2009 Samsung Range

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a 50" Samsung Plasma.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between PS50B650 vs PS50A650.

Is the 'B' just a newer revision? Does it make any difference?

Also, I might at a stretch be able to afford the 7 series. Is it worth it?

Cheers,

Nizmox

The B650 is a new and significantly improved model, the A650 would need to be quite a bit cheaper to be worth considering. The 7 series just adds more features, not a better picture.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The B650 is a new and significantly improved model, the A650 would need to be quite a bit cheaper to be worth considering. The 7 series just adds more features, not a better picture.

Well I installed a samsung 40 inch LED panel on the weekend and spent some time playing with it. However it had a major setback that has convinced my to not buy one, the viewing angle! Obviously this has always been an issue for LCD, but has improved tenfold over the past year, with Sony the leaders IMO. But the LED model is horrific! Just slightly off centre and kiss goodbye to black levels from this technology! I would say the worst I have seen for some time! The built-in speakers are also shocking, but no real deal breaker though. Samsung have used their own proprietry connectors for the 1 component input and the 1 composite input. They just clip in with short tails on the end with the typical femal RCA's on the end of the tail, obviously in an attempt to keep the panel thin, and thin it is. Another gripe is the power cord is fixed into the panel ( there is a cover plate there but I ran out of time to remove it) which will make wall mounting a real PITA. Hopefully it can be removed.

Well I installed a samsung 40 inch LED panel on the weekend and spent some time playing with it. However it had a major setback that has convinced my to not buy one, the viewing angle! Obviously this has always been an issue for LCD, but has improved tenfold over the past year, with Sony the leaders IMO. But the LED model is horrific! Just slightly off centre and kiss goodbye to black levels from this technology! I would say the worst I have seen for some time! The built-in speakers are also shocking, but no real deal breaker though. Samsung have used their own proprietry connectors for the 1 component input and the 1 composite input. They just clip in with short tails on the end with the typical femal RCA's on the end of the tail, obviously in an attempt to keep the panel thin, and thin it is. Another gripe is the power cord is fixed into the panel ( there is a cover plate there but I ran out of time to remove it) which will make wall mounting a real PITA. Hopefully it can be removed.

Hmmm that is a little disappointing. I must say I didn't notice that when I was looking but then I didn't specifically check either. Might drop by again and have another look. The last thing I want is poor viewing angle as the room this is going in is quite wide...

Plasma tv's are really thin on the ground at the moment. I went to Myer,David Jones and JB Hi-Fi and that vast majority of tvs there were LCD. Looks like most stock is sold and retailers are waiting for the new Samsungs and Panasonics to come in. Really looking forward to seeing the new 58B650 plasma from Samsung (and hope I can convice my wife that 50" is just too small).

The vieiwing angel issue pretty common gripe for many that have purchased the LED Sammy's alas. One of many resaons i chose to avoid them. Cant say im big on going for first gen technology.

Edited by hazzad

The vieiwing angel issue pretty common gripe for many that have purchased the LED Sammy's alas. One of many resaons i chose to avoid them. Cant say im big on going for first gen technology.

Not quite sure where this viewing angle complaint came from. I went down to JB Hifi again yesterday to take test the viewing angle (amongst other things) and I have to say I couldn't see a problem. At 45 degrees, there was very little degredation. Even at large deflections the quality was still very good. Ok its not a Plasma but i've seen many worse LCDs and very few better so I don't see what the issue is? If its a problem for you then you should probably rule out LCD all together but the way our living room is set up nobody would be watching past 45 degrees so its not an issue.

One thing yesterday's visit did confirm for me is how badly I want one of these TVs. Compared to all other TVs there (and they had pretty much all of them save the Sony LED LCD), it smashed them for picture quality. The blacks are true black and the colours are rich and accurate. A very impressive effort (but with a price tag to match).

I want one.

anyone bought the LA55B650? My order for 52A650 got cancelled.. apparently samsung are not supplying them anymore so i'll have to look for other alternatives.

I'm gonna go have a look at the B650 on thursday. If anyone got them how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? any thoughts on the screen? :)

anyone bought the LA55B650? My order for 52A650 got cancelled.. apparently samsung are not supplying them anymore so i'll have to look for other alternatives.

I'm gonna go have a look at the B650 on thursday. If anyone got them how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? any thoughts on the screen? :)

Here is a good start, I am looking at getting one as well, looked great in the shop.

http://www.thetvstore.com.au/p/884632/sams...l-la55b650.html

I know someone has already mentioned about the dif between the A650 and the B650(I'm talking LCD though), but is it really worth the money getting the B650? I could get the A650 for a much cheaper price.

From what I read its improved quite a lot. But how has it improved?

Edited by Grantus

I know someone has already mentioned about the dif between the A650 and the B650(I'm talking LCD though), but is it really worth the money getting the B650? I could get the A650 for a much cheaper price.

Slighlty better blacks. Image processing might be better. Now inlcudes Media 2.0 so more codec support and yahoo widget support. Other than that its just cosmetic. You have to like the new V design of the B 650 in the end to consider it. Many wont like it. Cant say i really like it in the flesh. Much prefer the B750 look.

Was in Harvey Norman Melb CBD today. Enquired about the new 6 series plasma.

Sales guy checked the computer and advised they were meant to be in this week but they hadn't actually received any.

He hazard a guess as coming in the next two weeks. Said the 50" will retail at $3300 - I'm guessing that is Samsung's RRP.

I've not heard anything back from the store about the PS50B550, I'll give it to wed before sending them an email. Will probably be week after next.

I ordered a 50B550 from my local retravision on Friday. They said will be delivered probably a week or so.

Yeh I'm throwing this question around in my head too. I have a HTPC that does all of the internet work for me, however future software upgrades may improve this . The LEDs looked good instore at HN and Myer with a slight more cinematic quality to them [however it was TV not Blu-ray], but can't justify $1,000 more for LED, so this is the decision I guess.

Quote up slightly regarding improved blacks and better processing provides more interest in the Bs over the As, but aesthetics don't really bother me. One thing I did get though is the heat generated by the LED is far less than the B model.

Decisions, decisions. However I think I just missed the 3 years interest free at Harvey Norman........

End ramble :lol:

The LEDs looked good instore at HN and Myer with a slight more cinematic quality to them [however it was TV not Blu-ray], but can't justify $1,000 more for LED, so this is the decision I guess.

:huh: Sorry to be so blunt, but I cant think of anything LESS like cinema film then a Sammy LED back lit LCD panel, so maybe “cinematic” is not the right description. A digital TV is what it is and that’s sure what it looks like to me, not even remotely like film in a cinema.

$2788, couldn't get any more discount as I was using store credit from a lucky draw I won. Did get a free GPS thou.

I'm surprised thought you would be able to get it cheaper than that, Im interested in picking one up if I can get one around the $2000 mark. This may be achievable since its priced at 2300-2400 at a few online stores.

I'm surprised thought you would be able to get it cheaper than that, Im interested in picking one up if I can get one around the $2000 mark. This may be achievable since its priced at 2300-2400 at a few online stores.

I bought one at "Cost Price" today from a mate.

$2.4k is apparently cost price on them. I got mine for $2.5k with 5 years warranty. I could have got the B530 for $2.25k which is probably going to be the same panel but with plastic instead of glass and 1 less HDMI port.

JB comercial has them listed

the 530 is listed at 2.7k and the 550 is listed at 2.9k

Edited by I)ickie

I bought one at "Cost Price" today from a mate.

$2.4k is apparently as low as JB are going to be selling the things. I got mine for $2.5k with 5 years warranty. I could have got the B530 for $2.25k which is probably going to be the same panel but with plastic instead of glass and 1 less HDMI port.

Whats cost price if you don't mind me asking? 2.5k with 5 years sounds pretty good. The B530 also sounds promising, thanks for the headsup.