Samsung Ps50b650 Vs Panasonic Th-p50g10a

Samsung PS50B650 vs Panasonic TH-P50G10A

I'm not an expert, not even close, but i've come to appreciate some pros and cons of these two TVs that i thought i'd share (in one place - 'cause my thoughts are scattered everywhere) that may help other noobs who are looking at 50" plasmas. This is not a Plasma vs LCD debate, both TVs on my shortlist are Plasmas.

Of course, this is entirely personal opinions - there is no science here :) Looking at the list, it's hard to say no to the Samsung - however - I cannot find any "head to head" reviews about the single most important aspect - THE PICTURE QUALITY!

* = Someone else has reported as so, elsewhere on this forum.

Samsung Pros

- ALL lights can be turned off - why more TVs/AVRs/DVD/Bluray players don't do this is a mystery to me.

- Looks - the unit is much more attractive than the Panasonic

- Menus - they look good, and they operate well

- DLNA (Wireless) with pretty good format support

- USB support for multimedia content.. though i'm not sure which formats are supported

- Remote - more comfortable and intuitive than the Panasonic - AND is backlit!

- "ambient light rejection" - Better than the Panasonic for daytime viewing* (some kind of screen filter)*

- Cheaper than the Panasonic^

- SD performance*

- Deinterlacing ("i" content?)*

Samsung Cons

- Bezel is hard up against the screen, so there could some reflection issues

- Glass bezel, though attractive, could have been a little more compact

- Glass bezel can also be reflective (people walking around/behind you, lights reflect off it more than the Panasonic)

- Brand new, can't find diddly squat reviews on it (What Hi-Fi are said to be having a review of the 42" 6 series in their next issue due out in July - just in time to miss out on the Panasonic free Wii promotion). There is one review i read, but it's not particularly technical, and although i don't understand that stuff - i do understand that they know what they're talking about and rate the PQ accordingly. Simply saying "oh it looks good, with nice blacks" means nothing without measuring equipment.

- slow EPG loading (minutes?)

Panasonic Pros

- Much better sound than the Samsung (considerably)

- Screen has a black surround before the bezel begins, reducing the likelihood of reflections from the picture itself.

- Essentially European spec display settings*

- Conservative, compact design (though not as pretty as the Samsung)

- No flicker* (something about 96Hz or something?!)

- Oz version has the apparently necessary Gamma and colour controls (to get the most out of the picture)*

- Though every region in the world appears to have a slightly different TV (US has THX, ours doesn't, UK version doesn't have white balance and Gamma controls, ours does), this TV has been out for a couple of months and so hopefully any bugs/issues have been tidied up for the Oz release.

- SD Performance

- Fast EPG loading (couple of seconds)

Panasonic Cons

- Menus - They look 10 years old and are a little clumsy to use with the...

- Remote - nothing particularly wrong with it, just not as immediately intuitive or comfortable as the Samsung's remote - and not backlit (Sammy's is).

- Cooling fans - though i don't know if the Samsung has fans (i prefer passive cooling if at all possible).

- Could be prettier

- More expensive than the Samsung^

In summary, the Samsung is feature-rich, and to be honest hard to overlook. For me, the sound is a BIG issue, as i watch a lot of TV without the hi-fi turned on. But the appearance, remote and controls on the Samsung are just so sweet that it makes me want it. Its really simply up to whether or not its a good enough picture... or is it?

^ Though the RRP on the Samsung is cheaper, Myer (in particular) are doing some great deals on the Panasonic. I was offered $2900 which includes the $25 Wii and 4 years extended warranty - taking the warranty to 5 years. I suspect the Panasonic retail margins are greater than the Samsung, which gives more "impressive" discounting on the floor - clever marketing if that's true. People think they're getting a more expensive TV for the same price as the cheaper one (when both are discounted).

Edited by Recusant
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Samsungs have user adjustable advanced colour management for accurate colour reproduction as well as gamma adjustment, no Panasonic has that. You can never get accurate colour out of a Panasonic.

Samsungs have no issues with flicker.

The only advantage the Panasonics have over the Samsungs it better blacks in a dark viewing environment, in every other respect the Samsungs seem to offer superior performance, especially in the areas or colour, deinterlacing , SD performance and ambient light rejection.

Edited by Owen

These are the two sets that I'm contemplating also.

Another thing I've discovered after reading a bit about both of them is that if you're a gamer, it may sway your preference towards the Panna as it displays zero input lag. The Sammy on the other hand has noticeable lag, but to it's defense has a Game mode. How much that improves things I don't know, maybe someone here with a B650 that has a 360 or PS3 hooked up to it can help us out.

Also, after downloading the manuals for each, the Sammy doesn't offer S-video input ANYWHERE on the TV! Not that many of us are still using S-video, but it would be nice to have and how hard would it have been to implement, really? I still have a couple old consoles that use S-video. The B850 is even worse with it's proprietary converter cables, that's just ridiculous! Also, it's pretty weird having the headphone socket at the BACK of the TV. ;) but at least it's got one.

The black level would be a possible deciding factor for me, depends how much of a difference there is to the Panna, and if it's really noticeable. I do most of my viewing with lights on (not total black) so I probably won't tell (ie Samsung better choice)

Just for interest, the rose black bezel around the Sammy, does that distract at all during viewing? I'm used to a black/grey surround, not sure how the red fares.

The issues that are with the Panna (as Owen pointed out) will they be corrected with the V10 that's due in a few months? Just wondering whether it's worth waiting for it instead...

The Samsungs have user adjustable advanced colour management for accurate colour reproduction as well as gamma adjustment, no Panasonic has that. You can never get accurate colour out of a Panasonic.

The G reportedly does have gamma, white balance and limited colour adjustments, perhaps not to the same degree as the Samsung?

The only advantage the Panasonics have over the Samsungs it better blacks in a dark viewing environment, in every other respect the Samsungs seem to offer superior performance, especially in the areas or deinterlacing , SD performance and ambient light rejection.

Whilst not disputing the ascertion, have you something to back it up? (i'd love to read anything i can find on the Samsung). I've added your points.

I didn't discuss PQ specifically because i'm not qualified and have seen any reviews for the Samsung that have been tested by technically competent people - with equipment. I'm buying the TV for HD performance - Is the HD picture better on one machine?

EDIT: This review at least that the Panasonic has better anti-reflective qualities:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sam...7-33573755.html

"the Samsung did not attenuate reflections, such as bright lights in the room or reflections such as this reviewer's white T-shirt. The Panasonic's reflections were dimmer and thus less-distracting than those of the Samsung, but we still liked the Samsung's bright-room image better overall."

Edited by Recusant

Of course, this is entirely personal opinions - there is no science here :) Looking at the list, it's hard to say no to the Samsung - however - I cannot find any "head to head" reviews about the single most important aspect - THE PICTURE QUALITY!

<snip>

In summary, the Samsung is feature-rich, and to be honest hard to overlook. For me, the sound is a BIG issue, as i watch a lot of TV without the hi-fi turned on. But the appearance, remote and controls on the Samsung are just so sweet that it makes me want it. Its really simply up to whether or not its a good enough picture... or is it?

Panasonic Cons

Cooling fans - though i don't know if the Samsung has fans (i prefer passive cooling if at all possible).

I think both TVs will impress you whichever you decide, but it seems Samsung is your preferred

As for cooling fans on the Panasonic, these make no noise at all (except on initial startup of the panel for ~3secs) and would not distract when watching say a quiet scene in a movie.

Just for interest, the rose black bezel around the Sammy, does that distract at all during viewing? I'm used to a black/grey surround, not sure how the red fares.
This shouldn't distract, as when you are watching a show, you will be focussed on the centre of the screen, and not really aware of anything else. The rose bezel is far more noticeable when the TV is off ;)
I think both TVs will impress you whichever you decide, but it seems Samsung is your preferred

You know, i'm thinking that too - but the sound is so god awful that i don't know if i can deal with it (i purchased a Teac LCD for the kitchen, and i thought i could deal with the poor SQ, but it's pretty unbearable - i don't want to make the same mistake).

As for cooling fans on the Panasonic, these make no noise at all (except on initial startup of the panel for ~3secs) and would not distract when watching say a quiet scene in a movie.

I listened in-store, very quiet. My concern is more about the noise they will almost certainly make in a few years.

This shouldn't distract, as when you are watching a show, you will be focussed on the centre of the screen, and not really aware of anything else. The rose bezel is far more noticeable when the TV is off ;)

Yeah, the reflection issue wasn't a significant one, and the TV itself is SO much prettier.

To buy the Samsung, what i want is some HD test results (comparison against the Pana), and a damn good price. I already know the Pana has good pricing atm, and the HD is reviewed in a lot of places as excellent. If that is sorted out, my only remaining issue is the sound.

You know, i'm thinking that too - but the sound is so god awful that i don't know if i can deal with it (i purchased a Teac LCD for the kitchen, and i thought i could deal with the poor SQ, but it's pretty unbearable - i don't want to make the same mistake).
I bought a Pana PX600 which has 4 speakers (2 x tweeter, 2 x subwoofer) and the sound is great. We watch 95% of shows through TV speakers and only watch some shows (movies and sport) and gaming with the AVR switched on. The sound is one thing I am very happy with on my TV.

IIRC, the subwoofers were only offered on the PZ850 on the previous models

I listened in-store, very quiet. My concern is more about the noise they will almost certainly make in a few years.
I've had mine for 3 years now and still running very quiet. They never spin very fast, they just seem to go slow, providing enough airflow over the ECBs...and I have my TV mounted on a NW wall which has sun on it all day long.
To buy the Samsung, what i want is some HD test results (comparison against the Pana), and a damn good price. I already know the Pana has good pricing atm, and the HD is reviewed in a lot of places as excellent. If that is sorted out, my only remaining issue is the sound.
I have stuck a G10 and PN50B650 review in your other thread. Also, don't forget, you can sell the free Wii and save more money on the Panny. Not sure if the Samsung TV you are looking at is included in the free 22" LCD screen offer? Edited by diesel
I have stuck a G10 and PN50B650 review in your other thread. Also, don't forget, you can sell the free Wii and save more money on the Panny. Not sure if the Samsung TV you are looking at is included in the free 22" LCD screen offer?

Here's the Samsung review (not a bad one) you kindly supplied also: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sam...7-33573755.html

The Samsung doesn't come with the LCD unfortunately.

I've been offered:

Samsung - $2699 including 4 years extended wty. <- corrected price EDIT

Panasonic - $2900 including 4 years extended wty and Wii (which could be sold for $300 i bet).

Making both TVs the same price. Bastards :D

Edited by Recusant

The G reportedly does have gamma, white balance and limited colour adjustments, perhaps not to the same degree as the Samsung?

The Samsungs have RGB adjustments for grey scale and advanced colour managements so you can adjust the primary and secondary colour points to closely conform to the HD colour standard (Rec709), the red and especially the green primaries on the Panasonics are not to spec and cant be adjusted. Even last years Samsungs had good colour accuracy and calibration potential, Panasonic doesn’t seem to care even on their top of the range models.

Whilst not disputing the ascertion, have you something to back it up? (i'd love to read anything i can find on the Samsung). I've added your points.

There are several useful reviews on line and a lot of info at AVS forum. There is also a lot of useless information that you have to weed out.

I didn't discuss PQ specifically because i'm not qualified and have seen any reviews for the Samsung that have been tested by technically competent people - with equipment. I'm buying the TV for HD performance - Is the HD picture better on one machine?

The Panasonics reportedly do have a less reflective front glass then the Samsungs but the mate finish degrades image quality IMHO. The problem with the Panasonics is that they use very little screen filtering which allows light to reflect of the underlying phosphor layer of the panel, this give the screen a very grey appearance under ambient light destroying the black level and degrading contrast. As you go up the Samsung model range the screen filters get better, its part of what you pay for as good filter technology costs money.

If you view in the dark this aspect is irrelevant but the greater the ambient light the more it maters.

As for HD performance (resolution) there is not going to a significant difference, however if the source is 1080i the Samsung may have an advantage due to reportedly better deinterlacing. Movies on BluRay don’t need deinterlacing so it wont be an issue for them.

Edited to correct screw up. :D

Edited by Owen
As for HD performance (resolution) there is not going to a significant difference, however if the source is 1080i the Samsung may have an advantage due to reportedly better deinterlacing. Movies on BluRay don’t need deinterlacing so its wound be an issue for them.
Owen, can you clarify what you mean here. What you have posted doesn't make sense to me

Thanks for your comments Owen & Diesel (always appreciated), i hope i don't come across as defensive... just indecisive :P

Toss a coin maybe?

As a G-series owner, I can honestly state that I'm very very happy with my screen.

A well calibrated G or 650 should provide lots of enjoyment. You won't be choosing unwisely either way.

Dennis.

Owen, can you clarify what you mean here. What you have posted doesn't make sense to me

I have edited my post so it makes sense.

Thanks for your comments Owen & Diesel (always appreciated), i hope i don't come across as defensive... just indecisive :P

No worries, just trying to help.

At the end of the day, you'll enjoy whichever you finally decide on....if they haven't already been superceded! :lol:;)

Toss a coin maybe?

As a G-series owner, I can honestly state that I'm very very happy with my screen.

A well calibrated G or 650 should provide lots of enjoyment. You won't be choosing unwisely either way.

Dennis.

Yes, both are very good and most people would be very happy with either, especially if it is your first big screen TV. If you are looking to upgrade form a previous large HD TV you will probably be more critical and have a better idea of what aspects of performance are most important to you.

I've been offered:

Samsung - $2600 including 4 years extended wty.

Panasonic - $2900 including 4 years extended wty and Wii (which could be sold for $300 i bet).

This is a useful thread to me cause I am in the same predicament. Canberra based, and looking at these exact two TVs. I have been trying to see a B650 in the flesh, but have failed in my hunt so far. I have tried JB, Myer and DJs in Civic. Have also tried GG in Fyshwick and Harvey Norman in Fyshwick.

Myer offered $2800 (including 4 years extended wty) over the phone, said they had 13 in the warehouse and could get the TV in a few days. I had to order before end of month.

Despite never having seen it, I am thinking I want the Samsung. I have a DNLA NAS box which I have always wanted to use for music, video etc in the lounge. Reviews sound good. I reckon the aesthetics are good, and I can afford it. almost...

And I don't want the hassle of selling the Wii.

There is plenty of good info in these forums.

Can someone explain what this means? It's from the Samsung B650 review: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sam...7-33573755.html

We did encounter one significant black level snafu, however. When we engaged the "Cinema Smooth" mode in the Film Mode menu, which is designed to help preserve the correct frame rate of film with 1080p/24 sources, black levels rose significantly. It was as if the TV had switched to another, uncalibrated picture mode. Switching Film Mode back to Off didn't return the black levels to their correct, calibrated state; to do so we had to stop playback entirely, which sent a normal 1080p/60 source to the TV and disengaged Cinema Smooth. Needless to say this is unusual behavior, and we'll update this review when Samsung has an explanation (and hopefully a fix). In the meantime, we recommend not using Cinema Smooth with our picture settings.
Edited by Recusant
This is a useful thread to me cause I am in the same predicament. Canberra based, and looking at these exact two TVs. I have been trying to see a B650 in the flesh, but have failed in my hunt so far. I have tried JB, Myer and DJs in Civic. Have also tried GG in Fyshwick and Harvey Norman in Fyshwick.

Good Guys in Tuggeranong have it on the floor, as does Myer Civic (confirmed today).

Can someone explain what this means? It's from the Samsung B650 review: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sam...7-33573755.html

Very interesting Cnet review which reflects the common known pros and cons of both the Samsung and Panasonic.

Samsung:

* More accurate colours and more configuration options

* Superior bright room performance (though the screen is more reflective, hence, may be a negative for some).

* Good blacks.

* Better film mode de-interlacer.

Panasonic:

* Deeper blacks.

* Bug free 1080p/24 mode. Hmmm, the above listed Samsung flaw better get fixed in a firmware revision ASAP.

On that it would appear the Samsung is better (maybe).

But what I will say that is nice about the Panasonic is that it is a good honest safe purchase. Safe in that it is easy to get a superb picture by turning off all goofy processing (including edge enhancement), 24p material is handled perfectly (96Hz) with no bugs. Black level is very good. Note, our Aussie G-series has MORE colour control than both US and UK equivalents (still not as good as Samsung).

I'm soo glad I got a plasma (rather than an LCD). It's surprising how often I end up off-axis, the superior view angle of plasma is a true benefit that I do find myself using often.

Let us know what you end up getting!

Dennis.

The Cnet reviewer is obviously inexperienced, the 24fps mode is a separate mode that needs to be calibrated separately, its not uncommon and not a “snafu”. A couple of clicks down on the “Brightness” control should set it right.

The Samsung has significantly better deinterlacing then the Panasonic, and that’s important for free to air TV and DVD.

The Cnet reviewer is obviously inexperienced, the 24fps mode is a separate mode that needs to be calibrated separately, its not uncommon and not a “snafu”. A couple of clicks down on the “Brightness” control should set it right.

The Samsung has significantly better deinterlacing then the Panasonic, and that’s important for free to air TV and DVD.

Free-to-air .... yes (only for film type material).

DVD ..... no, if you have a good DVD player such as an Oppo or good AV receiver (HQV or ABT processing) that can do the de-interlacing.

Dennis.

Edited by dlb99
Would you include Blu ray in that statement Owen?

Blu-ray films (24p material which is the majority) do not require de-interlacing. Feed 1080p24 straight in from a good modern Blu-ray player, the P stands for Progressive....not interlaced....hence no deinterlacing.

No problem at all with Blu-ray.

Dennis.