Panasonic Th-p50g10a

G10 = 40 000:1 Native Contrast

S10 = 30 000:1 Native Contrast

G10 has slightly better blacks, and is also brighter at the other end of the scale too.

I have seen them side by side in a darkish room. I bought the G10 for better contrast for not much extra $$$.

Panasonic doesn't state it but I feel the S is using panel technology from last year whilst the G is Neo hence it is the latest panel from Panasonic.

My own evaluation of the 2 was the same as yours. I thought the G looked better, slightly deeper black, significantly more brightness capability, more pop.

If I were in charge of Panasonic I would dump the S.

I'd have X, bottom end of range.

I'd have G, middle of the range.

I'd have V at the top....I'd personally beef up the specs of the V to distance it more from the G (e.g. stick a HQV or ABT processing chip in the panel since Panasonic's current processor is below par).

Then have the Z is an expensive show case item (not many sales, but good to wow folks with thickness wise).

Dennis.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know that I bit the bullet and picked up a 50G on Saturday. I have been blown away by the HD content, especially the F1 on one HD. I have been a little disappointed with the quality of some of the Foxtel channels, but at this point I am putting this down to my setup, still on the old SD foxtel box, bog standard cables etc.

In short, happy so far, but with some tweaking to do.

Thanks for all the great advice on this thread and others.

P

Get a scart to component cables and you'll see better PQ, but it still won't compete with HD FTA

Yes, aparently component output from my Beyonwiz to the TV is the best possible SD output (i read somewhere on the Beyonwiz forum).

Stupid though, i'm not going to swap inputs based on whether the channel is SD or HD.

Caution re. different SCART cables. ...

Had a PVR from DSE that came with a SCART (PVR)-component(TV).

I thought=better PQ.

NOT: When you look at the SCART end, not all the pins are used (maybe half or less) and the resulting PQ looked worse to me than when connected by composite leads.

Hope it was just some weird thing on that PVR and doesn't affect you.

Picked up the 46 g today could not fit a 50" in the cabinet.

So far happy with quality as compared to my few year old Hitachi.

The best deal I could do around home was $2287 from Dick Smith.

Interestingly no one else came near generally others were around $2400.

Yes, aparently component output from my Beyonwiz to the TV is the best possible SD output (i read somewhere on the Beyonwiz forum).

Stupid though, i'm not going to swap inputs based on whether the channel is SD or HD.

I don't understand this comment Recusant.

Component is the best possible analogue connection, but you can watch all SD and HD channels regardless what cables you use.

Picked up the 46 g today could not fit a 50" in the cabinet.

should've also bought a new cabinet :ninja:

What's your Fujitsu gonna sit on? ;)

I'm in the process of designing and then starting to build a low-line cabinet for my new 50G10. I managed to score a few 20mm MDF sheets which is what I'll use.

Anyone have or recommend any designs that I could use for inspiration? At the moment I've got a design in my head - something around 180cm wide with three equal spaces along the top for Xbox 360, centre speaker and eventually BD player. Underneath the centre speaker have a space for maybe a PVR down the track and the AVR underneath it near the floor. There will be drawers on either side to store stuff.

The cabinet I'm using at the moment is starting to look a bit dated and shabby and this seems like a good opportunity to update. :P

Edited by Dreamcazman

I bought a new lowline unit when I got my 50". The side draws slide out for DVDs/Games etc

Are you sure 20mm MDF will support the TV?

That's a nice piece of furniture! Probably cost nearly as much as the TV... ^_^

Yeah the MDF should be strong enough, I wasn't planning on having the open space like yours but have supports underneath for the segments (either side of centre speaker) plus the TV's only 35kg. The cabinet I'm using now is kinda rickety and it held my Sony CRT without issue, and that's over 65kg, this new cabinet will be stronger.

I could always cut two top panels out and glue them together to make it 40mm, it'd weigh a tonne though. :P

Yeah the MDF should be strong enough, I wasn't planning on having the open space like yours but have supports underneath for the segments (either side of centre speaker) plus the TV's only 35kg. The cabinet I'm using now is kinda rickety and it held my Sony CRT without issue, and that's over 65kg, this new cabinet will be stronger.

I could always cut two top panels out and glue them together to make it 40mm, it'd weigh a tonne though. :P

I've been looking to do the same thing. I came across this. Might help you work out if that MDF will bear that load.

The Sagulator

Cheers,

Dave