2009 Samsung Range

:huh: Sorry to be so blunt, but I cant think of anything LESS like cinema film then a Sammy LED back lit LCD panel, so maybe “cinematic” is not the right description. A digital TV is what it is and that’s sure what it looks like to me, not even remotely like film in a cinema.

Fair point. I guess I meant more in comparison. Or if you want to pick - just that little bit better. ;)

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised thought you would be able to get it cheaper than that, Im interested in picking one up if I can get one around the $2000 mark. This may be achievable since its priced at 2300-2400 at a few online stores.

I was using store credit, also I'm in WA, by the time I factor in Postage + Warranty from online stores, the price isn't that far off.

Whats cost price if you don't mind me asking? 2.5k with 5 years sounds pretty good. The B530 also sounds promising, thanks for the headsup.

Sorry didn't make myself clear.

Apparently $2400 is cost price for JB. I asked my mate who works there and he said it is not uncommon for online stores to be cheaper but felt it was worthwhile to buy it in a local store for warranty purposes.

He gave me great deals on my speaker gear so I don't think he was leading me astray on this one.

Apparently he made $2.50 on a $4.4k sale!

Apparently $2400 is cost price for JB. I asked my mate who works there and he said it is not uncommon for online stores to be cheaper but felt it was worthwhile to buy it in a local store for warranty purposes.

He gave me great deals on my speaker gear so I don't think he was leading me astray on this one.

You should be careful what you write on a public forum as JB management are watching and if a sales person give that price without managerial approval the person will find itself out of a job. This includes staff discounts.

That 'cost price' the salesman is usually so eager to show you is not the whole picture. They show you their 'buy price' so that you think you're only paying $50-$100 more than wholesale but its inaccurate as it doesn't include the kickbacks and rebates they get from the manufacturer.

There is no way anybody would sell a $3k TV and only make $50 on it - doesn't make sense and in no way covers their costs. I've tried several times to negotiate JB Hifi down to prices like some of the online stores can offer ($200-$300 less) but they keep saying 'thats less than we buy for'. Half-true - less than they buy for but more than the total cost of the TV to them after rebates.

I'm not critising though: people like JB have much higher overheads than the online stores. Salespeople who get comissions, floor space, demo stock, utilities etc etc etc. It must really piss them off when people (like me :)) walk in and try to bargain them down to an online price after being sold on the TV only to walk away and order it online anyway!

You should be careful what you write on a public forum as JB management are watching and if a sales person give that price without managerial approval the person will find itself out of a job. This includes staff discounts.

He had approval so it's all good. He did not do it for less than JB was paying for it. If he undercuts their minimum prices then it comes out of his commission anyway (as in he pays for as much as JB is out of pocket) so there was nothing underhanded about it. It basically means that he gets nothing for the sale.

That 'cost price' the salesman is usually so eager to show you is not the whole picture. They show you their 'buy price' so that you think you're only paying $50-$100 more than wholesale but its inaccurate as it doesn't include the kickbacks and rebates they get from the manufacturer.

There is no way anybody would sell a $3k TV and only make $50 on it - doesn't make sense and in no way covers their costs. I've tried several times to negotiate JB Hifi down to prices like some of the online stores can offer ($200-$300 less) but they keep saying 'thats less than we buy for'. Half-true - less than they buy for but more than the total cost of the TV to them after rebates.

I'm not critising though: people like JB have much higher overheads than the online stores. Salespeople who get comissions, floor space, demo stock, utilities etc etc etc. It must really piss them off when people (like me :)) walk in and try to bargain them down to an online price after being sold on the TV only to walk away and order it online anyway!

Without a doubt you are right.

That is why online stores can do it cheaper. No rent, less advertising etc. etc.

I was happy to get a price comparable to the online stores with the security of having a store I could drive to.

Edited by I)ickie

A couple of questions regarding the B650.

1) Are the black levels better than Panasonics 2008 models (800/850) in a dark environment? (I know they are not as good as the 2009 panasonics) but the 2008 ones looked pretty good to me.

2) Are there really no s-video inputs?

A couple of questions regarding the B650.

1) Are the black levels better than Panasonics 2008 models (800/850) in a dark environment? (I know they are not as good as the 2009 panasonics) but the 2008 ones looked pretty good to me.

2) Are there really no s-video inputs?

I'm not sure about the s-video.

on the black level apparently they are fair bit better with ambient light and when both sets are calibrated the b550 beats the pz800 in black level and contrast. The 650 should do even better!

Apparently the colour on the Samsung blows away the Panasonics as well.

This is all from the AVS forum discussion from Chad B a well known calibrator on the forum.

Where did you get the 650 from and what price did you pay? Thanks

I think you may be getting me confused with someone.

I just bought a ps50b550 but it hasn't actually been delivered yet.

I don't own a 650

I've a la55b650 thats been setup now for a few days.

Very happy with it after getting the settings right, after coming from a plasma have to get used to the lcd picture differences.

The SD scaling seems to be very good, although the picture is slightly soft.

Plenty of adjustments available and the HTPC looks awesome on it.

I paid $3811 delivered for the beast.

Cheers,

Scaven

I've a la55b650 thats been setup now for a few days.

Very happy with it after getting the settings right, after coming from a plasma have to get used to the lcd picture differences.

The SD scaling seems to be very good, although the picture is slightly soft.

Plenty of adjustments available and the HTPC looks awesome on it.

I paid $3811 delivered for the beast.

Cheers,

Scaven

That sounds like a pretty good price. I'm after a 55"-58" screen myself soon.

I actually got to see a Sammy la46b650 at Harvey Norman in Osborne Park for the first time today and was impressed for a non-LED LCD. I think this one had a stupid price on it like $3.5K.

It was being fed "Transformers" on Blu-ray using hdmi and it looked really nice in a very well lit up showroom during the day. The la46b650 blew away a LG 60PG70FD plasma and the Toshiba 46XV500 LCD playing the same bluray movie via a hdmi splitter box.

Apart from the nice picture on the Sammy the other thing I noticed is that the viewing angle isn't as bad as I thought it to be from the couple of reviews I have read. That was a nice surprise and something for me to think about.

I actually went in there particularly to see if there were any Sammy B650 plasmas or Panasonic G10 plasmas but was told to try again in a month.

Hi

Has anyone seen the new edge LED range? I am interested in getting one of these or the Sony Z4500 in 46 or 55inches. Has anyone had any experience with either set?

What is the going price for the Samsungs? I understand there is three different series in the LEDs. How do the edge LEDs compare with the 9 series LED?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi

Has anyone seen the new edge LED range? I am interested in getting one of these or the Sony Z4500 in 46 or 55inches. Has anyone had any experience with either set?

What is the going price for the Samsungs? I understand there is three different series in the LEDs. How do the edge LEDs compare with the 9 series LED?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers.

Affirmative. Seen, lusted after, ordered. I'm currently waiting for the 55' (UA55B6000) from thetvstore.com.au @ $4360. I spent quite a while in JB Hifi comparing to all the other TVs they had and it was (to my eyes) clearly the best there. That includes the 55" Series 9 which never really impressed me. I really couldn't fault the picture on the new edge-lit LEDs though - sensational stuff. I know i'm talking it up but hey, I just ordered one so I have to justify it to myself :)

As for the Sony, i've only heard mediocre reviews. The screen is good and the backlighting is excellent and reproducing blacks but skin tones are not good ("clay-ish") and the price is absolutely outrageous, especially considering a good plasma beats it easily.

Most of the retailers should have the 40 and 46" edge-lit Sammys on display - definitely worth dropping in and having a look.

I'll have more of an opinion once it lands...

Ed

Affirmative. Seen, lusted after, ordered. I'm currently waiting for the 55' (UA55B6000) from thetvstore.com.au @ $4360. I spent quite a while in JB Hifi comparing to all the other TVs they had and it was (to my eyes) clearly the best there. That includes the 55" Series 9 which never really impressed me. I really couldn't fault the picture on the new edge-lit LEDs though - sensational stuff. I know i'm talking it up but hey, I just ordered one so I have to justify it to myself :)

As for the Sony, i've only heard mediocre reviews. The screen is good and the backlighting is excellent and reproducing blacks but skin tones are not good ("clay-ish") and the price is absolutely outrageous, especially considering a good plasma beats it easily.

Most of the retailers should have the 40 and 46" edge-lit Sammys on display - definitely worth dropping in and having a look.

I'll have more of an opinion once it lands...

Ed

Thanks for that. Do anyone know whats the going price for the 7 or 8 series? Are they worth the extra costs?

I have seen the 6000 at JB and they look great. IMO better than the 950s. How do they compare with Sony LEDs?

Cheers

Thanks for that. Do anyone know whats the going price for the 7 or 8 series? Are they worth the extra costs?

I have seen the 6000 at JB and they look great. IMO better than the 950s. How do they compare with Sony LEDs?

Cheers

From what I can tell, the 7 Series adds addon features like DLNA Wireless and the 8 Series adds 200Hz to the mix.

From my perspective, neither the 7 nor 8 series are worth the extra money as I'd never use the DLNA features (already suitable 'endowed' in that department) and from all accounts, 200Hz is a complete waste of time. Others may find it worth it though - depends on your current setup and preference.

I havent seen the Sony 4500 series back-lit LED compared side-by-side but I have seen it on its own. I was quite impressed by it but not blown away but at that price ($9k RRP) it would have to be mind-numingly stupifyingly blow-my-skirt-up great for me to even consider it...