But it makes Zavvi more appealing for orders now. The free shipping changed my buying habits. ...or even fishpond.

I just looked at Savvi and most blu's were more than Amazon UK to begin with, so a few quid shipping won't bother me if the price is the lowest I've seen for a given title.

Fishpond's prices are insane, surely a joke?

I mean they didn't send any emails out. And obviously it caught everyone unawares as I wasn't seeing any noise online saying "oh the free UK shipping is stopping, hurry up and get your orders in!!!". No, it just stopped, and maybe some overobservant poindexters who always read fine print noticed (and didn't bother frigging mentioning online like here or other forums), but I didn't, and I doubt many others did either.

No they didn't send out emails, why would they?

The end date has always been on the very easy to find international shipping page, really not the domain of "overobservant poindexters" I would have thought... and what do you mean "didn't bother mentioning"? I've listed my many posts about this below...

JSmith :ninja:

Ah god what a travesty! It has disappeared today :( Absolutely no notice as well. What a joke

I sure hope it returns

I just did a test order and yes it did come up with the free shipping option... still, this page has changed to say the offer has ended. I hope they decide to continue it, surely they'd lose a fair bit of business if not.

Odd, Amazon UK's site still says the offer expires on the 15/1/2012 yet the free shipping banners come up still when you have an Aussie IP... seems like it may well be extended again. :)

I hope so, yes it is very handy.

It has gone past midnight in the UK, the website still says expires on the 15th yet free shipping still seems to apply to orders. Just to be safe I put an order through last night... ;)

So, I wonder if the free shipping to Australia and NZ will be extended again tomorrow? :clover::ermm:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean they didn't send any emails out. And obviously it caught everyone unawares as I wasn't seeing any noise online saying "oh the free UK shipping is stopping, hurry up and get your orders in!!!". No, it just stopped, and maybe some overobservant poindexters who always read fine print noticed (and didn't bother frigging mentioning online like here or other forums), but I didn't, and I doubt many others did either.

Actually I did mention on page 56 that the end date was brought forward to 15/01/2012. I really don't know what kind of notice you expect them to give you. You hardly need to be an overobservant poindexter to click on one banner on the front page of the website to know when the end date was.

Keep in mind that if we see an Amazon.com.au it WILL be adding 10% GST to everything ..... I wonder if it still would not compete with the prices plus postage from the UK and US.... And we all know delivery via Aus Post will likely take longer.

ofcourse chops. no question. but for moment I will stick to jb and others for purchase since if have to pay shipping from uk I dont think worth the hassle. if they do kick of and amazon au store be interesting what pricing we end up with. and I do hope it would then be free shipping !

no offence to the auspost supporters but in my experience as ridiculous as it is its often quicker to get something posted from over seas than interstate !. sorry but thats just been my experience.

I placed a sizable order last night with AmazonUK then stopped at the last second because of the postage cost.

I have done this (not gone through with the sale) in the past and have been quizzed via email as to why - when usually I have simply bought elsewhere etc. If they contact me again and observe many past and potential customers also aren't hitting the Purchase button - it may make them hopefully reflect. I know of five new customers I have introduced from my work who won't be so quick to part with their money until the free post is restored...

Previously I got all my books from Bookdepository, betterworkld books, but with the free shipping (as the other two stores already have) Amazon UK was more competitive (not always). Now, I can't even bother looking at them, and will just get them from Book depository or betterworld books, or even fishpond.

I am looking at a few book in depository website . their price pretty good compare to our local Dymocks or Borders . How long it normally take for you to received the book . same time as Blu-ray Disc from UK like 10-14 Days ?

I am looking at a few book in depository website . their price pretty good compare to our local Dymocks or Borders . How long it normally take for you to received the book . same time as Blu-ray Disc from UK like 10-14 Days ?

From my experiences with the Book Depository, yes.

Yeah, Bookdepository is about the same speed as Amazon UK when Amazon UK aren't sending via Germany... Betterworld books on the other hand can be slow, especially if you get from their marketplace - I believe BWB use a forwarding scheme, where the seller sends the books to BWB and they post them overseas. Fishpond (yes, I do buy books from them when they are the best price, and got at least 8 last year) are about the same - they just get their books sent from overseas direct.

Also, there is a great Aussie site for comparing book prices, to Australia

http://booko.com.au/

Edited by napalm68

Has anyone noticed a lot of inconsistancy with postage times lately? I order a lot from the US and generally it was always up to around 15 days. Lately i have some things turn up with 8 days, and I'm currently waiting on something that's been 24 days! All from the same place. I don't get what could cause such a huge variance.

Has anyone noticed a lot of inconsistancy with postage times lately? I order a lot from the US and generally it was always up to around 15 days. Lately i have some things turn up with 8 days, and I'm currently waiting on something that's been 24 days! All from the same place. I don't get what could cause such a huge variance.

Yeah, I've always had pretty spotty delivery times for US and UK (UK when they used Deustch Post especially)

It remains to be seen if we get Amazon.com.AU very soon. If that doesn't happen and Europe keeps sliding deeper into the mire, it's odds-on that the free shipping will make a comeback.

As much as I'd like to see the free shipping come back, presumably they stopped it because they weren't making money from it. If the increase in number of orders (and associated revenue/profit) was less than the additional costs associated with the free shipping, then it really doesn't make sense for them to offer it any further.

On the flip side though, now they've offered it for a while, I'm now much less inclined to purchase from Amazon UK as the overall price now seems much higher due to the shipping cost. They may now be seeing a lower level of ordering from Australia than before the promotion started, in which case, they could look to address this.

We'll just have to wait and see...

Edited by James Belsey

On the flip side though, now they've offered it for a while, I'm now much less inclined to purchase from Amazon UK as the overall price now seems much higher due to the shipping cost. We'll just have to wait and see...

I am much less tempted to spend the extra to reach the 25 Pound per order now,

so I am actually not spending as much as I used to, because I am not adding titles I don't really want or will watch only once.

therefore removing free postage is a saving for me.

Yeah, sad. They are no longer competitive at all for books against Bookdepository, BetterworldBooks, or Fishpond (yes, I've bought a lot of books form Fishpond since Amazon stopped free shipping, and they were definitely cheaper).

Blu Rays though - they still have some pretty good prices, but I've not ordered anything since - and not that I'm waiting for free shipping to return, just not so competitive. Now rather than just plain impulse buying I order more like Amazon US where I place larger orders to offset postage costs. Although unlike Amazon US they don't generally split the shipments for no extra cost. And a lot of the ones I look out they end up cheaper amazon US with the shipping, in a larger order.

• 3 weeks later...

There is starting to be a problem with Amazon UK in that some titles now say that they cannot be shipped to Australia (or more accurately it says that 'We are not able to dispatch this item to your default delivery address'). A couple of titles I tried to order came up with this message - they were Cleopatra and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes.

It says on the website that it is due to these titles being supplied by a company called Indigostarfish.com, who are based in Jersey. They state as an explaination that they only ship to the UK.

For all we know that company may take over all supplies for Amazon UK, and then they will never ship to Australia again!

There is starting to be a problem with Amazon UK in that some titles now say that they cannot be shipped to Australia (or more accurately it says that 'We are not able to dispatch this item to your default delivery address').

Looks like its just an error, as you still can order the titles that have that msg. I just did a dummy order with Cleopatra and I can still go all the way through checkout and finalise the order if I wanted too.

• 2 weeks later...

i waited and waited and waited for so long

and now this :(

Twilight Breaking Dawn pt1

Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described. We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Just received an email from Amazon UK...

"Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

You saved £0.02 with Amazon.co.uk's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)

Price on order date: £14.99

Price charged at dispatch: £14.97

Lowest price up to and including release date: £14.97

Quantity: 1

Total Savings: £0.02

£0.02 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.co.uk, and we hope to see you again soon."

WooHoo!!! now where will I spend It?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my package today after 3 weeks of wait. Found most disc cases are pressed and crack. Their new packaging really provide zero protection unlike the good old days with big box and air bags. Will see how they handle my problem. Really don't want to waste another month and wait for replacement.

That's one of the reasons I've cut back my purchase from Amazon UK, althought they get replaced but the hassles of emailing them, and wait for replacements ain't worth saving a few bucks! I buy more locals these days...

...Found most disc cases are pressed and crack. Their new packaging really provide zero protection unlike the good old days with big box and air bags.....

They promise to give me refund of GBP 7 to cover my replacement cost which is best for both of us. But 7 is not enough to cover the actual replacement cost of 5 (some 2 and 3 disc cases) so I ask for GBP 5 more. They agree with no questions ask. Not too bad but empty cases are just too expensive even buying from local online shops.

BTW I hate deutsche post.

Edited by PKK