2009 Samsung Range

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up.

You can also get the 50b550 is only $2352 at Digital Centre.

I've certainly changed my tune. I was sure I wanted a pana but the prices are just to high.

Very interesting. According to the product spec's at the electricdiscounter the B series has 2 x 15 watt audio with woofer. Good to see someone adding a bit more to the audio side.

Panny has dropped the ball here. The PZ850 had 4 x 32 watt but the G series is back to 2 x 10 watt.

I just really hate samsung as a manufacturer. ( not had a TV ).

Have to have a look at these but I'd think very long and hard before I bought one.

50B650 for $2709 is a good price.

Don't really think you could haggle with that place though? So that would be the best price possible through them (correct me if I am wrong).

My experience with them has been that they do negotiate on prices listed on their site. They even have a "Make an Offer" button where you can suggest a price. This worked for me with a Fridge I bought from them. However, as these are brand new models they may not negotiate as much right now - maybe wait a few weeks.

Edited by Bertzz

I compared these new Samsung B range to the A range and you can see substantial difference especially watching sports.

Am thinking of getting either the LA46B650 or LA46B750, what's the difference besides the dynamic contrast ratio?

Guest texinick
I compared these new Samsung B range to the A range and you can see substantial difference especially watching sports.

Am thinking of getting either the LA46B650 or LA46B750, what's the difference besides the dynamic contrast ratio?

About $300! :^)

I received my LA46B650 today, and after only a small amount of playing around, so far am very impressed. I picked mine up from justmonitors.com.au for $2999 + $39 delivery (from Melbourne to Coffs Harbour).

The only issue I have at the moment, is with the digital optical out. Previously I had a TiVo, 360 and a PS3 all hooked into an HDMI TriLink, with one connection out to the TV, and then I had digital optical connections to a switchbox that fed into my surround. With the new TV, I can hook all three to the TV via HDMI, and then take the Digital Optical out into the surround. In theory, this is perfect as I'm down two devices in the setup, however, I stuck in the Wall-E Blu Ray disc with DTS sound, yet my surround was displaying DD Pro Logic II. So there seems to be an issue with the pass-thru of the audio. I'm going to call Samsung tomorrow and pray that there is a solution, or a firmware upgrade that can fix it as I really don't want to have to put the switch back in just for the optical cables.

Other than that, this thing looks GREAT! Even the Wii (via Component cable) looked pretty good.

I just noticed this on a site about the TV: optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital. Does this mean it can't & won't do DTS or 5.1? DAMN! :^(

Edited by texinick

About $300! :^)

I received my LA46B650 today, and after only a small amount of playing around, so far am very impressed. I picked mine up from justmonitors.com.au for $2999 + $39 delivery (from Melbourne to Coffs Harbour).

The only issue I have at the moment, is with the digital optical out. Previously I had a TiVo, 360 and a PS3 all hooked into an HDMI TriLink, with one connection out to the TV, and then I had digital optical connections to a switchbox that fed into my surround. With the new TV, I can hook all three to the TV via HDMI, and then take the Digital Optical out into the surround. In theory, this is perfect as I'm down two devices in the setup, however, I stuck in the Wall-E Blu Ray disc with DTS sound, yet my surround was displaying DD Pro Logic II. So there seems to be an issue with the pass-thru of the audio. I'm going to call Samsung tomorrow and pray that there is a solution, or a firmware upgrade that can fix it as I really don't want to have to put the switch back in just for the optical cables.

Other than that, this thing looks GREAT! Even the Wii (via Component cable) looked pretty good.

I just noticed this on a site about the TV: optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital. Does this mean it can't & won't do DTS or 5.1? DAMN! :^(

Samsungs only pass through DD not dts

Guest texinick
Samsungs only pass through DD not dts

Thanks for confirming that :^(

I don't get the logic in that? Surely, if you have a digital output, it's because you want to take the audio from an HDMI input?

Ah well, I guess I either connect up my AV switch again purely for the optical cables, or look at replacing my surround system with an AV Receiver that I connect all the HDMI's to, rather than going into the TV.

I don't get the logic in that? Surely, if you have a digital output, it's because you want to take the audio from an HDMI input?

Ah well, I guess I either connect up my AV switch again purely for the optical cables, or look at replacing my surround system with an AV Receiver that I connect all the HDMI's to, rather than going into the TV.

Can you not just connect the Audio directly from the BluRay/DVD player straight to your amp via optical?

Pretty sure they only pass through stereo from HDMI, part of copy-protection

You will have to A) go HDMI from bluray->hdmi receiver->tv, or B? optical from bluray->optical receiver and video bluray->tv

Did you old tv allow you to passthrough proper DD 5.1 from hdmi? Didnt know ANY tv these days did that?

Also what is your setup regarding the hub etc?

I ask because my receiver has only one coaxial input and no hdmi, which means ill need a optical coax converter and some sort of a hub too, so just curious how other people are tackling this

Guest texinick
Can you not just connect the Audio directly from the BluRay/DVD player straight to your amp via optical?

I can, yes. I got excited because I saw TV had 4 HDMI's in and an optical out. Logically (to me anyway), it made sense that if you were going to allow all those HDMI inputs, you'd be able to take the output and connect it into a sound system.

My problem is, I have three HDMI devices (TiVo, 360 & PS3), and one input on my surround system. So just for the sake of three cables, I had to reconnect the old AV switch I had previously. It's no big deal, just a pain as I thought I'd managed to be able to remove some the spaghetti and free up an extra power socket.

Guest texinick
Pretty sure they only pass through stereo from HDMI, part of copy-protection

You will have to A) go HDMI from bluray->hdmi receiver->tv, or B? optical from bluray->optical receiver and video bluray->tv

Did you old tv allow you to passthrough proper DD 5.1 from hdmi? Didnt know ANY tv these days did that?

Also what is your setup regarding the hub etc?

I ask because my receiver has only one coaxial input and no hdmi, which means ill need a optical coax converter and some sort of a hub too, so just curious how other people are tackling this

I spoke to a couple of people today that reckoned their sets DO pass through 5.1. So I don't know that it's a copyright limitation.

No, prior to getting this TV, I had a 32" samsung LCD, which only had a single HDMI connection and no digital out. I had a Joytech AV switch to switch optical & component connections, and I had a Joytech TriLink HDMI switch to handle the HDMI switching. If the optical output on the TV allowed pass through of DTS & 5.1, then I could get away with both switch boxes.

I'm pretty sure the AV switch's from Joytech only have optical connections, not the coax.

I spoke to a couple of people today that reckoned their sets DO pass through 5.1. So I don't know that it's a copyright limitation.

No, prior to getting this TV, I had a 32" samsung LCD, which only had a single HDMI connection and no digital out. I had a Joytech AV switch to switch optical & component connections, and I had a Joytech TriLink HDMI switch to handle the HDMI switching. If the optical output on the TV allowed pass through of DTS & 5.1, then I could get away with both switch boxes.

I'm pretty sure the AV switch's from Joytech only have optical connections, not the coax.

The Sammy's Pass DD 5.1 over optical no probs. They do not pass DTS though. and most likely never will as far as the current generations are concerned. Most likely a licensing issue. There is very little requirement for the screen to pass DTS so i can understnad why they dont. The only application in can see for it is via the DLNA/wiselink media playback of movies that contain a DTS soundtrack. Its one of the resons why i didnt bother with the B series even though i liked the MKV playback feature via DLNA. Without DTS pass thru i still would have needed a additional Network media tank such as a Popcorn hour or something. Having said that the DLNA feature of the 8 Series i have seems to work very well with .avi playback(DD 5.1 support and all).

One of the reviews I read on this screen suggested that the SD picture was not very good. I have a Panasonic 37850A LCD screen connected to an IQ2 and a TIVO (both on fixed 1080i output) and have been quite impressed with the picture when on displaying foxtel nonHD free to air and their own channels.

The Panasonic 50 G10 seem to do this well as did the 800 and 850s.

I am concerned that this may not be the case with the new Samsungs. Can anyone give a view on these issues?

You are better off making your own assessment. Remember picture enhancement features like DNIE can cause problems and may be better off disabled. The sharpness control may also need to be turned down as its set too high by default on Samsungs.

When properly set up I would be staggered if a new Sammy Plasma looked worse then an LCD with low quality source.

Whats the difference between Series 7 52inch (LA52A750) and Series 7 52inch (LA52B750) ?

On the site it says for the B model "Dynamic Contrast Ratio: Ultra" And the A model is "70000:1"??

Which is the better model in terms of picture quality when watching anything from HDTV to Bluray?

Guest texinick
Whats the difference between Series 7 52inch (LA52A750) and Series 7 52inch (LA52B750) ?

On the site it says for the B model "Dynamic Contrast Ratio: Ultra" And the A model is "70000:1"??

Which is the better model in terms of picture quality when watching anything from HDTV to Bluray?

I'm pretty sure that the new 'B' models also include the Internet@TV features. I purchased the Series 6 version (LA46B650) and it has Internet@TV etc. I don't think that was a feature on the 'A' models.

The 'B' models are the new 2009 models, so logically, I would have to say the 'B' models would be better than the 'A' ones.

I'm not an audio-/video-phile though.. so I'm sure others will provide better answers! :^)

Its been quoted that the B series 7 is about 150,000:1 though Sammy dont publish it. The other key diff is the media 2.0 which includes Yahoo Widgets and increased playback functionality of the Wiselink feature.

Guest texinick
The Sammy's Pass DD 5.1 over optical no probs. They do not pass DTS though. and most likely never will as far as the current generations are concerned. Most likely a licensing issue. There is very little requirement for the screen to pass DTS so i can understnad why they dont. The only application in can see for it is via the DLNA/wiselink media playback of movies that contain a DTS soundtrack. Its one of the resons why i didnt bother with the B series even though i liked the MKV playback feature via DLNA. Without DTS pass thru i still would have needed a additional Network media tank such as a Popcorn hour or something. Having said that the DLNA feature of the 8 Series i have seems to work very well with .avi playback(DD 5.1 support and all).

I spoke to Samsung tech support today, and the purpose of the Digital Optical Output is mainly to take the audio from the FTA stations to a surround system. They DO NOT take the audio stream from the HDMI connections and pass them through the Digital Optical Out. The only audio stream you get out is Dolby Digital (Pro Logic according to my surround system).

I'm going to have to look into the DLNA features a bit more. I've never really got into them, but I tried a movie I have on my Mac (.m4v) and was told it was not supported on the TV, but it streams happily via the 360, so that should do me until I figure out the correct/best way to encode.

hazzad, may I ask what settings you used when you output the AVI?

Edited by texinick

I spoke to Samsung tech support today, and the purpose of the Digital Optical Output is mainly to take the audio from the FTA stations to a surround system. They DO NOT take the audio stream from the HDMI connections and pass them through the Digital Optical Out. The only audio stream you get out is Dolby Digital (Pro Logic according to my surround system).

I'm going to have to look into the DLNA features a bit more. I've never really got into them, but I tried a movie I have on my Mac (.m4v) and was told it was not supported on the TV, but it streams happily via the 360, so that should do me until I figure out the correct/best way to encode.

What settings do you mean? Connection or tv settings?

.m4v is a raw MPEG4 video bitstream (eg mpeg4 audio is often in the *.m4a or *.aac containers). To be honest its not used commonly as a final product type thing, and pretty pointless since it wont have any sound. It is not a supported container format in the Sammys. Mux it into a MP4 container using YAMB (a mp4box GUI) [http://yamb.unite-video.com/]. This just MUXES (no encoding, just adding to a container with appropriate information) mp4 container compatible sources (ie mpeg 4 audio/video) into a *.mp4 file. If your *.m4v file is a properly encoded one, putting it in a mp4 container will allow the tv to read it. Have a go :ninja:

Guest texinick
What settings do you mean? Connection or tv settings?

Sorry mate, should have been more specific. I meant when you created the AVI movie, what sound & video options did you use?

Guest texinick
.m4v is a raw MPEG4 video bitstream (eg mpeg4 audio is often in the *.m4a or *.aac containers). To be honest its not used commonly as a final product type thing, and pretty pointless since it wont have any sound. It is not a supported container format in the Sammys. Mux it into a MP4 container using YAMB (a mp4box GUI) [http://yamb.unite-video.com/]. This just MUXES (no encoding, just adding to a container with appropriate information) mp4 container compatible sources (ie mpeg 4 audio/video) into a *.mp4 file. If your *.m4v file is a properly encoded one, putting it in a mp4 container will allow the tv to read it. Have a go :ninja:

I'm a Mac user, currently I have HandBrake installed, and that seems to give me all sorts of options, but I have no idea which are better. The manual for the TV has loads of different formats, AVI, MKV, ASF, MP4, 3GP etc etc. For each file extension, the video can be decoded as things like DivX & XviD, H.264, MPEG-4 SP etc. If I want to store DVD's on the computer and stream to TV which would be the 'better' settings to use? I've seen MKV mentioned a few times? Would a MKV with Divx or XviD be a better option to encode to? or H.264? (Sorry for these newbie type questions! I'm hoping someone that already uses the Sammy TV's can shed some light)

Going back to the main topic though.. I'm loving this new TV!! Fifa 09 on the 360 looked AWESOME!! haha And there definitely seems to be less blur & judder than my older Sammy lcd.

Does anyone use the Anynet+ features of the Samsung products?