Sign in to follow this  
bertzz99

2009 Samsung Range

Thanks Jakiman!

i'll be sure to check out the retail stores, i had found the specs of the TV and yep its really something suitable for just my room.

Cheers

Johannes - You need to buy a Samsung wireless dongle separately for wireless DLNA capability. Onc eyou get that, you can stream videos straight off your PC to the TV and TV will actually do the decoding for all the format that it supports. As long as you can get a stable and constant 25Mbps+ wireless connection, you can play pretty much most video files without any issues. (Even HD video files you download off the internet in the format of WMV or MKV/AVI)

Recusant - My wireless router was 15m away from the TV/PS3 with a few concrete walls inbetween. Hence reception was very bad with standard antennas. I could only get around 10Mbps at best and it wasn't stable and sometimes would cut off. Also, even if it was stable 20Mbps, it's MUCH slower when seeking forward or backwards while playing compared to a 100Mbps ethernet. Hence I wired up my house with a 30m Cat6 cable under the carpet.

thanks all for the advice. it makes me feel better about my purchase.

tv come thursday morning so 3 more sleeps! cant wait! ive suffered too long with my sony trinitron 68cm.

i still have more questions.

first im gonna try and see how the quality is when playing off harddrive. if i wanted to rip my dvds onto computer...waht is the best program to do that and what type of files

playstation 3 or blue ray (for my situation. playing games is not a priority but interested in playing off harddrive and video and audio quality are the most important)

if blue ray...i still have ot decide which blu ray

Where did you get this from, and in what State?

I've ordered mine through JB Hi-Fi (Cannington, WA) over 2 weeks ago and nothing yet. :(

Hi Cameron and sorry for the late reply.

I got it from Harvey Norman S.A city store. It is basically around $50 above cost price. Beautiful t.v. My next goal is to set up streaming from my PC wirelessly.

thanks all for the advice. it makes me feel better about my purchase.

tv come thursday morning so 3 more sleeps! cant wait! ive suffered too long with my sony trinitron 68cm.

That's some upgrade :) My upgrade is from some no-name 68cm CRT!

i still have more questions.

first im gonna try and see how the quality is when playing off harddrive. if i wanted to rip my dvds onto computer...waht is the best program to do that and what type of files

if blue ray...i still have ot decide which blu ray

I don't know about rippers, i've never liked the idea - especially as you're now going to be spoiled with true HD - a 700mb file is going to look pretty average! "DVD Shrink" will rip to HDD - but retain the full DVD size/quality/features. Don't know how it would work on the TV though.

The Panasonic BD60 seems the best budget bluray player - several reviews say so.

Edited by Recusant

That's some upgrade :) My upgrade is from some no-name 68cm CRT!

51cm bubble --> 116cm lcd, coming soon, to a lounge room near me

:D

Anyone seen the PS58B550 in stores yet ? Got to be close now !

I saw one on the weekend at the Good Guys in Norlunga SA.

Looked very average to me. Lots of artifacts on the picture. No worse or better than the LCD's in that department. I am sure you would get it looking better at home.

One thing I did notice is that it uses almost double the power to run the thing compared to the 55b650 lcd.

If that is a concern then the lcd is the way to go.

Anyone seen the PS58B550 in stores yet ? Got to be close now !

Mine is at my local Harvey Norman. Just gotta organise delivery.

I saw one on the weekend at the Good Guys in Norlunga SA.

Looked very average to me. Lots of artifacts on the picture. No worse or better than the LCD's in that department. I am sure you would get it looking better at home.

One thing I did notice is that it uses almost double the power to run the thing compared to the 55b650 lcd.

If that is a concern then the lcd is the way to go.

Hi Daywalker,

Where did u see the power is almost double for the plasma compared to the LCD? I've checked the Samsung website and it says both use 250w. I've also seen an article suggest the plasma uses as low as 210w once calibrated.

Also what price have people been getting for the ps58b550?

Cheers

AB

i received the 63b680 this morning, can't wait to set it up tonight.

Lucky thing! :D

It would be much appreciated if you could post some detailed impressions when you get the chance. I know you might be preoccupied for a while though hehe.

Can I ask how much you ended up paying for it & from whom you bought it?

Many thanks! Enjoy!

Hi Daywalker,

Where did u see the power is almost double for the plasma compared to the LCD? I've checked the Samsung website and it says both use 250w. I've also seen an article suggest the plasma uses as low as 210w once calibrated.

Also what price have people been getting for the ps58b550?

Cheers

AB

I saw it on the star rating sticker they are putting on the panels now.

The 55" lcd rated 5 1/2 stars and the plasma 2 1/2 stars.

I was suprised myself. I may have been mistaken it has happened before. :P

I saw it on the star rating sticker they are putting on the panels now.

The 55" lcd rated 5 1/2 stars and the plasma 2 1/2 stars.

I was suprised myself. I may have been mistaken it has happened before. :P

In real life use, 50" non-LED LCD uses around 150Watts. (LED uses aorund 100Watts)

Current 50" Plasma's use around 200Watts.

55" LCD uses around 200-250Watts

58" Plasma uses around 300-350Watts.

But seriously, 100W vs 200W over a year is like $20-40 a year difference in electrical bills.

Let us know what you think of it afterwards. It should be impressive.

how much you pick it for armbarftw? did you get an additionaly 5 year warranty?

Just got my 58B550 delivered, and set up.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :(

What are you saying Smoky ?????

Reputedly not that uncommon an issue with the Samsung - Buzz.

They seem to have an issue with making noise.

So is there a solution to the problem as i hope to buy this TV down the track ?

So is there a solution to the problem as i hope to buy this TV down the track ?

Apparently there is no solution yet:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1144869

It's russian roulette with this TV. I have to say, the buzz was pretty loud last night, but I can't hear it today. I'll leave it another day or so before I decide what to do with it.

Apparently there is no solution yet:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1144869

It's russian roulette with this TV. I have to say, the buzz was pretty loud last night, but I can't hear it today. I'll leave it another day or so before I decide what to do with it.

Any comments about the picture quality or speakers?

Can you keep it for at least until you watch a game of football on it?

I'm getting my PS58B850 delivered next monday. Can't wait!!!!

I've got about 4 friends who got Sammy plasmas. (last year's Series 6 and 7's)

I didn't notice any buzzing sound in any of them while even watching at low volume.

So I hope it's the same for my new plasma. =)

received my LA46B750 this morning. freaking awesome...cant believe what i have been missiing out on.

me and wife took day off and bought a new tv cabinet...blue ray player tonight.

any suggestions/opinions on samsung BD1600(i think thats the model no) and the sony 550/350 series???

want to play blu ray (dun) and DVDS (including burnt ones...+ format...if not no biggie) and must be multi region.

wife is in shopping mood so please suggestions asap before she changes her mind!

Let us know what you think of it afterwards. It should be impressive.

I'm no home theatre buff coming off a 68cm panasonic crt but the PQ is quite impressive. Need a bit of fiddling with the settings which doesn't take long to get an amazing picture. Blacks are deep and colour is great.There is a setting to change deepness of blacks forgot what its called, also a few other additional ones that vary from the normal contrast/brightness etcetc.

There are preset picture settings such as movie, standard etc which you can change to and from depending on what and when you watch. These settings can be changed to your preference. Sound isn't that bad but obviously will be looking for a home theatre system now. Other great thing is the features. It has DLNA and internet tv. However i cannot try as i don't have that usb wirless adaptor. TV also has its own content for cooking, health and other stuff for kids which i haven't checked out yet. It also doesn't come with a coax cable for tv. Best feature though is the usb. I've only tested avi's so far, which look average on the computer but amazing on the samsung. Overall it is excellent.

how much you pick it for armbarftw? did you get an additionaly 5 year warranty?

I got it for $5700 from good guys. Warranty was quite expensive at $700.