Samsung Led Ua55b8000 ( First One In Australia)

As some of you can remember my many exploits into displays I thought of sharing my next adventure .

I've had this TV running now for over a week.

Good Points

1, Once the picture is adjusted (contrast, colour etc.) its just jaw dropping !

2. The SD and Foxtel PQ up scaling is the best I ever seen.

3. Huge about of HDMI inputs 4 in total.

4. The blacks are on a par the my Pioneer.

Bad points

1. There are clouding issues on black backgrounds ( with a bit of adjusting its almost gone) gone

2. I've got 4 dark corners on white back grounds. None on the new one

3. The off axis colour viewing is just horrible ( it just keeps getting white washed ) No where as bad as the first one

4. The speakers are worthless

5. No headphone input.

6. Is Samsung really serious about the settings they have put on this tv out of the box? Let me tell you that they are the worst I have seen on a telly .

I've got the service guy coming out to day. As fussy as I am if they can improve the off axis colour viewing this one is a keeper.

Just got my replacement so I thought Id up date my findings in red .

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good to read the good points on this one angelo, good luck on the bad points !. I got a latest gen LCD for the bedroom and off axis is shocking too. colours and blacks really washout.

not sure about clouding and never noticed dark corners on any of the lcds, perhaps a result of the edge lighting ? but quite honestly from what I have seen I have not found the LCDs no matter what the technology good enough in handling movement. even these led side lit units watch it close enough and you see smudginess of movement of the images. never seen this on plasma or crt any other type display no matter how cheap.

I honestly think that is the nature of LCD, something you will have to live with or move on.

for our loungeroom with the poxy off axis viewing, and the way these handle movement, would be absolutely no good. would drive me up the wall !

so after much looking around I ended up putting some cash down on a pio kuro krp-500M instead.

2. I've got 4 dark corners on white back grounds.

This is rather strange.. Isn't it supposed to be edge lit? If you have the TV connected to a PC, just create a 1920x1080 image that's full white and see if you still see the same thing?

Off hand I recall some adverts (or channel 7 promo) with white background have slightly darkened corners for that vignetting effect.

3. The off axis colour viewing is just horrible ( it just keeps getting white washed )
I honestly think that is the nature of LCD, something you will have to live with or move on.

Yup. what you said.. It's just a limitation of LCD... But come next year we may have OLED!!! Looking at the XEL-1 in Perth recently, I don't get the same wow like I did in Japan last year.. But maybe I will again with bigger screens...

As some of you can remember my many exploits into displays I thought of sharing my next adventure .

I've had this TV running now for over a week.

Good Points

1, Once the picture is adjust (contrast, colour etc.) its just jaw dropping !

Couldn't share your recommended calibration settings by any chance could you?.

Edited by Mark Prentice

in regards to blacks on par with your pioneer, what gen are you referring to ? , cause The new led range certainly isnt on par with any gen 9 pioneer

I think Angelo has the 8th gen Pioneer! as for comparison with 9th gen Pioneers unless a side by side test is done we will never know, not that would interest me :P

cheers laurie

good to read the good points on this one angelo, good luck on the bad points !. I got a latest gen LCD for the bedroom and off axis is shocking too. colours and blacks really washout.

not sure about clouding and never noticed dark corners on any of the lcds, perhaps a result of the edge lighting ? but quite honestly from what I have seen I have not found the LCDs no matter what the technology good enough in handling movement. even these led side lit units watch it close enough and you see smudginess of movement of the images. never seen this on plasma or crt any other type display no matter how cheap.

for our loungeroom with the poxy off axis viewing, and the way these handle movement, would be absolutely no good. would drive me up the wall !

so after much looking around I ended up putting some cash down on a pio kuro krp-500M instead.

Hi Al

No problems with movement.

This kinda sounds strange even coming from me but trust when I say the picture quality is mind blowing , its almost and Ill repeat it .... its almost worth putting up with the off axis viewing ! :o

[quote name='treblid' post='1379853' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:49 AM'This is rather strange.. Isn't it supposed to be edge lit? If you have the TV connected to a PC, just create a 1920x1080 image that's full white and see if you still see the same thing?

Off hand I recall some adverts (or channel 7 promo) with white background have slightly darkened corners for that vignetting effect.

I think that's exactly why its got the dark corners. Just checked out Myers in the city and the 7000 led series has it as well. <_<

I have had my UA55b8000 Samsung up and running for nearly 2 weeks - so your claim of being the first one in Aus in not correct (but hey, Real Estate Agents often have great difficulty with this aspect of life).

Hi Doug,

Are you just as happy as Angelo?

Cheers,

Typhoon.

I've got 4 dark corners on white back grounds

I have had the UA55B6000 for 2 weeks now. The "black' corners are due to the LED edge lighting because the LEDs can't be fitted right into the corner and because the LEDs shine across, up and down the panel meaning there is a tiny amount of screen (1 x 2cm) that does not recieve the full edge lighting. Personally I think it is hardly noticeable (they're not black just a tad on the grey side).

The off axis viewing on the 6000 seems pretty good to me but I am still curious as to the best settings. Will experiment with contrast, LED lighting etc

(PS - be nice this is my first post) Edit speleeling

Edited by slackocat

4. The blacks are on a par the my Pioneer.

Sorry mate, but that’s simply not possible unless the screen is all black with no pixels required to be on, in that case the back light can be turned off resulting in a totally black screen. However if even one pixel needs to be on the back light must be on, the black level is then dictated by the native contrast ratio of the LCD panel and the intensity of the back light. Even the best LCD’s struggle to achieve a contrast ratio of more than 2000:1.

The G8 Pioneer has a native contrast ratio of close to 10,000:1 and the G9 almost 40,000:1.

Sorry mate, but that’s simply not possible unless the screen is all black with no pixels required to be on, in that case the back light can be turned off resulting in a totally black screen. However if even one pixel needs to be on the back light must be on, the black level is then dictated by the native contrast ratio of the LCD panel and the intensity of the back light. Even the best LCD’s struggle to achieve a contrast ratio of more than 2000:1.

The G8 Pioneer has a native contrast ratio of close to 10,000:1 and the G9 almost 40,000:1.

I've never been happy with the PQ on my Pioneer.

Ok next time your in Adelaide Ill shout you a beer and see for yourself .

I have had my UA55b8000 Samsung up and running for nearly 2 weeks - so your claim of being the first one in Aus in not correct (but hey, Real Estate Agents often have great difficulty with this aspect of life).

Actually Doug mine was in holding for 2 weeks as I was in Canada and the USA for 2 weeks and was told by Samsung it was the first one in Australia. Oh on the second matter you mentioned if I valued your opinion that would have hurt.

I've never been happy with the PQ on the my Pioneer.

I have observed the black bars on a wide aspect ratio movie on Samsung edge lit LCD’s and found them FAR from impressive. Since the LCD panel is the same as any other Sammy LCD that’s not surprising. Changing the light source on an LCD does absolutely nothing to alter contrast ratio.

The ONLY LCD’s that can provide good “in scene” contrast are the local dimming type, end of story.

If the display is very bright it will give the appearance of better blacks on scenes that are not all dark.

Poor off axis performance is typical of edge lit LCD’s so don’t expect any improvement in that area mate.

Well had the TV Tec come out and have a look at the problems today. He stated Samsung are aware of the problems and the Telly needs a new screen !!!! I reckon if a brick fell out of the sky it would hit me first.

There really is a case of deja vous about me and televisions. :wacko:

I've never been happy with the PQ on the my Pioneer.

Angelo wasn't that because of the known issue of the series 8 kuro on red push ? Something nothing can be done about. Not the case with the series 9 pios though. Agree though often in isolation, difference in ability to blacks etc not so dramatic.

Either way sounds like you have found something your happy. Which is all that's important in the end. Presume will get it calibrated at some stage. Do post back on results on how it goes, sure there'll be some keen to know :)

Well had the TV Tec come out and have a look at the problems today. He stated Samsung are aware of the problems and the Telly needs a new screen !!!! I reckon if a brick fell out of the sky it would hit me first.

There really is a case of deja vous about me and televisions. :wacko:

Yikes think I spoke too early. It's all your luck :D

Angelo wasn't that because of the known issue of the series 8 kuro on red push ? Something nothing can be done about. Not the case with the series 9 pios though. Agree though often in isolation, difference in ability to blacks etc not so dramatic.

Either way sounds like you have found something your happy. Which is all that's important in the end. Presume will get it calibrated at some stage. Do post back on results on how it goes, sure there'll be some keen to know :)

Yep your right on the red push it drives me nuts. So the series 9 doesn't suffer from it........................ now you tell me ! :)

I have observed the black bars on a wide aspect ratio movie on Samsung edge lit LCD’s and found them FAR from impressive. Since the LCD panel is the same as any other Sammy LCD that’s not surprising. Changing the light source on an LCD does absolutely nothing to alter contrast ratio.

The ONLY LCD’s that can provide good “in scene” contrast are the local dimming type, end of story.

If the display is very bright it will give the appearance of better blacks on scenes that are not all dark.

Poor off axis performance is typical of edge lit LCD’s so don’t expect any improvement in that area mate.

As you know I had a series 9 back lit Samsung and its PQ was not as good as this one and its off axis viewing was even worse . Now what your saying about the "very bright it will give the appearance of better blacks on scenes that are not all dark" this may very well be the case bud.

All I know is its got an awesome picture and it looks like I'm going down the road of getting it fixed, normally they just go back for a refund.

Must admit though never had any problems with my Sony SXRD 70 I guess that's why its the only Television I never regretted buying. If only you could still buy them.

Cheers Owen.