Samsung Ps50b650 Vs Panasonic Th-p50g10a

It's a physical thing, the actual panel has been put in the casing slightly too far to the left. On the right hand side of the screen you can see the grey side bit of the screen (not part of the screen). On the left that grey bit is slightly under the black 'surround' of the glass. There's about 3mm of grey on the right, and the left is very slightly tucked under the black surround. To me, that means the panel wasn't put in properly by about 1.5mm. Imperceptable to the right of ideal viewing position.

In the centre viewing position, i only noticed it during the day. But i suspect the left most 1 or 2 pixels are obsucred as a result of the alignment issue.

Ohhh, that sounds perturbing.

Try and get it replaced.

Dennis.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhh, that sounds perturbing.

Try and get it replaced.

Dennis.

I went in today, both the 50"s in two stores, and a 42" had similar placement issues. The 46" was spot on (all G series' - i didn't look at any others). I will call Panasonic tomorrow.

I am very interested to hear others' experience with the 50" in particular. Take a close look on the left/right of the panel to see if its placement is slightly off centre.

Edited by Recusant
Brief review of the Panasonic - i'll try a more thorough one when i've had the chance to see some good stuff.

- Very easy set-up. Those menu's i didn't like have grown on me slightly due to their efficiency.

- Instruction manual is a little light on detail - tips etc.

- The "daytime viewing" that is supposedly poor isn't a problem at all. The "home" setup has Dynamic, Normal, Cinema. Cinema was fine except when the sun was shining through the window pretty much onto it. Then i switched to Normal. Dynamic just isn't necessary (ie, that "daytime viewing is better on blah" just doesn't matter - maybe it is - but during the day your viewing is compromised anyway - so who cares?!)

- The screen is quite effective at reducing reflections, the bezel is actually more reflective.

- FTA SD isn't as bad as some make out. I'm sitting about 3.5m+ from the 50" screen, and the picture isn't ideal - but it's quite acceptable IMO.

- Remote feels quite nice, but the volume/channel buttons are near the bottom, instead of near the 'disc' - which i just don't understand.

- The one remote to operate both devices (i got a Pana BD60 Bluray player too) is quite natty. It uses on screen menus rather than a hundred buttons for both devices on the one remote.

- There is a very slight green tinge look to the image, especially when it is set to "warm". I liked the middle setting myself, it reduced the greenish appearance and looked slightly more natural to me. Being in Canberra, i'm not used to the 'dusty' look of the streets and sky that i thought "warm" delivered. Canberra is crisp and clear typically. So i picked the middle option ("normal").

- I have all "processing" options turned off. Everything seems quite snazzy, i'll experiment with the colour management and stuff later.

LOTR (haven't watched it all) looks great (for a DVD). No judder/jitter or whatever was perceptable. This was played on the Panasonic BD-60 Bluray player so it was upscaled. Of course, it was a little fuzzy, not being HD - but i'm happy to report that my old DVD collection will still be usable!

"Persuasion" 700mb AVI played through Beyonwiz. I thought this would be a lot worse, but it wasn't that bad. Again, the image wasn't very sharp but there was nothing obviously distracting like jerkiness or anything.

Dark Knight BluRay was quite stunning. I didn't notice any judder or jutter or jitter or jumping or anything - it was all smooth and brilliant. The blacks look truly black and everything was really very nice!

My one complaint so far is that i've noticed the panel is slightly mis-aligned. It's about 1.5mm too far to the left, which means that if you sit much left of the best seating position, the far left edge of the image may be obscured. I'm debating about whether to return the TV for a replacement. I will go an have a close look at ones in the shop and see if others have a similar issue first. Also - i want them to order (and have it arrive) my replacement before i take this one back! (if i choose that path). Fortunately, there is really only one seat to the left of 'ideal' in my little abode.

Further to this...

The TV actually looks quite classy at home. There's already a black PVR, and black AVR, and now a black Bluray player - so it fits in. And although it's very large (for the room and what i'm used to) it actually looks relatively subtle. As the light dwindled outside i walked into the room and thought "classy". Put it on and thought - "this is bright, it must be in 'normal' mode". It was in Cinema mode. Seriously, the supposed brightness issue just isn't.

Also - chaning between the Dynamic/Normal/Cinema modes with one button would be good (no menu). I dislike having to 'train' people how to use it. And as i use Cinema at night (with OR without lighting), but lean more to Normal during the day it would be nice to be able to rotate through the options with a single button.

Edited by Recusant

I went in today, both the 50"s in two stores, and a 42" had similar placement issues. The 46" was spot on. I will call Panasonic tomorrow.

Bugger, hope Panasonic handle this issue nicely and not try to fob this off as within spec.

Bugger, hope Panasonic handle this issue nicely and not try to fob this off as within spec.

It's not a big deal - just irritating. If the unit had a dozen columns of pixels behind the black strip, we'd be none the wiser anyway. And when it counts, Bluray at night (in fact, any TV when the room isn't brightly lit), the grey down the right is not visible at all. Can't see it.

Edited by Recusant

I just checked mine out and it's also pushed to the left every so slightly, something like 1-2mm. I wouldn't have noticed it if you guys never mentioned it. :P

I'm getting mine replaced anyway (due to faulty pixels) so I'm praying the new one is perfect.

I just checked mine out and it's also pushed to the left every so slightly, something like 1-2mm. I wouldn't have noticed it if you guys never mentioned it. :P

I'm getting mine replaced anyway (due to faulty pixels) so I'm praying the new one is perfect.

emphasis mine. I'd be very interested to see how the alignment on the new set turns out. When will your new TV arrive?

I rang Panasonic and they weren't very useful. "No known issues". So despite 2 identical models in the shops and a user on the forum reporting the issue they don't appear aware of it.

Interestingly, i called back and the second person was MUCH more helpful. The first person was super defensive and just didn't understand the problem "have you tried overscan, have you tried resetting...". And wasn't interested in me even helping her understanding the problem. I got a fraction heated with her. The second guy was much better - understood pretty quickly and talked to his manager without wasting all day. "no reported issues" (interesting as i just reported it 5 mins earlier :P )

Panasonic: 132600

So anyway, it's up to me to investigate whether this is really an issue, or just built within a certain tolerance. To be honest - it's not really an issue - it's just irrititating now i konw its there.

A couple weeks back I ran the AVS calibration disk and I think I recall seeing the white one pixel border all the way around (no obscuring).

Does that mean I don't have the obscured pixel issue?

I'll try and check my 42G10A tonight to see whether I am missing 1-2mm of pixels.

Dennis.

emphasis mine. I'd be very interested to see how the alignment on the new set turns out. When will your new TV arrive?

Well I bought the TV around 10 days ago, found dead/lit pixels out of the box. Went and saw JB hifi 2 days later and they agreed to exchange the TV for me but at the time they had no more new stock. New stock was supposed to arrive last week but I rang the manager today to find out what the go was and he has to get back to me, but they shouldn't be too far away.

In the meantime, they're allowing me to continue using the TV I originally bought until the new stock arrives, which I'll then just swap over.

I'm planning on testing this new one in store to make sure it's 'right' before making the hour long trip back home. ;)

I spoke to the Myer guy who is trying to contact their Panasonic rep (because panasonic 'service' hasn't a clue). On further investigation, the issue appears to be the placement of the glass, rather than the panel. The black surround on the glass is slightly wider on the left side than on the right.

Edited by Recusant

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones :) :)

On my 42G10A all 1920x1080 pixels are visible (when seated directly in front of the screen). No obscuring on my screen.

I gave my display a very close looking over (including with the AVS overscan test image). The edge of the actual display (the outer row of pixels in a 1920x1080 image) fits perfectly on the edge where the inner bezel starts.

So I guess I better keep this one (one of the good batch).

Side note, how bad is SBS image quality wise? They are the worst, lift your act SBS!!

Dennis.

Edited by dlb99

Just an update for Recusant:

I spoke to the manager at JB this morning and the Panasonic rep told him that a boat load of tellies should be hitting Australia today and they will have their stock next week. As this will be a different batch I will post my findings once I have my new set. :)

Hi all

I have been watching this thread for a few weeks now with great interest. Big thanks to all for their thoughts, observations and contributions. This thread has been of great help to me so far. :)

Now for the newb Noob part of my post.

"Newb mode on"

I noticed today having another look at the product page at Samsung.com.au that the Samsung PS50B650 does not have the "HD tick" but that the Samsung PS50A650 does.

Q1 Is the fact that the B650 is not cerified because the certification process has not yet been completed? or for some other reason?.

Q2 In the real world is it that important / significant that the A650 is certified and the B650 is not?

Q3 What real world advantages does a certified TV have over a non certified TV?.

"Newb mode off"

At this stage which is still early days in my decision making process for a new TV, I am leaning toward the Samsung over the Panasonic.

I went out the other day for a first look at the two but could not find any Samsung PS50B650's in store. Everyone (Dick Smith, RT edwards, JB hifi, myer and DJs had the pansonic on the floor but the closest i could find to the B650 was a A650 in DJ's at Carindale which i prefered over the G10a. That is when i could could keep my eyes off the Kuro in the middle of the two :D. But cant afford that. (damn it all).

Tia for any thoughts, info, opinions about my above questions.

Regards

grasshopper

"Newb mode on"

I noticed today having another look at the product page at Samsung.com.au that the Samsung PS50B650 does not have the "HD tick" but that the Samsung PS50A650 does.

Q1 Is the fact that the B650 is not cerified because the certification process has not yet been completed? or for some other reason?.

Q2 In the real world is it that important / significant that the A650 is certified and the B650 is not?

Q3 What real world advantages does a certified TV have over a non certified TV?.

"Newb mode off"

Q1. Umm. No idea. But be reassured, it's a FULLHD resolution television that's for sure. Some Samsung web guy just forgot to tick it I assume.

Q2. Umm. No. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Q3. None. I don't think there is such "certification" in the first place.

"A" series is not as good as "B" series in image processing and in feature set. So make sure you get the B series as B is the 2009 model.

Just found this post after I purchased my TV recently. Would like to share some of my experiences.

I got the sammy 50b650 at start due to the good design and all the extra features.

The fist one dead after 4 days. It start to making a "click" noise and restart itself after watch it for around 1hr. Getting worse after I keep testing it. In the end it starts to keep making that "click" noise and won't start at all. Went back to HareyNorman and sales was very good and they are happy to send me the replacement one next day. Thought that will be end of the story but not.

When the driver come to swap the TV over, I had a quick chat with them. They told me that's the third one they doing the swap!!! I am start to worry about it at that point.

Now, the second TV arrived and because I got the wall mount kit installed already, start to put it up. That's where I encounter this silly issue. With the standard M8 screws, it not fit for one of the hole(where you screw it to the wall mount don't know what's the correct name for it) in the back!!! Looks like that particular hole is larger then the other three, so the screw just can't fit at all. I can push it into it without screw it. All the other three are fit well and without any problem and I am using the same set of screws used on the previous one.

Called the shop again and they agree me to swap it over with the G10 instead.

Don't know if anyone else heard about this issue with 50B650, might be I am just unlucky. I am still like Samsung's extra features, the DLINA and USB support are fantastic. It would be a great TV. sigh.

Don't know if anyone else heard about this issue with 50B650, might be I am just unlucky. I am still like Samsung's extra features, the DLINA and USB support are fantastic. It would be a great TV. sigh.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It's sad...regardless of the brand. Anyway, welcome to the world of G10!!! I hope you have better luck with the Pana.

Q1. Umm. No idea. But be reassured, it's a FULLHD resolution television that's for sure. Some Samsung web guy just forgot to tick it I assume.

or maybe just not got around to it yet.

Q2. Umm. No. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

That was what i figured, but just wanted confirmation.

Q3. None. I don't think there is such "certification" in the first place.

After i made my earlier post i decided to do some research on this, which took me to this site.

http://www.hdtick.com.au/index2.htm

To me it seems that the HD tick is more or less irrelivant and virtually meaningless.

"A" series is not as good as "B" series in image processing and in feature set. So make sure you get the B series as B is the 2009 model.

From my research so far i had also arrived at that conclusion also, But again nice to have confirmation from others.

This being the case, leans me even further in favour of the B650 as from my experiences having a look around the other day. Overall i was more impressed with the A650 PQ and the way it handled reflection than the G10a. So my logic says that the B650 will only be more impressive against the G10a. However i would still like to find a B650 in instore for comparision before making any firm desicions.

Regards

grasshopper

Edited by grasshopper3742
Just found this post after I purchased my TV recently. Would like to share some of my experiences.

I got the sammy 50b650 at start due to the good design and all the extra features.

The fist one dead after 4 days. It start to making a "click" noise and restart itself after watch it for around 1hr. Getting worse after I keep testing it. In the end it starts to keep making that "click" noise and won't start at all. Went back to HareyNorman and sales was very good and they are happy to send me the replacement one next day. Thought that will be end of the story but not.

When the driver come to swap the TV over, I had a quick chat with them. They told me that's the third one they doing the swap!!! I am start to worry about it at that point.

Now, the second TV arrived and because I got the wall mount kit installed already, start to put it up. That's where I encounter this silly issue. With the standard M8 screws, it not fit for one of the hole(where you screw it to the wall mount don't know what's the correct name for it) in the back!!! Looks like that particular hole is larger then the other three, so the screw just can't fit at all. I can push it into it without screw it. All the other three are fit well and without any problem and I am using the same set of screws used on the previous one.

Called the shop again and they agree me to swap it over with the G10 instead.

You exchanged the Samsung for Panasonic because you did not have a bolt to fit it to the wall mount. ?????????????????????? WTF

Edited by Owen
You exchanged the Samsung for Panasonic because you did not have a bolt to fit it to the wall mount. ?????????????????????? WTF

I think if I went through two sets with different problems, I would get jack of them (and lose faith) also and swap for something else.

I think if I went through two sets with different problems, I would get jack of them (and lose faith) also and swap for something else.

Agreed. I hate being dicked around.