Sign in to follow this  
t10001503559603

Xbox Hdmi Vs. Component

Hi there all.

I am thinking about selling off my older 360 in favour or purchasing a newer model with HDMI. I plan to run HDMI video to my Pio 608LX plasma and leave the audio as optical to my amp.

Two questions:

1. Is there noticable/tangible quality jump upgrading from component to HDMI (bearing in mind I'm running it to a high quality panel)

2. Can I leave the optical to my AMP for audio, or does the 360 do something funky like demand that you run both audio and video from the 360 if you opt for a HDMI connection ? (I can't run HDMI into my panel because it doesn't pass through to the optical output from my panel to my AMP).

Cheers

Short answer is no.

HDMI is roughly on par with component for PQ. Depnding on the rig and show, etc. some can find component looks better, while in other instances the HDMI will.

If you're looking to get some equipment and have a choice between the two then I'd say go with HDMI. However I wouldn't be upgrading any rig mainly to go from component to HDMI.

I believe you can attach any HDMI cable into a DVI cable so if worst comes to worst you can sent the sound one way and the video another using this option.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS This assumes the XBox doesn't do anything strange like offer better resolutions ONLY on HDMI (which I don't think it does).

Short answer is no.

HDMI is roughly on par with component for PQ. Depnding on the rig and show, etc. some can find component looks better, while in other instances the HDMI will.

If you're looking to get some equipment and have a choice between the two then I'd say go with HDMI. However I wouldn't be upgrading any rig mainly to go from component to HDMI.

I believe you can attach any HDMI cable into a DVI cable so if worst comes to worst you can sent the sound one way and the video another using this option.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS This assumes the XBox doesn't do anything strange like offer better resolutions ONLY on HDMI (which I don't think it does).

I think on paper the only difference in resolution is that HDMI will output 1080p whereas the component models can only output up to 1080i. I suspect most games still run 720p anyway so not sure if I'm just wasting my money or not.

I think on paper the only difference in resolution is that HDMI will output 1080p whereas the component models can only output up to 1080i. I suspect most games still run 720p anyway so not sure if I'm just wasting my money or not.

Probably.

Apart from the 1080i vs 1080p, I personally cannot see a difference.

Probably.

360's can and do output 1080p over component. Mine is doing it now.

The issue is that not all tvs accept 1080p over component, you would need to read the manual for that.

I haven't done a side-by-side test, but to my eyes, DVDs look better through HDMI on the Xbox. Otherwise not much difference...

360's can and do output 1080p over component. Mine is doing it now.

The issue is that not all tvs accept 1080p over component, you would need to read the manual for that.

I guess my point was that I cannot see a difference between HDMI and Component.

The only times I can see a difference between 1080i and 1080p is when there is text on the screen. Then the latter is obviously better.

I haven't done a side-by-side test, but to my eyes, DVDs look better through HDMI on the Xbox. Otherwise not much difference...

DVD's dont upscale over component, so it'll only output 576p, whereas HDMI will give upscaling to either 1080i or p (not sure which, running a pre-hdmi xbox)

1. Is there noticable/tangible quality jump upgrading from component to HDMI (bearing in mind I'm running it to a high quality panel)

I switched from 1080p Component to HDMI. On Component, my TV supported it, but every now and again the TV would drop picture and resync - usually at a really inopportune time while gaming. :D

By their nature, Component is lossy, and HDMI is lossless, so HDMI will give better quality. Whether it's visibly different is in the eye of the beholder (and the quality of your TV).

HDMI does seem to have some funky sync stuff that seems to take longer for the TV to come back with a picture when inputs or modes are changed.

2. Can I leave the optical to my AMP for audio, or does the 360 do something funky like demand that you run both audio and video from the 360 if you opt for a HDMI connection ? (I can't run HDMI into my panel because it doesn't pass through to the optical output from my panel to my AMP).

I used to use HDMI for video, and Optical Digital for audio. There's a few issues if you use an existing Component cable to get the Optical connector, though, since the HDMI plug is too close to the fat Component/Optical connector.

There's 2 solutions:

1) Pay Microsoft Tax for their custom HDMI Cable (comes with the Elite as standard, I think?), which provides both HDMI and Digital Audio connectors

2) Attack a Component cable with a screwdriver to pop half the case off so everything fits, and live with the fact that if you switch your TV away from the HDMI and back again, the 360 will reboot (See: http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50)

Probably.

And to most people, you can't see the difference between those two either - especially when most games don't do native 1080p

It may be better to keep your XBox and use the money towards buying a PS3.

It may be better to keep your XBox and use the money towards buying a PS3.

I had a PS3 as a BR player. Hated everything about it.

I just have component on a 50 inch plasma and its beautiful, hard to imagine it could get better with hdmi, even though mine is hdmi capable.

make sure you dont mix up composite and component , composite is a joke

hdmi will give a sharper picture, component isnt a digital signal so you lose b/w box and tv.

Only a few differences, most have mentioned here:

HDMI

- Games up to 1080p

- DVD up to 1080p

- Can use either optical or HDMI for audio

- Opens expanded video options for picture correction (originally to correct VGA washed out look on current TVs)

Component:

- Games up to 1080p

- DVD restricted to 576p, no Upscale

- Need to use Optical cable for DD/DTS audio

VGA:

- Games up to 1080p

- DVD up to 1080p

- Need to use Optical cable for DD/DTS audio

- Opens expanded video options for picture correction (originally to correct VGA washed out look on current TVs)

In short, if you have a HDMI 360 and a spare HDMI port there is no reason not to use it... As for Component, for games at least it offers almost the same picture quality. I know on my projector HDMI is just slightly sharper but its negligible, on my other TVs its identical no matter which you choose.

If you're using your 360 for DVDs though look at either HDMI or VGA simply because they upscale as well.

The MS HDMI 'cable' is actually a standard HDMI cable that is bundled with a seperate dongle that plugs into the usual AV output on the console and provides stereo and optical output. it has a slimmer connector so that it doesnt foul the HDMI input.

alternatively, you can just crack the plastic casing off the standard component cable, hack the cables off and use that, but for the sake of neatness i purchased the MS dongle/cable.

And I can see no visible difference between VGA and HDMI. Component (in my experience) seemed to be a lot darker, appearing 'burnt' a bit, but that may be because it was running on a component input i hadnt calibrated to my tastes yet.

after having done the change just yesterday i am going to say that i noticed a slight improvement using hdmi over component. im sure it is going to change between tv's but far cry 2 does look that little bit sharper to me on the philips (same resolution, 1080i).

the biggest improvement however is the sound, but this will have no bearing for you as you are using optical. this may also just be due to my tv, but who knows.

in summary, for the ~$100 upgrade price it probably isn't worth it for the pq improvements, but my old xbox died anyway so i had to do it.