Sign in to follow this  
Drizt

Samsung Ps58b550

Anyone have any thoughts on the 58" sammy?

I know someone who was thinking of getting the 50" Panasonic, but they have been told the 58" Samsung would be of similar PQ and have the obvious benifits of being bigger????

I have researched the Sammy's and Pana's quite extensively over at AVS.

In short, the Pana G10 range in Aus will not have THX mode which is the main additional feature over the cheaper S1 series. Colour accuracy and management is not as good as Samsungs. Blacks are supposedly marginally better on the Pana's but this in my own side by side comparison of G10 and other panels (excluding Samsung B series) at Myer was very difficult to see. The Samsungs should be more affordable and you can get a 1.2" thick panel for the same kind of price as the 5" thick Pana's. You can also get a larger screen size for less dollars from Samsung.

Samsung do have poorer customer service but not by much. The warranty on both are now down to 1 year. Pana's have probably got a marginally better reputation in terms of product quality and longevity.

As prices for the 54S1 and 50G10 are not well established and a bit on the high side at present, it seems like the Sammy's offer a bit more bang for your buck right now. Either product would not disappoint most buyers so you cant really go wrong with these.

Thanks mate, thats a great reply.

I'm actually leaning towards the Samsung PS58B650 plasma over the new G10 or V10 for a few reasons.

1. The Sammy has more picture adjustments than the Panasonics

2. The colours are said to be more accurate on the Sammy

3. The Sammy handles ambient lighting better than the Panasonics.

4. Doubt I'll be able to afford a 58" Panasonic.

The Panasonic is said to have much better speakers and slightly better black level so I'll have to weigh everything up upon inspection when all the models have landed but the Samsung PS58B650 is at the top of my list right now.

I'm actually leaning towards the Samsung PS58B650 plasma over the new G10 or V10 for a few reasons.

1. The Sammy has more picture adjustments than the Panasonics

2. The colours are said to be more accurate on the Sammy

3. The Sammy handles ambient lighting better than the Panasonics.

4. Doubt I'll be able to afford a 58" Panasonic.

The Panasonic is said to have much better speakers and slightly better black level so I'll have to weigh everything up upon inspection when all the models have landed but the Samsung PS58B650 is at the top of my list right now.

I'm going for the Samsung for pretty much the same reasons as you.

Are there any AU prices for 650 yet?

It doesnt look like we are getting the 58B650 here, you will have to choose between the 58B550 and 58B850 or 63B680 or go down to the 50B650.

Edited by Bertzz

It doesnt look like we are getting the 58B650 here, you will have to choose between the 58B550 and 58B850 or 63B680 or go down to the 50B650.

Yes I noticed that the 58B650 is missing from the Samsung Australia website, it's a shame because I'm sure the 58B850 will costs heaps more and the 58B550 misses out on important features like cinema smooth.

Personally I am interested in the 50B650 and a Ht projector combo.

it's a shame because I'm sure the 58B850 will costs heaps more and the 58B550 misses out on important features like cinema smooth.

About $1K at the moment, not sure if that differential will shrink?

Yes I noticed that the 58B650 is missing from the Samsung Australia website, it's a shame because I'm sure the 58B850 will costs heaps more and the 58B550 misses out on important features like cinema smooth.

Personally I am interested in the 50B650 and a Ht projector combo.

What is the main differences between the 550 and 650?

What is that cinema smooth?

I didn't notice that before. I just assumed that there was going to be a PS58B650 to succeed the PS58A650.

I just phoned Samsung and the rep said it's possible a PS58B650 might still turn up later in the year but he can't say for sure though.

What is the main differences between the 550 and 650?

What is that cinema smooth?

Someone else could answer this better than me but I think it is an important feature when viewing blu-ray films in 24p, eliminates any juddering.

Someone else could answer this better than me but I think it is an important feature when viewing blu-ray films in 24p, eliminates any juddering.

Thats about it. However, some people might argue that they dont mind watching the same judder evident when watching DVD and as such the feature is not all that worthwhile. Judder is a flaw and to have it removed is an improvement that we should strive for.

Yeah, I don't really know either. I'll confess, i've only actually watched one blu-ray. This is how I understand it thought:

Blu-Ray (and cinema film) are generaly 24 frames per second (23.937 actually). Most blu-ray players can output at 24p, but most tv's do not actuallu present 24 frames per second. It's usually more like 60 (60hz). What tv's then do is try to present a ratio of frames to make it fit the 24 frames per second, using something called 'pulldown'. The most common is 3:2 pulldown; what the TV does is present 1 frame 3 times, then the next frame 2 times and so on, thus allowing it to present the 24 frames per second on disc as 60 frames per second. There are many other types of pull-down (2:3:2 etc.), but what cinema smooth is a frame rate that is directly divisble by 24 (120 hz). So it displays each frame of 24p source material 5 times, resulting in an accurate flow of frames.

there are better explanations out there, but that's how I understand it. I hope the issue of judder without Cinema Smooth isn't too much of an issue, as it looks like I can't afford a 58" sammy with it.

Cheers.

Does the Panasonic TH-P50G10A have this feature?

I'm going for the Samsung for pretty much the same reasons as you.

Are there any AU prices for 650 yet?

I too am looking at the PS50B650 for my every day TV.

Was considering the LCD Series 7 46", but couldn't justify the additional $1k.

Got a pretty good deal through JB on the PS50B550 with a Tivo, just need to go back now and seal the deal with the upgrade to the B650 model.

Cheers.

Does the Panasonic TH-P50G10A have this feature?

Well kinda, the G10 range do 24p at 48Hz which causes flicker that is unwatchable from most peoples comments. The V10 does 24p at 96hz which has no flicker but the cost of the V10 will be much higher, me thinks.

Edited by Bertzz

Ah, I see.

This is more confusing than I thought.

So the 650B Samsungs are the ones to get.

So if it came down to getting a Samsung 50" 650B/750B/850B or a Samsung 58" 550B what would people get?

Edited by Drizt

Ah, I see.

This is more confusing than I thought.

So the 650B Samsungs are the ones to get.

So if it came down to getting a Samsung 50" 650B/750B/850B or a Samsung 58" 550B what would people get?

There is no perfect screen. The Pana's are flawed as are the Sammy's. The Pana 50V10 should be the best product technically, mentioned in this thread but the price may be too high. The Samsungs have some minor issues too, such as buzzing on some panels, and more Image Retention for gamers than the Pana's. Slightly lower black levels too but not enough to worry about.

The choice you indicate above is a very difficult one, but the 50B850 is the best screen above, the 50B650 may be the best bang-for-buck but the 58B550 offers more real estate - this is a tough choice. Go the 50B650 if you can score it for less than $2.5K would be my suggestion.

There is no perfect screen. The Pana's are flawed as are the Sammy's. The Pana 50V10 should be the best product technically, mentioned in this thread but the price may be too high. The Samsungs have some minor issues too, such as buzzing on some panels, and more Image Retention for gamers than the Pana's. Slightly lower black levels too but not enough to worry about.

The choice you indicate above is a very difficult one, but the 50B850 is the best screen above, the 50B650 may be the best bang-for-buck but the 58B550 offers more real estate - this is a tough choice. Go the 50B650 if you can score it for less than $2.5K would be my suggestion.

Thanks for the advice, you have been very helpful.

Have you got a good link that describes the differences between the 550/650/750/850 (sorry to ask too much ??)

Ive had the 58inch (PS58A650) for 6 months now and LOVE it. Ive compared apples with apples for ages and went with the 58inch (PS58A650) and havent looked back.

Yes I noticed that the 58B650 is missing from the Samsung Australia website, it's a shame because I'm sure the 58B850 will costs heaps more and the 58B550 misses out on important features like cinema smooth....

Looks like there is also a dynamic contrast difference,

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/...=PN58B650S1FXZA

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/...=PN58B550T2FXZA

This could explain what I read recently in another forum where someone said that the '650 and '850/'860 range had the "Ultra" Filter Bright screen whereas the '550/'560 just had the Filter Bright screen. Something like that anyway.

Thanks for the advice, you have been very helpful.

Have you got a good link that describes the differences between the 550/650/750/850 (sorry to ask too much ??)

Use the compare button on the Samsung website.

Yes the B650 Samsung has a better screen filter, unfortunately none of the Panasonics have this valuable feature which means that the Panasonics are outperformed in anything except a very dim or dark room.

Yes the B650 Samsung has a better screen filter, unfortunately none of the Panasonics have this valuable feature which means that the Panasonics are outperformed in anything except a very dim or dark room.

Hi Owen,

What are your thoughts on the 58" 550B samsung vs 50" 850B samsung.