Sign in to follow this  
Groover !

Samsung Led Ua55b8000 ( First One In Australia)

I've lost my PIP. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn it on again. Doesn't show up in tools anywhere.

Dont forget the PIP will only work with other connections eg when using HDMI then you can access your inbuilt tuner.

It's back again today. Most confusing.

So after using the new set for a few weeks

how are you finding it?

all issues really resolved?

So after using the new set for a few weeks

how are you finding it?

all issues really resolved?

All issues resolved and enjoying it. :o The off axis viewing is not as good as my plasma but its far better than the last 2 displays.

The light bleeding has gone . To get the same results I'm afraid you need to do what I did and persist that you want a new unit. After almost 7 months I've got what I wanted.

Did you request a new unit from Samsung directly?

Is this light bleeding issue the same as the dim corners? ie. bright white screen, and see dark corners?

Did you request a new unit from Samsung directly?

Is this light bleeding issue the same as the dim corners? ie. bright white screen, and see dark corners?

The first tv had clouding issues, ..its like white clouds on dark backgrounds really frustrating when watching dvds but this one has it when changing channels on foxtel only and I can live with that. The first had really dark corners always visible but none on the new one.

The repair guy ordered my new one.

One thing Ill say about Samsung they REALLY looked after me.

What settings do you have your TV on?

What settings do you have your TV on?

Mode: Movie

Colour Tone: Warm2

Backlight: 3

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 40

Sharpness: 0

Colour: 50

Tint: 50/50

White Balance

R-Offset: 27

G-Offset: 28

B-Offset: 25

R-Gain: 26

G-Gain: 24

B-Gain: 21

Colour Space: custom

Red: red 35, green 0, blue 0

Green: red 53, green 50, blue 3

Blue: red 0, green 0, blue 50

Yellow: red 55, green 50, blue 8

Cyan: red 50, green 50, blue 50

Magenta: red 40, green 8, blue 55

Edge enhancement / motion plus etc etc...... all switched off

White Balance

R-Offset: 27

G-Offset: 28

B-Offset: 25

R-Gain: 26

G-Gain: 24

B-Gain: 21

Colour Space: custom

Red: red 35, green 0, blue 0

Green: red 53, green 50, blue 3

Blue: red 0, green 0, blue 50

Yellow: red 55, green 50, blue 8

Cyan: red 50, green 50, blue 50

Magenta: red 40, green 8, blue 55

Edge enhancement / motion plus etc etc...... all switched off

I couldn't watch mine with those settings.

I have it

Movie

Colour tone is normal

backlight 7

contrast 89

brightness 38

sharpness 20

colour 50

tint 52/48

Motion plus is on Custom with blur reduxtion 10 and judder on 4

The prob I have is white on screen writing with a black background doesn't look too flash. Increasing brightness fixes that but then I notice whiteness in black.

Edited by duke

With the backlight turned down low (3) how is the “LED” 8000 any different to the ccfl B750 LCD, or lower models that use a genuine Samsung SPVA panel? If you dont use "Motion Plus" (waste of time from what I have seen of it) the cheaper LED models should also be just as good.

I suspect your original 55” panel may have been a Chi Mei panel as used on the 55” B650. Samsung are inconsistent on what panel they use in any given model with the exception of 52” models which all seem to be SPVA.

Early “LED” Samsungs I saw had very obvious uniformity problems but the late model LED models that I have seen have all had SPVA panels which have superior screen uniformity and off axis viewing to the Chi Mei and AU Optoelectronics panels which are typically used in the lower end models these days.

You can check what panel is fitted to any Sammy LCD by looking at the sticker on the right hand side of the panel, the “Version” code starts with an S, an A or a C.

S= Samsung SPVA

C= Chi Mei Optoelectronics

A= AU Optoelectronics

Edited by Owen

Mine has SQ01 on the back.

that will be from the South Quarter, where only the most qualified ex terrorists and bomb makers are allowed to put together the panels ! :lol:

sorry just joking, next we'll be looking for which mine the iron has come out of to make the sheet metal ! .

merry christmas everyone !

angelo good to see your finally happy with something !

hehe they looked after you ? what else they going to do to get you off their backs ! :lol:

That’s a Sammy panel, I have a 52B750 which also has an SQ01 panel and its certainly very good, screen uniformity in the dark is exceptional with no clouding what so ever and no bright edges or corners, easier to achieve with a ccfl rather than with LED edge lighting.

Even with a Sammy panel you can be unlucky and get a dud, but the AU and CM panels are not in the same class.

I wounder how many people know that many Samsung LCD’s don’t come with a Samsung panel, it does not seem to be well known on this forum.

mine too :insert sigh of relief here:

The first tv had clouding issues, ..its like white clouds on dark backgrounds really frustrating when watching dvds but this one has it when changing channels on foxtel only and I can live with that.

I have the UA46B8000 and also can see the "clouds" when switching between sources. It is not there when watching a movie with all black sceen. Wonder why?

Also, what firmware do you have? I went to check and it said "002001". I find this odd because on the samsung website it has the latest as being "001008" ?

Link to firmware:

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/detail/s..._sub_class_cd=P

I am trying to see if this firmware will help with .MKV format file playback via DLNA. It works via the USB Ok, but not via DLNA.

Edited by phez

With the backlight turned down low (3) how is the “LED” 8000 any different to the ccfl B750 LCD, or lower models that use a genuine Samsung SPVA panel? If you dont use "Motion Plus" (waste of time from what I have seen of it) the cheaper LED models should also be just as good.

I suspect your original 55” panel may have been a Chi Mei panel as used on the 55” B650. Samsung are inconsistent on what panel they use in any given model with the exception of 52” models which all seem to be SPVA.

Early “LED” Samsungs I saw had very obvious uniformity problems but the late model LED models that I have seen have all had SPVA panels which have superior screen uniformity and off axis viewing to the Chi Mei and AU Optoelectronics panels which are typically used in the lower end models these days.

You can check what panel is fitted to any Sammy LCD by looking at the sticker on the right hand side of the panel, the “Version” code starts with an S, an A or a C.

S= Samsung SPVA

C= Chi Mei Optoelectronics

A= AU Optoelectronics

Interesting to know and glad to find my backlit panel also has SQ01 on the sticker. I gather then Angelo's first edglit panel was an inferior panel and the replacement isn't. I wondered how they could have rectified such issues with firmware only.

JSmith :ninja:

I couldn't watch mine with those settings.

I have it

Movie

Colour tone is normal

backlight 7

contrast 89

brightness 38

sharpness 20

colour 50

tint 52/48

Motion plus is on Custom with blur reduxtion 10 and judder on 4

The prob I have is white on screen writing with a black background doesn't look too flash. Increasing brightness fixes that but then I notice whiteness in black.

Its interesting how one personal taste can be so different to another. My settings were recommended by Samsung Australia.

Its interesting how one personal taste can be so different to another. My settings were recommended by Samsung Australia.

Angelo, what version is your firmware? Thanks

Agreed, both me and the wife (it must have been bad if she noticed, by her own admission) could not stand to have any hint of the motion enhancers etc on, just spoiled the PQ. With those all of and very similar to your original settings Angelo, I am extremely happy with mine.

What benefits does the latest 1008 firmware give?

I noticed mine only had this on it 2000/10/01_0010000

Contrast on LCD’s should be set as high as possible before clipping or colour shift occurs at or near white, this maintains the full dynamic range of the panel. On Sammy LCD’s this is usually in 95 to 100 region so 80 seems VERY low.

Edited by Owen

Hey Angelo, glad to hear the new panel is all ok. :)

People that have this panel could also try these settings from Tweak TV.

User Menu Settings

Picture Modes

Picture Mode : Movie

Color Temperature : Warm 2

Aspect Ratio : 16:9

Picture Settings

Backlight : 3

Contrast : 90

Brightness : 46

Sharpness : 0

Color : 47

Tint : G46/R54

Advanced Settings

Black Tone : Off

Dynamic Contrast : Off

Gamma : -1

Color Space : Auto

White Balance : Factory Default

Fleshtone : 0

Edge Enhancement : Off

XVYCC Color : Off

Picture Options

Color Tone : Warm 2

Size : 16:9

Digital NR : Off

HDMI Black Level : Low

Film Mode : Auto 1

Blue Only Mode : Off

Auto Motion Plus : Off

The colour decoding on Samsungs is typically very accurate, adjusting tint will screw things up.

Gamma is closest to the 2.2 standard at +2 and 90% contrast may still be too low.

Motion Plus in "Custom" with clarity on 10 certainly gives a sharp picture, but back light on 7 would be very bright for a dim viewing environment.

Edited by Owen

The colour decoding on Samsungs is typically very accurate, adjusting tint will screw things up.

Gamma is closest to the 2.2 standard at +2 and 90% contrast may still be too low.

Generally yes, however as stated in your reply in this thread;

Unfortunately the difficult settings like advanced colour and white balance cannot even be transferred between panels of different sizes let alone different series.

... every series and size can be quite different when it comes to calibration.