Samsung Ps50b650 Vs Panasonic Th-p50g10a

Black level readings are not very accurate so you have to be careful about black level measurements numbers especially if they are taken with different test equipment, as would be the case with different reviewers. However the superiority of the G9 Kuro is so vast it’s undeniable.

The difference in black between 08 Panasonics, 09 Samsungs and the Panasonic G10 are not very significant, but the jump the Kuro certainly is.

Only today I was looking at a row of Plasma’s under relatively subdued lighting, there was a couple of older Panasonics, the new X10, S10 and G10 Panasonics and a B450 Samsung (no B650 or B850 unfortunately), all the displays where displaying the same content and when dark scenes or fades to black where shown it was obvious none of the displays could do black, they all had the slightly milky green grey look typical of Plasmas with inadequate screen filters. Black level under the viewing conditions was effectively identical on all the displays, no way I could pick a decisive winner.

A wide range of Samsung and Sony LCD’s was on display next to the Plasma section and there was no doubt what so ever that all the LCD’s had much better perceived blacks than any of the plasmas in the given environment, this is simply because LCD’s have very strong screen filters to absorb ambient light. Anyone who thinks screen filter performance is not important has rocks in their head, unless you do most of your viewing in a very dim or dark environment screen filtering is what dominates black level performance. LCD’s with good screen filters and very ordinary contrast ratios have it all over displays with much better contrast ratios and poor screen filters like the low end Samsung and all the Panasonic Plasma range when it comes to blacks.

As far as brightness goes all the Panasonics looked about the same, the Samsung B450 was by far and away the brightest Plasma on display and rivalled the LCD’s, so if a bright punchy image is your thing the cheap B450 Sammy has it.

Edited by Owen

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they all had the typical slightly milky green grey look typical of Plasmas with inadequate screen filters. Black level under the viewing conditions was effectively identical on all the displays, no way I could pick a decisive winner.

At Goodguys in Auburn, they have the PS58B850 side by side to the PS63B680.

I could see clearly that 63B680 had a typical greenish look to the black areas.

But the 58B850 didn't. It was very easy to see how much better 850's filter is.

Now I'm very glad I got the 58B850 as I don't always watch it in pitch dark.

But I did envy the extra 5 inches. If it was same price, I would go 63" still. =P

A wide range of Samsung and Sony LCD’s was on display next to the Plasma section and there was no doubt what so ever that all the LCD’s had much better perceived blacks than any of the plasmas in the given environment, this is simply because LCD’s have very strong screen filters to absorb ambient light. Anyone who thinks screen filter performance is not important has rocks in their head, unless you do most of your viewing in a very dim or dark environment screen filtering is what dominates black level performance. LCD’s with good screen filters and very ordinary contrast ratios have it all over displays with much better contrast ratios and poor screen filters like the low end Samsung and all the Panasonic Plasma range when it comes to blacks.

The screen filters for the Sony and Samsung smoke all Plasmas (in bright environments), I've been saying that for a while.

But, get them (SPVA LCD) in a moderate lit environment (no, not total darkness) and witness:

* Uneven/cloudy backlights (seen it with my eyes)

* Dynamic backlights (fluctation changes, again easily visible)

* Weird 100/200Hz motion (interpolation modes suck)

* Disable 100/200Hz and witness LCD blur

* Rubbish view angles (especially the SPVA Sony/Samsung screens which turn white very quickly)

I'll say it again.........no screen is perfect (including my own).

Dennis.

Hmm still trying to decide between these two TVs, the Wii deal is certainly making the panasonic look tempting. Don't know what to do.....

i am in the same boat and i saw samsung are giving away a camera with their plasmas but that will not be the deal breaker for me. i am just trying to decide which looks better to me rather than worry about give aways. there must be so many wii's on ebay for sale they are probably going pretty cheap i assume.

i don't need it until my extension is finished in 8 or 9 weeks so i will wait and prices will be cheaper anyway.

Goldy wrote

Hi Graashopper,

Post your opinion of it when you set it up.

Ok so my 50" B650 turned up on Wednesday :D

So we get the top part of the box off ready to screw the base on, the first two screws go in properly just fine. The third we manage to get in properly after about forty five minutes of losening, tightening the first two screws while tilting, jiggling, wiggling and general stuffing around. The fourth after an hour or so stuffing around with that and only getting it a tad over three quarters of the way in, we decide that the thing will stand ok like it is while we have hook it up to have a look at the picture and decide whether to call Samsung support about the screws or have another go at it. :wacko: So i am a bit disapointed with the build quality and QC for the stand assembly at least as some of mounting holes are not aligned properly.

So we get the thing hooked up with the beyonwiz and working. Picture looks really good. :)

I mean factory defaults for contrast, brightness etc etc are way to high, even in our lounge that is pretty bright during the daytime with blinds closed. But thats just adjusting the levels to get it looking right.

At least on the most basic level anyway.

So my initial impressions are that i am quite happy overall picture quality, although i still have work to do on basic calibrations for the meantime while i run the unit in.

SD & HD tv looks quite crisp and clear color reproduction and detail seems really good* as per^.

Standard dvd playback throught the new BD80 on the tv looks wonderful.

Blu ray playback i have not tested yet as the only Blu ray discs we have are stached away for wife Birthday next week, I have been trying to get "Taken" at the Big W 2 for $46/8 sale but Big w at capalaba do not seem to have any in stock on Thursday anyway. So will will have to wait to see what blu rays look like on it until after next Thursday and the wifes birthday. Not that i am really into "Harry Potter" anyway but will probaly watch one just to see how they look on the TV.

I have been actually quite impressed with the sound, I was not expecting a lot from what i had read but for standard tv watching it seems quite acceptable.

"However" i am comparing the sound to that of my old TV a Panasonic TH-76PW05A which has and always did have really cr@P sound. And also old Panasonic SC-HT70 home theatre system that hopefully will be replaced Q! next year. The only real advantage the the pana home theatre seems to have over the B650 is that it is 5.1 channel sound. But i am still to fully test that side of things out yet.

So i suspect that those with newer better quality AVR's etc would find the sound of the B650 sub standard.

Also as yet have not played with DLNA or the media player, so can't / wont comment on those features at this time but will report my observations when i do.

In summary thus far i am happy with the purchase of the B650 and am looking forward to delving deeper in to its capabilities.

Regards

grasshopper

Anyway is it worth going the B550 over the B650 to save a bit of money?

Depends on how much you are saving and if you want / need the features of 650.

650 has a better screen filter (for slightly better day time viewing) and DLNA/Media 2.0.

If you have a dedicated media player / PC for your TV, then Media 2.0 isn't needed.

For the screen filter, it makes no difference in dark room or at night with lights off.

Only makes a difference when you watch in brightl lit environment. But not HUGE diff.

The bigger difference comes with a far better filter that's used on the B850 series.

So if you don't want to spend a few hundred bucks for above, just go for B550. =)

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to decide between the Panasonic 50G10 and the Sammy 50B650 plasmas as well.

The Sammy has some nice extra features and supposedly can do 1080p over Component, which means I can still use my Yamaha RXV-459 receiver. (doesn't have hdmi)

Myer in Morley WA gave me these prices today with very little haggling.

50G10 $1900 + $349 for 4 yrs extra warranty.

50B650 $2000 + $349 for 4 yrs extra warranty.

Anymore comments/opinions on these two models and these prices?

I was actually also considering the Sony KDL46Z5500 but I'm a little worried about screen uniformity in that some clouding (back light bleeding) might be evident while watching a dark scene in a movie with the lights turned off at night.

I'm trying to decide between the Panasonic 50G10 and the Sammy 50B650 plasmas as well.

The Sammy has some nice extra features and supposedly can do 1080p over Component, which means I can still use my Yamaha RXV-459 receiver. (doesn't have hdmi)

Myer in Morley WA gave me these prices today with very little haggling.

50G10 $1900 + $349 for 4 yrs extra warranty.

50B650 $2000 + $349 for 4 yrs extra warranty.

Anymore comments/opinions on these two models and these prices?

I was actually also considering the Sony KDL46Z5500 but I'm a little worried about screen uniformity in that some clouding (back light bleeding) might be evident while watching a dark scene in a movie with the lights turned off at night.

50G10 price seems competitive - not sure about the warranty. I would be interested in knowing the sales person's name - I could be interested in a deal myself -are you able to let us know the name?

50G10 price seems competitive - not sure about the warranty. I would be interested in knowing the sales person's name - I could be interested in a deal myself -are you able to let us know the name?

Just ask for Kris.

Once i decide which one I want I'll go back and haggle a little harder.

I definitely want extended warranty (I have had electronics fail on me within 6 months out of standard 1 yr warranty) for peace of mind so there might be some more room to move.