Samsung Ps58b550

Doesn't seem to be much activity on this model as late. I'm looking to pick one up in the next few weeks and from a couple of quick inquiries, retailers don't seem all that interested in making deals. At both JB's i've been to they have said price is around $4,400. This is without haggling but is a long way from the $3,500 people were apparently getting these for a month or so back. Electricaldiscounter.com.au have these around the $3750 mark which is ok but i don't think holds much credence with stores down here being a) on-line and b ) in Queensland.

Are there any receipts floating around for the $3,500 - $3,700 mark?

Cheers

Edited by iGBH

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Just purchased the PS58B550 at JB Hifi in Warringah mall. I got it for $3445 , with warranty and delivery it came to $3700 which frankly seems pretty good, when you consider the list price was around $4500. If you are looking for this model go and speak to Ash he'll sort something out for you, seems like a nice guy too.

Guest EAMONxEDGE
Hi guys,

Just purchased the PS58B550 at JB Hifi in Warringah mall. I got it for $3445 , with warranty and delivery it came to $3700 which frankly seems pretty good, when you consider the list price was around $4500. If you are looking for this model go and speak to Ash he'll sort something out for you, seems like a nice guy too.

hey lightavail i'm brand new to the board, but i'd really really appreciate it if you could email me the receipt too. i'm looking at buying this very model atm

hey lightavail i'm brand new to the board, but i'd really really appreciate it if you could email me the receipt too. i'm looking at buying this very model atm

That's fine, just let me know your email address and i'll send it to you. It's expected to arrive today so i'll also do a review about my thoughts once i get a chance to spend a bit of time with it. :)

Guest EAMONxEDGE
That's fine, just let me know your email address and i'll send it to you. It's expected to arrive today so i'll also do a review about my thoughts once i get a chance to spend a bit of time with it. :)

xEAMON.MATTHEWSx@gmail.com

thank you so much, really appreciate it!!!

SAMSUNG PS58B550 Review

Hi everyone, as promised here is my initial review of this model.

Positives (there are many!)

Size This screen is very large (but you already knew that) my room is fairly large, i sit 4 to 5 metres away from the TV, and i was initially suprised at how much bigger it appeared compared to in store, I think its a nice size for this room but would probably work equally well maybe 3 - 3.5 metres away.

Design - This tv is very elegant, streamlined and modern and simple, it just looks right.

Control there is so much control available to you that i doubt anyone will be disappointed. (from my initial testing, under picture i have adjusted the mode to "Movie", and white balance under advanced settings, i have reduced G-Offset from 25 to 20, in order to reduce the slight green tinge, Brightness 50 Contrast 75, with these settings i am quite satisfied, and i am tricky to please :) )

Image Quality is crisp and clean, colours are vibrant, though more "real" than LCD's i have seen, its a very pleasing image almost by default, and with so much control available i'm sure virtually everyone will be pleased. Note: i have not watched any blue ray movies, i have no doubt they will be fine, i have watched some dvd's through my ps3 and the amount of detail surprised me in a good way. Games are incredible, though with most games being 1080p i was not too surprised.

Organisation - this remote is very good, and by that i mean buttons are where they should be, sounds insignificant? not to me, things are logically placed on the remote and screen menus are easy to navigate, i have had remotes in the past that were no doubt designed by monkeys having a party drinking coconut juice, quite annoying.

Speed - I have been impressed with the speed of channel changing and also startup. A friend of mine bought a top of the range 50 inch Pioneer Kuro not too long ago for 6k or so, but is quite slow at changing channels, i found that a little disappointing.

Negatives

? not really any so far, i guess some people have been talking about a buzzing sound, well let me put it this way, if you are in the habit of sticking your head behind you tv while watching it (fairly difficult to do) then its quite possible you may hear a slight buzzing sound. However if you're like me and actually sit in front of the tv, possibly on a couch a few metres away, then you are more likely to hear the wind outside then any buzzing from this tv.

Sound quality - this was initially a slight issue, however as mentioned earlier, there is so much control that this tv gives you, you can change specific frequencies, that allow for a much more full bodied sound, once again you have complete control. I found a setting that i like very much that removed the intial slight tinniness of the speakers. Therefore this is no longer a negative, the sound quality with slight tweaking is now fine. :)

Overall Impression

My overall impression is that i can't believe i was able to get a "quality" 58 inch tv for $3,500. The picture quality is outstanding, colours, sharpness, brightness and contrast. Fast navigation, good reception with built in tuner, attractive, the design is very nice. Games look fantastic, response time is excellent (no blurring etc). So it's quite obvious that i recommend this tv to anyone looking at this size screen who will sit probably 3 metres or more away, very satisfied. :)

I got mine delivered today also.

I've no intention to do a full review but can agree with all of lightavail's findings.

Fantastic TV for the money. No buzzing here either (unless you stick your behind it). 1080p sources are brilliant and TV is very impressive although have scaled back brightness and contrast for the time being while running in.

Even Channel BT avi rips are pretty good.

Couldn't be happier.

Size This screen is very large (but you already knew that) my room is fairly large, i sit 4 to 5 metres away from the TV, and i was initially suprised at how much bigger it appeared compared to in store, I think its a nice size for this room but would probably work equally well maybe 3 - 3.5 metres away.

4 to 5 meters is ok for SD viewing but for 1080 HD you will need to move your seat forward to 2.5 meters or less to actually see 1080 resolution.

I have seen the 58 and 63” Samsungs at 2.5 meters and they looked good on HD, no reason to sit further back to get a good picture.

1080p sources are brilliant and TV is very impressive although have scaled back brightness and contrast for the time being while running in.

No need to turn down the “Brightness” control during run in or any other time, the “Contrast” control is the one that affects peak output and hence burn in risk. The “Brightness” control sets the black level and is therefore irrelevant.

SAMSUNG PS58B550 Review

Thanks for the detailed review lightavail! For the size/quality of the panel for the price being paid this seems the best value model to go for. In regards to the buzzing, i had the old CRT on mute in the study the other day and there was a distinct buzzing coming from it - i only noticed it now after the 8 or so years i have owned it after reading all the talk about buzz with the b series samsungs!

4 to 5 meters is ok for SD viewing but for 1080 HD you will need to move your seat forward to 2.5 meters or less to actually see 1080 resolution.

I have seen the 58 and 63” Samsungs at 2.5 meters and they looked good on HD, no reason to sit further back to get a good picture.

Owen i agree with you for 1080p but to be fair, the only way you are going to watch anything in 1080p is via blueray or a computer game, the standard tv stations aren't even close to supporting that amount of bandwidth.

Owen i agree with you for 1080p but to be fair, the only way you are going to watch anything in 1080p is via blueray or a computer game, the standard tv stations aren't even close to supporting that amount of bandwidth.

I common misconception and completely incorrect, 1080p is only 24 frames per second and requires LESS bandwidth then 1080i 50, which can carry 25 progressive frames per second, and much less than 1080i 60 which can carry up to 30 progressive frames per second.

For OZ 1080p 24 source like film on blue ray is sped up to 25p and broken into fields for transmission as 1080i 50, the display only has put the fields back together using the very simple weave technique to recover 1080p 25

1080i from an interlaced video camera is effectively 50 frames per second and has MUCH better motion handling then 1080p which is only 24fps.

The problem for free to air TV is lack of bandwidth, as long as there is not much motion you can have very high quality images, but as motion increases quality degrades rapidelly.

I common misconception and completely incorrect, 1080p is only 24 frames per second and requires LESS bandwidth then 1080i 50, which can carry 25 progressive frames per second, and much less than 1080i 60 which can carry up to 30 progressive frames per second.

For OZ 1080p 24 source like film on blue ray is sped up to 25p and broken into fields for transmission as 1080i 50, the display only has put the fields back together using the very simple weave technique to recover 1080p 25

1080i from an interlaced video camera is effectively 50 frames per second and has MUCH better motion handling then 1080p which is only 24fps.

The problem for free to air TV is lack of bandwidth, as long as there is not much motion you can have very high quality images, but as motion increases quality degrades rapidelly.

Unfortunately a lot of the stuff i watch on free to air does have a lot of motion, so the more bandwidth the better.

The bandwidth situation is not likely to improve as TV networks only care about multi channelling. In other countries the entire 18.5 Mbps bandwidth is used for just one HD channel, here we share it between a “HD” channel and an SD channel in roughly a 12/6Mbps split. If TV networks had their way they would dump HD and have 3 SD channels, more channels = more adds = more revenue.

If you want to watch sport in 1080 12Mbps is never going to cut it, but for other programme with little full camera movement its not bad.

Personally I don’t care what happens with free to air TV, I stopped watching it almost 10 years ago.

The bandwidth situation is not likely to improve as TV networks only care about multi channelling. In other countries the entire 18.5 Mbps bandwidth is used for just one HD channel, here we share it between a “HD” channel and an SD channel in roughly a 12/6Mbps split. If TV networks had their way they would dump HD and have 3 SD channels, more channels = more adds = more revenue.

If you want to watch sport in 1080 12Mbps is never going to cut it, but for other programme with little full camera movement its not bad.

Personally I don’t care what happens with free to air TV, I stopped watching it almost 10 years ago.

True, it's business at the end of the day, and if its not in the networks interest to improve bandwidth then they likely won't. The vast majority of buyers are not interested in 1080i or 1080p, they want a nice big tv, that provides a good picture at a reasonable price, and most tv's can do that these days, we have come along way in a fairly short time, and to get this tv for 3,500 is quite ridiculous, considering i bought a loewe arcada 28 inch for 3000 not that long ago. lol!