Emotiva Group Buy

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

must stop reading this thread ...

:ninja:

Same, would luv an XPA-5 but have no money and nowhere to put it + would be killed by SWMBO (especially after I bought a bunch of home automation gear). :(

How would a UPA-7 and UMC-1 compare to say a LX-71?

If you already had one i'd use your LX71 as a pre-amp for the UPA-7 and the difference would be night and day (but I dislike Ice-power/digital amps so im biased).

If you already had one i'd use your LX71 as a pre-amp for the UPA-7 and the difference would be night and day (but I dislike Ice-power/digital amps so im biased).

I think that might be a fair comment (not that I've owned ICE amps) ... but see the first post in the thread and post your question on the Emo forum - you should get some comparative answers of ICE amps versus the Class AB/H amps (with probably preference for the latter).

For those interested in warranty, servicing etc, this from their FAQ:

Shipping: Our equipment is generally quite heavy, and international shipping is accordingly

very expensive. We can discuss shipping methods with you and ship to you in the most cost

effective manner, but tracking the package and guaranteed delivery may be beyond our

control.

Servicing Issues:

1. We will thoroughly test the unit(s) to make sure they are working properly before it

leaves Emotiva.

2. If service is required, the cost of shipping to us and return shipping is the sole

responsibility of the end user. Should you chose to have the servicing done locally, we

would offer any needed technical support by email or phone, as well as send any

necessary parts.

Edited by Autocrat

Other than printed specs (power output, variety of connections, etc) can anyone comment on the difference in audio quality between the UPA and XPA amps - I'm tossing up between an XPA-3 to power my front sound stage only, or a UPA-7 to power everything...

The UPA series will pretty much be better than anything a receiver has and will be more than sufficient for most people - notably if you have efficient speakers. The XPA series has significantly more headroom and better internal components and the comments in the US indicate that the XPA is better at the higher to extreme end of its use. Not sure how many speakers you have/what efficiency they are rated at, but I'd opt for the XPA-5. In my experience its just gets louder and louder but never out of control - in fact its more than I need so I've never pushed it to the limits (or I'd be in for new speakers). If you really need to run 7 channels, the preferred option is the XPA-5 + XPA-2 - the XPA-2 has even more headroom than the XPA-5, with the XPA-3 a slightly more toned down version of the XPA-5 to match the voltage to the rails for output to be consistent for mixing and matching the 5/3/2.

Hopefully Gazman can provide some feedback on his 4308/MPS-2 combination just to give you an idea of how things scale up the U/X/M/R series.

<snip> Not sure how many speakers you have/what efficiency they are rated at, but I'd opt for the XPA-5. <snip>

Thanks for the feedback. I reckon the XPA-5 is just out of reach for me, so I'll have to decide between the XPA-3 and UPA-7.

I'm running 5 speakers with the mains being B&W 603s3. They are a 90dB sensitivity from memory so not super efficient, and my receiver definitely isn't up to the task for music.

Seems like the best option might be XPA-3 now and worry about rears later, as Jason says. It just means I won't be able to swap out the receiver for a pre-pro anytime soon :(

Seems like the best option might be XPA-3 now and worry about rears later, as Jason says. It just means I won't be able to swap out the receiver for a pre-pro anytime soon :(

I went through the same dilemma of UPA-7 versus XPA-5 or 3, so consider this - for the price difference of the 3 to the 5, the shipping of the 5 at or about the same cost of the 3 and having to get a second unit later on ex-GB, you are better off getting the XPA-5 now. You'll also save on space in your rack as these things are huge and heavy ;)

Edited: spelling

Edited by jklow888