2009 Samsung Range

I've a la55b650 thats been setup now for a few days.

Very happy with it after getting the settings right, after coming from a plasma have to get used to the lcd picture differences.

The SD scaling seems to be very good, although the picture is slightly soft.

Plenty of adjustments available and the HTPC looks awesome on it.

I paid $3811 delivered for the beast.

Cheers,

Scaven

Can you share your settings? Am sure I could make some improvements on all inputs for ultra tweaking - using hdmi for blu/hd-dvd thru amp, xbox is direct to tv on component and pc for htpc.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDITED to remove extra dose of stupid from this thread.

Still getting my TV to anyone who read the email :P

Still haven't seen any of the plasmas in store has anyone else?

Edited by I)ickie

Nope. I saw a 50b450 in JB, but that was about it. The equivalent Panasonic looked terrible compared to it. I also shocked myself with just how big a 50" was. I knew they were big but still, they are massive.

I agree with Owen.

This happened with my pc monitor. I went from a 19" CRT monitor to a 24" LCD and was amazed for about 3 weeks, after which I was kicking myself for not getting the 26" monitor instead.

So with the TV I've decided that we'll be going from a 80cm (34") Sony 4:3 CRT TV to a 58" Samsung (or Panasonic...depends on $$$$) 16:9 plasma instead of our original idea of a 50" one.

This is a good site to get an impression of our upgrade; http://www.displaywars.com/80-centimetre-4x3-vs-58-inch-16x9

B)

Hi

Has anyone seen the new edge LED range? I am interested in getting one of these or the Sony Z4500 in 46 or 55inches. Has anyone had any experience with either set?

What is the going price for the Samsungs? I understand there is three different series in the LEDs. How do the edge LEDs compare with the 9 series LED?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers.

:winky: I have had the Sammy ua46b7100 for a couple of days now and im happy as a pig in ****. Great after a bit of fine tuning to individual taste

:winky: I have had the Sammy ua46b7100 for a couple of days now and im happy as a pig in ****. Great after a bit of fine tuning to individual taste

Hi

Congratulations. That sounds fantastic. Most in store demos are on bluray discs which look awesome! How does free to air digital TV look like? Is Foxtel any good?

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts with us before some of us commit.

Cheers.

Does anyone know when the 2009 plasmas are set for release here?

Has anyone seen one in the wild?

Interestingly Samsung Australia website listed a firmware update for the PS50B650 today..

http://www.samsung.com/au/function/search/...ord=PS50B650S1F

I was looking at the PS50B550 today in JB, and could have got it for around $2230, but they didnt have stock.

Now that I'm looking at them online a bit more, I'd be inclined to upgrade to the B650 for a couple of hundred more, but nobody seems to have stock at the moment?

I was told today, it could be a couple of weeks.

Anyone know what the firmware update fixes??

I was looking at the PS50B550 today in JB, and could have got it for around $2230, but they didnt have stock.

Now that I'm looking at them online a bit more, I'd be inclined to upgrade to the B650 for a couple of hundred more, but nobody seems to have stock at the moment?

I was told today, it could be a couple of weeks.

Anyone know what the firmware update fixes??

Are you sure it was the PS50B550 and not the PS50B450?

I've gotta go pick mine up if it was!!!!

I'm not sure about the firmware either but it would be good to find out.

Edited by I)ickie

Are you sure it was the PS50B550 and not the PS50B450?

I've gotta go pick mine up if it was!!!!

I'm not sure about the firmware either but it would be good to find out.

Certainly was the 550. But they only had the display model and no stock.

He checked his PDA and there was no stock in Australia yet apparently.

What were the models and prices?

I ordered the 55" LED a week and a half ago for $4,379, scheduled for delivery some time this week.

I just checked the web site and the price is now $4,195. They have already charged my credit card the original price, but it hasn't been delivered yet.

Should I ring them and ask for the new price and if they refuse, cancel my order? I should be eligable for the new price given that it hasn't even shipped yet right?

Hi there,

Does anyone find a bit of motion blur on the LED panels?

I was watching one which was playing the opening car chase from Quantum of Solace and though the pics was great, I think it's not as refined as plasma?

WDYT?

What do you think?

Cheers,

Typhoon.

Hi there,

I was watching one which was playing the opening car chase from Quantum of Solace and though the pics was great, I think it's not as refined as plasma?

WDYT?

What do you think?

No such thing as a LED panel, they are LCD’s with LED back lighting in stead of a cold cathode lamp. Other then brightness performance is the same a normal LCD and in some ways the LED models are inferior.

Hi there,

WDYT?

What do you think?

Cheers,

Typhoon.

Hi Typhoon

i have had the ua46b7100 for 4 days now. There are options for Blur reduction and Judder reduction in the menu.

Still tinkering with the remote / watchin different shows to find my preferred settings.

I will add more about the sammy in days to come.

cheers

moto

No such thing as a LED panel, they are LCD’s with LED back lighting in stead of a cold cathode lamp. Other then brightness performance is the same a normal LCD and in some ways the LED models are inferior.

Hi Owen,

l was hoping you could elaborate on your comments? As one who knows little about the technology l was wondering where LED might be inferior. l was all keen on this set

http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...anty=4EWLCD5000

Until l spotted this one

http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...anty=4EWLCD5000

The LED set holds a lot of appeal and looks sexy too and comes with the expectation of perhaps better PQ. Be interested in hearing opinions from DTV'ers before l take the plunge

Cheers,

mondie

Hi Typhoon

i have had the ua46b7100 for 4 days now. There are options for Blur reduction and Judder reduction in the menu.

Still tinkering with the remote / watchin different shows to find my preferred settings.

I will add more about the sammy in days to come.

cheers

moto

That would be fab. Thanks heaps.

The LED set holds a lot of appeal and looks sexy too and comes with the expectation of perhaps better PQ. Be interested in hearing opinions from DTV'ers before l take the plunge

If you don't need the thinness, I would suggest the standard LCD would offer a better picture. In CNET's review of the american market LN52B750 (from the current generation), they said:

"This set outperforms the company's edge-lit LED-based LCD displays in most areas, including black-level performance and picture uniformity, and produced a better picture than any other LCD we've tested, aside from last year's LED-backlit models that utilize local dimming"

A number of online reviews have criticised many edge-lit LED LCDs for having uniformity issues, particularly brighter edges & a darker centre. I haven't read a review of any 55" LED LCD, but I imagine that any uniformity problems would be exacerbated by the extra distance light must travel from the edge to the middle of the screen.

Having said that, the differences will probably be quite minor & if the thinness really appeals, i'm sure the LED backlit model would satisfy most people.

i am pretty sure though that i read on avsforum that some hardcores in the states they are all into big tvs and selling them etc, one of the sponsors on avs etc, were saying that they got one of the LED edge lit sets in. at first thought it was a bit weak in comparison to all tvs, the downsides you mention and cnet did. but then they professionally accessed it for calibrating and found a menu that controlled how bright the edgelit led was being beamed, that gives it the nice really bright look.

they were able to drop this setting down and then all of a sudden screen uniformity was perfect, blacks were as good as 8G pioneer kuro. they then said that it compared to the G10 or G11 Panasonic in terms of blacks and performance and although was dimmer than original, it was not as dim as a plasma which lead them to believe this panel was awesome.

still brighter, less power consumed, a very comparable image.

onyl downside they mentioned was the cost of the 55" LED model was considerably more than the 50" panasonic new model they compared to.

i dont have any links for this, but it shouldnt be hard to find on AVSforum, and there were comparison pictures etc.

Guest Suteki
i am pretty sure though that i read on avsforum that some hardcores in the states they are all into big tvs and selling them etc, one of the sponsors on avs etc, were saying that they got one of the LED edge lit sets in. at first thought it was a bit weak in comparison to all tvs, the downsides you mention and cnet did. but then they professionally accessed it for calibrating and found a menu that controlled how bright the edgelit led was being beamed, that gives it the nice really bright look.

they were able to drop this setting down and then all of a sudden screen uniformity was perfect, blacks were as good as 8G pioneer kuro. they then said that it compared to the G10 or G11 Panasonic in terms of blacks and performance and although was dimmer than original, it was not as dim as a plasma which lead them to believe this panel was awesome.

i dont have any links for this, but it shouldnt be hard to find on AVSforum, and there were comparison pictures etc.

Hey mate you wouldn't be able to find the post or article would you?

I looked for the post but couldn't find it. I purchased a UA40B6000 today and the uniformity issues are definitely there. On my set they are in the upper right and lower right regions mostly but a small one on the left side also. During entirely dark scenes it's a little annoying, otherwise the TV is stunning. If I can sort the uniformity issues I will be incredibly happy.