• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question on Amazon preorders...payment is made when the item is shipped? or when you preorder ?

Just going to preorder Star Wars, but want to pay now to take advantage of the good exchange rate. Does Amazon allow this ?

ok so I found out that preorders are only paid for when the item is shipped. Can you preorders be paid for by a Gift Certificate ? Just trying to take advantage of todays good exchange rate with the Sterling. ie: could I just purchase a gift certificate say for 60 pounds today and use that as the payment for a preorder ?

sorry, just not super familar with ordering from amazon...any help would be appreciated.

Edited by tsteele

ok so I found out that preorders are only paid for when the item is shipped. Can you preorders be paid for by a Gift Certificate ? Just trying to take advantage of todays good exchange rate with the Sterling. ie: could I just purchase a gift certificate say for 60 pounds today and use that as the payment for a preorder ?

sorry, just not super familar with ordering from amazon...any help would be appreciated.

When placing an order, you can elect to pay from an existing gift card balance or from a nominated Credit Card. Payment is only debited when the order ships.

Therefore, you can purchase a gift card at todays exchange rate, apply it to your account, then place an order and choose to pay from the gift card account: the order will effectively be paid at the gift card exchange rate when the order ships.

It's a bit of a gamble as the exchange rate could go even lower by the time an order ships and so it would have been cheaper to pay by Credit Card, but if the exhange rate increases, then with a gift card it's a win.

Note that using a gift card to pay for orders prevents orders from being combined and if the item is damaged on receipt and needs to be replaced, it can only be refunded.

the order will effectively be paid at the gift card exchange rate when the order ships.

that is the exchange rate when the gift card was purchased (aka today) vs when the order ships, say for a preorder in 3 months time. I'm just looking at the exchange rate between GBP & AUD, and it's basically at it's highest it's ever been, around 0.66 pounds per $1 AUD. But agreed, who knows where the dollar will be in 3 months time, it could be higher or lower. If I think it will be lower, then using a gift card today is best, or if the rate went higher, then cc would be better. Have I got that right ?

that is the exchange rate when the gift card was purchased (aka today) vs when the order ships, say for a preorder in 3 months time. I'm just looking at the exchange rate between GBP & AUD, and it's basically at it's highest it's ever been, around 0.66 pounds per $1 AUD. But agreed, who knows where the dollar will be in 3 months time, it could be higher or lower. If I think it will be lower, then using a gift card today is best, or if the rate went higher, then cc would be better. Have I got that right ?

Yes, poor choice of words on my part. The gift card exchange rate is applicable at the time of gift card purchase and is fixed at that time, whereas Credit Card exchange rates are applicable at the time the order is shipped.

Basically a gift card locks in the current exchange rate, if you think it might get worse by the time the order ships.

If you think the exchange rate might improve by the time an order ships, then Credit Card might be better.

If your order is a pre-order and you nominally pay via Credit Card, I think you may be able to actually pay with a gift card as long as you change the method of payment for the order before it ships.

Amazon UK have sunk to a low point in my estimation: received Tron/Tron Legacy and the Tron case is broken across one corner; advised Amazon and they unilaterally decided to give me a measly £1 refund and no other option.

The cheapskates! I have a good mind to return the damaged product at their cost (which is quite considerable for registered post from Australia) and ask for a replacement.

UPDATE: after expressing my dissatisfaction with their resolution to my issue, Amazon have apologised and refunded the value of the title; they no longer have stock of Tron/Tron Legacy so they couldn't replace it; but they rejected my suggestion of simply replacing Tron since their standalone version is identical to what is in the twin box set.

Edited by IanD

Amazon UK have sunk to a low point in my estimation: received Tron/Tron Legacy and the Tron case is broken across one corner; advised Amazon and they unilaterally decided to give me a measly £1 refund and no other option.

The cheapskates! I have a good mind to return the damaged product at their cost (which is quite considerable for registered post from Australia) and ask for a replacement.

Similar thing happened to me with a 2-disc case from the US, which Amazon couldn't replace.

I'm thinking of asking for a replacement case to be sent with my next order & see if that suites them better..

Annoying, since these US 2-disc cases are hard to find locally, but at least the disc was ok..

Now is the time to place all those orders in Amazon UK

The Aussie dollar surged to 66.59 pence this morning.

That's the highest exchange rate between Australia and the UK in 26 years.

your movies will be cheaper than ever.

You got that right, just got The Godfather boxset and the Alien Anthology blu-rays for $49.33

That's about $150 worth if i bought it in Australia

I've found since they started using those "C-type" packaging more items arrived damaged (cases broken, product boxes crushed...etc...)

Unlike carton boxes, these packaging are not constructed to provide protection at all. I've been giving Amazon feedbacks on the packaging for every delivery I received and also demand refund/replacement for every item arrived damaged. I suggest every one to do the same untill Amazon get the message and change for better packaging. I'm really fed up with wasting my time writing to them about damaged items.....

I've found since they started using those "C-type" packaging more items arrived damaged (cases broken, product boxes crushed...etc...)

Unlike carton boxes, these packaging are not constructed to provide protection at all. I've been giving Amazon feedbacks on the packaging for every delivery I received and also demand refund/replacement for every item arrived damaged. I suggest every one to do the same untill Amazon get the message and change for better packaging. I'm really fed up with wasting my time writing to them about damaged items.....

I agree: the C-type packaging affords little protection, especially to delicate boxsets and any gatefold cardboard disc holders.

However, I have received many recent titles in simple bubble envelopes which have even less protection: eco cases with their cutouts and thin paper cover art are particularly susceptible to the covers getting creased and wrinkled, if not the cases themselves breaking.

At the end of the day, I wonder just how economic the eco cases really are with the current poor state of packaging and returns/refunds due to damage.

Can I get a bit of a heads up on delivery times lately, have they really blown out that badly with super saver shipping?

Been waiting for nearly a month now for one of my recent orders. Its a far cry from past days, including an order which arrived on the friday after being placed on a monday.....

If it's free shipping does it really matter how long it takes? Come on, 2 weeks to get from the UK for no cost and great prices due to our strong dollar, i'm fine with it!

Exactly, if you want it NOW go to the bloody store down the road and PAY the $$ and you'll have it now.

I'm not complaining at all, the problem is that an order was dispatched June 20, with an estimate of July 11, and I am still waiting. I have checked with the local Post Office (had 1 problem in 2.5 years so not a perfect track record, but pretty slim chance of the issue being there)

I'm going to wait until July 20 before sending the email to Amazon. My experiences of late have been around the 2 week mark as well, I was just after others experiences over the past month or so before I contacted Amazon.

In regards to packaging comments here-in, I've one package arrive a month or so back where the package was open at one end, but nothing missing, no opened by customs or re-sealed by Aus post either.

Thanks to those who have responded.

ordered Thursday 14th 9pm

dispatched Friday 15th 4pm

order on my doorstep Friday 22nd 1:30pm

arrived under 5 business days, can't beat that.

but I have another order that was placed 2 days before this one that has not yet turned up...

explain that...

mines from amazon uk,

was posted yesterday, turned up 5 min ago ! :o

thats got to be a record :lol:

all thanks to 709 :D fantastic ! woohoo !

nice the debortli box too :winky:

That's great to hear :), though my secret has been revealed :lol::lol::o

mines from amazon uk,

was posted yesterday, turned up 5 min ago ! :o

thats got to be a record :lol:

all thanks to 709 :D fantastic ! woohoo !

nice the debortli box too :winky:

Was that on the standard free delivery? If so, incredibly fast!!!

I noticed that my current order has not yet shipped despite being ordered over a week ago. Despatch date is still estimated into August. The products were all in stock. As a frequent customer who uses the free shipping this is by far the longest delay, usually shipping (and delivery) is very fast.

Edited by David1

*Edit* Has anyone successfully ordered "Battle: Los Angeles" from Amazon UK???

For some reasons the ordering system keep resetting the quantity to '0'.....

I was getting the same thing so just gave up and deleted it from my order......

*Edit* Has anyone successfully ordered "Battle: Los Angeles" from Amazon UK???

For some reasons the ordering system keep resetting the quantity to '0'.....

Ordered mine on the 18th, shipped the 20th, had no problem with the ordering system then.

Cheers.