Samsung Ps58b550

My search is finally over! :P HN came through for me in the end for $2300!

The only catch is I have to wait for the next batch of TV's to come from Samsung, scheduled for the 2nd week of march. Although they expect them usually a week of so earlier as Samsung are supposed to be pretty quick at sending things out.

I don't mind the wait because it will mean I have a good 2 weeks to build and paint the www.theloudspeakerkit.com.au speakers that are on the way :lol: and organise other cables, wall bracket and some kind of cabinet to keep the hardware off the floor. :)

Thanks for the help (and gentle peer pressure) guys!

Well done okisub; excellent price and excellent TV.

It's interesting that a manufacturer would import more old model TV's when they are heavily discounting to get rid of Australian stock. I can only assume they are "dumping" their excess stock from Malaysia which is good for the current consumer.

Edited by harryh

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walked into HN Joondalup perth last night. Store price was $2890.00

Asked if they can match $2400.00. He came back an told me he could go better and quoted me $2260.00 and $40 bucks delivery.

$2,300.00 delivered to my door tomorrow. I mentioned the buzz word. He assured me it won't have this problem and for piece of mind threw in 2 years warranty.

I was in and out in less than 10 mins.

Well done wullie. You made the purchase sound so easy

No offence taken. I dont really think I am a pessimist (in this case :)). I was prepared to take the risk at that price ($2300). I think there is a risk with any electronics purchase. I prefer to have at least 1 year on top of standard warranty because of this. But I dont usually go for the 5 year warranty deal. If I was a pessimist I would. In this case its a matter of a known issue. So everyone is buying hoping it isnt going to affect theirs. But there is a chance it will and I am just trying to get a picture of what my situation would be if it happened to me. It would be easy to return locally. But the hastle of freighting it back to interstate and the rest that goes with this is off putting.

By the way, I couldnt find one in Perth so far. Myer couldnt price match. They told me the lowest price was $3000. But I think I saw on their printout that their cost was $27xx. Well done to all that got it at $2300. I have all but given up on this one now.

I am thinking at spending a bit more and getting the series 8, if I can get it for under $3500. I am about to turn my attention to searching for a price match receipt for that :)

Myer seem to be non competitive with this TV. Some weeks ago I had a long discussion with a Myer electrical dept. manager and she really wanted my business but couldn't come near what I was quoted. I was quoted $2400 by JB and HN but the best Myer could offer was $3200. She said she couldn't believe how quickly prices have dropped but couldn't match the $2400 until she talked with Myer HQ and would call me back if Myer can match. I didn't receive a call and I purchased elsewhere.

Myer seem to be non competitive with this TV. Some weeks ago I had a long discussion with a Myer electrical dept. manager and she really wanted my business but couldn't come near what I was quoted. I was quoted $2400 by JB and HN but the best Myer could offer was $3200. She said she couldn't believe how quickly prices have dropped but couldn't match the $2400 until she talked with Myer HQ and would call me back if Myer can match. I didn't receive a call and I purchased elsewhere.

For a store not to do price matching is fair enough. But Myer Carousel at least has A4 pages plastered all over the store bragging about how they price match. (They condition that it must be above their cost price). Common, seriously you expect me to believe that Myer one of the biggest retailers in the country cant get the same cost price as JB HI FI, Harvey Norman and others. I think its dishonest. If they they dont want to price match, ok. But dont be misleading.

Anyway, I will see if the above mentioned HN has any tomorrow. There is hope again :)

Yes it is a long time to wait for a replacement tv, i have been on the phone to samsung which took about one hour waiting and they have said that the next delivery will be mid march and the next will be the new 3d models .

So all i can do is wait

Not very good from samsung that you have to wait so long for a replacement tv , one can only hope that they have enough plasmas to cover replacement warranty in there last shipment .

A bit of a worry for those that are getting the last shipment

Junkmail,

That stinks. So does that mean Retravision (Australia wide) are completely out of stock, not one store / warehouse has one? I hope they really tried for you. If HN & JB is low and the Samsung warehouse doesn’t have any then it sounds like this model is just about “sold out”; the only stock is sitting in some store warehouses or on the shop floor display.

I hope the replacement turns up sooner than later Junkmail (its worth waiting for isnt it :) )

Hello harryh

I think it is worth waiting for

Hi Drizt

I have been trying to decide b/w Panasonic and Samsung. Am I right in thinking you do not consider the PQ of the 650B significantly better than 550B?

Do you have any thoughts on how the 550B 50" compares to the Pana 50 G10A?

Thanks

Officially bought this tv today from HN Nunawading (VIC). They had no more stock in a box, but are sending it from another store in regional Victoria! All up $2300 + $48 delivery.

Very happy with this! Got them to send on friday, gonna be a long wait!

Nice work mate.. Did you see Darren ? I'm going to see him tomorrow.

Nice work mate.. Did you see Darren ? I'm going to see him tomorrow.

Nope, spoke to Brendan and David, both very happy to match $2300, and explained that my tv might be coming from mildura B):D

Either way i'm happy i've managed to secure it considering how few there are left! spent a few worried nights til i could get there with the dosh!

Walked into HN Joondalup perth last night. Store price was $2890.00

Asked if they can match $2400.00. He came back an told me he could go better and quoted me $2260.00 and $40 bucks delivery.

$2,300.00 delivered to my door tomorrow. I mentioned the buzz word. He assured me it won't have this problem and for piece of mind threw in 2 years warranty.

I was in and out in less than 10 mins.

I called HN Joondalup over the phone (bit far to go for a rejection). Tried to see if I could get the same deal. They denied they gave out a deal like that :(. I guess you have to go in person and be a good negotiator or get lucky with the sales man. Would love to get a copy of your receipt wullie? Might have better luck taking that in, in person.

Hi Drizt

I have been trying to decide b/w Panasonic and Samsung. Am I right in thinking you do not consider the PQ of the 650B significantly better than 550B?

Do you have any thoughts on how the 550B 50" compares to the Pana 50 G10A?

Thanks

I have only the seen my 50" Samsung 650B and a 50" Panasonic V in home environments. The other models I have only seen in stores, so can only go by what I have seen in each venue. Results might vary under different conditions.

I would take the V over my Samsung any day. Just my opinion. But given the extra size of the 58" 550 it would be hard to choose the smaller panasonic over it. I think the 650 is marginally better than the 550 but under normal home lighting conditions (more controlled than in a store) there isn't much in it.

I called HN Joondalup over the phone (bit far to go for a rejection). Tried to see if I could get the same deal. They denied they gave out a deal like that :(. I guess you have to go in person and be a good negotiator or get lucky with the sales man. Would love to get a copy of your receipt wullie? Might have better luck taking that in, in person.

Maybe I just struck lucky. Best to go into a store late in the day. I went in at 7:30pm. Told them I was in a hurry, had done my homework and told them the Max price I was prepared to pay. Must admit I got a shock when the went lower than what I offered! They must have had a good days trading. Got the TV delivered 2 days later and I just love it. This is my 3rd Plasma. I have a sony and a kuro. Doesn't quite match the kuro blacks, but the colours are outstanding. I'll email you a copy of the reciept.

wullie

Maybe I just struck lucky. Best to go into a store late in the day. I went in at 7:30pm. Told them I was in a hurry, had done my homework and told them the Max price I was prepared to pay. Must admit I got a shock when the went lower than what I offered! They must have had a good days trading. Got the TV delivered 2 days later and I just love it. This is my 3rd Plasma. I have a sony and a kuro. Doesn't quite match the kuro blacks, but the colours are outstanding. I'll email you a copy of the reciept.

wullie

Thanks. I just hope I have more luck tomorrow. I sent you my email address just now. I saw it in Myer on display. I am sure it wasnt calibrated properly, but it still looked pretty darn good to me.

I can't get my B550 50" Full HD (5 series) Plasma working with the tweak. The enable video option is faded (you can't select on or off)

-

Hi mate,

Re-read the tweak details and go over to the other 58B550 thread I started with links to other forums that discuss the tweak. Not sure on "video option", you shouldn't have to touch anything else other than the model number.

This is what I used, use at your own risk:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd...layback-60.html

4.)enter in service meni while tv is off (in 4sec press:INFO,MENU,MUTE and POWER)

5.)enter - Control option

6.)enter - sub option

(these options are being changed with left and right arrow from moddle button "enter" on the remote control,

return to sub options is the button "return")

7.)In sub options you should change the following options:

Wiselink Movie -- ON

Wiselink Write -- ON

"Wiselink WithOut DB" -- "With DB" (this dont forget like I did!!)

High Dev -- ON

8.)When the sub option look like this, you may turn off the tv

when you turn on the tv, after this you have option to enter:usb, media player, movie.

Have you connected a powered external HDD with a .avi movie on it and tried it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....p;highlight=560

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=86443

Cheers

BB

Edited by BusterB

Getting this tv is like hunting a rare and endangered animal lol.. I'm trying to close a deal today.. It's been hard work .. I was on the phone all morning and chasing this all weekend. I almost brought a 54s10 yesterday but after watching the 550 for a while(display model) I just have to have one.. I'd pay 3k if I had to. No worrys.

Is there much difference (performance wise) between this one and the Series 8 50", apart from the additional/missing 8 inches?

to my eye.. And from comparing them side by side the 8 just looks a bit brighter that's all.. But obviously that can be changed with calibration anyway.. In my opinion the 5 is a lot better value and the 8 isn't worth the extra.. You really need to view both for yourself though. in saying that though the 5 is now dicountined so yeah.. Slim pickings

Is there much difference (performance wise) between this one and the Series 8 50", apart from the additional/missing 8 inches?

-

Hi Nova,

I watched my first bluray (Teminator Salvation) on this TV (58B550) Saturday night using just the "Standard" picture setting and it was pretty damn good considering there are a lot of dark scenes. I then (when the wife had gone to bed LMAO) watched the beginning of the movie again, but this time was using some of the posted settings, superb PQ in my opinion.

To my mind it just doesn't warrant spending all the extra money for the higher end series, I'd rather put that money towards a bluray player or a receiver to benefit from the PQ or sound whilst watching a bluray.

From what I read, there are more 58B550's coming second week of March, might be worthwhile wording up one of the sales guys at JB's that you are interested.

My 2 cents though

HSV, who is your nearest JB's..

BB

I am moving houses so dont want to buy the screen yet for another 4 weeks so with the stock shortages and screen being discontinued, I have been struggling to find a store that will hold it for me for next 4 weeks with only a 10% deposit.

luckily, streamaster was kind of enough to offer this , at a slightly higher price ... ended up paying $2850 including delivery and 2 extra years warranty. Few hundred more but paying for convenience :) so pretty happy ...

now I cant wait to move houses !