2009 Samsung Range

Hello Guys

I tried to start a new topic but was unable to.

I am looking at buying a LCD for my parents to say thanks for everything and i was looking at the samsung LA40B530. My local Bing lee have it at 1590 and the salesman i spoke to said he could do it for 1550 with a 5 year extended warranty.

My question is, is this a good deal

Thanks in advance for the replies

cheers denks

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, just joined the forum and thought I'd ask a fairly silly question - after looking at the Samsung range of plasmas (5, 6 and 8 series 50" and 58"), I noticed that the 7 series LCD seemed to look smoother and more vibrant than the plasmas. Why is this so? After lurking through these forums for a while I was under the impression that plasma was the way to go?

Can I ask about using a Samsung plasma as a pc monitor?

When I buy a panel I'm going to hook it up to a HTPC and have a cordless keyboard and mouse on the coffee table for it.

A guy at JB-Hifi said plasmas shouldn't be used as a pc monitor because they have a small amount of overscan and the text isn't as sharp as on an LCD hdtv.

Was he right about that?

Edited by Geforce

Hi All,

Long time reader first time poster B)

I just put a deposit on the Sammy 40 inch 750B. Retervision had a special last weekend on the 7 series range. 40 $1,999 46 $2,700 & 52 $3200 i think

anyway we went to the Good Guys and they matched the price (wife likes to shop at Good Guys)

Will be picking the Sammy up this Thursday. I havent read all the posts here so are there any settings that anyone could send my way. Cant wait to get the Sammy up and running.

By the way thanks for all the posts that i have read in this forum. It helped me decide which brand to purchase.

:D

Hi all, just joined the forum and thought I'd ask a fairly silly question - after looking at the Samsung range of plasmas (5, 6 and 8 series 50" and 58"), I noticed that the 7 series LCD seemed to look smoother and more vibrant than the plasmas. Why is this so? After lurking through these forums for a while I was under the impression that plasma was the way to go?

Smoother because of LCD motion blur, more vibrant due to either more oversaturated colour or extra brightness, or both.

It all depends on what you want or like, I suspect that if you saw an accurate picture you would not find it attractive, most people prefer over bright over colourful pictures and that why LCD’s are popular.

Is there a significance difference in PQ between the different panels?

Unfortunately there is, but, whether one is able to perceive this is another matter.

B750 will have blacks that are deeper than the B650 which have a very very dark navy blue as blacks, and will have slightly less motion blur (a 2ms panel vs a 4ms panel)

Having said this, unless you are a super keen eye and watch all your tv at night in pitch black you wont be able to notice.

Oh and the B750 is slightly better on viewing angles, dont get me started on the angles on the B650

Also, the B750 is 400-500 more than the B650. IMO the amount of PQ u gain is disproportionate to the extra you pay. The difference between Samsung and non Samsung panels has reduced since earlier times

Edited by Rajat

Unfortunately there is, but, whether one is able to perceive this is another matter.

B750 will have blacks that are deeper than the B650 which have a very very dark navy blue as blacks, and will have slightly less motion blur (a 2ms panel vs a 4ms panel)

Having said this, unless you are a super keen eye and watch all your tv at night in pitch black you wont be able to notice.

Oh and the B750 is slightly better on viewing angles, dont get me started on the angles on the B650

Also, the B750 is 400-500 more than the B650. IMO the amount of PQ u gain is disproportionate to the extra you pay. The difference between Samsung and non Samsung panels has reduced since earlier times

The B750 has the ability to use INTERNET@TV through a wireless dongle also. Which to me, sounds good, and I cant wait to try it, but for some reason I cant see this lasting long, and samsung, who are notorious for promising stuff they cant deliver will probably stop it in future models.

The B750 has the ability to use INTERNET@TV through a wireless dongle also. Which to me, sounds good, and I cant wait to try it, but for some reason I cant see this lasting long, and samsung, who are notorious for promising stuff they cant deliver will probably stop it in future models.

Are you saying the B650 cannot do it over wireless? Mine does it all through its wired connection no problems at all. Admittedly, I dont have a wireless adapter to try with

• 2 weeks later...

My Samsung LA55B650 Story So Far...

Last friday night, after work I ducked into the Moon and Sixpence (Perth Pub) with a few friends and started consuming pints of Guinness (as you do). As the evening continued the conversation turned to tv's... blah... blah ... more pints...

Anyway, ended up in Myers with more pints under my belt than I should have, buying a television (as you do...?). I settled on the Samsung LA55B650 handed over the card, paid the $3600 inc delivery, organised delivery for wednesday. I wonder what the law on selling av equipment to slightly intoxicated people is. Woke at about 2am that night thinking ..'did i buy a telly...?'. My Girlfriend assures me that I did.

Was beside myself with excitement all week. Wednesday came and went, no call from myers delivery so at about 3:30pm I called them, they had tried to deliver the TV but no one was home, and they didnt have my number. Not sure who to blame here but another days wait...

So yesterday lunchtime i got the call, ducked home and got the telly inside. Crikey it comes in a huge box! Pulled the top off the box plugged the aerial in the back and powered it up, ran the auto tune. All seems to be working fine. Sweet. Watched about 15 minutes of Ellen Degenerate, but managed to resist the urge to spend the whole afternoon watching day-time television and headed back to work all smiles.

Got home in the evening and started playing in earnest, checking all the menus, learing new recipes... (what the heck is that for anyway), checked out the impressionist art, then settled down to watch the cricket.

Then I started seeing the flicker... what the hell!

The left side of the screen flickers on certain scenes, just about exactly half of the screen. Really noticeable. *curses*. Tried a dvd and all appears fine, tried moving the amp, speakers, stb, et al, still flickering of certain scenes, especially with lots of white on the screen. That new quiz show on sbs was unwatchable without going into epileptic convulsions!

Played with all the settings, and just couldn’t stop it flickering on the left side.

I left the tv on all night hoping a bit of use might settle it down. Had a sleepless night. woke up thinking i'll try the SD stb, so was back playing with the bloody thing at 6am (was still flickering btw). Hooked up the SD stb and all works fine, no flickering. Checked the signal strengths... all pretty good at about 90 (what ever that number means). So still at a complete loss as to what it could be.

Rang myers, to see if they had any bright ideas. And they agreed it sounded suspect. So they're deliveing a new one on monday. Fingers crossed the new one will be better.

Anybody have any other ideas as to what this might be?

Jim

Has anyone ordered and received a UA55B6000 LED? I ordered my on 30-Jun from Digital Centre but still waiting for delivery. They can't give a firm delivery date either. I saw some posts where people actually got the 7000 series already so what the hold up with the 6000 series? I rang Samsung sale and they said probably end on July :angry:

:angry:

I also purchased a 55" 6000 series from Digital Centre (DC) on 14/7/09 and still have not received it. Payment was made in full which adds to the frustration. Over the many calls I made to them, no one could give me an ETA. So I rang Samsung direct and they indicated they don't supply DC direct so DC must use a wholesaler. They said all orders have been filled up to late July - so where is mine? Still waiting on response from DC. Samsung said next shipment due in 2 weeks.

What gripes me is that if i can get info on delivery shipments, why can't DC.

Ringing a munufacturer to find out info is not good customer relations for DC.

I hope to get it before it is superseded!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I managed to turn the auto dimming feature off on my 8 series LED 46" via the service menu. However, I decided I'd prefer to turn it back on. The small amount of lighting on black screens bugs me more than the auto dimming "feature".

Problem is, when I go into the system menu to do it...it a) doesn't activate even though I've turned it back on OR B) on the 2 or 3 occasions it has activated after around 50 attempts - it lasts on that setting for a day or two and reverts back to it being off.

It's damn annoying. I wish I'd never done it in the first place. Any ideas on how to get it back on permanently?. Anyone else have the same experience?. What a factory reset in the system menu be wise?.

Thanks in advance.

Purchased a Samsung PS50B850 from GoodGuys in Maribyrnong today.

$3250 inc 5 yr warranty.

Set price on receipt was $2821!

will review in a week or so...

Just ordered one today from Pannells Maroochydore for $3000 delivered with standard warranty...not quite as good but best I could do here. Samsung have none so waiting on shipment.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering buying the LA37B650 (HN $1600).

What does the usb support on the Samsungs? Very little info on the Samsung site. What formats can be played and what drive capacity limits are there. Does it support a usb powered 500gb 2.5" external harddisk or a 1tb drive externally powered? Does it show a simple folder listing of files on the drive?

Does it make a wd media player redundant?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck on deciding between the LA46B650 or the PS50B650.

Both are 6 series obviously, so similar features. Both are also eligible for the bonus 22" LCD TV campaign.

LCD vs Plasma

46" vs 50"

$2399 vs $2160

$179 vs $249 for an extra 2yrs warranty

The room it will be situated in does not have any direct light.

TV will be used for:

• Watching movies and some sport,
  • PS3 gaming, blu-ray and DVD movie playback;
  • and perhaps a Wii at some stage.

I know a little bit about LCD vs Plasma, but thought this forum would be able to explain it better/more pragmatic terms.

I'm stuck on deciding between the LA46B650 or the PS50B650.

Both are 6 series obviously, so similar features. Both are also eligible for the bonus 22" LCD TV campaign.

LCD vs Plasma

46" vs 50"

$2399 vs $2160

$179 vs $249 for an extra 2yrs warranty

The room it will be situated in does not have any direct light.

TV will be used for:

• Watching movies and some sport,
  • PS3 gaming, blu-ray and DVD movie playback;
  • and perhaps a Wii at some stage.

I know a little bit about LCD vs Plasma, but thought this forum would be able to explain it better/more pragmatic terms.

So the purchase price is the same as are the accessories. All you are thinking about is the real estate, picture quality and running costs I presume.

I think you'll find in this forum - size is pretty much everything. If you can squeeze it in the room then go for it.

PQ is also in the eye of the beholder - I have the plasma and (even un-tweaked) I am unable to fault it in the pq stakes. One HD, even 10's standard def sport is great as long as you don't try to watch it with your nose up against the screen. In fact nothing I have seen on the screen in the way of pq has given me doubt about my decision. Upscaled DVD with a pretty cruddy player is impressive enough. I have no doubt a BR will be spectacular when I get it. Unfortunately I haven't experienced the 46" LCD so I can't give you a comparison.

The biggest downside for the plasma as far as I am concerned is they can chew through a few of your carbon credits (if you haven't already sold them for a bunch of fluoros). I run mine on eco mode (in a reasonably dark room) which supposedly slows the juice consumption. But if you like to promote yourself as having green credentials and don't want to get slagged off at your next dinner party (post Copenhagen) when you boast about your new panel then maybe go for the LCD. In fact make a 22 incher!

My thoughts.

So I am looking at getting a TV, and I think I will go LED for energy saving, anything that I need to be aware of pitfalls etc with LED... I am coming from an old widescreen CRT so I may not be up with viewing angle issue or lighting problems, anyone care to fill me in if any?

I am trying to decide between;

Series 6 46in

Series 7 46in

7 has the ++ of being LAN connected, I assume that means you can play divx or something over LAN? That would be a nice feature for me. Any limitations on this?

The promotion where it comes with another smaller TV is a plus, so I figured I would jump in and get a new TV to replace my older CRTs....