Samsung Led Ua55b8000 ( First One In Australia)

The screen uniformity issues on the edge lit “LED” models are well known and easy enough to see, as are the off axis viewing limitations. It wont be obvious in a brightly lit showroom and not everyone will care even when they do see the problems, but that does no mean the problems don’t exist.

What I find amusing is that the B750 ccfl models have superior screen uniformity and off axis viewing to the edge lit “LED” models and are just as good in other areas of performance for a lot less cash. What is the attraction of these edge lit “LED” models?

I think it is the "THIN" wank factor that makes people buy these models. Personally, the image on these edge lit panels does not appeal, it is just too "cartoon like" as other posters have already mentioned. Each to their own.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is the "THIN" wank factor that makes people buy these models. Personally, the image on these edge lit panels does not appeal, it is just too "cartoon like" as other posters have already mentioned. Each to their own.

It cant be the thin design as the series 8 side lit LED TVs are 29.9mm thick and the 8 series plasma is 29.5mm ! :blink:

It cant be price either as the 8series 50" plasma is $3,299 and even if you go down to the 46" side lit LED its $4699 :o

It cant be the picture quality, as seing it side to side to the plasma youd be nuts to take the side lit LED. ;)

anyways as you say, each to their own... :rolleyes:

It cant be price either as the 8series 50" plasma is $3,299 and even if you go down to the 46" side lit LED its $4699 :o

Bought my 55" 8 series LED for $4500 on the weekend. Well worth it if your saying the 46" is selling for the same price..

When I bought my LED it was because I had seen it, outside of a shop and it had a fabulous picture.

Owen, my LED now goes where my 58 inch rear pro Hitachi (same model you had) used to be so no need for a thin TV. I have noticed no screen issues or problems with off axis viewing.

Guys, some of us purchase what we see and like. Doesnt need to be a "wank" factor just cause you have different opinions, the picture, when settings are adjusted looks great, not cartoon like at all.

Al, friends next door have a plasma (50 inch Pana) and I have an LED, I dont consider myself nuts and when they saw mine, neither did they.

But as you say, each to their own. ;)

J.

When I bought my LED it was because I had seen it, outside of a shop and it had a fabulous picture.

Owen, my LED now goes where my 58 inch rear pro Hitachi (same model you had) used to be so no need for a thin TV. I have noticed no screen issues or problems with off axis viewing.

Guys, some of us purchase what we see and like. Doesnt need to be a "wank" factor just cause you have different opinions, the picture, when settings are adjusted looks great, not cartoon like at all.

Al, friends next door have a plasma (50 inch Pana) and I have an LED, I dont consider myself nuts and when they saw mine, neither did they.

But as you say, each to their own. ;)

J.

Agreed.

I haven't been able to find any problem with off axis viewing. As everyone says, it's your money and your choice, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Well my story continues as the UA55B8000 replacement has arrived. Its been up and running for 24 hours and all the major problems have gone :) . Looks like Samsung has listened and so for now I've got a Telly that is just simply stunning.

So until my Digital Poltergeist COMES OUT OF THE WOOD WORK, I'm going to say it " I'm really happy " :blink:

Bought my 55" 8 series LED for $4500 on the weekend. Well worth it if your saying the 46" is selling for the same price..

Hi Mate,

Could you please provide me with the reciept for this? or let me know where you got it from?

I had $3899 for the 46inch so another 600 for an extra 9 inches won't hurt! :)

Did you get extended warranty? if so how much?

Thanks

Hey Angelo i saw a LG LED instore today at JB :D looks pretty good pal,borderless design thing looks nice PQ looked great but it would need a keen eye such as your selves to see how it really performs :D it was only 42" though.

Cheers Ryan

Stop it ! I don't need any more evil voices going on inside my head ! :P

Hi all, I am looking at getting one of the samsung 55 inch LED backlit TVs and was wondering what people's opinions were of the different models. I am tempted to get the 6000 as its cheaper than the 8000. As far as the features I dont see the need for the wireless function as I have a PS3 and haven't heard good things about 200hz.

The other option I was looking at was either the 50 or 58inch samsung series 8 plasma. Was wondering why people went for the LED backlight models over the series 8 plasma?

The light bleeding has gone . To get the same results I'm afraid you need to do what I did and persist that you want a new unit. After almost 7 months I've got what I wanted.

Cool, I'm glad your happy with the new panel. How was this rectified though, must've been a software difference between the 2? You wouldn't think the panels themselves would be different. So in a dark room with a black screen there are no light corners anymore? I liked these panels, but they were overpriced for me and the reports of screen issues put me off. I may get one later though when they get cheaper if they have addressed these problems.

JSmith :ninja:

Hi all, I am looking at getting one of the samsung 55 inch LED backlit TVs and was wondering what people's opinions were of the different models. I am tempted to get the 6000 as its cheaper than the 8000. As far as the features I dont see the need for the wireless function as I have a PS3 and haven't heard good things about 200hz.

The other option I was looking at was either the 50 or 58inch samsung series 8 plasma. Was wondering why people went for the LED backlight models over the series 8 plasma?

Did you mean edgelit or backlit?

The 6, 7 & 8 series LED screens (the new ones) are edgelit and some have reported problems with screen unifomity etc. Even if this has been fixed, they are very expensive for what you get compared to others. If you want to get a LED backlit screen, these can be better, especially when "local dimming" of the LED's is employed. I think Sharp have a new range of LED backlit screens, although these are always on, not dimmed depending on the blacks in the picture. The PQ on these is excellent though. Samsung series 9 and a sony xbr45 I think are discontinued but have this feature. There is a new LG LED backlit panel, not sure about this one as I haven't checked them out. Samsung have the 8500 out in the USA, but I'm not sure if that will come out here as Samsung are still busy marketing the edgelit panels. What's the light level like in your place, as the plasmas reflect alot. Not just that but the LCD's are brighter, and even if some are a little reflective the ambient light doesn't affect the picture detail as much as the plasmas (IMO) due to the screen filters used. If it's quite dark all the time, plasma may be better.

JSmith :ninja:

Edited by jsmith

Hi Mate,

Could you please provide me with the reciept for this? or let me know where you got it from?

I had $3899 for the 46inch so another 600 for an extra 9 inches won't hurt! :)

Did you get extended warranty? if so how much?

Thanks

Hi There,

Here was one of the flyers.

http://www.kambos.com.au/uploads/specials/375372/375372.pdf

Unfortunatly the deal is now over, so you will have to wait for the next one, but keep in mind that you can get it for that cheap if you wait.

With regards to the TV it is stunning. The only way I can describe it is that it is like looking though a window. The realism is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Ua55b8000 being delivered on the 6th Jan (Merry Christmas to me!). I've never had a panel tv before, only projectors, so looking forward to a new experience.

Any ideas on the best wall mount for this screen?

I've been reading the guides here for digital tv aerials and cabling, looks like an interesting challenge.