Connecting Everything Up

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right area for this type of question, but here goes anyway.

I will list my equipment and the way I had originally planned to have everything connected. However, I was thinking last night about the receiver upscaling stuff to 1080p and wondered should I have Foxtel IQ and my DVD/HDD connected to the receiver via HDMI instead of to the TV via HDMI. If I do this will I still be able to watch a Foxtel programme through the receiver but using the TV speakers for audio instead of the full 5.1 as the signal is going through the receiver.

Pioneer C509A

Pioneer VSX 1019AH Receiver

Pioneer BDP51FD

Foxtel IQ 480i box

DVD/HDD player

HD STB

HTPC

Foxtel sender to three receivers

This is the original plan for connections:

Receiver > HDMI > TV

TV > Optical > Receiver

HTPC > HDMI > Receiver (HTPC is for movie file playback only)

Bluray > HDMI > Receiver

Foxtel IQ > HDMI > TV

Foxtel IQ > RCA's > Foxtel sender : Receivers in front lounge, main bedroom, kids play area.

Foxtel IQ > Scart > DVD/HDD

DVD/HDD > HDMI > TV

HD STB > Component > DVD/HDD

Thinking about the upscaling ability of the receiver I was thinking of changing to this, leaving all the other connections the same.

Foxtel IQ > HDMI > Receiver

DVD/HDD > HDMI > Receiver

Will this still allow me to listen to the programs using the TV speakers only, even though the signal is being sent through the receiver ??

Sorry for the long and maybe confusing post.

Cheers

Edited by NormanD

You should still be able to use the TV speakers if you run throught the reciever(TV will recieve audio over HDMI), but the reciever will need to be turned on. So kind of pointless IMO.

You should still be able to use the TV speakers if you run throught the reciever(TV will recieve audio over HDMI), but the reciever will need to be turned on. So kind of pointless IMO.

-

Hi mate,

Yeah I know it does seem a bit pointless for audio, it was really for upscaling of Foxtel if it is at all possible but for the sake of the odd few programmes here and there its not worth it, just keep it as originally planned.

cheers

The answer is dependant on you, that is do you have a reason / preference for just using the TV speakers at times ?

These days I just use the HT audio for eveny thing, even the news, it is ultimatly simpler and sounds better !

One issue you can have if you want to use the TV speakers via a receiver (HDMI) is that in most cases you will then only get 2ch audio

on that HDMI link, even if you decide to use the receiver (say to watch a movie in Foxtel)

Via the HDMI handshake the sending device polls infomation in the audio system it is linked to. In all the receivers I have used or played with when you

set the HDMI to Amp + TV, the sourse then believes you only have 2ch as it sees the TV. With the recieiver set to just AMP you get multi channel. Ultimatly

this was just to big a pain in the ass for me - goint into the reveiver meue all the time - so every thing to the receiver it is, with the bonus of better sound for all.

On the upscaling question, you may or may not see a difference, that Pio only has average upscaling so your display may already be doing the job as well if not better.

The final point is it is so much easier / cleaner to have just the one conection to the TV and every sourse to the receiver

do you use a universal remote ?

It is amazing the bass response that comes out unexpectedly from FTA, even the news! :rolleyes:

...... Lyle settles into his new HT in which he has smuggled an IB set-up in under the lounge..... The missus comes in and settles on the lounge beside him with a nice cuppa..... "Turn on the news" she says......

BOOM! RUMBLE! Thump! Crash! Rumble Rumble rumble....

Later...... Lyle wakes up in the gutter, covered in coffee dregs, with a black eye and a divorce notice nailed to his forehead...... :P

...... Lyle settles into his new HT in which he has smuggled an IB set-up in under the lounge..... The missus comes in and settles on the lounge beside him with a nice cuppa..... "Turn on the news" she says......

Later...... Lyle wakes up in the gutter, covered in coffee dregs, with a black eye and a divorce notice nailed to his forehead...... :P

My girl seems to like LF vibrations :huh:

go figure B)

I love it. :wub::wub:

So true too. :blush::D:D

Hi guys,

I've changed the set up to this:

Foxtel IQ > HDMI > TV

Receiver > HDMI > TV

TV > Optical > Receiver

Bluray > HDMI > Receiver

HTPC > HDMI > Receiver

Then Foxtel IQ > RCA's > Foxtel sender to other rooms

I've taken the HDD and HD STB out of the equation as they are not needed on this set up , they'll be connected to the kids TV.

The reason for this setup is I saw a post by someone else and it included a quote from Aaron Rigg stating to have componenets connected to the TV first for calibration purposes, the only exception to this being a Bluray player and HTPC to Receiver first for obvious reasons.

I'll have one Pio remote for the TV, Receiver and Bluray and one HTPC remote that also controls Foxtel.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Cheers