Samsung Ps58b550

How close is too close for a 58" tv, i was thinking about getting one but it will be about 1-2m away from where i sit in my room, i that too close, i have a 40" there at the moment, its ok not too big not too small, how would a 58 go?

I sit between 2 and 4 metres away from my 58B550. At 2 metres, the size is perfect. Not sure about 1, but I can only imagine it would be even better :)

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, great price Sean. And thanks to Alista for the fix for the TV turning itself on. That's given the Mrs a bit of fright as well.

I thought I should report that I've changed the model of my TV through the service menu. I think this might be what Sean Sheep meant by the cinema smooth 'tweak'. Just note that the instructions from AVSforum (US) to get into the service menu didn't work, but I think there are instructions from AVforums (UK) that does.

Anyway, I just changed my model to a B680 model, so now I have a prettier menu and some extra options (cinema smooth being one). Not that I noticed any difference though.

If anyone else does then please report. By the way to get into the service menu its:

TV in Standby -> "info" -> "menu" -> "mute" -> power on

Do so at your own risk by the way.

Hi,

tried this but didn't seem to work, just came on with regular tv screen picture - no menu. Any tips on how I can access the service menu? - I s it just a matter of pressing the 3 buttons when in standby and then powering it up?

Thanks

UPDATE: don't bother, managed to work it out...the remote was playing up ;)

Edited by cactisw

Appreciate the comments but I am really put off by the Panasonics after my experience with them and won't be getting another. It's either a 58B550 or wait for next years models. I am steering towards the latter after reading about this 50hz artefact problem which it looks like Samsung won't be fixing.
Know one has reported any problem with the Oz models.

So guys, is this a problem Down Under? :wacko:

They are still whinging over at AVF. :(

Edited by Struggo

Very happy with mine... still running it in though, quite frankly it was too hard to pass up for the money. Amazing to see people being offered $2400 for it.

Good to hear Sean Sheep.

So no 50hz artefact problem for you?

We’re had the Samsung for just under 7 days and we have used it every day.

Absolutely fantastic so far; no picture problem and no buzzing.

My sons have the Playstation hooked up and the smile on their faces tells it all; 58” of close up action.

Hi Guys,

Bought one at lunchtime today, last one in stock $2300 cash from JBHiFi - was in The Good Guys looking at one on display, fantastic PQ, he could only offer $2550 as best best deal.

Can't wait to set this puppy up and "tweak" it.

Cheers

Great buy Buster, did you grab extended warranty?

Nah,

Didn't take the additional warranty option, hopefully I won't need it, but if anything does go wrong outside of warranty I'd probably call up Samsung head office and see what they would be prepared to offer.

To be honest, I change my TV's approx every 18 months / two years to at least keep one step behind the next generation of TV's - reason I do this is new models in most kinds of manufacturing exhibit niggly issues that are resolved as the model ranges age. When you get towards the end of a series production you normally find that the product is at the peak of it's quality and reliability and most importantly great value for money.

But like I say, hopefully I won't need to do that.

Hi Guys,

Bought one at lunchtime today, last one in stock $2300 cash from JBHiFi - was in The Good Guys looking at one on display, fantastic PQ, he could only offer $2550 as best best deal.

Can't wait to set this puppy up and "tweak" it.

Cheers

hey BusterB, is it possible for you to send me your receipt? I am thinking of getting this TV as well....kin2son @ tpg dot com dot au

Also, can anyone enlighten me about the 'tweak' you can apply to make it as a 650?

hey BusterB, is it possible for you to send me your receipt? I am thinking of getting this TV as well....kin2son @ tpg dot com dot au

Also, can anyone enlighten me about the 'tweak' you can apply to make it as a 650?

See below,

Anyway, I just changed my model to a B680 model, so now I have a prettier menu and some extra options (cinema smooth being one). Not that I noticed any difference though.

If anyone else does then please report. By the way to get into the service menu its:

TV in Standby -> "info" -> "menu" -> "mute" -> power on

Do so at your own risk by the way.

Edited by Struggo

To be honest, I change my TV's approx every 18 months / two years to at least keep one step behind the next generation of TV's - reason I do this is new models in most kinds of manufacturing exhibit niggly issues that are resolved as the model ranges age. When you get towards the end of a series production you normally find that the product is at the peak of it's quality and reliability and most importantly great value for money.

I like your rationale, BusterB, and there aren't many more shrewder buys than the 58" B550 at the moment.

Well done. B)

Set up my 58B550 Saturday night - no buzzing.

Carried out the tweak to a B680 model, nicer menu's etc.

Can someone tell me how and where to enable "Cinema Smooth"

Also, I read in the manual that external HDD's are not supported, has anyone managed a work around as the TV apparently only recognises FAT32 formatted drives.

I managed to watch a Divx movie from a 8GB USB stick perfectly well.

Lastly, has anyone tried tweaking to other model numbers, 7 or 8 series and found other picture or additional features.

Cheers

Oh by the way, I started an owners thread, but I'll copy the text over into here instead, is there any way of changing the thread title and having my thread deleted ??

Here: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=86443

Some of the settings are for other models in the range but I put them in as some owners - like myself - will want to "tweak" their TV to a higher model number.

Tweak:

To get into the service menu its: TV in Standby -> "info" -> "menu" -> "mute" -> power on. Changing the model number to B680 or higher unlocks "Cinema smooth". A forum member in the other 58B550 thread tried an 8 series model number and found the sound changed to a softer note, possibly due to the 8 series model having a different speaker set up. Do this tweak at your own risk.

Reviews and settings:

http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/pla...550-review.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1128688

forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_102-0.html?threadID=345810&tag=forums06;forum-threads

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/calibra...-pn-58a650.html

From AVS Forum:

As a fellow owner of a PN50B550, here are the settings I have after using a Blu-ray copy of DVE HD Basics Calibration disc:

Movie Mode

Cell Light 8

Contrast 80

Brightness 53

Sharpness 0

Color Saturation 47

Tint 50/50

Black Tone Off

Dynamic Contrast Off

Gamma -1

Color Space Auto

White Balance (All set to 25)

Flesh Tone -1

Edge Enhancement Off

Color Tone Warm2

Digital NR Auto

Film Mode Off

(Note, I watch my TV in a completely dark room with absolutely no reflections, so the picture may look very dark if your room is even a little bit bright....but these are as close to real picture settings as I have gotten without a professional calibration)

More settings from AVS Forum:

I found these setting while lurking around the net. Hope they help. I am going to try these settings and will report back on the picture quality. BTW, just bought my set a week ago so I am still getting used to the controls and settings. I still haven't quite determined what the cell light does but will post when I find a reasonable answer. Won't let me post the URL until I submit 3 posts therefore:

White Balance Settings

Red-Offset 22 Red-Gain 33

Green-Offset 25 Green-Gain 25

Blue-Offset 12 Blue-Gain 33

Picture Settings

Picture Mode Movie Black Tone: Off

Color Temp Warm 2 Dynamic Contrast: Off

Brightness 56 Gamma: 0

Contrast 90 Color Space: Auto

Color 53 Flesh Tone: Off

Tint G35/R65 Edge Enhancement: Off

Sharpness 10 Digital NR: Auto

Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low

Film Mode: Auto

Cheers

Buster

Amazing... it plays mkv files... they play beautifully through a 320gb WD passport. This TV just keeps getting better! On a few of the files it comes up as audio codec not supported but the image plays..... **scurries off to find a workaround**.

-

Sean,

Can you tell e how you got it to work with the WD drive, I have the same drive as you, but the TV will not recognise it, maybe it got formatted as NTFS when it was connected to a WDTV..??

My 8GB thumb drive works perfectly

I may transfer all of the movies offthe drive to a PC then format the WD drive to FAT32 then copy the movies back onto it.

The only problem I ca see is that the .mkv movies I have that are 8 and 10GB will probably not work due to FAT32 breaing files down into 1GB blocks.

How did you get an .mkv to work, was it a smaller files size ??

Thanks BB

You have to enable 24p on your BD player, once that is on and the movie is running, go to picture settings and cinema smooth should be selectable.

-

Aha, that will be why then LOL, Pio bluray arriving on Friday - BPD120 from Clearance site.

Sorry to go off subject Struggo but I notice you have Klipsch quintet III's, I'm looking at picking up a set, how do they perform.? They'll be hooked up to a Pio 519 receiver coming Friday.

Cheers

BB

-

Aha, that will be why then LOL, Pio bluray arriving on Friday - BPD120 from Clearance site.

Sorry to go off subject Struggo but I notice you have Klipsch quintet III's, I'm looking at picking up a set, how do they perform.? They'll be hooked up to a Pio 519 receiver coming Friday.

Cheers

BB

They are great :D . Initially they were a touch bright running on my old Yamaha RX-V496, although over time they mellowed out and it was no longer a problem.

I grabbed mine from HN over a year ago with a Sub 10 and recently hooked them up to a Denon AVR-790.

Edited by Struggo

Hey guys,

I've been reading a rather long thread over at AV Forums relating to .mkv playback on the B550, has anyone here experienced their TV rebooting etc...seems like they are having to add a firmware hack to the 2008 Sammy firmware and then installing this to get the TV playing back files properly without any rebooting.

If this is the case, I'd rather use a WDTV to play media back with to be honest.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd...ml#post11537366

Cheers

BB