Sign in to follow this  
Groover !

Samsung Led Ua55b8000 ( First One In Australia)

Type here is: 55U2UF0E <=== something like that.... however I think you can't change the type.

Interesting. I do not have this type setting. The closest I have to it is 55A2UF0E.

BTW to see the other settings in the service menu you highlight the option you wish to change. The menu disappears leaving only the option concerned and its current value. Using the <- -> direction control on the remote you can then step through each available value. Once satisfied with the value showing, press the "return" key to return to the previous menu display. I don't think some settings take effect until you turn off/on the TV.

I also found a second way to do a factory reset. with the TV on, press and hold the "Exit" key for about 20 secs. A dialog will appear asking if you wish to proceed (so you can back out if you wish.)

I would be interested to know what other "Type" settings are out there for the 55B8000 in Oz.

What is everyone paying for the 55B8000?

Best ticketed price I've found so far is $4680.00.

Yes 55A2UF0E. this is what I have howerver I dont know if its different since I live in Lebanon and the TV is Made in Malaysia we share the "A" letter apart of U = Europe and N = North America.

Do you happen to suffer from smearing/blurring or out of focus in parts of the screen? Many thanks!

Do you happen to suffer from smearing/blurring or out of focus in parts of the screen? Many thanks!

Not that I notice.

Update on the off/on power cycle sage.

Its started again.

first extended watch of TV (Sunday) it went off then came on again after about four hours use.

today (Tuesday) it happened after around 45 mins. TV on for a further 5 hours without repeat.

have logged a call and techie will be out tomorrow.

Samsung Tech Spt (HO in Sydney) also logged the fault and I related the history (two main board swaps an a power supply but still no joy).

they seemed perturbed by this but could offer no answer except to get the local spt to come and have a look.

They also asked me to call back to report on what was suggested.

I have heard of this problem with other models of Samsung but not the LEDs.

Has any other owner in OZ (or elsewhere) had this issue apart from the other poster in this thread?

Not that I notice.

Update on the off/on power cycle sage.

Its started again.

first extended watch of TV (Sunday) it went off then came on again after about four hours use.

today (Tuesday) it happened after around 45 mins. TV on for a further 5 hours without repeat.

have logged a call and techie will be out tomorrow.

Samsung Tech Spt (HO in Sydney) also logged the fault and I related the history (two main board swaps an a power supply but still no joy).

they seemed perturbed by this but could offer no answer except to get the local spt to come and have a look.

They also asked me to call back to report on what was suggested.

I have heard of this problem with other models of Samsung but not the LEDs.

Has any other owner in OZ (or elsewhere) had this issue apart from the other poster in this thread?

Man keep us updated!! its a new LED and you are already suffering from power and main board faults!! this sucks!!

What is everyone paying for the 55B8000?

Best ticketed price I've found so far is $4680.00.

looking at picking up one of these in the next few weeks....where did you find it for that price?

looking at picking up one of these in the next few weeks....where did you find it for that price?

hey kavorka

I bought my new series 8 55" on January 4th 2010 ua55b8000 and still haven't seen the tv...let alone the bonus tv...JB claim Sammy are well out of stock at the moment and have been stalling for weeks...i had to get an extension from Sammy on the promo as they emailed me saying I hadn't provided the serial number and paperwork....well I said they haven't even given me my tv yet so who's to blame for that?....i got an extension until end of feb....word is Sammy are expecting a ship into NSW this week with a heap of stock (new and promo's) and will take about another week to distribute to all the retailers...hope this is right...cause I will not be impressed if I miss the Pies/Saints opener next Friday!!!

signed....Very Patient

hey kavorka

I bought my new series 8 55" on January 4th 2010 ua55b8000 and still haven't seen the tv...let alone the bonus tv...JB claim Sammy are well out of stock at the moment and have been stalling for weeks...i had to get an extension from Sammy on the promo as they emailed me saying I hadn't provided the serial number and paperwork....well I said they haven't even given me my tv yet so who's to blame for that?....i got an extension until end of feb....word is Sammy are expecting a ship into NSW this week with a heap of stock (new and promo's) and will take about another week to distribute to all the retailers...hope this is right...cause I will not be impressed if I miss the Pies/Saints opener next Friday!!!

signed....Very Patient

Acording to this, there are currently 255 26" TV's left (as of right now). If you read the small print it says the offer will stay open until all TV's are gone.

Just out of curiousity how much did you pay for your set if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by rwo

hey kavorka

signed....Very Patient

wow you've been waiting over a month? that's not encouraging. i was hoping to get mine from JB as well.

basically my 4.5 year old 78cm crt died last week (dead picture tube)....but had 5 months left on its 5 year warranty :P

so the warranty company says they'll probably just give me the original $900 i paid for it at jb. so i might as well put this cash towards upgrading to an LED model

wow you've been waiting over a month? that's not encouraging. i was hoping to get mine from JB as well.

basically my 4.5 year old 78cm crt died last week (dead picture tube)....but had 5 months left on its 5 year warranty :P

so the warranty company says they'll probably just give me the original $900 i paid for it at jb. so i might as well put this cash towards upgrading to an LED model

for sure....put that towards a new 55b8000....I am sure once you get it you will be happy that you did...i went for the series 8 so I can take full advantage of the DLNA feature set and just cause I think 200hz is better... (personal opinions count heaps when you are spending that sort of money!!)

i have a 86cm Sony Wega that blew an IC and had a quote of nearly $600 to fix it....no thanks...it is not even worth half that...got a mate coming around to fix it for a slab...

i would still recommend JB to get one of these...even though they don't have stock at the moment (couple of weeks) it is the customer service i enjoy....I could have spent under 5K through an online dealer or by shopping around but i really wanted interest free period and delivery...and they came to the party (as they usually do)

all up it cost $5800 including extended warranty to 5 years, delivery, wireless adapter and 2 years interest free....and they guy in Ringwood was awesome...so I was happy to part with my hard earned....(not that i have actually spent anything yet!!)

now i just need for it to arrive at my humble abode then you will see a happy man....

signed.....Very Patient but getting anxious

I picked up one of these yesterday and was curious what dates the supposedly "fixed" tv's (that didn't have the clouding, flashlight, bright corner's) started coming out? On the set I have (dated Aug 09 and had apparently been on hold for someone for 4 months who didn't collect it), If I go to the menu screen for the denon AVR (which is a black background) the uniformity is reasonable with the worst part being the bright lower right corner and about halfway up the right side, but when I switch between an input source and the TV tuner there is a couple of seconds of black/greyish screen (where it seems the backlight goes to the max setting or something) before the tuner initializes, during this few seconds the screen is shockingly bad, with all corners washed out and flashlighting/clouding over more or less the entire right hand side of the screen. It was that bad that even the missus noticed it and commented (and this was from a woman that said the picture on the new set looked the same size as the LA46M81BDX that was returned due to unfixable faults!).

Do other sets exhibit these same problems or do they generally show poor backlight uniformity on ANY black screen?

What's the best way to show up the dodgey back lights on these so I can do a few more checks before getting Samsung involved?

I read somewhere that a firmware update may improve the issues (my set is currently 1001 which must be the release version) so I will try this and a few different calibration settings and see if it improves things but if anyone has some other suggestions I'd be happy to give them a go...

Also, WTF is up with Samsung using an archaic giant plug that is not removable? Does anyone know if samsung sell an official "wall mount compatible" power cord for this thing or am I stuck chopping the cord myself and no doubt voiding the warranty?

Edited by rwo

OK, I think I solved my Internet@TV issue (not the DLNA play though).

Trawling through some other forums were suggestions to go into the service menu and check the settings for medialink.

I followed the instructions to enter the service menu (Turn off TV, Press Info, Press Menu, Press Mute, Turn ON TV)

When the TV comes back on the Service Menu should appear on the left side of the screen. If not turn TV off and try steps again.

Went to the "Options" menu but my settings seemed correct.

What I did notice up the top of the "Options" menu was "Factory Reset".

So I selected that and reset to factory settings.

On turning the TV back on I was guided through the set up menus and once this was complete I gave "Internet@TV" a try.

It worked!!

It connected and downloaded the widgets (Weather, YouTube and News) and they functioned as before.

Cool.

One problem though. Under the "Factory Reset" option the "Type" is listed.

I think I inadvertently changed this setting. :o

So I was wondering if someone out there with a 55B8000 would go to there service menu and let me know what their Type setting reads.

Oh oh, the same thing just happened to me trying to fix my internet@tv problem on my UA46B8000 :o - oh how I wish I'd read this thread first :( . Does anyone happen to have the "type" option for their UA46B8000, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

WFC

Does anyone stream MKV's to their TV from MythTV?

I can stream mp3's ok but all of my h.264 MKV's come up with "file not supported". I am pretty sure they are not all DTS mkv's, so I would have thought some of them would play. I have already updated to the latest firmware.

Hmmm... i wonder if Samsung will replace our TV based on the white corner issue alone...

Yeah I Have the Series 8 55inch (UA55B8000) it arrived Wednesday called Samsung the next day. This model has bad clouding and flash lighting. I watched four blue rays. And after 5min of Terminator Salvation I had to turn the Tv off. Mind you I am coming from a series 950 and boy do the black levels look bad on this set. But I will add if Samsung can solve ad lest 70% of the problem I will be a happy costumer. But from the price we payed this is poor in the black levels performance, but this tv looks Amazing when your running Up or any pixar film on it. It really does have that new feel that the a950 was lacking but I find it bloody hard to watch flash lights and clouding I just hope that they can fix this. Or is this really a defect in this range of Led lcd edge lighting? Has any body really got a set that has had no back lighting or clouding. And yes I have calibrated this set, but even with the backlight @ 0 and contrast @ 0 and brightness @ 0

Still flash lights and clouding. I will update with what goes down on this set, I Wont post any photos yet :)

Poor screen uniformity is inherent with edge lit designs, and if the LED back light is turned up the blacks will be worse than the conventional ccfl LCD's.

There is no cure and there is nothing Samsung can do unless your set is worse then normal. Turning the back light down when viewing in dim or dark environment should make the issues less noticeable.

Edited by Owen

Poor screen uniformity is inherent with edge lit designs, and if the LED back light is turned up the blacks will be worse than the conventional ccfl LCD's.

There is no cure and there is nothing Samsung can do unless your set is worse then normal. Turning the back light down when viewing in dim or dark environment should make the issues less noticeable.

Has anyone got photo's of "normal" and "worse than normal" back lighting? It's pretty hard to compare to the ones in the brightly lit shop showrooms when I generally watch my set in a semi dark lounge.

Edited by rwo

Just A quick question. But has anybody tried to get stereoscopic 3d glasses working with there series 8, I read in a forum a while back that one guy had got his Nvidia vision 3d to work buy plugging the Vesa sync connector in to one of the component stereo jacks. Of course he used his pc to do all the 2d to 3d conversion, Buy TriDef DDD software and some other nvidia media player. I also read a press release that a company called bitcauldron has a usb sync transmitter that can plug into any Hdtv with 100hz or above that will enable perfect sync with there 3d stereoscopic glasses. I have also notice that the series 8 can do the 3d that blue ray has now out, Final Destination, journey to the center of earth, a lot better then the last bunch of samsung lcd even the a950 it really does pop out the screen.

Here is a quote from www.bitcauldron.com maybe we might get 3D this way shore might save every body from upgrading again this year :)

Bring realistic 3D into your home using Bit Cauldron 3D glasses and technologies. Our high tech products transform the ordinary into the extraordinary. Turn your existing HDTV into 3DTV, your computer into a virtual 3D world and immerse yourself in 3D gaming.

I also read a press release that a company called bitcauldron has a usb sync transmitter that can plug into any Hdtv with 100hz or above that will enable perfect sync with there 3d stereoscopic glasses.

Show me a current model TV that can accept 100Hz or above video signals, I am not aware of any.

Show me a current model TV that can accept 100Hz or above video signals, I am not aware of any.

I think he means 100/120Hz panels and 200/240Hz panels...

JSmith :ninja:

Sorry guys, What I was trying to say is even tho our tvs are 60hz they can still take a 200hz signal input when hardware i.e 200hz

3D blue ray players ship later this year, If you have a motion plus 200 hz enabled tv , then according to the email I have received. 3d Will work on your Samsung led Tv. But you will have to plug the usb transmitter into the usb input on the back of the TV, this will allow your stereoscopic glasses to sync with the tv and 3d blue ray player. Because the Samsung led tv do not have 3d sync out puts for stereoscopic glasses this is the only way it will work. But there has been rumors that Samsung will release a firmware update that will enable 3d on the series 8, and only because the 200hz board in the series 8 is a dual chip, it will allow 100hz for each eye which is more then enough for 3d stereo, And then you will be able to use Nvidia 3d vision glasses, and I did say rumor. If you have a usa model tv then your tv is 240hz.

Anyone know if 3D will work on these?

Yeah I Have the Series 8 55inch (UA55B8000) it arrived Wednesday called Samsung the next day. This model has bad clouding and flash lighting. I watched four blue rays. And after 5min of Terminator Salvation I had to turn the Tv off. Mind you I am coming from a series 950 and boy do the black levels look bad on this set. But I will add if Samsung can solve ad lest 70% of the problem I will be a happy costumer. But from the price we payed this is poor in the black levels performance, but this tv looks Amazing when your running Up or any pixar film on it. It really does have that new feel that the a950 was lacking but I find it bloody hard to watch flash lights and clouding I just hope that they can fix this. Or is this really a defect in this range of Led lcd edge lighting? Has any body really got a set that has had no back lighting or clouding. And yes I have calibrated this set, but even with the backlight @ 0 and contrast @ 0 and brightness @ 0

Still flash lights and clouding. I will update with what goes down on this set, I Wont post any photos yet :)

Seems like you've paid more for a worse set... maybe you should have stuck with the A950?

Why did you change, did you want the thinner model or just an impulse buy? :blink:

JSmith :ninja: