Sign in to follow this  
Recusant

Samsung Ps50b650 Vs Panasonic Th-p50g10a

The number of Samsung models - A & B from 450 upwards is mindboggling!

Is the A and B used to distunguish the filter technologies offered or is there more to it?

Either way, it seems Samsung stack the market with a glut of series and models, complicating buyer research and giving Samsung a bigger percentage overall of models on the market.

LCD, Plasma and LED...talk about having a bob each and every way!!

Not complicated at all once you know. Panasonic / Sony / LG are just as confusing. =P

A = 2008 or prior model

B = 2009 model

4/5/6/7/8/9 Series differentiates the feature & design. Generally higher the better.

4 = Usually non-Full HD models. (Similar to Panasonic X series)

5 = Budget Full HD with basic feature set. (Similar to Panasonic S series)

6 = Mainstream Full HD (Similar to Panasonic G series)

7/8/9 = More luxury versions with sleeker designs / better performance & more features. (Panasonic V series and higher)

Edited by jakiman

B550 = FilterBright

A650 = Ultra FilterBright

B650 = Ultra FilterBright

B850 = Ultra FilterBright Plus

Consider B550 to be similar to the G10a in terms of light handling.

Hence B650 should handle the light slightly better than B550/G10.

I have no idea if they improved it further over the A650 though.

Hi jakiman

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking that the G10a's flaring the reflection may have been more to do with some sort of anti reflective coating on the glass rather than being due to the filters system.

However based on my own observations / comparisions between the A650 and the G10a and the info that yourself and others have kindly shared / provided, Regarding the differences between the A650 and the B650. I am thinking that for me the choice between the B650 and G10a will be a fairly easy choice. As i felt that the A650 had the edge over the G10a, So it seems logical to me that the B650 should have an even greater edge over the G10a than the A650 did.

But again thanks very much for your reply, info and thoughts.

Regards

grasshopper

It has been really interesting reading about this showdown. I too am in the same as most of you have been in.

So far I'm almost certain I will buy the Panasonic this Saturday unless..

- the black levels in the Samsung. I'm a movie lover (like all of us) and I would be upset if the blacks weren't perfect. For me this will be the decision maker.

I would love to hear anyone who has the Samsung. After reading all 8 pages we haven't gone into much detail about the blacks and how noticable you find the darker scenes.

[edit] I want like to view an example of this "black level problem" as I'm not sure what this is. I have some idea but seeing for myself would be really helpful.

Thanks everyone for all your reviews so far, you have all made things so much easier and informative thus far.

Brent

Edited by brent m

It has been really interesting reading about this showdown. I too am in the same as most of you have been in.

So far I'm almost certain I will buy the Panasonic this Saturday unless..

- the black levels in the Samsung. I'm a movie lover (like all of us) and I would be upset if the blacks weren't perfect. For me this will be the decision maker.

I would love to hear anyone who has the Samsung. After reading all 8 pages we haven't gone into much detail about the blacks and how noticable you find the darker scenes.

[edit] I want like to view an example of this "black level problem" as I'm not sure what this is. I have some idea but seeing for myself would be really helpful.

Thanks everyone for all your reviews so far, you have all made things so much easier and informative thus far.

Brent

Note, neither the Samsung nor Panasonic have perfect black. Both render a nice relatively deep shade of black (Samsung better in brighter conditions, Panasonic better in darker conditions). Please lower your expectations in regards to black, neither set is Kuro black.

But Kuro is not as affordable as the Samung or Panasonic either.

Swings and roundabouts :)

Dennis.

Yep, if are expecting “perfect blacks” out of a Panasonic in a dark room you will be in for a BIG disappointment, all you will get is a slightly deeper shade of grey then a Samsung, and unless you had them side by side for comparison you are not likely to know the difference. Black level on the G9 Pioneer Kuro is so much lower it’s silly, at least 10 times darker then the Panasonic, even then the Kuro is not capable of black in a dark room.

If you want to watch movies in the dark you will find black levels on the Panasonics and Samsungs not real good (personally I find them unacceptable). If you use some bias lighting in the room to make the blacks look better the slight black level advantage of the Panasonic over the Samsung 650 and 850 is easily lost, so be careful with your choice.

Edited by Owen

Thats fine. I need an example of what you mean.

Lets say a night scene with a street light on and a woman in a kitchen window with the light on. hehe

Are we talking about that black pixely look or is this just the colour. If the picture still looks great but the depth of black isnt as dark as others im sure my eyes will just get use to that.

I went to a friends house the other day who had an amazing 3m prjector in his theatre room. We watched the first Transformers movie and there were scenes where it was really dark with minimal light and my eyes picked up pixel looking blacks. The others seens looked twice as good as any movie theatre and was quite amazing. I still went home feeling blown away and wanting.. but tvs are different to projectors.

Hopefully Im confused with something entirely different though..

Edited by brent m

No there are no “pixels”, black is simply very dark grey not black.

The projector system you looked was incapable of black as is film projected in a cinema.

True blacks make a very big difference to image depth and reality in dark scenes viewed in a dim or dark environment. Once you have seen what true blacks can do for an image you can never get used to second best. Unfortunately digital displays have a way to go in that area but the Pioneer Kuro is way out in front of the pack, which is why such a fuss is made over it.

Hi all

Ok finally took the plunge yesterday and bought myself a Samsung Ps50B650. (yay) Should fingers crossed be delivered on Wednesday. :D

So now im starting to think about the setting up etc, Now obviously the factory default setting for brightness, contrast etc, usually are not that great. And also obvously the ideal setting for these things are different for each individual. But my question is where is a good place to start with these setting especially for the initial burn in period 1-2 hundred hours?

Also any other tips or traps i should be aware of before setting it up would be greatfully received.

TIA

Regards

grasshopper

hi guys, was wondering if anyone has one of the new Series 8 50inch (PS50B850) Samsungs? im looking at upgrading in the next couple of months, they look great in the store and was just wondering if anyone has one (or the 58inch) and how they stack up against the competion.

cheers

Paulie

Hi all

Ok finally took the plunge yesterday and bought myself a Samsung Ps50B650. (yay) Should fingers crossed be delivered on Wednesday. :D

So now im starting to think about the setting up etc, Now obviously the factory default setting for brightness, contrast etc, usually are not that great. And also obvously the ideal setting for these things are different for each individual. But my question is where is a good place to start with these setting especially for the initial burn in period 1-2 hundred hours?

Also any other tips or traps i should be aware of before setting it up would be greatfully received.

TIA

Regards

grasshopper

How much did you end up paying if you don't mind?

Hi all

Hi Graashopper,

Post your opinion of it when you set it up.

How much did you get it for?

TIA

Regards

grasshopper

No there are no “pixels”, black is simply very dark grey not black.

The projector system you looked was incapable of black as is film projected in a cinema.

True blacks make a very big difference to image depth and reality in dark scenes viewed in a dim or dark environment. Once you have seen what true blacks can do for an image you can never get used to second best. Unfortunately digital displays have a way to go in that area but the Pioneer Kuro is way out in front of the pack, which is why such a fuss is made over it.

I've been reading all your posts for a while Owen and I appreciate your thoughts on black levels. All that I read on other forums and in reviews seems to go against what you state - that Panasonic's NeoPDP panels display nothing less than 'great' blacks that aren't quite the level of a Kuro but are still miles ahead of Panasonic's older models and any other plasma/LED/LCD on the market. I've only been reading about G10 and V10 panels in particular.

I'm torn as to what I should choose as an upgrade. I've had a Teac 42" LCD for almost 3 years with only 1000:1 contrast ratio, so obviously even the blacks on a sub-standard plasma are going to look phenomenal to my eyes, but the budget won't allow me to seek out a Kuro.

Do you really believe the average consumer would be disappointed when viewing a Panasonic G10 in a darkened room?

How much did you end up paying if you don't mind?

No i don't mind at all

Got the tv from myers Carindale (Brisbane) for $2550 delivered.

Well that is the price on the invoice anyway as negotiated it as a package deal with a Panasonic DMP BD80.

They put it through the register as two seperate purchase ie two seperate receips.

Regards

grasshopper

hi guys, was wondering if anyone has one of the new Series 8 50inch (PS50B850) Samsungs? im looking at upgrading in the next couple of months, they look great in the store and was just wondering if anyone has one (or the 58inch) and how they stack up against the competion.

That's more suited to this thread - http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=78202

I have the PS58B850. It's awesome. Black level isn't up to Kuro but what is.

But no matter. It's beautiful to look at both picture quality and the TV itself.

I just wish it was 63" or 65" but I guess I'll have to live with 58" for now. =P

It's competition is I guess the Panasonic V10 series.

But B850 is better imo except maybe the black level.

But seriously, the black level isn't that bad as people say it is.

It's just that videophiles (me included) say it's noticeable. =)

But my dad, cousins, friends, wife, sister all think I'm crazy. =P

That's more suited to this thread - http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=78202

I have the PS58B850. It's awesome. Black level isn't up to Kuro but what is.

But no matter. It's beautiful to look at both picture quality and the TV itself.

I just wish it was 63" or 65" but I guess I'll have to live with 58" for now. =P

It's competition is I guess the Panasonic V10 series.

But B850 is better imo except maybe the black level.

But seriously, the black level isn't that bad as people say it is.

It's just that videophiles (me included) say it's noticeable. =)

Thats pretty accurate on all accounts.

Hi,

I have read that there is little difference in the picture quality between the B650 and B850 panels.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

The 850 looks aesthetically heaps better. The red glaze to the 650 is a little off putting, but I have gotten used to mine now.

Picture quality wise, I haven't noticed a big difference in store displays, but thats not very definitive though.

Do you really believe the average consumer would be disappointed when viewing a Panasonic G10 in a darkened room?
Nope.

Thats pretty accurate on all accounts.

:lol:
I have read that there is little difference in the picture quality between the B650 and B850 panels.

What do your eyes tell you?

I've been reading all your posts for a while Owen and I appreciate your thoughts on black levels. All that I read on other forums and in reviews seems to go against what you state - that Panasonic's NeoPDP panels display nothing less than 'great' blacks that aren't quite the level of a Kuro but are still miles ahead of Panasonic's older models and any other plasma/LED/LCD on the market. I've only been reading about G10 and V10 panels in particular.

The best performing Panasonic by far is the non “NeoPDP” 65” VX100, contrast ratio is double that of the NeoPDP G10.

When a review states “great blacks” look for the black level measurements, if measurements numbers are not provided disregard it and move on.

In real world black level measurements the G10 is nothing special, it’s only slightly better than the 2008 Panasonics or 2009 Samsungs, and no where near a G9 Kuro.

Most people have never seen a display with real blacks and don’t know what they are missing, so no; most people will not be disappointed with a G10 or a Samsung for that matter.

A Kuro is only passable for blacks as far as I am concerned, so the Panasonics and Samsungs are unacceptable to me for viewing in the dark.

Edited by Owen

Black levels are a funny thing sometimes.

I went to IMAX Darling Harbout and watched latest Harry Potter last week.

I couldn't stand the grayness of the blacks. (especially the non-anamorphic outer frame)

I was thinking to myself, this is worse than my Sammy 58B850... haha.

Black levels are a funny thing sometimes.

I went to IMAX Darling Harbout and watched latest Harry Potter last week.

I couldn't stand the grayness of the blacks. (especially the non-anamorphic outer frame)

I was thinking to myself, this is worse than my Sammy 58B850... haha.

It isn't really a good thing though is it? I also sit in a cinema and think about the black levels, colour or any banding on the screen. I miss the time when I would go to enjoy a film and not think about any of that...

I'm torn as to what I should choose as an upgrade. I've had a Teac 42" LCD for almost 3 years with only 1000:1 contrast ratio, so obviously even the blacks on a sub-standard plasma are going to look phenomenal to my eyes, but the budget won't allow me to seek out a Kuro.

I have a G10.

I believe the statement "great blacks" with the G10 is a bit over the top (though I'm more critical than some).

It's an incremental improvement over last years Panasonics (still very much worthwhile and noticeable to me).

Most people (with moderate lighting) will be very satisfied with a G10s black reproduction capability. But Gen 9 Kuros are definately much much better at reproducing a deeper shade of black (though it to can't do true black in a totally darkened room).

But in the context of what's available (at around 2-3K) a G10 (or Samsung B650 plasma) really are superb value products that will satisfy Joe Average very much.

No doubt the G10 will absolutely smoke your Teac LCD.

I'm very very satisfied with my G10 (even with rubbish quality Foxtel).

Dennis.

In real world black level measurements the G10 is nothing special, it’s only slightly better than the 2008 Panasonics or 2009 Samsungs, and no where near a G9 Kuro.

The Panasonic G10 has a measured black level of 0.03 cd/m2 (on par with Gen 8 Pioneer 768p models).

Last years Panasonics were between 0.04 cd/m2 to 0.05 cd/m2.

This years Samsung B850 measures at (after calibration) 0.05 cd/m2.

Note also that the G10 has a measured contrast of 3067:1 compared with the B850 at 2160:1 (see links below).

Yes the Gen 9 Kuros are far ahead (about 10times better at 0.0031 cd/m2). Pity, real pity that Pioneer (and Fujitsu) have left the flat panel business.

Note even so, with day to day (not super critical viewing) the black levels of todays mid-range panels are quite satisfactory (for most folks).

All the above values were from the following reference reviews.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-t...20090415146.htm

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?sub...p;id=1237901339

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-t...20080907128.htm

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?sub...p;id=1245336433

Dennis.