Samsung Led Ua55b8000 ( First One In Australia)

With me I'm so frig-en picky with things I don't think Ill ever be happy with any display. Congrats and I hope you enjoy it.

At one stage I was keen on one of these TV's but reading this thread put me off so I did not buy one

Today I was in hardly normal and they had one set up with a blu-ray movie.

I was impressed with the PQ and spent a lot of time trying to find the off angle problem.

Either my standards are low or the panel I saw was a good one, because I could not see hardly any differennce in the color or contrast or brightness untill I was so far off centre the other people in store were wondering what I was up to.

Honestly off angle is not a problem as far as my eyes are concerned.

at 3-4 meters in front of set picture quality does not change significantly for a width of at least 3 meters

that is 1.5 meters each side of centre, so imho 4 people could sit side by side at 3 meters distance and see identical PQ.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At one stage I was keen on one of these TV's but reading this thread put me off so I did not buy one

I was impressed with the PQ and spent a lot of time trying to find the off angle problem.

Either my standards are low or the panel I saw was a good one, because I could not see hardly any differennce in the color or contrast or brightness untill I was so far off centre the other people in store were wondering what I was up to.

at 3-4 meters in front of set picture quality does not change significantly for a width of at least 3 meters

that is 1.5 meters each side of centre, so imho 4 people could sit side by side at 3 meters distance and see identical PQ.

I couldn't agree more. I also was interested in this TV for awhile but reading this thread put me off a little. But then I went down to the shops and looked at a few myself I couldn't find any problem with off axis viewing. I have since bought one and couldn't be happier with it. The picture quality is amazing once calibrated and I would put it up there with the Pioneers that I have viewed. I guess you can't believe everything you read and it really just comes down to what looks good for yourself as you are the one buying it in the end..

Well its me again, though I would update the next chapter in my telly stories ! Ill give you 2 guesses what's happening to my Samsung A950.................... GOT IT IN ONE.................. its going back :blink: ! The off viewing axis problem just got to me.

Samsung are now going to give me another UA55B8000 :o but this one is the updated version with all the problems fixed.

I can hear most of you saying "Angelo is just nuts, why doesn't just get another brand" :wacko:

Well let me tell you that Samsung has really bent over backwards for me , so I'm sticking with them.

You guys had better be right about the off axis viewing now, or Ill hunt yous down ! :winky:

has anyone got any good calebration settings for a HTPC for this monitor?

i saw a review linked here somewhere not sur eif calibrated or not but sitting beside the a950 in a dark room teh blacks were grey.

Well its me again, though I would update the next chapter in my telly stories ! Ill give you 2 guesses what's happening to my Samsung A950.................... GOT IT IN ONE.................. its going back :blink: ! The off viewing axis problem just got to me.

Samsung are now going to give me another UA55B8000 :o but this one is the updated version with all the problems fixed.

I can hear most of you saying "Angelo is just nuts, why doesn't just get another brand" :wacko:

Well let me tell you that Samsung has really bent over backwards for me , so I'm sticking with them.

You guys had better be right about the off axis viewing now, or Ill hunt yous down ! :winky:

Well keep us up to date

I am happy with my UA55B8000 for the most part, there is a little light bleeding in the corners, which is driving me nuts, but i only notice it on some movies and only when it's dark. But sometimes it never shows up on Dark movies, eg i watched Sin City on blu-ray and it looked perfrect. and that is a dark movie.

But then i watched I am Legend and you can really see the light bleeding in the corners in the dark parts of the movie.

I just can't get over the size of the TV i went from a 32' to a 55' that alown is well worth it

Fair enough I suppose, if it annoys it annoys... but couldn't you have just got a swivel stand to put it on? I find the off axis viewing is fine apart from the colours getting a bit washed out, and I rarely watch the tv from off angle anyway.

I'd prefer the have this very minor issue rather than horrendous screen uniformity, which the model you have swapped to is known for...

You could wait for the 8500 which comes out next year as well.

Anwyay, I'm sure in most viewing situations it is fine, so enjoy the new panel.

JSmith :ninja:

Fair enough I suppose, if it annoys it annoys... but couldn't you have just got a swivel stand to put it on? I find the off axis viewing is fine apart from the colours getting a bit washed out, and I rarely watch the tv from off angle anyway.

I'd prefer the have this very minor issue rather than horrendous screen uniformity, which the model you have swapped to is known for...

You could wait for the 8500 which comes out next year as well.

Anwyay, I'm sure in most viewing situations it is fine, so enjoy the new panel.

I was told that we would not see the 8500 in Australia. In any case I've red the reports on the 8500 on the AV Forums in the USA and the off axis viewing is just as bad.

Hey if the screen uniformity is as bad as the 1st one have a guess what Ill be doing ?

I was told that we would not see the 8500 in Australia. In any case I've red the reports on the 8500 on the AV Forums in the USA and the off axis viewing is just as bad.

Hey if the screen uniformity is as bad as the 1st one have a guess what Ill be doing ?

Hey Angelo any feedback on the new LG LED's? Ive starting seeing advertising for them around.

Cheers Ryan

So have you received it yet?

This weekend Samsung have a sellout incentive deal this weekend, this unit is selling as cheap as $4500 with a free 26" unit, well worth it. Its a deal hard to beat. Ive just put though an order.

This weekend Samsung have a sellout incentive deal this weekend, this unit is selling as cheap as $4500 with a free 26" unit, well worth it. Its a deal hard to beat. Ive just put though an order.

At all stores? Or is this selected stores? I haven't seen a price like that anywhere. Where have you made your order?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this TV. There are no "good ones or bad ones" - this is something invented on this forum.

Be careful as there are a few weirdo's around here who seem to get their kicks from being hyper-critical about something that is just a television.

They call some models "keepers" they are that strange !!!!.

You get a lot of these types on the Internet. I am old enough and smart enough to ignore the 1/2 glass empty posters - it takes a while but you can soon spot them.

If you like the panel just buy it and enjoy (like I do). Everyone in my house + any visitors who have seen my new tv just love it.

Edited by Doug

The screen uniformity issues on the edge lit “LED” models are well known and easy enough to see, as are the off axis viewing limitations. It wont be obvious in a brightly lit showroom and not everyone will care even when they do see the problems, but that does no mean the problems don’t exist.

What I find amusing is that the B750 ccfl models have superior screen uniformity and off axis viewing to the edge lit “LED” models and are just as good in other areas of performance for a lot less cash. What is the attraction of these edge lit “LED” models?

The screen uniformity issues on the edge lit “LED” models are well known and easy enough to see, as are the off axis viewing limitations. It wont be obvious in a brightly lit showroom and not everyone will care even when they do see the problems, but that does no mean the problems don’t exist.

What I find amusing is that the B750 ccfl models have superior screen uniformity and off axis viewing to the edge lit “LED” models and are just as good in other areas of performance for a lot less cash. What is the attraction of these edge lit “LED” models?

I think it is the "THIN" wank factor that makes people buy these models. Personally, the image on these edge lit panels does not appeal, it is just too "cartoon like" as other posters have already mentioned. Each to their own.

I think it is the "THIN" wank factor that makes people buy these models. Personally, the image on these edge lit panels does not appeal, it is just too "cartoon like" as other posters have already mentioned. Each to their own.

It cant be the thin design as the series 8 side lit LED TVs are 29.9mm thick and the 8 series plasma is 29.5mm ! :blink:

It cant be price either as the 8series 50" plasma is $3,299 and even if you go down to the 46" side lit LED its $4699 :o

It cant be the picture quality, as seing it side to side to the plasma youd be nuts to take the side lit LED. ;)

anyways as you say, each to their own... :rolleyes:

It cant be price either as the 8series 50" plasma is $3,299 and even if you go down to the 46" side lit LED its $4699 :o

Bought my 55" 8 series LED for $4500 on the weekend. Well worth it if your saying the 46" is selling for the same price..

When I bought my LED it was because I had seen it, outside of a shop and it had a fabulous picture.

Owen, my LED now goes where my 58 inch rear pro Hitachi (same model you had) used to be so no need for a thin TV. I have noticed no screen issues or problems with off axis viewing.

Guys, some of us purchase what we see and like. Doesnt need to be a "wank" factor just cause you have different opinions, the picture, when settings are adjusted looks great, not cartoon like at all.

Al, friends next door have a plasma (50 inch Pana) and I have an LED, I dont consider myself nuts and when they saw mine, neither did they.

But as you say, each to their own. ;)

J.

When I bought my LED it was because I had seen it, outside of a shop and it had a fabulous picture.

Owen, my LED now goes where my 58 inch rear pro Hitachi (same model you had) used to be so no need for a thin TV. I have noticed no screen issues or problems with off axis viewing.

Guys, some of us purchase what we see and like. Doesnt need to be a "wank" factor just cause you have different opinions, the picture, when settings are adjusted looks great, not cartoon like at all.

Al, friends next door have a plasma (50 inch Pana) and I have an LED, I dont consider myself nuts and when they saw mine, neither did they.

But as you say, each to their own. ;)

J.

Agreed.

I haven't been able to find any problem with off axis viewing. As everyone says, it's your money and your choice, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Well my story continues as the UA55B8000 replacement has arrived. Its been up and running for 24 hours and all the major problems have gone :) . Looks like Samsung has listened and so for now I've got a Telly that is just simply stunning.

So until my Digital Poltergeist COMES OUT OF THE WOOD WORK, I'm going to say it " I'm really happy " :blink:

Bought my 55" 8 series LED for $4500 on the weekend. Well worth it if your saying the 46" is selling for the same price..

Hi Mate,

Could you please provide me with the reciept for this? or let me know where you got it from?

I had $3899 for the 46inch so another 600 for an extra 9 inches won't hurt! :)

Did you get extended warranty? if so how much?

Thanks

Hey Angelo i saw a LG LED instore today at JB :D looks pretty good pal,borderless design thing looks nice PQ looked great but it would need a keen eye such as your selves to see how it really performs :D it was only 42" though.

Cheers Ryan

Stop it ! I don't need any more evil voices going on inside my head ! :P

So is all the light bleeding in the corners gone?

If so how do i get the same result?

The light bleeding has gone . To get the same results I'm afraid you need to do what I did and persist that you want a new unit. After almost 7 months I've got what I wanted.

Hi all, I am looking at getting one of the samsung 55 inch LED backlit TVs and was wondering what people's opinions were of the different models. I am tempted to get the 6000 as its cheaper than the 8000. As far as the features I dont see the need for the wireless function as I have a PS3 and haven't heard good things about 200hz.

The other option I was looking at was either the 50 or 58inch samsung series 8 plasma. Was wondering why people went for the LED backlight models over the series 8 plasma?

The light bleeding has gone . To get the same results I'm afraid you need to do what I did and persist that you want a new unit. After almost 7 months I've got what I wanted.

Cool, I'm glad your happy with the new panel. How was this rectified though, must've been a software difference between the 2? You wouldn't think the panels themselves would be different. So in a dark room with a black screen there are no light corners anymore? I liked these panels, but they were overpriced for me and the reports of screen issues put me off. I may get one later though when they get cheaper if they have addressed these problems.

Hi all, I am looking at getting one of the samsung 55 inch LED backlit TVs and was wondering what people's opinions were of the different models. I am tempted to get the 6000 as its cheaper than the 8000. As far as the features I dont see the need for the wireless function as I have a PS3 and haven't heard good things about 200hz.

The other option I was looking at was either the 50 or 58inch samsung series 8 plasma. Was wondering why people went for the LED backlight models over the series 8 plasma?

Did you mean edgelit or backlit?

The 6, 7 & 8 series LED screens (the new ones) are edgelit and some have reported problems with screen unifomity etc. Even if this has been fixed, they are very expensive for what you get compared to others. If you want to get a LED backlit screen, these can be better, especially when "local dimming" of the LED's is employed. I think Sharp have a new range of LED backlit screens, although these are always on, not dimmed depending on the blacks in the picture. The PQ on these is excellent though. Samsung series 9 and a sony xbr45 I think are discontinued but have this feature. There is a new LG LED backlit panel, not sure about this one as I haven't checked them out. Samsung have the 8500 out in the USA, but I'm not sure if that will come out here as Samsung are still busy marketing the edgelit panels. What's the light level like in your place, as the plasmas reflect alot. Not just that but the LCD's are brighter, and even if some are a little reflective the ambient light doesn't affect the picture detail as much as the plasmas (IMO) due to the screen filters used. If it's quite dark all the time, plasma may be better.

Edited by jsmith
Hi Mate,

Could you please provide me with the reciept for this? or let me know where you got it from?

I had $3899 for the 46inch so another 600 for an extra 9 inches won't hurt! :)

Did you get extended warranty? if so how much?

Thanks

Hi There,

Here was one of the flyers.

http://www.kambos.com.au/uploads/specials/375372/375372.pdf

Unfortunatly the deal is now over, so you will have to wait for the next one, but keep in mind that you can get it for that cheap if you wait.

With regards to the TV it is stunning. The only way I can describe it is that it is like looking though a window. The realism is amazing.