Samsung Ps58b550

SAMSUNG PS58B550 Review

Hi everyone, as promised here is my initial review of this model.

Positives (there are many!)

Size This screen is very large (but you already knew that) my room is fairly large, i sit 4 to 5 metres away from the TV, and i was initially suprised at how much bigger it appeared compared to in store, I think its a nice size for this room but would probably work equally well maybe 3 - 3.5 metres away.

Design - This tv is very elegant, streamlined and modern and simple, it just looks right.

Control there is so much control available to you that i doubt anyone will be disappointed. (from my initial testing, under picture i have adjusted the mode to "Movie", and white balance under advanced settings, i have reduced G-Offset from 25 to 20, in order to reduce the slight green tinge, Brightness 50 Contrast 75, with these settings i am quite satisfied, and i am tricky to please :) )

Image Quality is crisp and clean, colours are vibrant, though more "real" than LCD's i have seen, its a very pleasing image almost by default, and with so much control available i'm sure virtually everyone will be pleased. Note: i have not watched any blue ray movies, i have no doubt they will be fine, i have watched some dvd's through my ps3 and the amount of detail surprised me in a good way. Games are incredible, though with most games being 1080p i was not too surprised.

Organisation - this remote is very good, and by that i mean buttons are where they should be, sounds insignificant? not to me, things are logically placed on the remote and screen menus are easy to navigate, i have had remotes in the past that were no doubt designed by monkeys having a party drinking coconut juice, quite annoying.

Speed - I have been impressed with the speed of channel changing and also startup. A friend of mine bought a top of the range 50 inch Pioneer Kuro not too long ago for 6k or so, but is quite slow at changing channels, i found that a little disappointing.

Negatives

? not really any so far, i guess some people have been talking about a buzzing sound, well let me put it this way, if you are in the habit of sticking your head behind you tv while watching it (fairly difficult to do) then its quite possible you may hear a slight buzzing sound. However if you're like me and actually sit in front of the tv, possibly on a couch a few metres away, then you are more likely to hear the wind outside then any buzzing from this tv.

Sound quality - this was initially a slight issue, however as mentioned earlier, there is so much control that this tv gives you, you can change specific frequencies, that allow for a much more full bodied sound, once again you have complete control. I found a setting that i like very much that removed the intial slight tinniness of the speakers. Therefore this is no longer a negative, the sound quality with slight tweaking is now fine. :)

Overall Impression

My overall impression is that i can't believe i was able to get a "quality" 58 inch tv for $3,500. The picture quality is outstanding, colours, sharpness, brightness and contrast. Fast navigation, good reception with built in tuner, attractive, the design is very nice. Games look fantastic, response time is excellent (no blurring etc). So it's quite obvious that i recommend this tv to anyone looking at this size screen who will sit probably 3 metres or more away, very satisfied. :)

Brilliant mate !!

Ordered mine today as you know.

many thanks

C.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I used this thread in making my decision to buy this tv (after coming back from a US holiday and seeing the same model on sale for a jaw dropping $1600USD at Costco - and then being told that was "expensive" by their standards).

In case people were still trying to price these, here was my experience at purchasing this awesome TV last weekend.

Walked into Harvey Norman Auburn on the weekend. Told them I had been offered the TV for $3199 at Myer on 12 months interest free but had to wait 4 weeks for it and wanted it today. Sticker price was $4286.

Sales guy said absolutely no way.

I walked out, don't know if anyone here knows the Auburn megastore but was on my way down the escalator to the furniture section to get to the car when the sales guy chased me down and told me to come back up. He said he could do it for $3500 cash. I told him, in a nice way, not to waste my time again and I'd just make the purchase from Myer.

He then offered $3199 at 6 months interest free, I said no way had to be 12 months.

In the end - got it for $3199 on 12 months interest free, and paid an extra $230 for an additional 2 years extended warranty. So in total, $3429 including the 3 years warranty in total.

For reference, JB hifi knocked me back completely on this price, 2nds world (brand new not second item) was willing to give me the price but extended warranty at $450 and no interest free at all unless I paid 10% additional.

Didn't have to try anywhere else before getting the Harvey Deal. I have a friend who works at Myer who said she could get it for me for the $3199 with her discount so that was my benchmark.

Let me know if anyone wants more info

Nate

Hi guys,

I used this thread in making my decision to buy this tv (after coming back from a US holiday and seeing the same model on sale for a jaw dropping $1600USD at Costco - and then being told that was "expensive" by their standards).

In case people were still trying to price these, here was my experience at purchasing this awesome TV last weekend.

Walked into Harvey Norman Auburn on the weekend. Told them I had been offered the TV for $3199 at Myer on 12 months interest free but had to wait 4 weeks for it and wanted it today. Sticker price was $4286.

I walked out, don't know if anyone here knows the Auburn megastore but was on my way down the escalator to the furniture section to get to the car when the sales guy chased me down and told me to come back up. He said he could do it for $3500 cash. I told him, in a nice way, not to waste my time again and I'd just make the purchase from Myer.

He then offered $3199 at 6 months interest free, I said no way had to be 12 months.

In the end - got it for $3199 on 12 months interest free, and paid an extra $230 for an additional 2 years extended warranty. So in total, $3429 including the 3 years warranty in total.

For reference, JB hifi knocked me back completely on this price, 2nds world (brand new not second item) was willing to give me the price but extended warranty at $450 and no interest free at all unless I paid 10% additional.

Didn't have to try anywhere else before getting the Harvey Deal. I have a friend who works at Myer who said she could get it for me for the $3199 with her discount so that was my benchmark.

Nate

That sounds great, do you have a copy of the receipt?

Would love a copy of that receipt as purchasing this model asap. Cash is here burning a hole in my pocket ..lol If you could send it to coast_n_along at good ole hotmail that would be great thanks.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Nate

Guest gpowell3333

I am ready to Purchase this plasma. Its currently available for $3150 online through streamaster.com.au.... I have a concern buying online? Anyone know if these guys a reputable?

Any other prices on this TV out there??

thanks

Hello all

I posted this on the prices thread a few days back, but maybe I should also do it on this thread.

I got the 58B550 for $3,100 from HN. I needed a new fridge, washing machine and TV, so got the best prices I could and just called around.

First place I called couldn't get close. Second place I called was HN. I simply said these are the models I wanted to buy and these are the best prices I have been able to get so far - I said $3,150 for the TV. Guy called me back and said he would do the TV for $3,100. Delivery is $45 and extended warranty (4 more years) is $350 if I wanted it (but I didn't).

I'm guessing that buying the fridge and washing machine also helped.

EDIT: They didn't have stock by the way. So I paid a deposit and will get it in a couple of weeks.

KK

Edited by MperR

Hello all

I posted this on the prices thread a few days back, but maybe I should also do it on this thread.

I got the 58B550 for $3,100 from HN. I needed a new fridge, washing machine and TV, so got the best prices I could and just called around.

First place I called couldn't get close. Second place I called was HN. I simply said these are the models I wanted to buy and these are the best prices I have been able to get so far - I said $3,150 for the TV. Guy called me back and said he would do the TV for $3,100. Delivery is $45 and extended warranty (4 more years) is $350 if I wanted it (but I didn't).

I'm guessing that buying the fridge and washing machine also helped.

EDIT: They didn't have stock by the way. So I paid a deposit and will get it in a couple of weeks.

KK

Hi KK

Thats actually a really good price.

Any chance of posting a copy of the reciept, please?

However, understand if you don't feel comfortable.

Thanks

Frederico

Hi KK

Thats actually a really good price.

Any chance of posting a copy of the reciept, please?

However, understand if you don't feel comfortable.

Thanks

Frederico

Hi Frederico

I'll try to get it scanned later today. Not sure where to post it though. Do you want me to just PM it to you?

KK

Guest gpowell3333

hello! can you PLEASE pm me the receipt too PLEASE. I am about to buy this tv! or send to gpowell 'at' adam.com.au ! thank you so much!

i assume HN is Harvey Norman?

hello! can you PLEASE pm me the receipt too PLEASE. I am about to buy this tv! or send to gpowell 'at' adam.com.au ! thank you so much!

i assume HN is Harvey Norman?

Hi gpowell

I've just sent you an email. I couldn't figure out how to add an attachment using PM. Good luck and yes HN = Harvey Norman.

KK

Hi KK

Thanks for that....in fact, I have actually bought mine at a worse price than yours - $3200, plus $500 extended warranty. But my older brother is after the same TV, after seeing mine.

The digitalcentre price does seem pretty good. Wonder if there are any catches.

Email sent.

Though, with the digitalcentre price, I think you guys will have no problems getting an even better price than I did.

KK

The digitalcentre price does seem pretty good. Wonder if there are any catches.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. In any case, I would think that your brother could just use that as a bargaining chip rather than actually buy it from digitalcentre.

How are you finding the TV by the way?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. In any case, I would think that your brother could just use that as a bargaining chip rather than actually buy it from digitalcentre.

How are you finding the TV by the way?

Yeh actually pretty good. PQ is pretty good. You'll need to adjust the settings, as the settings out of the box are rubbish. Blacks are relatively deep. Watching HD/Blue ray movies are pretty good too. There is no buzzing, despite what other people have said.

SD is actually not bad too. However, after watching 2:35:1 movies such as blue ray, there is slight image retention with the black horizontal bars. But it disappears after a few minutes of watching full screen content.

I bought mine about 2.5 weeks ago, so I just missed out on getting the promotional TV...doh

I am ready to Purchase this plasma. Its currently available for $3150 online through streamaster.com.au.... I have a concern buying online? Anyone know if these guys a reputable?

I got one of these through streamaster last week.

Buying through Streamaster is really the same as buying it through Myer. You get the TV from Myer, the Warranty is from Myer, the receipt is from Myer, etc.... And if anything goes wrong you take it back to Myer. So there is really no risk.

I virtually got a call from Myer the day after I placed my order with Streamaster to say my TV had arrived and it would be delivered that arvo....

Remember if you pay by direct debit you get a further $50 discount....

The TV looks great. Awesome watching OneHD sports.. :)

The only thing is that the speakers are absolutely CR@P..!!!!

I expected more from a $3k TV....

And as FTO said, you need to setup the colours as it is very dark from factory settings...

EDIT: I should just add that the extended Warranty is directly through United (which is the same as what Myer uses.)

Edited by Maxx Power

I'm interested to know whether anyone has actually bought from Digital Centre, and what feedback they can provide from shopping there. That price seems too good to be true.

It does. I'd be asking if they're old stock to make sure you don't get one of the early buzzing panels.