Samsung Led Ua55b8000 ( First One In Australia)

I know I have asked this before mate, but how is the picture “quality” of the 8000 any different to other Samsung LCD’s? Brightness is not a measure of “quality”, so what other aspects of performance do you consider better?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't like the PQ on the PS58B850 compared to the UA55B8000 though. I would wait to see what else Sammy brings out as I'm now a big fan of their LCD TV PQ.

How do you find sports on the B8000, pretty smooth? I've only ever seen them playing a blu-ray or a looping demo disc.

What aspects weren't you happy with the B850 picture?

I know I have asked this before mate, but how is the picture “quality” of the 8000 any different to other Samsung LCD’s? Brightness is not a measure of “quality”, so what other aspects of performance do you consider better?

It just is. Its kinda hard to explain in technical terms but when watching HD material the 8000 has the most life like picture than any other LCD I've ever seen. It could be down to the side lighting or the 200 Hertz picture. But trust me with all of its faults and it has a few, why do you think I trying to get it fixed, and not simply sent back like I usually do.

How do you find sports on the B8000, pretty smooth? I've only ever seen them playing a blu-ray or a looping demo disc.

What aspects weren't you happy with the B850 picture?

One of the best displays for sports. I've got a Pioneer plasma which has a sharper and natural look than the B850.

The only thing that I cant understand about the 8000 is when watching a show like Home and Away the PQ is just fantastic but the judder is really bad. Its one of the very few shows that it does that with.

Ignoring the price, would you buy the 8000 now, or wait for the 8500 which is supposedly released in September? Is there any associated lag-time between release in the US and AUS?

Definitely wait for the 8500 as I hope they would have addressed all of the problems <_< .

Many thanks for your advice. Could I also ask - what options are there for audio output? Can the unit pass through optical audio from an hdmi source @ 5.1? the Samsung website is next to useless in this regard!

The only audio out put from the tv is optical.

Sooo............ I asked the Samsung distributor when the 8500 was coming and he said it was an overseas only model. Not coming to Australia.

This statement, coupled with the fact that our LCD died, has lead to the purchase of the UA55B8000 and my god is it impressive!

Whipped out the Iron Man Blu-Ray and I was picking up details that I'd never seen before.

I have two queries:

1) Have you tried the wi-fi adaptor, and if so, where'd you purchase from?

2) On a black screen with a small amount of black text, does the text appear dim?

Well I've had enough of it. As much as I love this screen its short comings drive me nuts so she is history. The 8500 is only an American model (WTF) and we are not getting it.

They are going to replace it with the A950 (apparently I only had the 950 before <_< ) Its a extinct model. Only this time I'm going to look at it at the warehouse first and if I don't like it , I get a full refund.

The joys of it all. :blush:

I had a great look at one of these yesterday, and I agree with all of you lucky buyers, easily the best TV I have seen in a really long time.

What a stunner.

If I could justify upgrading our 50" Pana Plasma in the lounge I would. But I can't :( The plasma is going beautifully.

Angelo, how can you let the TV go? Even with the shortcomings?

Aren't you tempted to swap it for another of the same?

Typhoon.

Edited by Typhoon

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great look at one of these yesterday, and I agree with all of you lucky buyers, easily the best TV I have seen in a really long time.

What a stunner.

If I could justify upgrading our 50" Pana Plasma in the lounge I would. But I can't :( The plasma is going beautifully.

Angelo, how can you let the TV go? Even with the shortcomings?

Aren't you tempted to swap it for another of the same?

Typhoon.

NO the telly had issues which got worse with time. Samsung Australia will not admit to this but they know this telly has major issues. They released the 8500 in America which has gone back to rear led lighting.I gone for the older series 950a with the latest chase and firmware Ill get it today . Only time will tell. :wacko:

• 1 month later...
NO the telly had issues which got worse with time. Samsung Australia will not admit to this but they know this telly has major issues. They released the 8500 in America which has gone back to rear led lighting.I gone for the older series 950a with the latest chase and firmware Ill get it today . Only time will tell. :wacko:

So what happen? is the 950a better then the 8000

I to was going to wait until the 8500 but it looks like it won't come out in AUS

PQ is good but not perfect..

Yesterday, I got samsung techie to come and look @ the light bleed, this is the setting he did and PQ has improved dramatically-

Mode: Movie

Colour Tone: Warm2

Backlight: 3

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 40

Sharpness: 0

Colour: 50

Tint: 50/50

White Balance

R-Offset: 27

G-Offset: 28

B-Offset: 25

R-Gain: 38

G-Gain: 24

B-Gain: 21

Colour Space: custom

Red: red 35, green 0, blue 0

Green: red 53, green 50, blue 3

Blue: red 0, green 0, blue 50

Yellow: red 55, green 50, blue 8

Cyan: red 50, green 50, blue 50

Magenta: red 40, green 8, blue 55

Edge enhancement / motion plus etc etc...... all switched off

Just spotted this thread. We took delivery of a UA55B8000 in July and have been happy with it. l have played around with the picture settings a little but soon realised l had no idea. l will plug these in shortly and see how the PQ looks

Does anyone know where to buy the wireless dongle (WIS09AG) from ?

Ours came with one of these, it was easy to setup and works as designed

Cheers,

mondie

• 3 weeks later...
Is this still a reccomended buy? Is there anything on the horizon (even from Sony) that addresses these issues?

I am also very interested in this model. I love the look and how thin the model is. Maybe I'm just not as picky as some of the videophiles around here but I think the picture looks quite good.

Has anyone else recently purchased one and have any comments to make on it?

With me I'm so frig-en picky with things I don't think Ill ever be happy with any display. Congrats and I hope you enjoy it.

Hey Angelo are you forgetting the beast :D the KVHR eh!!! now that had one nice PQ, a little on the bulky side though LOL.

And mate regarding what you said about never being happy well think of this if you were you would just stick with one panel and upgrade every 5 years or so instead of chasing the wholey grail like you are which is much more fun isnt it:D

Good to see your still having fun mate ;)

Cheers Ryan