Samsung Ps58b550

Ive had the 58inch (PS58A650) for 6 months now and LOVE it. Ive compared apples with apples for ages and went with the 58inch (PS58A650) and havent looked back.

I saw that model (the ps50a650 actually) just before Xmas at Kambo's Retravision in Malaga and was very impressed with it.

I remember asking myself, "why is everyone here always talking about the Pana PZ80 and PZ800 (which were there too) when the ps50a650's picture seems to have more "pop" ?

That got me to consider Samsung even though the big story that took my interest then was with Panasonic's upcoming "Neo" plasma range at CES 2009. The other main story was LED panels but I wasn't that interested about them.

Edited by Geforce

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no perfect screen. The Pana's are flawed as are the Sammy's. The Pana 50V10 should be the best product technically, mentioned in this thread but the price may be too high. The Samsungs have some minor issues too, such as buzzing on some panels, and more Image Retention for gamers than the Pana's. Slightly lower black levels too but not enough to worry about.

The choice you indicate above is a very difficult one, but the 50B850 is the best screen above, the 50B650 may be the best bang-for-buck but the 58B550 offers more real estate - this is a tough choice. Go the 50B650 if you can score it for less than $2.5K would be my suggestion.

Ok, I have narrowed it down to the Samsung 50" 650B or 850B.

I think from the spec's the 850 has higher static contrast?

Some fancy processing engine for the 850 that the 650 doesn't have?

Seems like its mainly cosmetic changes between the 650-850 ?

Edited by Drizt

Hi Owen,

What are your thoughts on the 58" 550B samsung vs 50" 850B samsung.

I'm actually considering a '550 too now since the '650 may not turn up and I came across this info this morning.

Btw, from what I have read the Aus '850 and the UK '850 are the same as the U.S '860 but I haven't confirmed it yet.

Going with the 550 instead of the 860 you lose Cinema Smooth, you get standard Filterbright anti-glare coating vs the Ultra Filterbright Plus, you get 2,000,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and Wide Color Enhancer 2 vs 3,000,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and Wide Color Enhancer 3. You get a black frame and stand with gray touch of color vs black/clear/chrome frame and brushed stainless stand. Same number of HDMI ports. One USB port with no video capability vs 2 USB ports with video capability. Also you get no PIP with the 550, it's about 2 inches thicker than the 860 and I believe it's been said (not 100% sure on this one) that is has 2 sheets of glass vs single sheet.

As for basic picture quality, everything else is going to be the same. 600Mhz subfield processing and .001ms pixel response time so as for sports channels the motion handling will be the same as the 860.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....43#post16569143

If there was $600 difference between the 50" 650 and the 50" 850 would you pay the difference ?

I don't think I would. I could put that $600 towards a nice PVR or a new AV Receiver.

If I was looking at a 50" then I would likely settle for the ps50b650 instead of the ps50b850.

The spec's are very similar and the '850 is very thin. Thickness of a panel is not a priority for me.

The differences in spec that I can see are,

1. Ultra Filterbright Plus versus Ultra Filterbright. (still better than just Filterbright on the '550)

2. Speakers, 2 x 15W versus 2 x10W.

I wouldn't be able to finally decide though until I got to see and hear all of them first.

I don't think I would. I could put that $600 towards a nice PVR or a new AV Receiver.

If I was looking at a 50" then I would likely settle for the ps50b650 instead of the ps50b850.

The spec's are very similar and the '850 is very thin. Thickness of a panel is not a priority for me.

The differences in spec that I can see are,

1. Ultra Filterbright Plus versus Ultra Filterbright. (still better than just Filterbright on the '550)

2. Speakers, 2 x 15W versus 2 x10W.

I wouldn't be able to finally decide though until I got to see and hear all of them first.

I think the other thing I saw was:

Picture Engine SAMSUNG Crystal FHD Engine (850 has it 650 doesnt)

Ah, thanks.

Samsungs compare feature says that the 850 has it but the 650 doesn't

So basically its $600 for cosmetic differences and better glare protection. ????

Makes it hard to justify the extra $600

Yep, thats the size of it.

Note that the filter on the Samsung screens is NOT there to prevent the mirror like reflections from the smooth glass surface, only a mat finish with help there, it is to help prevent ambient light illuminating the grey phosphor layer of the underlying panel, which gives the screen a grey appearance under ambient light.

Look at a Samsung next to a Panasonic when both are switched off and the difference in obvious.

Edited by Owen

Yep, thats the size of it.

Note that the filter on the Samsung screens is NOT there to prevent the mirror like reflections from the smooth glass surface, only a mat finish with help there, it is to help prevent ambient light illuminating the grey phosphor layer of the underlying panel, which gives the screen a grey appearance under ambient light.

Look at a Samsung next to a Panasonic when both are switched off and the difference in obvious.

Thanks again owen.

Cheers.

I just got the Samsung PS58B550. $3700 shipped yesterday.

But they didn't have it in stock. So they let me have the LA55B650 LCD until the PS58B550 arrives in 3-4 weeks time. (Or i can stay with LA55B650 if I want for no extra cost)

(Once the PS58B550 arrives, I swap it with the LA55B650 and they will use the LA55B650 as a display model)

I can't wait to actually try both out. I'll see if the media2.0 feature is someting useful.

But ultimately, I think I'll go with the PS58B550 as I like the gray design more and it's 3 inches bigger. =)

I just got the Samsung PS58B550. $3700 shipped yesterday.

But they didn't have it in stock. So they let me have the LA55B650 LCD until the PS58B550 arrives in 3-4 weeks time. (Or i can stay with LA55B650 if I want for no extra cost)

(Once the PS58B550 arrives, I swap it with the LA55B650 and they will use the LA55B650 as a display model)

I can't wait to actually try both out. I'll see if the media2.0 feature is someting useful.

But ultimately, I think I'll go with the PS58B550 as I like the gray design more and it's 3 inches bigger. =)

Where did you get it from Jakiman, I cant find one in Adelaide anywhere?

Oh, and what is the sticker prices on these new tv's?

Cheers mate

Where did you get it from Jakiman, I cant find one in Adelaide anywhere?

Oh, and what is the sticker prices on these new tv's?

No one had it in stock here in Sydney either. So I got it ordered

I got mine through Myer. But I'm sure David Jones would have done the same.

Bing Lee offered me $4100 for the PS58B550 under finance.

RRP price for LA55B650 is $4699 and PS58B550 is $4299.

http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/samsung-s-2009...e-6455-101.html

Yes the B650 Samsung has a better screen filter, unfortunately none of the Panasonics have this valuable feature which means that the Panasonics are outperformed in anything except a very dim or dark room.

Hi Owen, I really value your observations and opinions and I was wondering if you know if this tv has all the necessary adjustments available to get a good picture, unlike the Pannas?

I am now seriously considering this tv if there is not going to be a 58'' 650 released.

Sounds good value for money if you can get it for $3700, the C509 Pioneer is around that money also, (another model I am looking at) so in your opinion, are there any features on the 50B650 that are a "must have" that makes it better value than the B550?

I dont even know what the street price is on the 50B650 is, if its 1K less maybe thats the better option? (missing out on a lot of screen size though!)

Thanks

Wags

650 has media2.0 (movie playback capability via usb stick) and Internet TV.

Also has DLNA wireless which allows playback of media files over wireless LAN.

Also has a red highlight color design. (550 has a gray/black outer frame)

Other than these two, it's virtually identical.

Check the gadgetguy link above for details.

Cheers for that jakiman, looks like its the 58B550 for me!

Be nice to get it for around 3.5K!

A 58” for $3700 is a very good deal, and if you don’t have much ambient light to contend with the B550 is as good as the B650.

The 50B650 will be about $1200 cheaper then the 58B550, but the extra size of the 58” is huge advantage and worth paying for IMHO.

A 58" for $3700 is a very good deal, and if you don't have much ambient light to contend with the B550 is as good as the B650.

The 50B650 will be about $1200 cheaper then the 58B550, but the extra size of the 58" is huge advantage and worth paying for IMHO.

Yeah. My sofa will be about 2.5-2.8 away from the TV screen.

So I guess 58" isn't so big for that distance but it'll have to do. =P

And I only care about IQ when watching it at night. So 550 it is.

Yeah. My sofa will be about 2.5-2.8 away from the TV screen.

So I guess 58" isn't so big for that distance but it'll have to do. =P

And I only care about IQ when watching it at night. So 550 it is.

Yep, sounds like 550 for me too. I would love some feedback from Owen after he sees one and has a play with it if its possible?

Now........................when can we get one, I went to myer TTP today and the fella said they dont have it on their computer, which means they "dont have any on order".

Asked if it was just for that store, he said " no. it was for all of them"?????

Now I want to know if anybody has actually seen one of these tv's in the flesh?

If not, when can we expect them?

Edited by Wags

I just banked my cheque from Samsung (as they did not have parts to fix my 50 inch P9).

I sit just over 4 metres away and 50 inch was way too small (especially when watching 2.40:1 movies).

Just waiting for the 58B550 to come into stock to compare PQ with the 850 which looked sensational (Good Guys, Hoppers have one).

I like others are struggling to justify the extra $1000 (given I don't actually have it.....the extra $1000 from the P9 is hard enough to justify to CFO).

I just got my PS50B550 from JB Belconnen!

I know it's not the 58 but I thought you guys might be interested as it is the same model with a larger size.

Picture quality is absolutely fantastic!

I have honestly never seen a better looking TV picture quality wise.

Keep in mind that I have only ever seen non calibrated LCD's but still!

I know source plays a big role so I fired up a blu ray on my PS3 and checked the quality. There was no grain in the picture, colours were vibrant with lots of pop. Contrast and black level were acceptable but did not match the colour in terms of quality. I do think that it had a great deal to do with my break in settings being far from optimal. When I played with the settings the blacks got a lot blacker very quickly.

As reported on AVS the thing does buzz though. It seems to project the noise from the centre of the panel on the front of the TV. While there is audio going at a reasonable volume you cant notice it if you tried but with no audio in a quiet room it has a very audible buzz. I don't anticipate that it is going to be a problem for me because I watched rambo last night and didn't even notice it.

It seems to be covered by the Samsung warranty if worst comes to worst anyway so I guess I will give it some time and see if it bothers me enough.

Edited by I)ickie

The other diff is that the 6 series has cinema smooth, maybe this feature doesn't make much difference?

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the advice, you have been very helpful.

Have you got a good link that describes the differences between the 550/650/750/850 (sorry to ask too much ??)

Great thread. Looking at the 58" Samsung as well. Would you get any of the above mentioned for $3700 on their own from Harvey?