Samsung Led Ua55b8000 ( First One In Australia)

How easy are these to setup with Harmony remotes activities feature so it goes to the right source/AV/HDMI?

Be getting one of these next week.

Edited by duke
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How easy are these to setup with Harmony remotes activities feature so it goes to the right source/AV/HDMI?

Be getting one of these next week.

Anyone?

I bought the series 8 46 inch with a 5yr warranty for under $4k from harvey norman.Looks as good as my pioneer 50 inch i'd say.Very happy with it

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Ua55b8000 being delivered on the 6th Jan (Merry Christmas to me!). I've never had a panel tv before, only projectors, so looking forward to a new experience.

Any ideas on the best wall mount for this screen?

I've been reading the guides here for digital tv aerials and cabling, looks like an interesting challenge.

I've lost my PIP. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn it on again. Doesn't show up in tools anywhere.

Dont forget the PIP will only work with other connections eg when using HDMI then you can access your inbuilt tuner.

So after using the new set for a few weeks

how are you finding it?

all issues really resolved?

All issues resolved and enjoying it. :o The off axis viewing is not as good as my plasma but its far better than the last 2 displays.

The light bleeding has gone . To get the same results I'm afraid you need to do what I did and persist that you want a new unit. After almost 7 months I've got what I wanted.

Did you request a new unit from Samsung directly?

Is this light bleeding issue the same as the dim corners? ie. bright white screen, and see dark corners?

Did you request a new unit from Samsung directly?

Is this light bleeding issue the same as the dim corners? ie. bright white screen, and see dark corners?

The first tv had clouding issues, ..its like white clouds on dark backgrounds really frustrating when watching dvds but this one has it when changing channels on foxtel only and I can live with that. The first had really dark corners always visible but none on the new one.

The repair guy ordered my new one.

One thing Ill say about Samsung they REALLY looked after me.

What settings do you have your TV on?

Mode: Movie

Colour Tone: Warm2

Backlight: 3

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 40

Sharpness: 0

Colour: 50

Tint: 50/50

White Balance

R-Offset: 27

G-Offset: 28

B-Offset: 25

R-Gain: 26

G-Gain: 24

B-Gain: 21

Colour Space: custom

Red: red 35, green 0, blue 0

Green: red 53, green 50, blue 3

Blue: red 0, green 0, blue 50

Yellow: red 55, green 50, blue 8

Cyan: red 50, green 50, blue 50

Magenta: red 40, green 8, blue 55

Edge enhancement / motion plus etc etc...... all switched off

White Balance

R-Offset: 27

G-Offset: 28

B-Offset: 25

R-Gain: 26

G-Gain: 24

B-Gain: 21

Colour Space: custom

Red: red 35, green 0, blue 0

Green: red 53, green 50, blue 3

Blue: red 0, green 0, blue 50

Yellow: red 55, green 50, blue 8

Cyan: red 50, green 50, blue 50

Magenta: red 40, green 8, blue 55

Edge enhancement / motion plus etc etc...... all switched off

I couldn't watch mine with those settings.

I have it

Movie

Colour tone is normal

backlight 7

contrast 89

brightness 38

sharpness 20

colour 50

tint 52/48

Motion plus is on Custom with blur reduxtion 10 and judder on 4

The prob I have is white on screen writing with a black background doesn't look too flash. Increasing brightness fixes that but then I notice whiteness in black.

Edited by duke

With the backlight turned down low (3) how is the “LED” 8000 any different to the ccfl B750 LCD, or lower models that use a genuine Samsung SPVA panel? If you dont use "Motion Plus" (waste of time from what I have seen of it) the cheaper LED models should also be just as good.

I suspect your original 55” panel may have been a Chi Mei panel as used on the 55” B650. Samsung are inconsistent on what panel they use in any given model with the exception of 52” models which all seem to be SPVA.

Early “LED” Samsungs I saw had very obvious uniformity problems but the late model LED models that I have seen have all had SPVA panels which have superior screen uniformity and off axis viewing to the Chi Mei and AU Optoelectronics panels which are typically used in the lower end models these days.

You can check what panel is fitted to any Sammy LCD by looking at the sticker on the right hand side of the panel, the “Version” code starts with an S, an A or a C.

S= Samsung SPVA

C= Chi Mei Optoelectronics

A= AU Optoelectronics

Edited by Owen

Mine has SQ01 on the back.

that will be from the South Quarter, where only the most qualified ex terrorists and bomb makers are allowed to put together the panels ! :lol:

sorry just joking, next we'll be looking for which mine the iron has come out of to make the sheet metal ! .

merry christmas everyone !

angelo good to see your finally happy with something !

hehe they looked after you ? what else they going to do to get you off their backs ! :lol:

Mine has SQ01 on the back.

That’s a Sammy panel, I have a 52B750 which also has an SQ01 panel and its certainly very good, screen uniformity in the dark is exceptional with no clouding what so ever and no bright edges or corners, easier to achieve with a ccfl rather than with LED edge lighting.

Even with a Sammy panel you can be unlucky and get a dud, but the AU and CM panels are not in the same class.

I wounder how many people know that many Samsung LCD’s don’t come with a Samsung panel, it does not seem to be well known on this forum.

The first tv had clouding issues, ..its like white clouds on dark backgrounds really frustrating when watching dvds but this one has it when changing channels on foxtel only and I can live with that.

I have the UA46B8000 and also can see the "clouds" when switching between sources. It is not there when watching a movie with all black sceen. Wonder why?

Also, what firmware do you have? I went to check and it said "002001". I find this odd because on the samsung website it has the latest as being "001008" ?

Link to firmware:

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/detail/s..._sub_class_cd=P

I am trying to see if this firmware will help with .MKV format file playback via DLNA. It works via the USB Ok, but not via DLNA.

Edited by phez
With the backlight turned down low (3) how is the “LED” 8000 any different to the ccfl B750 LCD, or lower models that use a genuine Samsung SPVA panel? If you dont use "Motion Plus" (waste of time from what I have seen of it) the cheaper LED models should also be just as good.

I suspect your original 55” panel may have been a Chi Mei panel as used on the 55” B650. Samsung are inconsistent on what panel they use in any given model with the exception of 52” models which all seem to be SPVA.

Early “LED” Samsungs I saw had very obvious uniformity problems but the late model LED models that I have seen have all had SPVA panels which have superior screen uniformity and off axis viewing to the Chi Mei and AU Optoelectronics panels which are typically used in the lower end models these days.

You can check what panel is fitted to any Sammy LCD by looking at the sticker on the right hand side of the panel, the “Version” code starts with an S, an A or a C.

S= Samsung SPVA

C= Chi Mei Optoelectronics

A= AU Optoelectronics

Interesting to know and glad to find my backlit panel also has SQ01 on the sticker. I gather then Angelo's first edglit panel was an inferior panel and the replacement isn't. I wondered how they could have rectified such issues with firmware only.

JSmith :ninja:

I couldn't watch mine with those settings.

I have it

Movie

Colour tone is normal

backlight 7

contrast 89

brightness 38

sharpness 20

colour 50

tint 52/48

Motion plus is on Custom with blur reduxtion 10 and judder on 4

The prob I have is white on screen writing with a black background doesn't look too flash. Increasing brightness fixes that but then I notice whiteness in black.

Its interesting how one personal taste can be so different to another. My settings were recommended by Samsung Australia.

Its interesting how one personal taste can be so different to another. My settings were recommended by Samsung Australia.

Agreed, both me and the wife (it must have been bad if she noticed, by her own admission) could not stand to have any hint of the motion enhancers etc on, just spoiled the PQ. With those all of and very similar to your original settings Angelo, I am extremely happy with mine.

Contrast on LCD’s should be set as high as possible before clipping or colour shift occurs at or near white, this maintains the full dynamic range of the panel. On Sammy LCD’s this is usually in 95 to 100 region so 80 seems VERY low.

Edited by Owen

Hey Angelo, glad to hear the new panel is all ok. :)

People that have this panel could also try these settings from Tweak TV.

User Menu Settings

Picture Modes

Picture Mode : Movie

Color Temperature : Warm 2

Aspect Ratio : 16:9

Picture Settings

Backlight : 3

Contrast : 90

Brightness : 46

Sharpness : 0

Color : 47

Tint : G46/R54

Advanced Settings

Black Tone : Off

Dynamic Contrast : Off

Gamma : -1

Color Space : Auto

White Balance : Factory Default

Fleshtone : 0

Edge Enhancement : Off

XVYCC Color : Off

Picture Options

Color Tone : Warm 2

Size : 16:9

Digital NR : Off

HDMI Black Level : Low

Film Mode : Auto 1

Blue Only Mode : Off

Auto Motion Plus : Off

The colour decoding on Samsungs is typically very accurate, adjusting tint will screw things up.

Gamma is closest to the 2.2 standard at +2 and 90% contrast may still be too low.

Motion Plus in "Custom" with clarity on 10 certainly gives a sharp picture, but back light on 7 would be very bright for a dim viewing environment.

Edited by Owen
The colour decoding on Samsungs is typically very accurate, adjusting tint will screw things up.

Gamma is closest to the 2.2 standard at +2 and 90% contrast may still be too low.

Generally yes, however as stated in your reply in this thread;

Unfortunately the difficult settings like advanced colour and white balance cannot even be transferred between panels of different sizes let alone different series.

... every series and size can be quite different when it comes to calibration.

True, but certain principals remain the same, I would be VERY surprised if any current Samsung LCD is best set to 80% contrast or needs any tint adjustment.

I have seen PLENTY of bad settings posted on the net.

Edited by Owen
True, but certain principals remain the same, I would be VERY surprised if any current Samsung LCD is best set to 80% contrast or needs any tint adjustment.

I have seen PLENTY of bad settings posted on the net.

The settings I posted had contrast at 90%, of course for a dark room environment so possibly bump up contrast and/or backlight for a room with more light.

The settings below from this site could be better then as the contrast level is a little higher as is the backlight and gamma level. I note however these settings still suggest a change in tint.

"Calibration: Calibrating white balance was somewhat difficult on this LED TV. Blue tones were especially difficult to dial in perfectly as they lacked consistency. To dial in close to D6500 start out by changing the Picture Mode to Movie and Color temperature to Warm 2 and follow the following picture settings:

White Balance Settings

Red - Offset 30

Green - Offset 25

Blue - Offset 19

Red - Gain 17

Green - Gain 19

Blue - Gain 44

Picture Settings

Picture Mode: Movie

Color Temp: Warm 2

Brightness: 44

Contrast: 93

Color: 43

Tint: G47/R53

Sharpness: 10

Backlight: 7

Picture Settings

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

Flesh Tone: Off

Edge Enhancement: Off

Digital NR: Auto

HDMI Black Level: Low

Film Mode: Auto 1

Color Filter: Off "

Hi all. Just picked up my UA55B8000 yesterday and hooked it up last night. Only played around a little bit, but thus far very happy with the picture quality. This was my first upgrade since my Sony 36" CRT, which finally broke after 6 hard years of use on Sunday. Had to rush out and buy something without time to do much research - not an ideal situation but from what I could tell this set is certainly one of the best on the market at the moment. I did see the new LG, which the guy at Good Guys raved about, but no one had them in stock and only this one shop even knew that the 55" 200Hz existed before checking their systems. The LG and Samsung were not next to each other, but moving between the two I couldn't see any PQ difference.

Thanks to those who are posting their recommended settings. I believe that settings are all about personal taste and that there is no such thing as "crap" settings if you like them, which is why I like trying different people's settings and seeing what they look like. For example, I tried Angelo's settings from Samsung and could definitely see that they were very natural, however I personally prefer a little more brightness and depth in colour - not so realistic, but I don't care.

Only issue to date is that I am having troubles playing mkv files from the media player (still waiting for Beyonwiz to fix their issues playing 1080p mkv's, which has been a problem for me for 2 years now). This is a massive disappointment given the hype this functionality is given by Samsung.

I have played one mkv file and had no probs. It was a 720p mkv file though so I dunno if that makes a difference.

Edited by duke
I have played one mkv file and had no probs.

Some work, no question. However on others I get an Audio Codec not supported message. The video continues to play, just no sound. So my BW plays anything except the 1080p files and the TV plays video no matter what, but has an audio conflict issue.

The settings I posted had contrast at 90%, of course for a dark room environment so possibly bump up contrast and/or backlight for a room with more light.

It’s not a good idea to just use a bunch of settings without understanding why. For example the “Contrast” control on an LCD should NOT be used to adjust the set for different lighting conditions, that is what the backlight is for. Using any less than the highest possible contrast setting (within colour accuracy limits) just reduces the already limited contrast ratio of the TV, lowering the back light to control light output has the advantage of lowering black level without affecting contrast ratio. Dynamic backlight systems can also make Contrast adjustment more difficult.

As for Gamma, it cannot be measured on any set with dynamic contrast/backlighting (which the Sammy LED LCD’s use). Unless dynamic contrast can be disabled (service menu) any attempt to measure Gamma will lead to inaccurate and misleading results. If you can’t disable dynamic back lighting it’s better to use a known good reference monitor and do a visual comparison to judge Gamma rather than attempt measurement.

The “Brightness” setting will vary depending on signal source and ambient lighting conditions so using some one else’s setting is typically pointless

Edited by Owen
Only issue to date is that I am having troubles playing mkv files from the media player (still waiting for Beyonwiz to fix their issues playing 1080p mkv's, which has been a problem for me for 2 years now). This is a massive disappointment given the hype this functionality is given by Samsung.
I have played one mkv file and had no probs. It was a 720p mkv file though so I dunno if that makes a difference.

I have read on whirlpool that the Samsung Led tvs will play mkv but not the ones with DTS sound so you will have to convert the sound to another format or download ones with different sound type such as AC3 which is supported, im very disappointed that these new tvs don't support this thats what i was looking forward to doing, thanks to Somewhereelse on whirlpool here are a list of some supported formats http://img17.imageshack.us/i/dscn0040b.jpg/

And this was posted by andycb as well

From the Samsung 650 manual (USB port movies) :

Extension / Container / Video Decoder / Audio Codec / Resolution

*.avi AVI

Divx 3.11 / 4.x / 5.1 / 6.0

MP3

AC3

LPCM

ADPCM

720x576

XviD 1920x1080

H.264 BP / MP / HP 1920x1080

MPEG4 SP / ASP 1920x1080

Motion JPEG 800x600

*.mkv MKV

MP3

AC3

LPCM

ADPCM

720x576

XviD 1920x1080

MPEG4 SP / ASP 1920x1080

Motion JPEG 800x600

*.asf ASF

MP3

AC3

LPCM

ADPCM

WMA

720x576

XviD 1920x1080

MPEG4 SP / ASP 1920x1080

Motion JPEG 800x600

*.wmv ASF VC1 WMA 1920x1080

*.mp4 MP4

(SMP4)

H.264 BP / MP / HP

MP3

ADPCM

AAC

1920x1080

MPEG4 SP / ASP 1920x1080

XVID 1920x1080

*.3gp 3GPP

H.264 BP / MP / HP ADPCM

AAC

1920x1080

MPEG4 SP / ASP 1920x1080

*.vro VRO

VOB

MPEG2 AC3

MPEG

LPCM

1920x1080

MPEG1 1920x1080

*.mpg

*.mpeg PS

MPEG1 AC3

MPEG

PCM

1920x1080

MPEG2 1920x1080

*.ts

*.tp

*.trp

TS

MPEG2

AAC

MP3

1920x1080

H.264 1920x1080

VC1 1920x1080

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1305880

You are streaming them over a network right?, if so i would suggested downloading a program called tversity(free) which as far as i know will auto-convert the files on the fly while you are watching but seeing they are large files it might not work

http://tversity.com/download/

here is a review on american cable tv http://tversity.com/tversity-featured-on-attack-of-the-show/

Hope it help, please tell me what happpens because im going to buy one in the next 3 to 4months and i really don't want to buy a STB just to play mkvs with DTS sound

Also is there much difference between AC3 and DTS if you are only using the TV for sound?

Edited by tess1988

Firstly, thanks for all the great advice on this thread, and the forum in general...

I have read on whirlpool that the Samsung Led tvs will play mkv but not the ones with DTS sound so you will have to convert the sound to another format or download ones with different sound type such as AC3 which is supported, im very disappointed that these new tvs don't support this thats what i was looking forward to doing..................

.............Hope it help, please tell me what happpens because im going to buy one in the next 3 to 4months and i really don't want to buy a STB just to play mkvs with DTS sound

Also is there much difference between AC3 and DTS if you are only using the TV for sound?

I can confirm that the B8000 does indeed play 720p & 1080p mkv files with AC3 audio. It WILL NOT play DTS audio. Funny thinking about this... you can buy a cheap DVD player that will playback DTS, a cheap amp that will decode DTS and a $5500 Samsung LED edgelit panel that will not.... Go Figure...

Using the TV for sound there is no difference essentially.... Just trying to find people that have ripped movies with AC3 is bloody hard.. most rip DTS, so I have found.... LOL

With regard to buying an STB just to play mkvs... I have a WD TV box in the bedroom for my Philips panel and it plays back the mkvs with DTS just fine... so WE either need to convince Samsung that they f_ked up with not including the DTS on these panels and get a result which hopefully is fixable in firmware (I don't know if this is possible) or settle for having to play them back as previously suggested, or through the WD TV like I do currently... which means paying the $2000 more is a waste of dollars really... Or download the AC3 equiv as already suggested...

Bloody nice set though, blew me away... i don't have much off axis issues side to side but if I stand up the picture looks woefull.... (I have it on a low-line unit right now, not wall mounted)

Groover... Is there anyway to tell if my set is one of the improved models? I have not inspected it since reading this thread, but will certainly look tonight to see panel specs etc... Purchased from HN end of August/Early November....

Also I am having issues with firmware updates... I downloaded the July dated firmware files (released Aug) however it states it cannot find any firmware files on my USB thumbdrive... Firmware on the TV is as already mentioned in a previous post, lots of zeros and ones... LOL

I have also read (I do take what I read with a grain of salt) that plugging in non-powered USB drives will kill the panel, any thoughts on this? Most of my drives are externally powered anyhow, not through USB...

Anyone in the market for a second hand Toshiba 36SW9UA?? I gave my 42" Pana Plaz to my Mother for Christmas... Not a great viewing experience at all... The Samsung is in a different league, although at 2.5x the price, so it should be... I overpaid looking at this thread... Late August I paid $6600 for B8000, Samsung "picture frame" wall mount, USB WiFi and 5 year extended warranty, plus deferred payment for 20 months... (I agree that makes bargaining a lot harder)

I will also try the recommended settings on this forum, as I too am having issues with white clouding, although mine tend to be on a black screen, eminating from the edge lighting and three per side, top centre and bottom of each side about 3 inches (7cm) in diameter and about 2 inches (5cm) in from the side...

SPEAKER QUALITY

And for those knocking the speaker quality (each to their own, but here's my two cents worth).... Who uses TV speakers? OK, so maybe some people do... But I bought a $90 set of Logitech 5.1 speakers for the bedroom and they play DTS "loverly"... LOL TV speakers are always crap, even my Toshiba with built in sub woofer was crap...

Seriously.. anyone buying a $5500 55" TV would surely be playing sound back through a home theatre system... surely?

There, I think I have responded to the sections that I am no doubt not qualified to answer... just my two cents worth... I hear the hornets buzzing... ;)

HARMONY REMOTE

Oh... hang... Yes the inputs configure OK on the Harmony... I have a Harmony 1000 and a Harmony One. I have configured both to work. One thing I will say is that when selecting the activity "Watch USB" it does tend to wander about trying to find the input but a simple push of the OK button on the Harmony remote seems to confirm.. I am sure with a bit of fiddling I could get this to work.. Any other activity works fine. Keep in mind the original remote for the TV is RF and so will work from any angle... obstruct the front lower section of the TV at all and the Harmony will not respond as favourably, since it is IR...

Rudolph

Hi all. Just got my HDMI cables and hooked up everything last night. This is my first HMDI set, but I had been told by my firendly retailer that if a digital signal was sent to the TV via HDMI (such as from my PVR / PS3) that this would be passed trhough to the optical out which I have connected to my receiver. Unfortunately I cannot get this to work and cannot find any settings in the manual about it. If I play a HD channel on the TV with the speaker setting at external, the Dolby Digital signal is received by the amp, same if I play the same channel on my PVR with sound going straight to the AMP. However, if sound is sent from my PVR to the TV via HDMI and the TV is set on external speakers the signal received is only 2 channel. Am I doing something wrong here or have I been fed a bunch of crap by my retailer?

Hi all. Just got my HDMI cables and hooked up everything last night. This is my first HMDI set, but I had been told by my firendly retailer that if a digital signal was sent to the TV via HDMI (such as from my PVR / PS3) that this would be passed trhough to the optical out which I have connected to my receiver. Unfortunately I cannot get this to work and cannot find any settings in the manual about it. If I play a HD channel on the TV with the speaker setting at external, the Dolby Digital signal is received by the amp, same if I play the same channel on my PVR with sound going straight to the AMP. However, if sound is sent from my PVR to the TV via HDMI and the TV is set on external speakers the signal received is only 2 channel. Am I doing something wrong here or have I been fed a bunch of crap by my retailer?

There's been a bit of discussion about this in other threads on here, but what you are seeing is essentially correct in that you will only get 2 channel audio passed out to the optical out on the TV from a HDMI source. It's not just your model TV as from what I've read here it is fairly much the same across all makes and models.