Sign in to follow this  
bertzz99

2009 Samsung Range

$2200 is the normal price here http://www.thetvstore.com.au/p/884622/sams...l-la40b650.html I would only expect it to get lower, and drop to the A series prices which were around $1900 earlier this year.

Seeing as you have the exact tv i was looking at alex, have you had a play with DVD, Blu ray etc with separate digital to a receiver ala my question?

$2200 is the normal price here http://www.thetvstore.com.au/p/884622/sams...l-la40b650.html I would only expect it to get lower, and drop to the A series prices which were around $1900 earlier this year.

Seeing as you have the exact tv i was looking at alex, have you had a play with DVD, Blu ray etc with separate digital to a receiver ala my question?

Excellent online price at least. I had seen The TV Store Website, but wanted to buy from an actual retailer, and it was the price I based my research on before going into retail shops.

The TV Store would have cost me $2195 + $235 (warranty) + $66 (delivery) = $2496, so I came out slightly ahead in price (with $400 worth of Myer One points on top of all of this).

Unfortunately I have not been able to play with a digital receiver. I've mostly been mucking around trying to get DivX/Xvid files to play over DNLA, but have only been successful when putting these files on a USB at present.

Edited by alexmck

FYI Those prices appear roughly around 15% off "retail" - ie, the effective sticker price - not neccesarily what Panasonic et al decree (by my estimates).

So aim for that if you're shopping :)

l have just found that there is in fact an 8 series of the 55" LED LCD- the UA55B8000 that features 200hz high motion capability.. This model does not show on the product finder on the Samsung site but does get a mention in the LED splash page, odd. Anyhow, from my reading this seems like the best of the best of the current models. Its around $700 extra over the equivalent 7 series. Tempted, yes l am.

Any other Sammy users that can provide some insight on these TV's?

Thanks for all the good discussion so far, l can feel my resolve weakening :blush:

Cheers,

mondie

Edited by mondie

The local dimming LED back lit 9 series held real promise, the edge lit LED back lit LDs seem to create more problems then they solve. What’s the big attraction?

The local dimming LED back lit 9 series held real promise, the edge lit LED back lit LDs seem to create more problems then they solve. What’s the big attraction?

Owen can I ask you if you've seen the 8000 55 in the flesh or are you just judging it on what you've read on the AVS Forums ?

The only reason I ask is I HAVE seen one in action and I was so impressed I ordered one. Lets just see how it stacks up to the almighty Pioneer and the Sony SXRD I own and let me tell you that both are far from perfect.

Will I have 3 top of the line dud displays time will tell.

Cheers Angelo

P.s. I've lived with the now superseded Samsung 9 series and its back where it came from with in 3 days.

I got my LA55B650 LCD delivered yesterday. I set it up where my old 52" rear projection used to be.

My sofa is about 3.5m away from the screen. My wife and I's first reaction was "This is too small"....

For 4:3 source, it's 114cm diagonal. My old TV is 132cm diagonal. Although at 16:9, it's a bit bigger.

But for a lot of stuff we watch, it's 4:3 so it just doesn't seem like an upgrade in size.

I guess I'll swap it for 58" for sure but also will find out how much 63" is just incase it's affordable.

But seeing it's RRP is $1000 more than even PS58B850, I think it might be too much. So 58" it is.

BTW, I was very impressed by the IQ of this LA55B650. I'm sometimes quite anal about IQ but I'm "happy" with how this looks in both day and night.

I've set the settings to Natural as Standard is too contrasty. Dynamic is a joke. Movie mode is fine for sources which look a bit too cool.

Blacks are black enough and there's enough detail for "majority" of nomal viewers. View from an angle does show that it whitens up and loses contrast but still watchable by any means.

I would have liked the remote control response was quicker as it can't keep up with my presses if I goa bit quick.

Motion wise, unless you have plasma right next to it, you will not notice it. I was watching NBA and Formula 1 on OneHD and couldn't really fault it at all. I tried but failed. So "good enough" I say.

Quite impressed with SD source playback quality. From 3m away, I couldn't really fault it also compared to my previous 52" Rear Projection. It didn't look that "digital" at all. Very nice.

USB movie playback is good. But if you seek a bit often, some videos does go out of sync.

It can't display korean fonts in both file names and subtitles. (for those interested in Korean)

It can display english smi subtitles just fine. Haven't tries SRT or SUB files yet.

Edited by jakiman

I got my LA55B650 LCD delivered yesterday. I set it up where my old 52" rear projection used to be.

My sofa is about 3.5m away from the screen. My wife and I's first reaction was "This is too small"....

For 4:3 source, it's 114cm diagonal. My old TV is 132cm diagonal. Although at 16:9, it's a bit bigger.

But for a lot of stuff we watch, it's 4:3 so it just doesn't seem like an upgrade in size.

I guess I'll go for 58" or find out how much 63" is.

I reckon keeping the 4:3 smaller than the cinema experience is a GOOD thing! I hate watching the news in all its full glory, the banging on Lord of the Rings to find it's half the size.

Movie size is all i care about (in terms of size).

I HAVE seen one in action and I was so impressed I ordered one.

Well that answers my previous question :)

What price and where from, if you don't mind me asking?

What exactly impressed you about it and what did you compare it too instore?

I am very interested in this TV........just not it's price :( (the handbrake doesn't want me to go over $4500 for a TV, if I got something around $4000 she would be singing and dancing i reckon)

Might have to look at a second job so i don't get yelled at ;)

{quote}

"I got my LA55B650 LCD delivered yesterday. I set it up where my old 52" rear projection used to be.

But for a lot of stuff we watch, it's 4:3 so it just doesn't seem like an upgrade in size."

I'm guessing you mean your old 52" was 4:3? A 52" 4:3 will always be bigger in 4:3 mode than a 55" 16:9 as the measurements are from the edge of the black bars on a WS tv not the edge itself for 4:3 things. Our 76cm WS is the same size as the standard 68cm 4:3 when viewing 4:3.

You would have to get at least another size up to get the same 4:3 viewing but 16:9 stuff will already be bigger. At 55cm you are already at a huge size really, you will probably get used to it pretty quickly.

Still wondering if anyone has seen any audio/video sync issues using a direct digital connection from blu ray or DVD to a receiver.....hard to beleive with so many people with these LCDs here noone has seen or not seen it....

Edited by woofy

Still wondering if anyone has seen any audio/video sync issues using a direct digital connection from blu ray or DVD to a receiver.....hard to beleive with so many people with these LCDs here noone has seen or not seen it....

I've got my PC hooked up via normal VGA cable to the LA55B650. (and optical out from PC to my AV receiver for sound) No issues here obviously.

Got my PS3 hooked up via HDMI. I haven't tried much with it but played a quick game of Wipeout HD which is 1080p game and looked excellent.

Well that answers my previous question :)

What price and where from, if you don't mind me asking?

What exactly impressed you about it and what did you compare it too instore?

I am very interested in this TV........just not it's price :( (the handbrake doesn't want me to go over $4500 for a TV, if I got something around $4000 she would be singing and dancing i reckon)

Might have to look at a second job so i don't get yelled at ;)

The hand brake wins or you need a second job. :lol: The second part of your question is one that would take ages to answer but Ill put a detailed review as soon as I get it.

My friend bought a 46B6000 LED for $3400 yesterday My LA55B650 only cost $300 more. I would prefer 55inch anyday.

But he did want a really thin/light one for his bedroom wall. So I guess it met his criteria.

In all seriousness, I don't see a huge enough difference between non-LED and LED LCD's to justify the price difference.

Non-LED looked as good as LED model and was hard to differentiate when I saw it side-by-side. Such subtle difference.

Anyways. Unless you got money to splash or want something fancy over real value, get the non-LED model I say.

(Someone did a calculation, the electricity bill you save is so little that you need about 10-20 years to cover the cost difference)

Ahh... Oh well. It all don't matter. I'm going to get my LA55B650 swapped out for thwe cheaper PS58B550 plasma anyways. =P

My friend bought a 46B6000 LED for $3400 yesterday My LA55B650 only cost $300 more. I would prefer 55inch anyday.

But he did want a really thin/light one for his bedroom wall. So I guess it met his criteria.

In all seriousness, I don't see a huge enough difference between non-LED and LED LCD's to justify the price difference.

Non-LED looked as good as LED model and was hard to differentiate when I saw it side-by-side. Such subtle difference.

Anyways. Unless you got money to splash or want something fancy over real value, get the non-LED model I say.

(Someone did a calculation, the electricity bill you save is so little that you need about 10-20 years to cover the cost difference)

Ahh... Oh well. It all don't matter. I'm going to get my LA55B650 swapped out for thwe cheaper PS58B550 plasma anyways. =P

how the stores set up the display models will make a big difference for average buyers....i was in myer on the weekend and they had a 46B6000 and a 46B650 on display, the 6000 looked absolutely stunning while the b650 looked quite average. The difference was massive even though in reality, the difference is not that large

how the stores set up the display models will make a big difference for average buyers....i was in myer on the weekend and they had a 46B6000 and a 46B650 on display, the 6000 looked absolutely stunning while the b650 looked quite average. The difference was massive even though in reality, the difference is not that large

Yup. If someone calibratd or just simply setup both simlarly, I doubt you will complain or care much about the differences. (or lack there of)

Most average people just go "wow, look how bright it is and how the colors pop out!". But at home, no one watches it that blindingly bright.

Most average people just go "wow, look how bright it is and how the colors pop out!". But at home, no one watches it that blindingly bright.

spot on mate...it is also the reason why many people complain of headaches :)

Owen can I ask you if you've seen the 8000 55 in the flesh or are you just judging it on what you've read on the AVS Forums ?

The only reason I ask is I HAVE seen one in action and I was so impressed I ordered one. Lets just see how it stacks up to the almighty Pioneer and the Sony SXRD I own and let me tell you that both are far from perfect.

Will I have 3 top of the line dud displays time will tell.

Cheers Angelo

P.s. I've lived with the now superseded Samsung 9 series and its back where it came from with in 3 days.

Gday mate, I have seen several edge lit Samsung “LED” models but I did not take note of the model numbers so I can’t say if the 8000 was one of them. The LED back lighting is obviously brighter then the already over bright cold cathode lamp illuminated models and black levels where correspondingly higher to match, as one would expect. The dynamic operation of the LED back lighting is reportedly distraction under certain circumstances but the video source in use where I viewed was not going to show that sort of problem up.

Unless the extra brightness is required for a super bright viewing environment I fail to see how the edge lit LED back lit models are a better option then the conventional LCD models.

Sonys high end RGB local dimming LED models are obviously much better to my eyes and I am surprised you would choose a Samsung edge lit model over the XBR45 Sony’s. The Samsung 9 series was never in the same class.

hey guys..

just reporting on my 40B650 in case anyone wanna know

got mine in JB Melbourne City

the final price was 2211(tv) + 189 (2 yr warranty) + $50 delivery

thinking about it maybe i should have gone the 5 year warranty.. but oh well

now just waiting for delivery...

Samsung edge lit model over the XBR45 Sony’s.

So was I Owen :o . The XBR45 IMHO doesn't even come close to my SXRD so why bother and we wont talk about the price difference either. The XBR45 just doesn't do a single thing for me. How ever the 8000 is a 200 hertz machine and its totally different to the 7000 and 6000 series. Its also not as thin (which by the way I don't understand why people think its one of its main strengths .."hey come and look how thin my LCD screen is" :blink: )

It took me by surprise on how every good the PQ was . I really wanted a 60 or 70 inch screen to replace my old trusty Fuji. But there's my problem what comes close to the 70 SXRD ? Nothing unless I wanted to spend around $10,000 and it still would be a let down.

Thats when I tripped over the 8000 the 55inch is just big enough and wow the PQ is fantastic. No one has the 8000 on show in Australia just yet.

If your ever in Adelaide give me a buzz as ( Ill have it calibrated by then ), I think you'll be surprised when you see it.

Having said that time will tell how long it actually survives at my place.

Cheers Angelo

Has anyone got a Wireless USB stick to work with the 2009 models, or do you need the specific Samsung ones?

I haven't seen any Samsung Wireless USB's in Australia, as they only appear available in the US. Do these ones from the US work with the Australian models?

Bought a LA40B650 yesterday and would love to access DNLA servers without having to have the blue cord plugged in.

I have spoken to the guys @ www.digitalcentre.com.au and they should be receiving their first deliveries of the wireless USB dongles in the next couple days. Give

them a call. Keen to know how it all works.

Cheers

So was I Owen :o . The XBR45 IMHO doesn't even come close to my SXRD so why bother and we wont talk about the price difference either. The XBR45 just doesn't do a single thing for me. How ever the 8000 is a 200 hertz machine and its totally different to the 7000 and 6000 series. Its also not as thin (which by the way I don't understand why people think its one of its main strengths .."hey come and look how thin my LCD screen is" :blink: )

It took me by surprise on how every good the PQ was . I really wanted a 60 or 70 inch screen to replace my old trusty Fuji. But there's my problem what comes close to the 70 SXRD ? Nothing unless I wanted to spend around $10,000 and it still would be a let down.

Thats when I tripped over the 8000 the 55inch is just big enough and wow the PQ is fantastic. No one has the 8000 on show in Australia just yet.

If your ever in Adelaide give me a buzz as ( Ill have it calibrated by then ), I think you'll be surprised when you see it.

Having said that time will tell how long it actually survives at my place.

Cheers Angelo

Cool, I’ll keep a look out for the 8000. There is a Samsung only retailer local to me that gets new Samsung models long before regular retailers, they got the 70” Sammy LCD not long after its world release, it’s not bad either.

Edited by Owen

Cool, I’ll keep a look out for the 8000. There is a Samsung only retailer local to me that gets new Samsung models long before regular retailers, they got the 70” Sammy LCD not long after its world release, it’s not bad either.

Yep there's only one thing wrong with it the $25k price tag ! :blink:

Yep, but it does include a built in Windows PC!

Also hear it is from their commercial range, not domestic model. No TV tuner/speakers.

I just shelled out quite a bit more then that on a Ducati super bike, so my 2009 toy budget is blown. :D

Maybe there will be a BIG TV worth replacing the 70” SXRD with in 2010. :rolleyes:

Edited by Owen