Sign in to follow this  
Recusant

Samsung Vs Panasonic Plasmas

I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews for either of these products:

Panasonic: THP50G10A

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=5114

Samsung: PS50A750

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/...=PS50A750T1FXXY

I've already decided that i would prefer plasma to LCD, and with the limited choices i've narrowed it down to these two. But how to decide from here?

The Panasonic isn't in any stores yet, which is a shame because i was ready to buy it tomorrow at a 15% off sale. The same store only had Samsung LCDs at the time, so i don't know what the chance is they'll have the plasma by tomorrow!

According to "www.thetvstore.com.au" the Panasonic is cheaper, which surprised me a little.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Recusant

The Samsung A750 is a superseded model, the 2009 models are B550, B650 and B750.

The new panels are better and should be rolling out now.

The Samsung A750 is a superseded model, the 2009 models are B550, B650 and B750.

The new panels are better and should be rolling out now.

I can't find the B750 on Samsung's website, but i'll take your word for it. Do you know when it arrives and it's RRP? How does it fare vs the Panasonic?

I bought a Panasonic 42" plasma tv last November after much online research and instore viewings. I prefer plasma tv, which generally offers slightly better contrast and black level performance than LCDs, along with noticeably wider viewing angles. People often describe plasma's picture quality as filmlike, so it's a great choice for a home theater.

Hi Recus.. I have just taken delivery of a Samsung 46'' LCD and cannot be happier! The picture is great, tv is easy to use and navigate and it looks good! I havent had to speak to Samsung for any issues at this stage.. Touch wood, but apparently, from reviews on this site especially, Panasonic have an AWFUL reputation for warranties,

Sorry, Im on my phone & it wont let me scroll down in the text box! Anyway.. pana dont have a great rep for warranty, so personally l wouldnt bother with extended warranty! Also, how can u choose a tv u havent watched yet? The reason l went Samsung, as l watch sport & it looked clearer on the Samsung than the Panasonic. Does that make things worse! Ha?

ok, coming from a Samsung fan i would have to say go the Panasonic ^_^

from my female point of view it's easy, both tv's are good :)

but i keep saying it, look at the tvs for an extended time, the Panna is by far the prettiest one ^_^

looking at the Sammy for too long makes my tummy feel funny :(

it's going to be kind of hard to avoid looking at once you get it set up :rolleyes:

Anyway.. pana dont have a great rep for warranty, so personally l wouldnt bother with extended warranty!

Extended warranties when bought in-store are usually provided by third party insurance brokers and not by the manufacturer. I can't see what an extended warranty has to do with Panasonic.

Other than Pioneer, none of the other manufacturers have great warranty service on their products, so I would argue that your statement regarding Panasonic and warranty, applies to most other manufacturers...

Edited by diesel

I just bought the PS50A750 and am really happy with it.

Been using it for both Free to air digital TV and Xbox 360, and have no complaints at all.

It's an American site reviewing the just superceded models, but gives a good insight about the differences/pros/cons of both brands and some of the things that may still be applicable to the new models

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U vs. Samsung PN50A650 Plasma TV Review

This is an interesting review, thanks. It would be great to get an up to date one with the current models.

The reivew gives the edge to the Samsung. I would expect as much considering it's slightly more expensive.

Anyway.. pana dont have a great rep for warranty, so personally l wouldnt bother with extended warranty! Also, how can u choose a tv u havent watched yet? The reason l went Samsung, as l watch sport & it looked clearer on the Samsung than the Panasonic. Does that make things worse! Ha?

I'm not shopping for an extended warranty, i'm not usually interested in them.

That's a very good point. I don't trust the set up in store anyway, they almost always get fiddled with and isn't the 'showroom' setting designed to grab your attention? Also, when i view them in the store they're never set up side-by-side! I think it's deliberate. Still, a valid point that i will have to consider. As the Panasonic isn't yet available anyway, i'll be waiting to compare the two (and hoping for a good review to help me!).

ok, coming from a Samsung fan i would have to say go the Panasonic ^_^

from my female point of view it's easy, both tv's are good :)

but i keep saying it, look at the tvs for an extended time, the Panna is by far the prettiest one ^_^

looking at the Sammy for too long makes my tummy feel funny :(

it's going to be kind of hard to avoid looking at once you get it set up :rolleyes:

I think the Samsung is very attractive. I don't know what it is about Panasonic, but they're like the Toyota Corolla of TV styling - always a couple of years behind the competition.

Having said that, the red tinge during the day might annoy me somewhat - i like big TVs to "fade away" into the background - they're ugly by definition and the more minimal the better.

Perhaps the Samsung would look prettier on the wall, i still haven't decided if i'm going to do that.

I just bought the PS50A750 and am really happy with it.

Been using it for both Free to air digital TV and Xbox 360, and have no complaints at all.

What made you choose it over the Panasonic?

I went through the exact same thing not too long ago.........realistically , there isn't much difference in the way of PQ or a vast gap in the technologies used. I erred on the side of caution and bought the Panasonic PLASMA over the SAMSUNG purely based on the retailers experience of how many SAMSUNG sets they see returned for repair / replacement v Panasonic v SONY v PIONEER v Toshiba. To my eyes, the SAMSUNGS always look more cutting edge in their design and decor, the PQ is excellent, but their reliability is poor compared to other major manufacturers. Again, I have no hard and fast statistics to post that show numbers, but the retailer assured me that there was a huge disparity in numbers..........and they're a major SAMSUNG retailer. I think that if the SAMMY sets prove to be "more reliable" I think they'll be unbeatable.......for the time being, Panasonic / SONY will get my money every time.

I'm not a fan of Panasonic styling, but usually the boring styles 'age' better than 'in vogue' styling which tends to date quickly.

Pioneer's classic black minimalistic look should fare the best but we can't all afford one :(

..... I erred on the side of caution and bought the Panasonic PLASMA over the SAMSUNG purely based on the retailers experience of how many SAMSUNG sets they see returned for repair / replacement v Panasonic v SONY v PIONEER v Toshiba. To my eyes, the SAMSUNGS always look more cutting edge in their design and decor, the PQ is excellent, but their reliability is poor compared to other major manufacturers. Again, I have no hard and fast statistics to post that show numbers, but the retailer assured me that there was a huge disparity in numbers..........and they're a major SAMSUNG retailer....

That's exactly what a dealer at HN in Osborne Park said to me on Monday when I told him i wanted to compare a Panasonic G10 to the new Samsung B650 plasmas. He said go with Panasonic because only a small number of Pannys are returned because of faults/dissatisfaction compared to the Samsungs. At the time I thought he was saying that because Panasonic pays bigger commissions/rebates.

When a retailer suggests one brand over another I would be very suspicious of their motivation, it’s more likely then not profit.

Personally I would buy the TV that performs the best for its intended task, don’t really care much about brand or supposed reliability. 95% of products don’t fail so I’ll take my chances.

Edited by Owen

Well, today i went in and purchased the Beyonwiz i've had my eye on (DP-P2 for $729).

They had the Samsung PS50A750 for $2600 but i decided to wait for the 'G' series Panasonic and the "B" Samsung to decide. The A750 was just a tad too 'red' for me and i hadn't done enough research, read enough (any!) reviews to satisfy me. $2,500+ is a LOT of money for me - and i want to be confident i've made the right decision. The advice from the people who noted to be careful of the 'fashion statement' was useful, thankyou.

I had two guys give me conflicting information about the availability of the Panasonic - sometime in July, to sometime in September. The new Samsung was on order too - they hadn't arrived.

When a retailer suggests one brand over another I would be very suspicious of their motivation, it’s more likely then not profit.

Personally I would buy the TV that performs the best for its intended task, don’t really care much about brand or supposed reliability. 95% of products don’t fail so I’ll take my chances.

I agree with this sentiment except for brands that we know are 'iffy' - like Celesial, Teac etc. IMO, if it is in the same pricepoint, is it generally going to be of similar build quality to their competitors.

True, the no name brands just don’t perform or offer real value for money, so why bother with them unless price is your only priority.

Edited by Owen

True, the no name brands just don’t perform or offer real value for money, so why bother with them unless price is your only priority.

For some people the allure of having a flat panel screen is more attractive than a good viewing experience and budgets dictate that the cheapest is the only option.

What made you choose it over the Panasonic?

A number of things, I got it for what I thought was a great price $2500, I've owned Samsungs before (LCD's) and have been really happy with them. What reviews/ feedback i could find on the web said it was pretty good. And when i looked at one in store I was really happy with what i could see.

no regrets yet

Spammer has been reported.

Edited by Recusant