Sign in to follow this  
nightbreed

The Official Emotiva Owners Thread

That does sound like a beast of a processor.

I was expecting something like 7.2.4 Jutta ; more details soon hopefully :ahappy: The back panel will be a nice size with all those unbalanced and balanced xlr's ; reminds me a bit of the fully balanced denon avp-a1 panel ..

I get the impression with others that there working on small form factor class d after they mentioned 1ru size amps :logik: That will match well with all those channels not to mention the umc200 replacement you may have noted .

There is a "baby" 7.1 processor in final development. It has some very cool features that I'm not ready to speak about just now. As a teaser though, it uses a smaller version of the OLED used in the XMC-1 and you have to see it to believe it. Same exact look and resolution, but smaller. It's going to have some very unique and useful features. We have fully functional hardware running on this unit, so its launch is not that far off. Made in Franklin, TN USA

Hi all,

thinking of getting the XPA-200 for my B&W 685 S1; would this be a good combo? currently running the B&W on a Pioneer SC-1223;

If Im buying from the Emotiva website, do I need to get a step down power converter to run in Aust?

cheers

Edited by OkiToki

No step down required. They are dual voltage comparable but supplied with US power cable. Either re-plug it or get a PC or jug cord and you're away

I was expecting something like 7.2.4 Jutta ; more details soon hopefully :ahappy: The back panel will be a nice size with all those unbalanced and balanced xlr's ; reminds me a bit of the fully balanced denon avp-a1 panel ..

I get the impression with others that there working on small form factor class d after they mentioned 1ru size amps :logik: That will match well with all those channels not to mention the umc200 replacement you may have noted .

One thing I like about the XMC is the lack of analogue video, it really saves space for the real stuff (like the balanced stereo in). I assume the XMR will go the same way - whenever it appears - so the back panel shouldn't be too bad. But, I just can't see myself bothering with More 3D Sound™ at this stage, I'm gravitating more toward music than movies in my dotage. And really, that's where the XMC delivers the most. I've always used AV components for music, going back to a Pioneer DVD player that also played SACD (quite badly). I'm still using AV components, the difference is that for the first time I'm happy with the 2-channel sound, because the digital processing on the XMC is so good. It woke my speakers up and made them disappear all at the same time.

One thing I like about the XMC is the lack of analogue video, it really saves space for the real stuff (like the balanced stereo in). I assume the XMR will go the same way - whenever it appears - so the back panel shouldn't be too bad. But, I just can't see myself bothering with More 3D Sound™ at this stage, I'm gravitating more toward music than movies in my dotage. And really, that's where the XMC delivers the most. I've always used AV components for music, going back to a Pioneer DVD player that also played SACD (quite badly). I'm still using AV components, the difference is that for the first time I'm happy with the 2-channel sound, because the digital processing on the XMC is so good. It woke my speakers up and made them disappear all at the same time.

Yes ; all those component;s-video and composites should be banished forever ; its like some mainstream ce's dont understand the analog sunset clause and hdmi taking over :question: if its anything like the trinnov altitude the sp/difs are very scarce ; it may get some db25s possibly- that would help ..

The xpr amps size gives a clue to the size imo ; with a nice etched faceplate as well :queen: The release of dts-x details soon will help I read its capable of matrixing another height layer with a standard 5.1/7.1 settup with no extra speakers . A digital crossover put in the xmr1 would enable you to triamp an active speaker system with 3 channels to each speaker ; who knows atm though ; that would be pretty sweet for some here :question:

Edited by cwt

When I had the UMC I'd run coax/optical from the PVR (because HDMI took forever to lock on to the audio when changing channels), and also from the Oppo for 2-channel because jitter was much worse with HDMI. Both of these problems disappeared with the XMC.

If will be interesting to see if DST-X can be retrofitted to the XMC-1.

When I had the UMC I'd run coax/optical from the PVR (because HDMI took forever to lock on to the audio when changing channels), and also from the Oppo for 2-channel because jitter was much worse with HDMI. Both of these problems disappeared with the XMC.

If will be interesting to see if DST-X can be retrofitted to the XMC-1.

I also run toslink from the Foxtel IQ2 cable box to the a UMC-200, solves the HDMI HDCP handshaking issues. But I have no jitter problems using HDMI from the BD payers (Panasonic, 103 or 105). Although I do most of my stereo 2.1 CD music listening via the ERC-3 which has analogue (RCA) connections to the pre amp (USP-1).

Cheers

Gary

21796_10152745124294205_7511206068569677

Submersive EQ

10455692_10152745124659205_3872845522921

Velodyne 1200U EQ

As you can see the Velo sub is easier to tame than the subM, I think I have a node around 26Hz and a dip around 68Hz in the room, the front and center speakers also show high reflection around 26Hz as well.

As you can see the Velo sub is easier to tame than the subM, I think I have a node around 26Hz and a dip around 68Hz in the room, the front and center speakers also show high reflection around 26Hz as well.

Have you tried moving the sub, further out from a corner perhaps or away from a wall?

A corner sub trap (or 2) usually helps in the 20 hz to 30 hz.

Cheers

Gary

Due to it's size it's hard place that far away from the walls, I tried left & right front 1.5m away from side walls and 20cm from front wall, I placed it parallel to the side wall 3m from front but no improvement, I have corner traps (cheap one so maybe not doing the job) but it's a great improvement on bass since Dirac was run but I think it can be better still...

I often hear people saying that they could see hear big improvement going from integrated AVR to pre-pro and separate amps and I thought to myself can you really notice that difference? now I know :yes: , the way to tell is listen to both in the same environment.

edit: typo

Edited by Tom Tom

Just added the 2 x XPA-1L's into the system where they power the FL and FR. Noticeable, but not night and day, improvement over the XPA-5 in Class AB. In Class A I can pick the more realistic highs, like cymbals which have that metallic ring to them. Really nice sound overall, plenty of grunt for movies although I haven't had the chance to fully rebalance the 5.1 system, I'll do that over the weekend.

Cheers

Gary

Anyone have experience with importing Emotiva XPAs in?

I'm considering it and have noticed they no longer go through that Bongo service.

Anyone have experience with importing Emotiva XPAs in?

I'm considering it and have noticed they no longer go through that Bongo service.

There's quite a few people on the forum that's imported them, what would you like to know?

Have you asked for an international quote (it's probably a good thing they're not using Bongo anymore)

Edited by tableturns

It's great thing if it's true. Bongo was far too expensive

It's great thing if it's true. Bongo was far too expensive

I guess it depends on what's replaced it.

Hopefully reasonable freight costs and a cost effective way of paying for it.

I've had to wire transfer money to them and if I remember correctly also use PayPal once, it'd be much better if you could use a cc such as 28degrees which has no fees and a "good" exchange rate.

I'm hoping JT1's got a quote and can tell us what they're doing now. (freight and payment wise)

I just ordered 2 x Big Egos and the freight was very reasonable, $US53 for both.

Cheers

Gary

I just ordered 2 x Big Egos and the freight was very reasonable, $US53 for both.

Cheers

Gary

Very reasonable

I got a quote just recently out of interest, this is during the summer sale:

2 x XPA-5: $1,798.20
3 x XPA-1L: $1,617.30

Freight: $1,070.82 UPS Worldwide
Total: $4,486.32

Seems pretty similar to the Bongo pricing...

Dollar fallen further in recent months too which will hurt

Yep same. I need a couple of small mono amps or a 2ch

I can highly recommend the XPA-100 or if you want a step up then the XPA-1L, which many claim is the sweet spot in the monoblock range, sound quality for money.

Cheers

Gary