How To Assess And Set Up Your Projector

This is the reason why HD projectors should be adjusted using the Blu-ray DVE disc. Prticularly when using the physical colour filter and checking the colour of the display.

It still does not solve the grey scale and the blue filter should be a "wratten 50" and I have read on the net that it is not quite correct.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

What is the problem with the grey scale?

The display has to be fed with various values of Y with the Pr and Pb @ 0 (digital level 128). Then you need to get the grey scale to appear grey against a grey scale card illuminated with light of D6500. The other way to do this is to use an Radiance meter (measures the radiated power from the screen and not the light from the screen) and measure each primary in turn. Each value should be identical. Very few people can use this method because of the cost of this piece of measuring equipment.

The coloured filters I was referring to are the ones provided with the disc.

AlanH

Holy hell. alanh are you sure you want to recommend people use a meter to configure their equipment? That certainly seems to contradict your previous statements. Would you be willing to clarify your position on this matter?

Mark,

What is the problem with the grey scale?

Out of the box, my (all) BenQ is running about 8300K, not 6500K. Red Green and Blue is not even aligned. Some Sony's run as high as 9300K. This means BLUE greys in video not grey greys in video and WILL affect every ithger colour we see.

The display has to be fed with various values of Y with the Pr and Pb @ 0 (digital level 128). Then you need to get the grey scale to appear grey against a grey scale card illuminated with light of D6500.

Does that card tool actually exist? It may be useful on a CRT but not for a projector as you do not want to be adding light into the room.

The other way to do this is to use an Radiance meter (measures the radiated power from the screen and not the light from the screen) and measure each primary in turn. Each value should be identical. Very few people can use this method because of the cost of this piece of measuring equipment.

Is that the peice of gear with the "CYBERDYNE" logo on it?

The coloured filters I was referring to are the ones provided with the disc.

Yes, and they are the ones said to be not accurate.

Edited by MarkTecher

• 3 months later...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Why is this unclear, debated and not very interesting or informative thread a sticky????

Anyone??????

J

It was started with the best intentions, just was challenged and then went off course.

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue I have found with my Projector.

I have noticed the image is not very sharp in the centre of the projected image and when I attempt to use the manual focus dial on the projector to tighten up the sharpness the upper or lower parts of the projection becomes blurry...

I noticed on the lense that there is a clouded section in the centre part and suspect this could be burnt.

is there a way to attempt to fix this without getting a new lense for the machine?

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue I have found with my Projector.

I have noticed the image is not very sharp in the centre of the projected image and when I attempt to use the manual focus dial on the projector to tighten up the sharpness the upper or lower parts of the projection becomes blurry...

I noticed on the lense that there is a clouded section in the centre part and suspect this could be burnt.

is there a way to attempt to fix this without getting a new lense for the machine?

Thanks

What projector have you got? If it still under warranty, sometimes you may get a lens replacement. Many sub $10K projectors suffer from non uniform focus and sometimes it is a bad lens, but often the entire line have the same fault. If your seeing softer parts of the picture and you can have the unit repaired or replaced, then do so. If not, then you need to choose what is more important to you - a sharp centre or sharp edges.

The BenQ projectors seem to have a focus difference between left and right sides of the image, so you can have a sharp left to centre or a sharp right to centre but not both at the same time. On actual video, it is not noticeable, but frustrating when viewing a test pattern or text.

Thanks Mark,

I have a Benq MP515 DLP Projector. now 2 years old, on it's second bulb... So do you think this is a design flaw with the focus from Benq?

I was actually looking into upgrading to a Benq MX511 - 3D ready projector because it has HDMI input to try and get clearer text, but I'm not sure if this machine would have the same issue with focus and I can not find any reviews on this product.

Has anybody used the Disney WOW disc to help calibrate their projectors?

Pros? Cons?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

709, have only used for checking white purity.

with friend helping me with calibration we used spears and munsil for brightness, contrast and sharpness. and pj was spot on on default settings. rest of calibration was with curt palm software which came with his meter.

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1326183945' post='1772008]

709, have only used for checking white purity.

with friend helping me with calibration we used spears and munsil for brightness, contrast and sharpness. and pj was spot on on default settings. rest of calibration was with curt palm software which came with his meter.

Thanks for that.

After fiddling around today and doing side by side comparisons with my old (Sanyo Z2000) PJ, and noticing that the whites on the Pana 7000 seemed slightly bluish in comparison, I am inspired to spin up the "wow" disc, and take it through it's paces.

I easily removed the slightly bluish tint, but there is such a multitude of settings and combinations, I thought that I should check out somebody else's math!

Thanks Mark,

I have a Benq MP515 DLP Projector. now 2 years old, on it's second bulb... So do you think this is a design flaw with the focus from Benq?

Sadly yes. If you look at the history of the BenQ projectors going back to 8720 (720P) the units were expensive with full electric zoom and focus and really good optics. As they progressed to 1080, the cost was still high and allot of that cost was the optics used in the units at the time of W9000 and W10000. Suddenly the W5000 and W20000 are released at half the retial price iof the previous models. How? They lost some of the electronics (zoom/focus went manual) and they changed to cheaper lenses. The PQ dropped as a result, but their sales went through the roof because they could now offer an affordable 1080 DLP.

I was actually looking into upgrading to a Benq MX511 - 3D ready projector because it has HDMI input to try and get clearer text, but I'm not sure if this machine would have the same issue with focus and I can not find any reviews on this product.

Even auditioning the projector yourself is no guarentee that the projector you buy will have a good lens. I would still be using my older W5000 had it not developed a case of the dreaded vertical stripes. I now own a W6000. The W5000 I had was sharp, but the lens has a scratch on it that (program pending) was visible on screen. I didn't exchange it simply because i was more concerned with getting a worse replacement. I helped a forum member get his W5000 lens changed out unnder warranrty because it just would not focus any near as good as mine.

Has anybody used the Disney WOW disc to help calibrate their projectors?

Pros? Cons?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

There are some good patterns on this disc and the disc is worth owning. The point they make to set their disc apart from everone elses is the "level flash" where the producers claim (I got to meet one at CEDIA 2010) is to prevent "eye retention" where when looking at a static pattern one may lose the sense of where the level began when makinng the brightness/contrast adjustments. The pattern will randomly "flash" at full intensity to show the difference between what you have set it at and where it was. I found it a bit distracting. The levels seem to be the same as those on the THX Calibrator disc which is really good if you can find one.

Sadly yes. If you look at the history of the BenQ projectors going back to 8720 (720P) the units were expensive with full electric zoom and focus and really good optics. As they progressed to 1080, the cost was still high and allot of that cost was the optics used in the units at the time of W9000 and W10000. Suddenly the W5000 and W20000 are released at half the retial price iof the previous models. How? They lost some of the electronics (zoom/focus went manual) and they changed to cheaper lenses. The PQ dropped as a result, but their sales went through the roof because they could now offer an affordable 1080 DLP.

Even auditioning the projector yourself is no guarentee that the projector you buy will have a good lens. I would still be using my older W5000 had it not developed a case of the dreaded vertical stripes. I now own a W6000. The W5000 I had was sharp, but the lens has a scratch on it that (program pending) was visible on screen. I didn't exchange it simply because i was more concerned with getting a worse replacement. I helped a forum member get his W5000 lens changed out unnder warranrty because it just would not focus any near as good as mine.

Thanks Mark,

RE: Benq W6000, I would love to get my hands on one of these, it's features look amazing but I'm kind of not sold on the lamp life of 3000 hrs on Eco mode at a cost of $450 - $500 for the bulb, why is the bulb so costly when it's only 2500 lumens... *stares* ...If mankind was at the point where we could revolutionise the humble bulb it would be more economical.

...So can I put the question out there instead of trawling the internet looking at reviews.... I challege you all with this this question!!

What is the best projector on the market that has the following?

1. Unit cost is under $1000

2. has HDMI / VGA connections

3. provides sharp text on the "whole" screen via a PC connection

4. has a lamp replacement cost under $300

5. has a lamp life of around 4000 - 6000 hrs

Could this be like trying to find the perfect man or woman? ...There's too many shonky Projectors out there.

...So can I put the question out there instead of trawling the internet looking at reviews.... I challege you all with this this question!!

What is the best projector on the market that has the following?

1. Unit cost is under $1000

2. has HDMI / VGA connections

3. provides sharp text on the "whole" screen via a PC connection

4. has a lamp replacement cost under $300

5. has a lamp life of around 4000 - 6000 hrs

Could this be like trying to find the perfect man or woman? ...There's too many shonky Projectors out there.

Add a few 0s to that figure and you have all of the above and more.

For less than a grand, have a look at BenQ's W1060 1080 DLP. AFAIK, these use the same 0.65" chip that the W6000 uses. For what you pay, you get a pretty good image.

Edited by MarkTecher

Thanks for that.

After fiddling around today and doing side by side comparisons with my old (Sanyo Z2000) PJ, and noticing that the whites on the Pana 7000 seemed slightly bluish in comparison, I am inspired to spin up the "wow" disc, and take it through it's paces.

I easily removed the slightly bluish tint, but there is such a multitude of settings and combinations, I thought that I should check out somebody else's math!

I have the WOW disc on the way from amazon as I heard it was easier to use than DVE or had a few more features.

I think it is region A, so I will have to shove it in my el cheapo allure region free blu ray player.

I know it will only give basic calibration and nothing beats an expert like Mark with all their ISF dark arts :)

I have the WOW disc on the way from amazon as I heard it was easier to use than DVE or had a few more features.

I think it is region A, so I will have to shove it in my el cheapo allure region free blu ray player.

I know it will only give basic calibration and nothing beats an expert like Mark with all their ISF dark arts :)

I acquired my copy at CEDIA 2010 a few months before the official release date. The disc I have is region free. I don't see why they all are not the same.

I tried mine out today.

As you say, it's extremely easy to use, though after doing the "purity" tests, I used the chapter skip button on the Oppo and it put it into some wierd mode where there were vertical signal noise bands that wouldn't disappear.

I had to turn off the player and start again :hmm:

I am happy with the results, though I have only calibrated it in rec709 mode.

Need to try the others now.