2009 Samsung Range

Conventional and LED edge lit LCD’s have a native contrast ratio of around 2000:1, the only time you will get good black is with an all black screen when the back light can dim or turn off. If there is an actual picture displayed they cannot come even close to the 9000:1 contrast ratio or black level of a G8 Kuro, let alone the 30,000:1 plus of the G9.

Samsung’s Plasmas easily outperform their LCD’s.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a Samsung 6 Series 55" LCD (LA55B650) with my insurance settlement and it is superb. :)

Congrats! I ordered mine two weeks ago, expecting it to arrive on the 4th but it's now been put back to the 16th :( Apparently thats when the first ones will arrive.

How / where did you get yours and if I can be so bold as to ask, how much did you pay? :)

Congrats! I ordered mine two weeks ago, expecting it to arrive on the 4th but it's now been put back to the 16th :( Apparently thats when the first ones will arrive.

How / where did you get yours and if I can be so bold as to ask, how much did you pay? :)

How much and where did you get yours also, Epal?

How much and where did you get yours also, Epal?

thetvstore.com.au, $4195.

Tried the local JB in Prahran but the best they could manage was ~$4600. Hard for them to compete with Internet pricing when you've got overheads...

Edited by EpaL

Anyone know some good picture settings for the series 6 b650?

It's driving me nuts, I've probably spent a few hours configuring some settings but I'm still not 100% pleased.I tried some settings off the CNET website for a similar tv and the resulting picture looked crap!

So yeah, please share your settings.

I'm using the PS3, have 24fps selected for blu ray, and have RGB full range on full in the display settings of the PS3.

thetvstore.com.au, $4195.

Tried the local JB in Prahran but the best they could manage was ~$4600. Hard for them to compete with Internet pricing when you've got overheads...

I was quoted $4100 at Binglee for LA55B650 few days ago. (He said he could go a bit lower possibly)

But I was quoted $3700 for it at Myer delivered. Yes. LA55B650. It's getting delivered coming tuesday. =)

It was either this or the PS58B550 plasma for same price. Not sure which is a better choice still.

Edited by jakiman

Guys,

Thanks for the comments on the Samsungs, l think l am leaning towards the LED LCD due to the looks and thinness. l doubt l would really notice the difference in PQ. Now l just need to work out the difference between the 6,7 and 8 series. Samsung seem to have so many different versions of essentially the same set :unsure:

Cheers,

mondie

Guys,

Thanks for the comments on the Samsungs, l think l am leaning towards the LED LCD due to the looks and thinness. l doubt l would really notice the difference in PQ. Now l just need to work out the difference between the 6,7 and 8 series. Samsung seem to have so many different versions of essentially the same set :unsure:

Cheers,

mondie

From what I can gather:

Series 6

100hz, no "Media 2.0" (DLNA, Internet TV, Content Library)

Series 7

100hz, Media 2.0 (DLNA, Internet TV, Content Library)

Series 8

200hz, Media 2.0 (DLNA, Internet TV, Content Library)

Edited by EpaL

I was quoted $4100 at Binglee for LA55B650 few days ago. (He said he could go a bit lower possibly)

But I was quoted $3700 for it at Myer delivered. Yes. LA55B650. It's getting delivered coming tuesday. =)

It was either this or the PS58B550 plasma for same price. Not sure which is a better choice still.

I would go the PS58B550 without doubt. The PS58B650 is an even better option if you can afford a little more.

Edited by Owen

I would go the PS58B550 without doubt. The PS58B650 is an even better option if you can afford a little more.

Thanks Owen. Then I will go with the PS58B550 when they get it in stock to swap out the LA55B650 that I'll enjoy using till then. =)

Do you think it is worth an extra $700 or so for the PS58B850 instead of the PS58B550? (I can get it for around $4500, is this good?)

Will I notice a big enough difference in IQ to warrant that much money? (I know about media2.0, wlan, thin design which I don't need)

Also, I do not see PS58B650 even in Samsung Oz website. Myer only told me they can get PS58B550 and PS58B850 also. Is it still available?

Edited by jakiman

The B850-860 is all about features and stile not added performance. The B650 line is cheaper and just as good picture wise, you are not paying for useless fluff.

We may not get a 58” in a B650, which is unfortunate as it’s the one to get as far as I am concerned.

The B850-860 is all about features and stile not added performance. The B650 line is cheaper and just as good picture wise, you are not paying for useless fluff.

We may not get a 58" in a B650, which is unfortunate as it's the one to get as far as I am concerned.

I noticed that 58B850 is about 12kg lighter than 58B550. No idea what the glass top tv stand that I bough can hold. I'll need to check I guess.

If I can somehow get the PS58B850 for $4200 or so, maybe I should go with that instead of PS58B550 for $3700. Extra features aren't so bad.

For an extra $500 the 850 is definitely worth having, it has a single layer of glass rather then two in the 550 for better off axis viewing, that also accounts for the weight difference. The panel is better as far as I know and is the same as the 650, you also get the top grade screen filter.

I am surprised the 850 is so cheap, no wonder they did not bother with the 650, not enough price difference to make it viable.

Has anyone got a Wireless USB stick to work with the 2009 models, or do you need the specific Samsung ones?

I haven't seen any Samsung Wireless USB's in Australia, as they only appear available in the US. Do these ones from the US work with the Australian models?

Bought a LA40B650 yesterday and would love to access DNLA servers without having to have the blue cord plugged in.

Guest Aaronjames

I am looking at getting a new samsung - LA37B650, however have heard that the samsung range is prone to screen freeze, on particular when on channel 7 HDTV. Can anyone please confirm whether or not this is true...

Guest Aaronjames
I have the 32inch version which I bought a few days ago and I haven't had a single problem with picture freezing on any channel.

Thanks for the reply.

hi alexmck,

Bought a LA40B650 yesterday and would love to access DNLA servers without having to have the blue cord plugged in.

just wondering how much did that cost you and from which city??

i'm in my market for one of those as well so yeah would be nice to know how much u got that for

HI I've been thinking of getting the 40" B 650 LCD, was going to get the A series, but thought I'd wait..and low and behold the 3 yr warranty has been dropped. Was lined up to go hunting for one, when my father in law mentioned he had been having a lot of trouble with video delay using HDMI. I have the top model Pioneer 1016 Av receiver, which although isn't that old, for some reason Pioneer never put audio delay settings in these despite it having HDMI passthrough etc.

Has anyone seen problems with video getting out of sync when using separate digital audio...on DVDs..or blu ray? It gets mentioned sometimes and not others so not so sure how big a problem its is with full 1080p content. I know there are delay boxes you can get, but seems stupid to pay some more money for them and they are nearly the price of a new receiver.

I am annoyed that my receiver can't even do some delay (well it can between the speakers themselves) as even the cheap Denon which was half the price at the time could. Unless I am wrong, but I haven't found anywhere in the manual that says it can do it.

hi alexmck,

just wondering how much did that cost you and from which city??

i'm in my market for one of those as well so yeah would be nice to know how much u got that for

I ended up getting it from Myer (Chatswood - Sydney - it was their last one in stock). The guy said he could do the TV alone for $2200, but I also got the extended warranty (taking it to 5 years) on top for a final price of $2489 (+40,000 Myer One points - not sure what the deal with that was though).

The bets JB HiFi could do with the warranty included was $2589, and The Good Guys couldn't sell the TV by itself below $2400 apparently. Hope this helps :)