I'm watching GO... It's currently showing the 60s show, "I Dream of Jeannie". However, it's in widescreen mode.

I assume that GO is doing this so its viewers don't get disgruntled with black sidebars...

Seasons 4 & 5 have been remastered in High Definition widescreen by Sony. So it isn't a case of GO! just cropping the picture. Seasons 1-3 however are still in 4:3 aspect ratio on GO!.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching GO (in a WIN regional coverage area). It's currently showing the 60s show, "I Dream of Jeannie". However, it's in widescreen mode.

Anyone here know how they're doing this? I initially thought that they'd zoomed the picture so the sidebars are removed but the top and bottom gets chopped off. But it doesn't appear to be the case.

I assume that GO is doing this so its viewers don't get disgruntled with black sidebars...

Thanks for making me feel old. I was a chauffer for a couple of years while I was trying to get into QANTAS and drove Barbara Eden around for a week (1977ish) when she was in Sydney.

the picture quality channel on GO 99 is absolutely the pits ! cant be anything worse on TV at present. how on earth are they goign to convince people to switch to digital tv with such appalling picture quality I have no idea.

I took a photograph of what I was seeing yesterday. black adder. looked like it was playing of a very very bad VHS tape !

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=att...ost&id=8653

the picture quality channel on GO 99 is absolutely the pits ! cant be anything worse on TV at present. how on earth are they goign to convince people to switch to digital tv with such appalling picture quality I have no idea.

I took a photograph of what I was seeing yesterday. black adder. looked like it was playing of a very very bad VHS tape !

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=att...ost&id=8653

Looked at the pic, ruddy bells! I would turn it over straight away!!!!!!!!!! Even some promos they put on 72 / GO look like old VHS recordings recorded on ghosty analague images.

Edited by Digicruiser

• 2 weeks later...
Virtually all the TV shows in the 60's and 70's were shot on film that had an imprint ratio somewhere between 1.5 and 1.8 aspect so making HD widescreen transfers has been possible with very good quality. However in some scenes some distracting side detail is obvious and there was no choice but to zoom in a little more which crops detail from the top and bottom.

It was primarily the 80's were cheap and nasty video tape was used to record tv shows and sadly almost nothing can be used to improve the quality of those shows.

I just watched The French Connection on Showtime Action HD today and boy, was it good.

That movie looked like it pioneered a lot of police-procedural styles of cinematographic direction used in most TV shows 30 years later. It was shot in 1971 in a very grimy New York city on location.

But the HD remastering, as well as Showtime Action HD's transmission, really put a shine on it. You could enjoy it like it was made 4 years ago, not 40 years ago.

CK.

Edited by ckent

I just watched The French Connection

That movie looked like it pioneered a lot of police-procedural styles of cinematographic direction used in most TV shows 30 years later.

It was an iconic movie,

It won five Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Gene Hackman), Best Film Editing and Best Writing.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

• 2 weeks later...