Samsung Ps58b550

Guest gpowell3333
Hi KK

Please PM me with the reciept thanks :)

gpowell - you may be interested in this

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/1010283/...redemption.html

ARGH! i must have missed this by minutes! Oh well paid about $3500 all up including 5 year warranty through StreamMaster.. was still an excellent deal

I got the panel 2 dasy later and everyhting has been perfect. Craig and the guys at Stream Master were great, Myer delivery was great and the plasma itself is phenomenal! I recommend it all!

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gpowell3333

No buzzing on my panel either, i assume that issue has been dealt with.

As for wall mounts, well you better make sure your wall and brackets are strong becuase I could not believe how heavy the television is. Was a huge effort just for me and friend to lift it up one foot from the floor to the entertainment unit!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at ditching my Pana 50PX80A and upgrading to a 58B550. Basically I'm sick of the poor colour and gamma on the Panasonic. Does anyone think it's possible to get this TV for $3000?

Also has anyone taken an accurate measurement of the black level on the Samsung? I can't seem to find any hard evidence of this. I've measured 0.12cdm2 on my Pana and it is not acceptable to me especially on dark scenes, I need at least 0.05cdm2 with no floating blacks. Is the Samsung up to the task?

If black level in a dark room is your priority buy a G or V series Panasonic, blacks wont be black but the only step up is the now extinct 60” Kuro.

If black level in a non dark environment is important the 6 and particularly the 8 series Samsungs Plasmas are a better choice, as are some LCD's.

Edited by Owen

If black level in a dark room is your priority buy a G or V series Panasonic, blacks wont be black but the only step up is the now extinct 60" Kuro.

If black level in a non dark environment is important the 6 and particularly the 8 series Samsungs Plasmas are a better choice, as are some LCD's.

Agreed.

Black levels on the samsungs in a dark room are not great. The panasonics look much better to my eyes. Even the older 800A models.

When theres plenty of ambient light, the samsungs work well, actually much better than the panasonics.

Appreciate the comments but I am really put off by the Panasonics after my experience with them and won't be getting another. It's either a 58B550 or wait for next years models. I am steering towards the latter after reading about this 50hz artefact problem which it looks like Samsung won't be fixing.

Appreciate the comments but I am really put off by the Panasonics after my experience with them and won't be getting another. It's either a 58B550 or wait for next years models. I am steering towards the latter after reading about this 50hz artefact problem which it looks like Samsung won't be fixing.

Know one has reported any problem with the Oz models.

Seems odd that know one on this forum has reported such problems with Samsung plasmas.

If it’s an issue with motion interpolation, not uncommon as such systems are inevitably floored, it won’t affect the 550 as it does not have such a system as far as I know.

If you are concerned spend an hour in front a Sammy in a retailer and see if you can see anything unusual, if you cant its obviously not a significant issue.

Edited by Owen

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had theirs turn on by itself. 3 times, usually late at night after going to bed, i have heard a click noise, as if it has been turned on by remote, then the screen goes a light grey colour, then it turns off. Not a big problem, but it freaks you out at 3am..

MJ

I just got mine today lol Looks really good and the PQ is great. The best 58 on the market IMO. The screen filter really helps get rid of the green tinge like the Panna's have.

Turning itself on, hmm I hope that doesn't happen to me! If it does anyone got a solution?

EDIT: found a fix (thanks Google) go to, MENU --> SUPPORT --> SOFTWARE UPDATES --> and turn "Standby Mode Updates" off.

Edited by Alista

I just got mine today lol Looks really good and the PQ is great. The best 58 on the market IMO. The screen filter really helps get rid of the green tinge like the Panna's have.

Turning itself on, hmm I hope that doesn't happen to me! If it does anyone got a solution?

EDIT: found a fix (thanks Google) go to, MENU --> SUPPORT --> SOFTWARE UPDATES --> and turn "Standby Mode Updates" off.

Cheers, will give it a go

Has anyone had theirs turn on by itself. 3 times, usually late at night after going to bed, i have heard a click noise, as if it has been turned on by remote, then the screen goes a light grey colour, then it turns off. Not a big problem, but it freaks you out at 3am..

MJ

Hi MJ

Yep this happens to mine too. I thought it might be because I've recently switched towards using a Universal remote, but maybe not!

It doesn't turn all the way on, but the screen turns light grey and it makes a clicking noise... interesting...

Just got mine yesterday also... fantastic tv and an absolute bargain $2680 delivered with extra 3 years warranty (4years total). Have yet to try the cinema smooth 'tweak' but will report back with results when I do.

Fantastic price! where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking?

Wow, great price Sean. And thanks to Alista for the fix for the TV turning itself on. That's given the Mrs a bit of fright as well.

I thought I should report that I've changed the model of my TV through the service menu. I think this might be what Sean Sheep meant by the cinema smooth 'tweak'. Just note that the instructions from AVSforum (US) to get into the service menu didn't work, but I think there are instructions from AVforums (UK) that does.

Anyway, I just changed my model to a B680 model, so now I have a prettier menu and some extra options (cinema smooth being one). Not that I noticed any difference though.

If anyone else does then please report. By the way to get into the service menu its:

TV in Standby -> "info" -> "menu" -> "mute" -> power on

Do so at your own risk by the way.