http://www.smh.com.a...0118-1q56z.html

The Australian dollar has climbed to a 27-year-high against the pound, offering holiday discounts for Australians plying the kangaroo route to London.

The Aussie gained more than one pence against the pound overnight, rising to almost 68 pence - the highest since February 1985 - before easing back to 67.7 in recent trading

AMAZON UK..................YOU'LL BE GETTING MORE OF MY BUSINESS SOON !! :)

Edited by tonyjg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never ordered from Amazon UK. With their free shipping how long do items take & which courier company do they use. Also do they offer a expedited shipping??? As Amazon USA are now F'd up. You pay for exedited & you get standard shipping service.

:pirate:

Amazon UK use either Royal Mail or Deutsche Post DHL. Only options are standard shipping or Free Super saver delivery (for orders over 25 quid). The timeframe they specify is the same for both (8-12 business days).

In reality, Royal Mail seems to be fairly speedy - some members have reported delivery times of as little as 3 days following dispatch. Average is around a week. Deutsche Post for whatever reason seem to take 2 or 3 times as long. You don't get a choice to choose which courier company you want to use - it seems to be luck of the draw depending on what you order and where it happens to be warehoused as to what you end up with.

Stuff from Amazon US seems to take an incredibly long time compared to Amazon UK, and isn't packaged as well either. Just my 2c, others may have different experiences.

D.

I've never ordered from Amazon UK. With their free shipping how long do items take & which courier company do they use. Also do they offer a expedited shipping??? As Amazon USA are now F'd up. You pay for exedited & you get standard shipping service.

:pirate:

Check to make sure they're still honouring the free shipping at the checkout, given it was scheduled only until 15 Jan. Packages go via Royal Mail (usually 7-10 days, sometimes quicker) or Deutsche Douche PostTM (often 14-21 days).

Larger packages tend to be more likely to go with Douche. If you have any pre-orders or out of stock each order won't be split. Break your orders up into multiples of £25.

I've never bothered with priority shipping from the UK - it would probably go Douche and take at least as long (my last Douche/DHL priority shipping from another vendor in Germany took nearly 4 weeks).

If ordering blu-rays, be aware that the UK get a lot more issues cropped to 16:9 (and the UK site doesn't list aspect ratio with any reliability).

Edited by Quark

Is still working for me...just did an order and. Is still an option. :)

I just did a test order and yes it did come up with the free shipping option... still, this page has changed to say the offer has ended. I hope they decide to continue it, surely they'd lose a fair bit of business if not.

JSmith :ninja:

Hopefully they'll bring it back. Couple of blurays in basket - with current shipping price even after VAT removal it works out cheaper to get them from Zavvi. They'd know their business better than i do, but seems like they're going to lose a lot orders.

Much depends on us,,,,,, us Aussies..... if we stop buying from them.... then they'll do the 'sums' again and work out where their business is NOT coming from. I've had a great year of free shipping - and enough CDs and Blu-rays to do me for a long time - and anything that I have in my wishlist will stay there until 1) the prices fall further 2) the pound falls further against the $A or 3) free shipping comes back.

Ah god what a travesty! It has disappeared today :( :( :( :( Absolutely no notice as well. What a joke

I sure hope it returns

What do you mean 'no notice'? The end date was clearly shown and they even allowed a few days grace... You snooze, you lose?

If your post was sarcasm, then disregard everything above :)

What do you mean 'no notice'? The end date was clearly shown and they even allowed a few days grace... You snooze, you lose?

If your post was sarcasm, then disregard everything above :)

I mean they didn't send any emails out. And obviously it caught everyone unawares as I wasn't seeing any noise online saying "oh the free UK shipping is stopping, hurry up and get your orders in!!!". No, it just stopped, and maybe some overobservant poindexters who always read fine print noticed (and didn't bother frigging mentioning online like here or other forums), but I didn't, and I doubt many others did either.

perhaps its the slump of the GBP to the aussie dollar ? maybe this whole thing was a test to. to gauge interest/receptiveness of the aussie market. As we know there has been mention of amazon.com.au maybe will come. but yeah I wont be buying without free shipping. that and no vat would bring competitive to prices here. but i'll give our local guys here a run for a while. JB and co can have my cash for now :)

I'm so glad I ordered those books last week. Book postage is ridiculous there.

But it makes Zavvi more appealing for orders now. The free shipping changed my buying habits. I bought more, impulse bought more, and wasn't so worried about making up a big order to even the postage costs out (like I do with Amazon US still). And I bought a lot from them that I'd typically have bought elsewhere. Like for books they won't even rank a second or third glance anymore - prior to free shipping Amazon UK never ONCE turned up on my radar for book purchasing. Previously I got all my books from Bookdepository, betterworkld books, but with the free shipping (as the other two stores already have) Amazon UK was more competitive (not always). Now, I can't even bother looking at them, and will just get them from Book depository or betterworld books, or even fishpond.

Edited by napalm68

Keep in mind that if we see an Amazon.com.au it WILL be adding 10% GST to everything ..... I wonder if it still would not compete with the prices plus postage from the UK and US.... And we all know delivery via Aus Post will likely take longer.

Chopsus, some media reports have suggested that the AU Amazon site will offshore their warehouse (and presumably the legal entity you purchase from), so may still avoid GST. Seem to recall that Amazon UK does something similar with the Guernsey arrangements.

Keep in mind that if we see an Amazon.com.au it WILL be adding 10% GST to everything ..... I wonder if it still would not compete with the prices plus postage from the UK and US.... And we all know delivery via Aus Post will likely take longer.

Chopsus, not sure how you figure that for Australia Post. The end delivery from Amazon UK is by Aus Post in any case. EzyHD experience reported by Keith who must pump out 1,000's of HDMI caples a week is always very positive. Personally I find almost always that on line purchases delivered by AUS Post are efficient. My EzyHD and Selby experiences have always been +++ especially the prompt delivery. YMMV.

I mean they didn't send any emails out. And obviously it caught everyone unawares as I wasn't seeing any noise online saying "oh the free UK shipping is stopping, hurry up and get your orders in!!!". No, it just stopped, and maybe some overobservant poindexters who always read fine print noticed (and didn't bother frigging mentioning online like here or other forums), but I didn't, and I doubt many others did either.

Sorry but what a load of...

To say you didn't know it was ending is rather an extravagent claim as you have been haunting forums such as this (or DVD Plaza) for many many years, probably even longer than me.

And there are several comments on this forum (and whirlpool) talking about the impending end of the free shipping. That and the fact that it was extended on no less than 3 occasions should have made you accutely aware that it would most likely end at some point.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Edited by kurgan