2nd Dtv Forum Movie Weekend - Take 2

Hi All,

After taking a break from the forum for a couple of weeks, I have decided to re-try the second DTV movie weekend which runs from Thursday night to Monday.

The movie this time should attract a wider audience than 'Sin City', along with being a more common title.

The movie for this weekend is: The Fifth Element

People are free to write their views of the movie from Thursday night onwards. Comments before Thursday night should be strictly linked to either sourcing the movie (specials) to general questions about the different versions out there etc etc.

I'll also ask people who don't have anything constructive to say to leave your comments to yourself. They are not wanted in this thread and should be left to the General & Miscellaneous Thread.

Just to let people know, I won't be posting often anymore but have decided to have another go at the forum as things seemed to have settled down.

Bring on Thursday Night !!! :D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes although I watched it a few weeks ago I might give it another spin. Been trying to watch a lot of the old HD DVD's I picked up of late and haven't bought anything in a couple of weeks but as ajm said nothing wrong with seeing half naked mila.

Big Badda Boom!

How about a spoiler someone might read this and it could give it all away ;)

Are you referring to the semi naked milla or "Big Badda Boom"?

I've watched this film several times and never noticed the former - THANKS for spoiling my opportunity to notice it for the first time :P

edit: the latter happens in the first 15mins, hardly giving it all away :P:P

:)

Good choice though. Welcome back Matthew and hope this takes off.

actually got this one so yeah I'm in :)

like macca looking forward to this one, originally had this on DVD, then superbit and hddvd followed with BD now so yeah why not ! :D

actually got this one so yeah I'm in :)

like macca looking forward to this one, originally had this on DVD, then superbit and hddvd followed with BD now so yeah why not ! :D

I also have all four, but haven't watched the blu yet, so I'm in. Good to see you back Matthew

Believe it or not I'm also in on this little foray !!!!!!!!

Pre History:

Bought this about the same time as Chops_ or maybe a little earlier, it was without doubt one of the best authored dvd releases back then, but what do you expect from the frogs.

In addition purchased the German 2 Disc Deluxe Edition in 2005 while actually in Munster,Westfalen Germany, stilled sealed and unwatched.

Also have the Superbit Edition which is my reference disc ATM.

So come on bluray, how much improvement in detail will we actually see over the superbit version.... :wub:

OOPS: Forgot to mention that my Bluray version is Region A

Cheers

pathfinderti

Edited by pathfinderti

It's good to see that people are looking forward to see this movie. I can't remember the last time I watched it (it must be around 9 months ago). Don't know about anyone else, but I would love to hear what people think of the PQ upgrade between SB, DVD, Blu-Ray etc. I've also found a review from Stephen Dawson that I'll post on Thursday that has screenshots between the normal DVD, original US Blu-Ray release and the reminted version.

My understanding is the Australian version is the reminted version.

You didn't happen to be at a conference in Munster in 2005 did you (June/july from memory)?

Chops _Off track, Yep, this is getting freaky, and please don't ask me which one, if your familiar with Munster you'll know where, I may even have talked to or walked past you, I guess that's serendipity rearing it's head yet once again. !!!!! :huh:

Das Funfte Element was purchased from Karstadt they had a great dvd section back then but due to economy restraints have downsized somewhat, another great place was Saturn now suffering a similar disposition, ironically I will be there again for Xmas/New year and can't wait to see what they have available in bluray, I also have Amazon.de there as well. !!!!!

Cheers

pathfinderti

Edited by pathfinderti

Bump....

On another note, Highdefdigest has produced an interesting article on giving a Score for Blu-Ray studios for the first half of the year. It's a reasonably interesting read...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Dre...eport_Card/3058

Yes indeed :D It would be interesting to have an overall average all things considered such as number, age and popularity of titles. Easy for Criterion to look good with so few releases :lol:

I am looking forward to the Fifth Element viewing/discussion session.

This was my first BD always enjoyed it, sadly have to wait for my lil girl to be in bed (wife thinks Ruby Rock scene on shuttle is too provacative for her) but my son who NEVER watches my movies because Im an old fart and he does know better will enjoy it if I tie him down.

so yeah good call.

Well - it looks like I'm going to be first. After having this blu ray in my cupboard for over 18 months - unwatched - it was a pleasure to pull it out and give it a spin. Haven’t watched this on anything since laserdisc, but was aware of the excellent blu reviews.

All I can say is WOW. Totally lived up to expectation in both PQ, AQ and film itself. Thought I’d list few noticeable moments rather than trying to review the film as such.

Particularly detailed

- the golden key

- Cornelius’s bloodshot eye (at the command centre)

- everything in the command centre

- Leeloo’s face when perched on the side of Korben’s apartment

- the Diva's blue foam head extension (almost like a teletubbie)

- Zorg’s eye twitching

- Korben’s display shelf

- freckles on the stewardess

- the blue room on Fhloston

Great sound

- opening credits great low bass

- big bad spaceball hurtling towards earth

- explosion after pushing the red button

- activation of the stones

Weird clothes

- Zorg’s plastic rainbow coat

- Corbin’s orange rubber tank top

- Leeloo’s bandages

Weird hair

- Leeloo’s

- Zorg’s

- Ruby’s blond phallic frontal hair extension

Memorable quotes

- “Intimate is a stud muffin’s middle name”

Even Chris Rock’s Ruby Rodd who used to annoy the “c” out of me was funny - as it was meant to be. Likewise, humor from all angles - Korben’s Mum. Ian Holm’s Cornelius, Gary Oldmans uber wierd Zorg. Great visuals, colour and..... a personal pleasure - a romantic end :wub:

Definitely a classic. Die Hard in the 23rd century - with so much eye candy it cannot be ignored.

Disc specs. AUS release Region ABC PCM 5:1 2.35:1

Edited by 709er

What can I say, third viewing this year and never fails to please. Excellent PQ and AQ and they kept enough grain in it to match the theatrical version.

Definitely a feel good action flick and well worth having in ones collection alongside Serenity and the such.

Maybe that can be next weeks viewing or possibly Defiance or Gran Torino?

Edited by bbar

Well just finished watching this one again.

What can I say? I don't care how many times I see this movie, it's still cool!! :wub:

Some stats.....

US release remastered, region free with both LPCM & DD TrueHD.

Viewed with a JVC HD350 on a OZTS 110" 16:9 Magestic screen with evo3D.

Audio bitstreamed from a Pana BD30 via an Onkyo 705 to an Elektra Theatron and finally to Paradigm Signature series spreakers.

PQ = Awesome

AQ = I found the DD TrueHD to be a more dynamic than the PCM sound track, both were excellent though.

709er, have to agree with the LFE on the opening sequences, had bits rattling all around the room! ^_^

As for weird clothing, how about the Mangalores when they turned up at the departure gate to try and claim the boarding passes for the trip to Fhloston paradise? :P

Definitely a feel good action flick and well worth having in ones collection alongside Serenity and the such.

Maybe that can be next weeks viewing or possibly Defiance or Gran Torino?

Oh yeah, I've watched this one at least 10 times already (on HD DVD) but I would be up for it! :wub:

I ended up watching it on Thursday night and tonight. I must say that I was very impressed with the PQ compared to the normal DVD. It is definately a very good transfer. The AQ is also strong but is only really held back by the age of the film. I'm only comparing this to some of the newest movies. There are some close to references AQ parts in the movie though.....