Sign in to follow this  
Drizt

Samsung Ps58b550

any other advantages going to the 680 over the 560... I've just changed mine to the 560.

Not sure really. I was just greedy and wanted the best system available, so to me that meant the highest model.

I also tried changing to the B850 model, but found that the sound went all soft. I think that might have been because the 850 models have more/better speakers.

NOTE: going into the service menu resets all your picture settings. So make sure you note them down before you do this.

Just got mine yesterday also... fantastic tv and an absolute bargain $2680 delivered with extra 3 years warranty (4years total). Have yet to try the cinema smooth 'tweak' but will report back with results when I do.

I got mine from Retravision, they're yet to send me the bill but they said about $3600 since the bonus promo has finished. I didn't get an extended warranty though.

I'm not sure if the 'tweak' actually makes any difference on the Australian models but I'm happy the way mine is.

I had to turn the contrast right down though, it was at 95 when I got it! I left the tennis on for 2mins and there was a score card ghost left behind :o So I put it down to 54 and it seems fine now.

Just changed mine to the 680 too... it now plays avi files via usb!

Interesting. Does Cinema Smooth make any difference to blu rays or do you actually have to have the proper 680?

Will have to do a bit more research.. no noticeable difference with it turned on, but will do some more testing on heavy 'panning' scenes or credits.

Did a bit more testing, Cinema Smooth does make a difference, just not a very dramatic one. I must say, I am very impressed with the unit overall and for the money I'd highly recommend it. Worth checking out for those that felt a 58 inch was out of their price range.

$2680 delivered with extra 3 years warranty (4years total).

-

Hi mate,

Where did you buy the TV from for that price ??

Cheers

Hey guys,

Is someone able to confirm something for me please. I'm looking at three Sammy's: 58B550, 50B550 or 50B650.

I've read the above tweak, and believevalue for moneyth 58B550 will be the best buy given I will be able to get it to play movie files via USB and also get the cinema smooth.

My questions are, do the Sammy's have full 1080 lines of motion unlike the 54S10 Panna that only has 900 lines of actual motion out of 1080.

And also does this mean with the "tweak" that I would be able to connect an external Hard Drive with Avi movies on it and use it like a media player - this will save me having to look for a Bluray player with USB to play divx etc....

Thanks

And also does this mean with the "tweak" that I would be able to connect an external Hard Drive with Avi movies on it and use it like a media player - this will save me having to look for a Bluray player with USB to play divx etc....

It sounds like the tweak will allow you to play divx off any usb device like a media player as this is what the B650/850 are supposed to do. I too would like confirmation of this and was thinking of going into a store and trying myself - dont fancy my chances of them letting me into the service menu hey!

My questions are, do the Sammy's have full 1080 lines of motion unlike the 54S10 Panna that only has 900 lines of actual motion out of 1080.

Other than PC generated test patterns there is no such thing as 1080 video with 1080 lines of resolution with still images let alone moving, digital video systems don’t work the way most people expect.

Cinema film cameras typically run at low shutter speeds so any significant motion results in blur with resolution dropping well under 500 lines, and HD video cameras used for sports won’t be much better even before video compression has taken its toll and trashed what resolution did exist.

Lines of motion resolution is mainly marketing hype and means nothing in practice.

Amazing... it plays mkv files... they play beautifully through a 320gb WD passport. This TV just keeps getting better! On a few of the files it comes up as audio codec not supported but the image plays..... **scurries off to find a workaround**.

Did a bit more testing, Cinema Smooth does make a difference, just not a very dramatic one. I must say, I am very impressed with the unit overall and for the money I'd highly recommend it. Worth checking out for those that felt a 58 inch was out of their price range.

interesting. what are the real benefits of the 58A650 vs. 58B550?

Edited by grb

interesting. what are the real benefits of the 58A650 vs. 58B550?

Movie playback via usb (I think this is a massive plus) as opposed to just music and pictures and of course Cinema Smooth.

Movie playback via usb (I think this is a massive plus) as opposed to just music and pictures and of course Cinema Smooth.

Cinema Smooth is 96Hz playback of 24p material, yes?

if the series 5 doesn't do this, then that's reason enough for me to only look at the series 6.

The 'tweak' on the 5 series effectively turns it into a 6 series though (or should I say 'gives it the same features as a 6 series').

Excellent news Sean, thanks for confirming,even better that it plays .mkv's also. I have a 400 GB WD full of.avi and .mkv movies. So a 58B550 tweaked will be the answer.

One further question, is it best to tweak to a 650 as someoneon here mentioned that 850 gave a softer sound out of onboard speakers - what are the additional benenfits 850 has over 650 that would be unlocked ??

Cheers

Other than PC generated test patterns there is no such thing as 1080 video with 1080 lines of resolution with still images let alone moving, digital video systems don’t work the way most people expect.

Cinema film cameras typically run at low shutter speeds so any significant motion results in blur with resolution dropping well under 500 lines, and HD video cameras used for sports won’t be much better even before video compression has taken its toll and trashed what resolution did exist.

Lines of motion resolution is mainly marketing hype and means nothing in practice.

-

Hi Owen,

Thanks for coming back to me on this, so from reading your reply, is it even worth getting a Full HD TV then with 1080 lines ??? would a 768 TV playing back 720p stuff be any noticable difference to the human eye ?? What would Bluray play back like on a 768 TV ??

Cheers

Thanks for coming back to me on this, so from reading your reply, is it even worth getting a Full HD TV then with 1080 lines ??? would a 768 TV playing back 720p stuff be any noticable difference to the human eye ?? What would Bluray play back like on a 768 TV ??

My 2c for what its worth - The theory should indicate that 720p would be the same no matter what the source (even BD) because unless you are closer than say 2.2m from the screen you cant resolve the extra resolution with your 20/20 vision. In practice though, I have found that the PQ of my Pana G10 to be much better on FTA than my mates Pana X10. With BD sources I am hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. This may have more to do with the scaler or tuner in the X10 than the PDP panel and resolution though?

Edited by Bertzz

Bing Lee have it advertised for $2,588 in Sydney.

Man I would love this set, but it will take up my entire wall and I will have to move my wall plate up higher. :o:(

-

Hi Owen,

Cheers

It all comes down to viewing distance relative to screen size. If you cant see the pixel structure on a 768 display at your viewing distance more pixels is not going to give you more visible resolution because your eyes are the limitation.

Bluray looks great on 768 displays, a 1080 display will only look clearer if you sit very close.

The “quality” of the display is more important than the number of pixels.

For anyone interested in the 58 or 50 B550, he also provides some pictures adjustment figues:

http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/pla...550-review.html

Cheers

Thanks NormanD.

I just purchased the 58 B550 and I can't believe how the prices have dropped. When I purchased a SD 42" Panasonic plasma with no digital receiver around 3 years ago it was around $2000 so to now get a modern Full HD 58" plasma for $2400 is amazing.

How close is too close for a 58" tv, i was thinking about getting one but it will be about 1-2m away from where i sit in my room, i that too close, i have a 40" there at the moment, its ok not too big not too small, how would a 58 go?