2009 Samsung Range

I just shelled out quite a bit more then that on a Ducati super bike, so my 2009 toy budget is blown. :D

Maybe there will be a BIG TV worth replacing the 70” SXRD with in 2010. :rolleyes:

Great minds kinda think a like. Only I just bought a Honda VT-400 as I've just gotten my bike learners(when I grow up though I wonna be just like you :winky: ). One can only hope for 2010.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped into Melbourne Myer CBD store tonight.

Enquired about the 50" 6 series plasma. Sales assistant showed me on his computer that 20 units are scheduled to arrive on Friday 26th June.

Advised they would probably be on display the following Monday.

Also asked about the price - he punched some numbers into his calculator and said around $2800.

I had noticed the computer price was $3299.

Dropped into Melbourne Myer CBD store tonight.

Enquired about the 50" 6 series plasma. Sales assistant showed me on his computer that 20 units are scheduled to arrive on Friday 26th June.

Advised they would probably be on display the following Monday.

Also asked about the price - he punched some numbers into his calculator and said around $2800.

I had noticed the computer price was $3299.

Myer has 15% off until the end of June - so if it has a 'retail' of $3299 you should get it for less than $2800! (if you're quick)

Guest ashcoops1

I have an opporunity to pick up a display stock Series 9 Samsung 55" A950 for $4200.

Whats the opinions on the difference to the 55" 8000 series LED.

Picture quality is my main concern and Internet connectivity and computer hook-up from time-to time

- Size doesn't worry me – knowing the A950 is much bigger

- Nor does not having wireless as I have ethernet already wired to the location.

Any other missing features in the A950 I should be worried about ?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

120 hz doesnt exist here. We use 100 hz. I have mine set to 1080/24p and notice no jittering. Be aware that 100 hz will create an almost un-natural look to the image.

What does Samsung call their "1080/24p" mode?

Is it called "film mode"?

I'm looking at their 50" plasma too, PS50B550 but deem 1080/24p as an important feature.

Am i right in assuming so?

Otherwise there will still be some judder, is that correct?

I have an opporunity to pick up a display stock Series 9 Samsung 55" A950 for $4200.

Picture quality is my main concern and Internet connectivity and computer hook-up from time-to time

- Nor does not having wireless as I have ethernet already wired to the location.

from all the reviews i have read.....the A950 should have a slightly better picture wise since it uses full LED backlighting compared to the edge LED backlighting used in the 6000/7000/8000 series

both TV's looked stunning to me and i really could not see that much difference....you are getting much better value for money though consdering you pay $4200 for the A950 vs around $5500+? for the B8000

only concern i would have is that it is display stock......i am not sure how this affects LCD's

Edited by jey16

Guest ashcoops1
only concern i would have is that it is display stock......i am not sure how this affects LCD's

I am getting 3+2=5yrs warranty for the $4200, which gives me some confidence. but share your concern.

Also, am I missing much without Movies2.0 or is it called somethingelse on the A950 ?

Is the A950 able to connect to the same internet content as the updated models?

I lived with the old Series 9 for 3 days and it when back. I've ordered the 8000 however they haven't been released in Australia yet.

I was lucky enough to see one in action hence that's why I made the decision. To me its all about picture quality all the other bells and whistles are just a waist of time.

The only thing the old series 9 has over the 8000 is sound quality, the 8000 sounds like an old transistor radio from 20 years ago.

I am getting 3+2=5yrs warranty for the $4200, which gives me some confidence. but share your concern.

Also, am I missing much without Movies2.0 or is it called somethingelse on the A950 ?

Is the A950 able to connect to the same internet content as the updated models?

with a 5 year warranty, i would not be worried that much......another thing to take into consideration is that you will only get 1 year warranty standard with the B8000 so you will need to spend an extra few hundred to get a decent warranty

i really dont know about the internet conectivity with these TV's so you will probably have to investiagte that further

one point though, the A950 comes with 100hz motion plus while based on the US specs, the B8000 should come with 200hz motion plus......not sure how much of a difference this will make

Looks good but the audio still sucks on the Sammys. What's up with Samsung sticking crappy speakers on a high end panel?

I wouldn't want to turn the 5.1 on just to watch the news or a soap.

The panels are so thin than there is so space, and second is the loud sounds can actually rattle the whole panel because there is very little weight to the panels. One person can move the panels around the home (if you really need to ) without breaking sweat. It's only 27kg.

Hi Guys

I am looking at a new 50 inch plasma, porbably samsung, does not have to anything to flash as its only for the family room, but I want full HD and prob 50 inch. I have been quoted $2290 for the PS50B550, what prices have other sgot for this? I have also seen advertised by Retravision in Perth the old series "A" 50 inch full HD for $2190 (I thiink) so with a bit of haggling should be able to get that well below $2000, would that be a more worthwhile, is there alot of difference between the 2 series? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

HI,

I just read thru this link and yes its helpful but Ive still got some questions about my HT setup.

My Stuff

Samsung series 6 LED 55" UA55B6000

Yamaha RX-565 AV reciever

Pioneer DV-410 DVD player

I want to set up the system

1. So I can watch the TV with or without the surround sound

2. So I can watch the DVD with or without the surround sound.

3.If I wanted to set up the DVD so it only played thru the reciever/surround, do I just connect HDMI out on DVD to HDMI in on the reciever?

I have diagrams of the connections for all the units but dont know how to attach files to my post. If anyone could tell me how I'll add them in.

Any help would be apprecieted

THANKS.

HI,

I just read thru this link and yes its helpful but Ive still got some questions about my HT setup.

My Stuff

Samsung series 6 LED 55" UA55B6000

Yamaha RX-565 AV reciever

Pioneer DV-410 DVD player

I want to set up the system

1. So I can watch the TV with or without the surround sound

2. So I can watch the DVD with or without the surround sound.

3.If I wanted to set up the DVD so it only played thru the reciever/surround, do I just connect HDMI out on DVD to HDMI in on the reciever?

I have diagrams of the connections for all the units but dont know how to attach files to my post. If anyone could tell me how I'll add them in.

Any help would be apprecieted

do you have everything (Audio & Video) going through the reciever? or do you have some going direct to the TV?

THANKS.

do you have everything doing through the reciever or some connected directly to the TV

Edited by jey16

Hi Tomee,

How do you find the built in speakers, is the sound as bad as l have read elsewhere?

Cheers,

mondie

the sound is ok, not great.

but all i use it for is the TV, everything else goes through the av

Guest Hullybokka

Hi Guys I was wondering if someone could help me.

I am looking for a 42inch plasma for my apartment. I would be sitting about 2.7m from the screen. I wanted to get a 50inch but I think it might be too big and ill be too big to the screen.

What is the best value for money high definition plasma I could get? I would be hoping to spend less than $1500.00 is possible. The cheaper the better but not sacrificing too much on quality.

Any suggestions?????

the sound is ok, not great.

but all i use it for is the TV, everything else goes through the av

Hi Tomee

Have you tried the 200mhz feature whilst watching sports yet and if so does it really make much of a difference.

I'd be interested to hear how foxtel SD appears on the tv as well.

I'm basically set on the 46" series 7 200hz LCD as well but am still concerned about sports.

Did you consider the series 8 at all and if so why did you decide on the series 7 instead?

Thanks in advance

M

Guest ashcoops1
I lived with the old Series 9 for 3 days and it when back.

Is it really that bad ?

I am after a good quality picture for Standard def TV including sports like cricket, football etc. From what I have been reading, it might not be up to scratch ?

Haven't jumped either way yet, but the A950 decision needs to be made up by tomorrow.

Edited by ashcoops1

Is it really that bad ?

I am after a good quality picture for Standard def TV including sports like cricket, football etc. From what I have been reading, it might not be up to scratch ?

Haven't jumped either way yet, but the A950 decision needs to be made up by tomorrow.

Dont get me wrong. The A950 is a great tv only Im a fussy bastard. Put it this way in say 7 years Ive bought over 22 tv,s and havent really liked any of them. :wacko:

Hi Tomee

Have you tried the 200mhz feature whilst watching sports yet and if so does it really make much of a difference.

I'd be interested to hear how foxtel SD appears on the tv as well.

I'm basically set on the 46" series 7 200hz LCD as well but am still concerned about sports.

Did you consider the series 8 at all and if so why did you decide on the series 7 instead?

Thanks in advance

M

hey, to be hoenst, i noticed it while watching one HD AFL, there was ghosting around some players. but this was before i changed the option to smooth i think, and i havnt noticed it since.