Sign in to follow this  
Trillian

Home Media Server

Hi Guys,

Just want to pick brains for ideas on building a server to store my large collection of dvds, music and photos. I am at present using my PC as a server, but I would like to have a dedicated server with about 5 1TB hdds. Does anyone have any sugggestions on motherboards or cpus to run it. It will be hooked up to my PS3 so I guess I won't really need anything with highend graphics or audio (if at all), just something with a bit of grunt and speed. I will also be mainly using PS3 Media Server to stream.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first and I guess fairly ambitious project. :wacko::unsure:

this is my home server

MB: Intel D915GAG

CPU: Pentium 4 3.0Ghz 775

RAM: 2 x 512 Legend DDR400

NIC: Intel PRO 1000CT

HD 1: WD 80GB HD IDE

HD 2 -5: 4 x WD 1TB HD SATA II

HD 6 & 7 + Controller: 2 x 1TB WD SATA II + Sunix 2100

Case: CM 334

PSU: CM Extreme Power Plus 550w

My home Media PC is this

MB: GA-945GCM-S2L

CPU: E6300

Ram: 4GiG Kit DDR2 (2 x 2G) 800mhz A-Data

GPU: Asus 4670 512MB

HD 1: WD 80GB

Optical: Pioneer SATA

Case/ PSU: Antec Fusion Black/ 450W earth watts

Home media servers arn't that ambitious .. just take a bit of money

Edited by Pugs

Some things you really shouldnt skimp on :-)

Good quality power supply pref with 120mm fan or larger

Good case - plenty of cooling eg 3 x 120mm fans, dust filters and quiet :) drives should have good space around them and good airflow (ie sit right behind the fans). Better if they have some antivibration pads, trays or washers.

Good quality network card (gigabit) or good quality onboard network (intel)

Videocard - something from a manufacturer that has good driver support (pretty much any nvidia/ati should be fine) - passive is fine - you wont be playing games on it.

Motherboard - good chipset with drivers available for the OS you want to run on your server - no poing getting a cheaparsed board only to find it doesnt have xxxx drivers.

CPU - depends what you want it to do.. just serve files - anything from the core2duo range will be fine, or amd x2 range - cooler the better. If your going to be making it encode video, while serving up media to multiple media-box's then get more cpu power :)..

Ram - again depends what you want it to do - 2gb should be enough, 4gb will be plenty for most applications

There is a real trade off between performance, noise and heat :) just a matter of finding something that works for you...

Cheers,

Bitey

Thanks for your responses, it will give me something to start with and a bit more research. I'll let you know what I end up with :D

I pretty much agree with Mr.Bitey, although he won't agree with me. However, I think in the case of a server used to serve to a device like the PS3, effectively a frontend / backend setup. A good well supported Linux disto such as Ubuntu and PS3 Media Server, is an excellent choice. With well chosen hardware you will have a reliable, flexible and economical media server. My Mythtv backend has been going well for years it serves media (live tv, recordings and videos) to all my computers and TVs (inc laptops and windows boxes via XBMC), xboxes and PS3s. This setup makes adding storage, for example, easy by simply putting another drive into the server or just mounting the remote frontends drive(s) into the file system. Yes I do windows too but I find it no where near as flexible as Linux.

Edited by techo

LOL yer linux just doesnt do it for me cos I run other stuff on the server (that doesnt run under linux).. but if what you wanna do works then linux is a great, free alternative :)

Cheers,

Bitey

LOL yer linux just doesnt do it for me cos I run other stuff on the server (that doesnt run under linux).. but if what you wanna do works then linux is a great, free alternative :)

Get a motherboard that does Vanderpool, a CPU with VT-x (not sure what it's called in AMD).. And you're set by downloading virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org...

Host OS you get the stability of linux... And you don't lose any functionality because you're still be able to run Windows (and access it from anywhere in your network as the Windows display can be seen via remote desktop.

To the OP, getting a good PSU is important.. When you power up the HDDs they will draw a lot of power (unless you can start them staggered, not sure how to do that actually). Make sure there's adequate cooling.

If you are just file serving, a Pentium E6300 should do fine.. It's only $100, and temps of about 30-35 degrees.

For gigabit network on the PCIe bus is preferred.

Get a DLNA media server like TwonkyMedia

Consider 1.5TB instead of 1TB as $/GB is ~ the same.

Consider a NAS/RAID distribution, like freeNas and OpenFiler

Put your OS on a CF card so that it'd boot faster (cheap from deal extreme)

---

or just save time and get a NAS box from the store.. :P

I've been running an unRAID server http://www.lime-technology.com/joomla/ without problems for 18 mths 24/7.

Was easy to setup on an old computer Athlon 64 ,GA-K8N motherboard 8 sata onboard ,1GB DDR400 ram.The unRAID Server OS

runs of a USB flash thumb drive. Am up to 5TB and can go up to 16 drives on the pro version that I have. The basic version allows 3 drives and is free.

Their forum and wiki is very good for info and help.

rs.spam,

Why do you say i do not wish to accede you in return for your favor so graciously offered?

Kind Regards,

Mr. Bitey

rs.spam,

Why do you say i do not wish to accede you in return for your favor so graciously offered?

Kind Regards,

Mr. Bitey

Able-bodied gets mentioned a couple of times. I think this might be a clue mate. Maybe it's the club foot or the missing thumbs?

Do you really need something that complicated?

You could serve a PS3 with a Debian powered NSLU2 and a USB2 raid enclosure. It's just serving out files, right?

Even the pathetic NSLU2 can happily service 4 or 5 media streamers at a time and still run your torrents.

Could be... Ive been concentrating on trying to manage by tick.... calling potential customers expletives, isnt that good for business :-) tho it does help with the hard sell :blush:

Cheers,

Bitey

Could be... Ive been concentrating on trying to manage by tick.... calling potential customers expletives, isnt that good for business :-) tho it does help with the hard sell :blush:

Cheers,

Bitey

Having your head spin 360 degrees on your shoulders must be a little off putting for some I imagine.

Was there something mentioned about NAS at one stage here? It's all very confusing and after Bitey's social setback I'm afraid I quite lost the direction of this thread.