Samsung Ps58b550

I had noticed with the samsung screensaver going you could see what I had perceived to be temporary 'burn in' marks of the samsung logo as it bounced around the screen, you could see where the logo had been previously with the black background.

When I changed it to tv mode everything seemed ok, is this normal behaviour for plasma tv's?

Yup, unless it's still there after a couple of hours it's just temporary image retention and normal. Unless it's a big area (like the black bars after watching a letterboxed movie) you won't notice it unless the screen is blank.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys I just thought I would post this 'issue' to see if other PS58B550 owners have had a similar occurrences.

When I first purchased the tv (2nd hand - 6 months old) the tv wouldn't turn on when I powered it up for the 1st time. It wouldn't respond to the remote or side panels buttons. After 10 minutes or so it responded to the tv remote and fired up.

I recently have moved, and upon firing it up for the first time I had the same problem. I noticed in the bottom right hand corner the infra red amber light was flashing. This continued on for approx 20 mins and then finally the tv would respond with the remote.

Is this problem normal?

Hi guys I just thought I would post this 'issue' to see if other PS58B550 owners have had a similar occurrences.

When I first purchased the tv (2nd hand - 6 months old) the tv wouldn't turn on when I powered it up for the 1st time. It wouldn't respond to the remote or side panels buttons. After 10 minutes or so it responded to the tv remote and fired up.

I recently have moved, and upon firing it up for the first time I had the same problem. I noticed in the bottom right hand corner the infra red amber light was flashing. This continued on for approx 20 mins and then finally the tv would respond with the remote.

Is this problem normal?

Haven't come across or heard of that problem so certainly not normal IMO.

Any idea whether you're covered by the manufacturer's warranty, being second-hand but within 12 months of original purchase?

Is this problem normal?

Hey Dr Jekl,

No flicker on mine. but when ( http://icure.com.au/ ) replaced my main board, they also changed the on/off swicth as part of the process.

Well the other night the tv turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on.

I isolated the power for ten minutes and switched it back on, and the tv fired up, but once again wouldn't respond to the remote, or the buttons on the side panel, and the red light flashed for over an hour before I gave up and isolated the power :(

Looks like I shall be visiting a samsung repair centre this weekend :(

Just a quick question guys, I had upgraded my tv to the B680 option in the service menu, so that I can get video playback via the usb port surely this couldn't void my warranty could it?

This also wouldn't happen to be the cause of my tv not powering up when attempting to switch it on?

Edited by DR-JEKL

Just a quick question guys, I had upgraded my tv to the B680 option in the service menu, so that I can get video playback via the usb port surely this couldn't void my warranty could it?

This also wouldn't happen to be the cause of my tv not powering up when attempting to switch it on?

I don't believe it is the cause, but you will need to change it back to B550 before getting it looked at.

Nah mate, I have not installed the update yet.

It only started doing it the last two days.

Ah, ok. Sounds like a warranty job perhaps... my set was turning on and off during the night like DR-JEKL's - I guess that was the auto-update feature. It's isolated from power now when not in use so not happening any more ;)

Has anyone gone ahead with the update yet? I might be the guinea pig... guess it would be advisable to undo the model number tweak prior to updating?

Ah, ok. Sounds like a warranty job perhaps... my set was turning on and off during the night like DR-JEKL's - I guess that was the auto-update feature. It's isolated from power now when not in use so not happening any more ;)

Has anyone gone ahead with the update yet? I might be the guinea pig... guess it would be advisable to undo the model number tweak prior to updating?

Re my set turning on and off, it was the auto feature in the beginning, but now it does it whilst watching TV. :unsure:

Re Firmware, I'm not sure if it is new firmware as my display has 2001.1 Samsung may have just updated their site hence the 06/10/10 release date.

Hey all, long time no posteee Struggo LOL..

Nup, my TV isn't switching itself off on it's own - not yet anyway...hopefully it won't. If you get it sorted out let us know what the cause was.

Cheers

BB

Hey BB,

Found the cause of the TV switching itself off & on its own, faulty logitech remote.

Well at least I think so :P

So far, so good :ninja:

Well my TV has been fixed under warranty, they did find a 'fault' with the tv after running a few tests and I should receive it early next week after waiting 2 weeks! (Why cant Samsung be like Lexus, I like having a loan vehicle whilst my car is getting repaired a loan tv would be nice also!)

Hopefully they will let me know exactly what the problem was next week when i receive it!

so why are you guys so coy about installing the new firmware? Can't you re-install the original firmware if you don't like it?