nowhere near as bit rate efficient as evidenced when you check out a slingboxed feed at 2+mbits in 1920x540 MPEG4 H.264 for example.

Well it's almost a week after GO! started and the PQ is still a lowly 2.2 MBit. Moonlight which was on earlier looked terrible.

I've heard that Statistical Multiplexing is being rolled out around Nine and WIN. Currently 9 Adelaide apparently has it up and running. That should help mitigate some of the PQ issues with GO. I also heard that the correct bitrate for GO was more like 5mbits, its not being paired down as much as some have indicated.

Edited by OzHTfan

I've heard that Statistical Multiplexing is being rolled out around Nine and WIN. Currently 9 Adelaide apparently has it up and running. That should help mitigate some of the PQ issues with GO. I also heard that the correct bitrate for GO was more like 5mbits, its not being paired down as much as some have indicated.

Yeah, the tech I spoke to at 9 here in Brisbane said that Stat Mux should be in in the coming months. Looking forward to that!!

I can say though, that GO! is MEANT to be VBR 2-5mbps (so the techie tells me), but in Brissie, it's a CBR of 2mbps. I still think they just missed a switch somewhere to make it VBR instead of CBR?

But just nowhere near as bit rate efficient as evidenced when you check out a slingboxed feed at 2+mbits in 1920x540 MPEG4 H.264 for example.

I was having a dig at some of the misconceptions being promoted as fact in that thread. They were on par to other misconceptions mentioned regarding how MPEG-4 AVC works and how DVD et al works by participants of that thread.

Without having seen a stream dump of GO! in a Nein broadcast it may be that the long term average of GO! is ~2Mbit/sec with peaks far higher. Of course if its being aggressively munched down 5Mbit/sec peak doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of observed quality. GO! as carried by WIN is currently 'CBR' at about 5.5Mbit/sec.

Edited by DrP

I can say though, that GO! is MEANT to be VBR 2-5mbps (so the techie tells me), but in Brissie, it's a CBR of 2mbps. I still think they just missed a switch somewhere to make it VBR instead of CBR?

I don't know about Brisbane but I noticed after midnight earlier this week in Melbourne Nine started stat multiplexing with VBR and the variance is definitely between 2 and high ~4.6 Mbps variance. It varies with 9HD whereas 9SD remains constant. When GO is down at 2 Mbps like it is now when showing 4:3 pillarboxed content the 9HD channel bitrate spikes up around 15 Mbps at times.

So it looks like GO is averaging 2 Mbps when showing 4:3 material (since the encoder doesn't need much to encode the black bars) and up around 3 Mbps when showing 16:9 material.

I don't know about Brisbane but I noticed after midnight earlier this week in Melbourne Nine started stat multiplexing with VBR and the variance is definitely between 2 and high ~4.6 Mbps variance. It varies with 9HD whereas 9SD remains constant. When GO is down at 2 Mbps like it is now when showing 4:3 pillarboxed content the 9HD channel bitrate spikes up around 15 Mbps at times.

So it looks like GO is averaging 2 Mbps when showing 4:3 material (since the encoder doesn't need much to encode the black bars) and up around 3 Mbps when showing 16:9 material.

Not here yet. Just looked, still 2mpbs, always. Every other part of the mux moves around a little, GO! doesn't. Hope stat muxing comes sooner rather than later up here.

Not here yet. Just looked, still 2mpbs, always. Every other part of the mux moves around a little, GO! doesn't. Hope stat muxing comes sooner rather than later up here.

Oh well, things move slowly up in Brisbane, Nine up there is only now celebrating 50 years with an ugly watermark to prove it......