Samsung Ps50b650 Vs Panasonic Th-p50g10a

Well I have got the G10a but didn't do a exhaustive testing out...

my friends kept telling me to take a DVD across, play it and se eteh quality etc etc... but forgot all that and made a quick purchase when I reckoned I got a good price...

initally got offerred a 3k deal for the G10a inclusive of extra 4 yrs and delivery from Myer chaddy and i accepted it on Saturday...

Recusant post later that he was offerred 2.9k triggerred buyer remorse and followed by a guy on WP getting the same for close to 2.8k, forced me to renegotiate the deal with Myer..

got it at 2.8k total.. got delivery of TV y'day and I am haaaaapppppppppyyyyy...

PQ is excellant... I like Sammy's extra features but went for Panny due to price, supposed better build as per salesperson's... Will put the diff in price to build a HTPC that will give me more features than Sammy...

I ordered a 50" G10a nearly 2 weeks ago from Clive Peeters Moorabbin for $3039 inlcuding 3yrs extra warranty and delivery but now read that you and others did much better ($2800 w/ 4yrs extra wty and delivery). I was assured this was the lowest they could go and a great price. But, I was told if I found a better price within 2 weeks of purchase Clive Peeters would better it. Now I need to demonstrate the better price - off this place as opposed to an advertised price. Any tips on how to approach this and anyone bought from Clive Peeters in similar circumstances? The TV's delivery has been delayed - out to almost 3 weeks which has added insult to the price injury!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if I went through two sets with different problems, I would get jack of them (and lose faith) also and swap for something else.

So you settled for a display that you originally considered inferior to avoid a little inconvenience :blink: , that’s your call. I’ll suffer some inconvenience to get the performance I deem required every time.

So you settled for a display that you originally considered inferior to avoid a little inconvenience :blink: , that’s your call. I’ll suffer some inconvenience to get the performance I deem required every time.

thats your call. I place 'peace of mind' at the top my list. Would do the same as Aiidi...whether Sammy to Pana or vice versa.

Edited by Godzilla

I ordered a 50" G10a nearly 2 weeks ago from Clive Peeters Moorabbin for $3039 inlcuding 3yrs extra warranty and delivery but now read that you and others did much better ($2800 w/ 4yrs extra wty and delivery). I was assured this was the lowest they could go and a great price. But, I was told if I found a better price within 2 weeks of purchase Clive Peeters would better it. Now I need to demonstrate the better price - off this place as opposed to an advertised price. Any tips on how to approach this and anyone bought from Clive Peeters in similar circumstances? The TV's delivery has been delayed - out to almost 3 weeks which has added insult to the price injury!

Help!

It may depend on where you live. I tried a couple of different stores (I live up north in a rural area) and no-one would drop below $2799 for the 50G10 with an extended wty. I would've like lower price (like everyone) but I ended up buying from JB as I have a friend that works there (gotta keep him in a job somehow :)) and they give my good service. It's sometimes better to get good service especially if something went wrong in the first 14 days other than looking for the lowest price and possibly get shafted when it comes to service.

Stock should arrive any day so you'll have your telly soon enough.

btw, have you started your claim for your Wii yet? If you've fully paid for it you have to begin the claim within three weeks of purchase date, then let them know the serial number once you get the TV.

You exchanged the Samsung for Panasonic because you did not have a bolt to fit it to the wall mount. ?????????????????????? WTF

Hey mate, I am not talking about I don't have a bold to fit it to the wall mount. The screws and bold are fit perfect on the 1st Sammy(with the restart problem). And three of the screws fit in quite well for the second one, only one not fit. This is a manufacture fault by Samsung and it got nth to do with find a bold to fit it.

It may depend on where you live. I tried a couple of different stores (I live up north in a rural area) and no-one would drop below $2799 for the 50G10 with an extended wty. I would've like lower price (like everyone) but I ended up buying from JB as I have a friend that works there (gotta keep him in a job somehow :)) and they give my good service. It's sometimes better to get good service especially if something went wrong in the first 14 days other than looking for the lowest price and possibly get shafted when it comes to service.

Stock should arrive any day so you'll have your telly soon enough.

btw, have you started your claim for your Wii yet? If you've fully paid for it you have to begin the claim within three weeks of purchase date, then let them know the serial number once you get the TV.

Thanks for your reply and the pointers. I agree about service being important. What annoyed me was that I knew the salesman - he'd sold my mum something and said he'd look after me. I had to go through the "I'll take it to my manager" ritual before getting down to $2700 (+ext wty), though when I called Myer Chadstone, a lady in TV area willingly gave me a price of $2799 over the phone with no bargaining required. In short I didn't feel I was "looked after" by my Clive Peeters contact. Almost more concerning is the following - which all G10a owners might find interesting - when I purchased mine on 5/7/09, the RRP price for this model on Panasonic's website was $3799. This makes $2700 look a healthy reduction. Yesterday, when I checked Panasonic's site, the G10a had suddenly dropped to $3299rrp! A brand new model and its price has already dropped. This $500 drop will hit resale values for owners and is a slap on the face for buyers who've carefully researched and negotiated a price as I did. I feel shafted by Panasonic and wonder if Clive Peeters had prior knowledge of this price drop.

Thanks for your reply and the pointers. I agree about service being important. What annoyed me was that I knew the salesman - he'd sold my mum something and said he'd look after me. I had to go through the "I'll take it to my manager" ritual before getting down to $2700 (+ext wty), though when I called Myer Chadstone, a lady in TV area willingly gave me a price of $2799 over the phone with no bargaining required. In short I didn't feel I was "looked after" by my Clive Peeters contact. Almost more concerning is the following - which all G10a owners might find interesting - when I purchased mine on 5/7/09, the RRP price for this model on Panasonic's website was $3799. This makes $2700 look a healthy reduction. Yesterday, when I checked Panasonic's site, the G10a had suddenly dropped to $3299rrp! A brand new model and its price has already dropped. This $500 drop will hit resale values for owners and is a slap on the face for buyers who've carefully researched and negotiated a price as I did. I feel shafted by Panasonic and wonder if Clive Peeters had prior knowledge of this price drop.

Prices of Panasonis always drop markedly about 6-9 weeks after initial release.

So the $3799 to $3299 reduction (nowish) seems fine.

In this game earlyish adopters pay more (always)

Heck that includes me, I missed out on the Wii by one week and now the price drop.

But the reverse is that I have a really nice display at home, sometimes you just got to accept the deal you get.

Loving my G10 by the way :D

Dennis.

Heck that includes me, I missed out on the Wii by one week and now the price drop.

But the reverse is that I have a really nice display at home, sometimes you just got to accept the deal you get.

Dennis.

Absolutely right Dennis! that's just way it is...we can't be winners all the tine :)

Dennis.

Thanks for the words of comfort Dennis. Seems your luck was worse than mine. I have done well but wanted to do great. Very pleased to hear you're enjoying your G10.

Someone on this forum claims to have paid around $2350 for their 50" G10. Do you think that is possible? Seems far fetched to me.

Thanks for the words of comfort Dennis. Seems your luck was worse than mine. I have done well but wanted to do great. Very pleased to hear you're enjoying your G10.

Someone on this forum claims to have paid around $2350 for their 50" G10. Do you think that is possible? Seems far fetched to me.

There is a receipt somewhere on the forum to that effect. It has ext warraty to 5yrs and delivery all for $2800 - do a search.

$2350 would be an absolutly amazing deal for a 50G10. I'm a tad sceptical :)

At the moment around $2800 is the going rate for 50s down to $2000 for the 42s.

Use those as the ballparks (e.g. don't pay more.....try to pay less).

Good luck.

Dennis.

Yesterday, when I checked Panasonic's site, the G10a had suddenly dropped to $3299rrp! A brand new model and its price has already dropped. This $500 drop will hit resale values for owners and is a slap on the face for buyers who've carefully researched and negotiated a price as I did. I feel shafted by Panasonic and wonder if Clive Peeters had prior knowledge of this price drop.
As has been said it's standard practice.

The "negotiated" price won't drop by the same amount...so soon

I'd take CP to task and ask them to better the price given the price reduction or cancel your order and take your business to Myer, who seem to be leading with pricing for not just TV's but PVRs, DVDRs etc as well

That's right Dennis.

10 years ago, people would have little idea how good/bad their negotiated price was. Nowadays with Forums like this, people often feel jibbed because they didn't get the absolute best price. As long as you are happy when you bought it

So is it:

• just yours?
  • this first batch?
  • all Panasonic plasmas?

Regarding the glass being too far to the right, my (just received yesterday) 50G10 has this slight issue too :(.

The build date on mine is May 2009 if this matters.

It's $3300 RRP. Expect at least 20% off RRP with very little haggling. So that's already $2650 or so. I reckon $2500 is quite possible.

Regarding the glass being too far to the right, my (just received yesterday) 50G10 has this slight issue too :( .

The build date on mine is May 2009 if this matters.

Sorry to hear mate, hows the set in general?

I have found out why the black levels were ordinary on my B650, it was the HDMI setting on my PS3 that needed to be changed from limited to full.

Just an update for Recusant:

I spoke to the manager at JB this morning and the Panasonic rep told him that a boat load of tellies should be hitting Australia today and they will have their stock next week. As this will be a different batch I will post my findings once I have my new set. :)

Dreamcazman I to am waiting on this boatload for my 50G10A so ill also see how mine is and post my findings. The aits been killing me.

Hey mate, I am not talking about I don't have a bold to fit it to the wall mount. The screws and bold are fit perfect on the 1st Sammy(with the restart problem). And three of the screws fit in quite well for the second one, only one not fit. This is a manufacture fault by Samsung and it got nth to do with find a bold to fit it.

Fair enough, but why not get it replaced, it does not cost you anything.

What made you choose the Sammy in the first place, there must have been some reason, has that reason suddenly become invalid?

Sorry to hear mate, hows the set in general?

I have found out why the black levels were ordinary on my B650, it was the HDMI setting on my PS3 that needed to be changed from limited to full.

I am happy with the G10A, it seems to be better than my CRT with light reflecting off the tv. I have windows directly behind my seating position and during the day light comes thru above the curtains (always closed) and shines on the tv. On my CRT an upside down arch could be seen on dark scenes, the plasma seems to cope much better with no such 'arch of light' on screen.

I dont have Bly ray but DVD at 576p looks quite good, I may buy a hdmi cable and try DVD upscaled in the player to 720p or 1080i. I think 720p might be the best result until I buy a Bly ray player.

Also I have 3 dead pixels, not visible from seating position but try are there nonetherless. I have emailed Panasonic but suspect that they will say it's within tolerance levels. I may go into Myer (place of purchase) and voice my issues with them too.

I am happy with the G10A, it seems to be better than my CRT with light reflecting off the tv. I have windows directly behind my seating position and during the day light comes thru above the curtains (always closed) and shines on the tv. On my CRT an upside down arch could be seen on dark scenes, the plasma seems to cope much better with no such 'arch of light' on screen.

I dont have Bly ray but DVD at 576p looks quite good, I may buy a hdmi cable and try DVD upscaled in the player to 720p or 1080i. I think 720p might be the best result until I buy a Bly ray player.

Also I have 3 dead pixels, not visible from seating position but try are there nonetherless. I have emailed Panasonic but suspect that they will say it's within tolerance levels. I may go into Myer (place of purchase) and voice my issues with them too.

Good to hear regarding the reflections, as that and image retention are the things I hate the most about plasma's.

Dead pixels, bugger mate, thats not good at all. Thats pretty unlucky, I haven't heard of dead pixels with plasma's for a while. How common is it?

Good to hear regarding the reflections, as that and image retention are the things I hate the most about plasma's.

Dead pixels, bugger mate, thats not good at all. Thats pretty unlucky, I haven't heard of dead pixels with plasma's for a while. How common is it?

There has been no sign of IR either.

I find your comments on the reflection particularly interesting as from the sound of it, When i get my new B650 or G10a it will be going into an enviroment very similar to yours.

Windows directly behind seating position and directly facing the screen. The blinds will always be closed but like you will have a strip across the top that will shine on the screen.

Initialy i had thought that i would get an LCD because of the issues this presents but after much reading and the going and having a look at them in the shops the other day ruled an LCD out as to me the picture quality looked by far inferior to the plasma's and i do not think i could look at that for extended periods of time and enjoy it.

Although i did not actually see a B650 instore only an A650 or 5 series to compare to the G10a.

But what i did notice the other day when i was out looking was that the Sammy's seemed to get reflection on the screen more easily than the Pana, But on the occasion i did see reflection on the Pana it seemd to flare the reflection out more or less all over the screen kind of like what happens on my Samsung LCD pc monitor. Where as the Samsungs seemed to me that when they did get reflection it was just a bar/stripe or whatever that stayed localised to where the reflection was striking the screen. Which makes me more inclined toward the Samsung than the Panasonic as if i am going to have to put up with reflection on the screen i would much rather have it just on localised parts of the screen than flaring all over it.

But i would be very interested to hear what your experiences are with how the G10a handles the reflection when it does get it?

I would also like to hear any opinions on whether or not the Samsung B650 handles reflection similarly to the A650 and the 5 series ( i should note that my observations the other day led me to the opinion that A650 handles the reflection in much the same way as the 5 series meaning just a straight reflection without flaring, but is less prone to reflection than the 5 series is.

I hope you get some joy trying to get the dead pixal issue sorted out. What a let down to get a new TV and then find it has dead pixals.

Regards

grasshopper

But i would be very interested to hear what your experiences are with how the G10a handles the reflection when it does get it?

I would also like to hear any opinions on whether or not the Samsung B650 handles reflection similarly to the A650 and the 5 series ( i should note that my observations the other day led me to the opinion that A650 handles the reflection in much the same way as the 5 series meaning just a straight reflection without flaring, but is less prone to reflection than the 5 series is.

B550 = FilterBright

A650 = Ultra FilterBright

B650 = Ultra FilterBright

B850 = Ultra FilterBright Plus

Consider B550 to be similar to the G10a in terms of light handling.

Hence B650 should handle the light slightly better than B550/G10.

I have no idea if they improved it further over the A650 though.

I find your comments on the reflection particularly interesting as from the sound of it, When i get my new B650 or G10a it will be going into an enviroment very similar to yours.

Windows directly behind seating position and directly facing the screen. The blinds will always be closed but like you will have a strip across the top that will shine on the screen.

Initialy i had thought that i would get an LCD because of the issues this presents but after much reading and the going and having a look at them in the shops the other day ruled an LCD out as to me the picture quality looked by far inferior to the plasma's and i do not think i could look at that for extended periods of time and enjoy it.

Although i did not actually see a B650 instore only an A650 or 5 series to compare to the G10a.

But what i did notice the other day when i was out looking was that the Sammy's seemed to get reflection on the screen more easily than the Pana, But on the occasion i did see reflection on the Pana it seemd to flare the reflection out more or less all over the screen kind of like what happens on my Samsung LCD pc monitor. Where as the Samsungs seemed to me that when they did get reflection it was just a bar/stripe or whatever that stayed localised to where the reflection was striking the screen. Which makes me more inclined toward the Samsung than the Panasonic as if i am going to have to put up with reflection on the screen i would much rather have it just on localised parts of the screen than flaring all over it.

I hope you get some joy trying to get the dead pixal issue sorted out. What a let down to get a new TV and then find it has dead pixals.

Regards

grasshopper

The G10 is coping very well with the windows behind me and curtains closed. Much better than my CRT. With the tv off there is not much of a mirror effect, I can hardly see mysef in the reflection. So with it on it is very good in this regard.

The dead pixels is a bummer and I don't have much hope that Panasonic will exchange the tv with 3 pixels far apart from each other. I can't see them from my seating position but the fact that I know they are there bugs me.

B550 = FilterBright

A650 = Ultra FilterBright

B650 = Ultra FilterBright

B850 = Ultra FilterBright Plus

Consider B550 to be similar to the G10a in terms of light handling.

Hence B650 should handle the light slightly better than B550/G10.

I have no idea if they improved it further over the A650 though.

The number of Samsung models - A & B from 450 upwards is mindboggling!

Is the A and B used to distunguish the filter technologies offered or is there more to it?

Either way, it seems Samsung stack the market with a glut of series and models, complicating buyer research and giving Samsung a bigger percentage overall of models on the market.

LCD, Plasma and LED...talk about having a bob each and every way!!