Samsung Ps58b550

Sorry mate :P

Tried to pick it up with the misses last night, it was too heavy for her :o:lol:

BUZZ or HUM?????

Fired mine up this morning and it's has a slight buzz/humm when I place my ear towards the back (sound muted) and/or if I stand around a meter from the set.

*Not noticaeble when sitting down.

*It is louder than my Hitachi 42".

Is this humm or buzz? I believe it is just the plasma hum which may be louder than my hitachi due to panel size.

Thoughts?

-

Yeah, meant to say earlier, when I was checking some very very faint lines on my screen I was aware of a very slight buzz, anything more than two feet away from the screen with sound muted and I can't hear it, so I'll leave it there.

Yeah, my wife nearly dropped it last weekend when we were trying to get it up onto the lowline, got a neighbour instead LOL...

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-

Yeah, meant to say earlier, when I was checking some very very faint lines on my screen I was aware of a very slight buzz, anything more than two feet away from the screen with sound muted and I can't hear it, so I'll leave it there.

Yeah, my wife nearly dropped it last weekend when we were trying to get it up onto the lowline, got a neighbour instead LOL...

I know what you mean, needed my neighbour to help lift the bloody thing in the end, :o:lol:

PS58B550 now wall mounted, http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/S...fter-B58550.jpg

Luving the PS58B550 :wub:

Edited by Struggo

I know what you mean, needed my neighbor to help lift the bloody thing in the end, :o:lol:

PS58B550 now wall mounted, http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/S...fter-B58550.jpg

Luving the PS58B550 :wub:

Holy crap that looks great Struggo, how thick is the wall mount you used and can you tell me the total distance the tv sits from the wall?

Yours is looking pretty nice and snug compared to what they look like on the shop walls.

I've been tossing up between one of these 58" guys or a flat 46" LED -both are around the same price and keep being told my 'experts' that plasma is still no good for long sessions of 360 gaming...

I've been tossing up between one of these 58" guys or a flat 46" LED -both are around the same price and keep being told my 'experts' that plasma is still no good for long sessions of 360 gaming...

Why is plasma no good for gaming ?, I am also seriously considering this TV mainly for the size and want somethng to play PS3 & 360 on as well as watch sport and movies..

Why is plasma no good for gaming ?, I am also seriously considering this TV mainly for the size and want somethng to play PS3 & 360 on as well as watch sport and movies..

Plasma is fine for gaming - BUT - it can be more susceptible to burn-in (image retention) than LCD.

If you take care not to have a menu onscreen for hours at a time - or a static background (unlikely in an FPS or driving game, for example) - then plasma has the advantages of (subjectively) better picture and a faster screen refresh.

The latter point is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the better LCDs available today, which have fast refresh rates.

The "better picture" thing is a matter of preference/taste - but many on the forums find plama more "natural" in appearance than LCD - which can look somewhat cartoon-y on SOME LCD TVs. For your sports viewing pleasure....plasma may float your boat over LCD.

Power consumption of plasmas and LCDs is fairly similar nowadays, but as general rule, plasmas put out more heat than equivalent sized LCDs.

As far as size vs price goes - you ain't gonna find an LCD of similar size for anywhere near the current asking price of the Sammy.

-

LMAO Struggo,

You copied my TV, and you copied my Klipsch Quintet 3's......

Looking good on the wall there fella.

Nice

BB

Hey BB I am currently looking for new speakers as well....read a couple of reviews of Klipsch Quintet 3 and am now heavily considering it....just wondering where you got urs from? and $$?

I have no issues and ive been playing xbox and ps3 on a panasonic Plasma for years now.. I play for long periods of time without any issues at all.

Only thing I do is if i want to leave the console going I change it over to tv or just turn the plasma off while im eating dinner or whatever.. but I play for hours on end without incident.

Holy crap that looks great Struggo, how thick is the wall mount you used and can you tell me the total distance the tv sits from the wall?

Yours is looking pretty nice and snug compared to what they look like on the shop walls.

Plasma is fine for gaming, just be careful during the run in period.

Re the wall mount, the TV sits 100mm from the wall, this includes the spaces required for the M8 screws. I prefer the greater gap for ventilation and access. I used the followig bracket as it tilts, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Email them first to ensure that they send you the M8 screw for the Samy 58".

Check out side shot, http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/S...nt=DSC00004.jpg

-

LMAO Struggo,

You copied my TV, and you copied my Klipsch Quintet 3's......

Looking good on the wall there fella.

Nice

BB

LOL, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em :D

Edited by Struggo

Hey BB I am currently looking for new speakers as well....read a couple of reviews of Klipsch Quintet 3 and am now heavily considering it....just wondering where you got urs from? and $$?

-

Hi mate,

Picked them up from Hardly Normal for $400 - a steal !!!!

BB

Plasma is fine for gaming, just be careful during the run in period.

Re the wall mount, the TV sits 100mm from the wall, this includes the spaces required for the M8 screws. I prefer the greater gap for ventilation and access. I used the followig bracket as it tilts, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Email them first to ensure that they send you the M8 screw for the Samy 58".

Check out side shot, http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/S...nt=DSC00004.jpg

LOL, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em :D

-

Selby are near me, I'll go and pick one of those puppies up at lunchtime.

I'm using the 120 image run in file from AVS, l switch off pixel shift and then change the frame change to none so that the screen gets a 1 second breather in between the bright colour images. They run overnight for around 8 hours, since Wednesday last week. I'm up to about 85/90 hours already including normal viewing.

Once I'm up to the 200 odd hours i'll let you know what picture settings I'm using, I'll try and load up an image of my set-up for, looks like similar ambient lighting / room set up.

A friend at work has a few blurays to lend me to help with the settings.

Cheers

BB

There is no need to “run in” a plasma, just turn the contrast down to a reasonable level and use the TV normally.

Owen, as we all see colour differently, I was wondering what you perceive as a reasonable amount of contrast.

Cheers

Struggo,

Even though I'm using the run in slides, I still have the Contrast and Brightness on "Standard" pictures settings wound back to 50 for the time being.

Yeah, I got the 10 inch sub included for that price, hooked up to a Pio 519 receiver for now with a Pio BDP120 bluray and yup you guessed it Foxtel IQ 480i box LMAO....

I'll be looking for another identical sub soon. If we move house, I'll use the front pair of speakers as rear surrounds and go 7.2. Great sound from compact speakers.

Incidentally, where have you got your sub placed, front corner of the room or to the side of your lowline and did you wall mount the TV yourself ??

Cheers

BB

Edited by BusterB

Well I tried every TV store in town(Toowoomba) and there are none of these 58" monsters left :(

Back to the drawing board...

-

Hey oki,

Try these:

http://www.streamaster.com.au/shop/index.p...;products_id=72

or these guys up in QLD:

http://theelectricdiscounter.com.au/asps/p...anty=4EWPPT5000

Or these, not sure if they deliver to QLD though:

http://www.thinkaudiovisual.com.au/p/10193...v-ps58b550.html

Cheers

BB

Edited by BusterB

Thanks for the online store links guys. Unfortunately theelectricdiscounter can no longer get this model and the others are still asking a bit too much (I couldn't bare to pay more than the $2300pp :P )

I realised this afternoon that I hadn't tried the local Wow store, walked in and there it was on the showroom floor *heart rate rises*. So I asked the saleswoman if they still had any in boxes and if they can match the printed out JB docket. She returns with a 'best price' of nearly $2700.

We're still without a huge TV at this stage...

I'll be looking for another identical sub soon. If we move house, I'll use the front pair of speakers as rear surrounds and go 7.2. Great sound from compact speakers.

Incidentally, where have you got your sub placed, front corner of the room or to the side of your lowline and did you wall mount the TV yourself ??

Cheers

BB

BB,

Great/Fantastic/Awesome price for the Quintet III's. I have the sub placed on the side of my lowline as I have no room in the corner.

Re the wall mount, I did it myself and used Arlec blank wall plates, http://www.arlec.com.au/display.php?pid=106 for the cabling to be run through.

I did the following,

1/ Cut a hole in the gyprock, around 50mm x 90mm from memory using a stanley knife and ruler.

2/ Install blank wall plate.

3/ Drill a large hole on the centre of the wall plate with a circular saw.

Edited by Struggo

Thanks for the online store links guys. Unfortunately theelectricdiscounter can no longer get this model and the others are still asking a bit too much (I couldn't bare to pay more than the $2300pp :P )

I realised this afternoon that I hadn't tried the local Wow store, walked in and there it was on the showroom floor *heart rate rises*. So I asked the saleswoman if they still had any in boxes and if they can match the printed out JB docket. She returns with a 'best price' of nearly $2700.

We're still without a huge TV at this stage...

$2700 thats a bit rough, cheapest online I can get is $2450 delivered.. Might have to go with that. Still a bargain for the size and quality your getting.