Freeview Faq (updated July 2010)

Guest daveskis1503561251
. If we want to get good TV, we have to pay for it, unless we re-define what "good" and "pay" is..

-G

Are you kidding me, let everyone else watch the ads........I believe some people like them, I don't and will rush out to buy non Freeview PVR if I can still find one. What a mess, can someone tell me if HD Toppys still cut the mustard.........Thanks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me, let everyone else watch the ads........I believe some people like them, I don't and will rush out to buy non Freeview PVR if I can still find one. What a mess, can someone tell me if HD Toppys still cut the mustard.........Thanks.

Have a look in the PVR subforum. After many troubles with the 7000/7100 (which appear to finally be more stable under the latest march FW), the new TRF2400 seems to be what Topfield should've released 2 years ago!

• 2 months later...
I have a 2 year old Toshiba 47" HDTV 1080i, with inbuilt HD tuner, also a Panasonic DMERX87 DVD player/recorder.

I'm getting 1 HD, & apparently all other HD stuff....so will I get Freeview with my current equipment?

Cheers, GTO.

GTO

I agree with Mick about the mere fact that your TV should work minus some addons that is coming with Freeview phase 2 unless Toshiba releases a new system upgrade that will allow Freeview Phase 2's addons to work on your TV! These system upgrades are broadcasted in the Digital signal broadcasted by the Commerical Stations and don't require you to do anything. If you are still confused I might suggest to you that you give Tosihba Customer / Technical Services a call and they should be able to help you further.

James

I still don't get it - Freeview is basically just a way to restrict the viewer's ability to skip adds, and give you a better EPG (which I haven't heard much about the added functionality of). It is such a rort and I've had people say to me recently that if you buy a new TV it has to be Freeview compliant and if it's not you won't receive all this bonus FTA content. I can't believe that Freeview have been allowed to advertise in this way - it is very misleading.

One thing I did read quite a while ago was that Freeview has put Tivo out of the market in some countries due to the added functionality of the EPG. I would be interested to know if this is correct, however I haven't seen any advertising from them which would suggest that the Freeview EPG has the Tivo functionality. Maybe the fact that they're in bed together now they're both protecting each other's interests <_< I must admit that I found Tivo to be a rather extravegant item to purchase (as I saw it it is just a PVR with the ability to say that any program that has Angelina Jolie in it needs to be recorded :P ) Even now you see very little hardware in the retailers that carries a Freeview sticker.

I agree with you that some EPG's are hard to navigate especially the older or cheaper Set top boxes or PVR's. Alot if not all the LCD HD and Full HD LCD Tvs or Blueray recorders (with a HDD) and some DVD (with a HDD) recorders made by major manufacturers (eg Toshiba, Sony , Panasonic etc etc etc) have their own epg's that come with the TV or recorder that pick up Freeview Channels.

Putting it basically the EPG's on cheaper equipment maybe more dificult to use for the end user than a more expensive model

• 2 months later...

Looks like the FreeView EPG will now be launched in June with "catch-up TV" being available through the EPG towarsd the end of the year.Freeview aims at Foxtel with 'catch-up' TV
Will be interesting to see when they finally put a box capable of reading the Freeview EPG on sale. The "Catch up TV" is likely to be vapourware for quite sometime to come IMO. Even now they're hedging their bets and adopting a wait and see approach to how Freeview sales go. FWIW, if you like the idea of CUTV get a Tivo, as its likely that will be the first box that will offer it when/if it becomes available.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What Freeview should really be doing now is to not only specify in Freeview approved equipment MPEG-4 decoding but also DVB-T2.

The ability to receive DVB-T2 signals compressed using MPEG-4 in all receivers would then allow the transmission of 3-D programs to all viewers. Those with these receivers can watch the programs in 2-D and those who buy 3-D sets can watch the same programs in 3-D.

The UK is now transmitting the DVB-T2/MPEG-4 signals on their Freeview HD+ which is their first terrestrial HD programs. There are sets being sold which with minor firmware changes will work in Australia.

Specifying DVB-T2/MPEG-4 now will allow 3-D to be introduced sooner because a complete new nationwide network of transmitters will not be required with its attendant costs, in addition no simulcasting will be required.

Additionally they also should specify 48 and 50p display rates as well. This is a minor firmware change in a full HD display, which in 10 years time will be the only type available. HDMI 1.4 will be required for 3-D and the faster display rates.

Lastly Foxtel HD is using DVB-S2 with MPEG-4 compression and is capable of compatible reception between 2-D and 3-D receivers now.

AlanH

What Freeview should really be doing now is to not only specify in Freeview approved equipment MPEG-4 decoding but also DVB-T2.

AlanH

I think its bubbling away in the background as you type Alan,the Freeview agenda will be very interesting to see down the track,at the moment its just brief PR statements and leaks/interviews to a couple of hand picked Journos.

I don't think anything radical will be announced until the majority of analogue is turned off then all sorts of spin will start from restacking to MPEG-4 only HD channels.

The DVB-T2 thing will be very interesting,does the Govt. bite the bullet or put it the too hard basket for someone else to worry about in the future.

Edited by Basil

Well Freeview has an online guide now, and hey guess what....it's no different to another online guide.

Actually compared to many other web guides it has a major deficiency or two so from what I can tell it is different, but different in the backwards direction.

• No way to set up custom channel lists
  • No way to set up an alerts list (to notify one via email that a program is about to start etc)

What will the government do about DVB-T2? Given that the government is only now mulling over how to deliver MPEG-4 AVC to the masses, it can be imagined that all the government will do with DVB-T2 is make a note about it being delivered some time down the track when the receivers are widely available - quite possibly when another political party is at the helm. To date the government has not made any moves WRT what a receiver must be capable of and I don't think anyone here (well almost anyone) can see the government 'banning' a subset of receivers from sale.

Edited by DrP

from what I can tell it is different, but different in the backwards direction.
Why does that not surprise me
What will the government do about DVB-T2?
The problem is with analogue the standard never really changed did it?

With digital, about every 5 years or so there will be a change to a newer, faster, more efficient, more feature packed codec and I imagine transmission equipment will need to be upgraded to change to this...as well as end user hardware. It's all too hard for a Government who has to think of the lowest common denominator and avoid having people upgrade their equipment every 5 years.

The problem is with analogue the standard never really changed did it?

it added colour

teletext was added

and stereo

extra channel/freq were added (uhf - PAL-G)

these were backwards compatible changes, although adding uhf meant that whole channels were not available on older sets.

that was only 4 major changes in 40 years (well 2 were major - colour and uhf)

did I miss any?

• 1 month later...

Peter Gillespie ,

You mentioned that freeview certification is for free,may I know how to apply for this certification?

Thanks so much in advance!

Not so hard to find, just google Freeview. The relevant page is here

http://freeview.com.au/manufacturers.aspx

AFAICT you can get some general info on the likelyhood of your product being Freeview compliant with a few emails. If you decide to proceed sign the NDA and you'll find out for sure if your product qualifies.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 1 month later...

Looks like this one has been slipped out without much fanfare - Freeview Broadcasts New Electronic Program Guide: Transmission Begins Today

Freeview, Australia’s free digital television service, has announced that transmission of its new Electronic Program Guide (EPG) begins today, a key milestone in the development of free digital TV in Australia.

With a raft of innovative, user-friendly features, the Freeview EPG is the result of close collaboration between all the free-to-view networks and will deliver a significantly enhanced viewing experience for consumers across the Freeview channels.

Freeview CEO Robin Parkes said: “The new Freeview EPG will give viewers broad functionality that has been developed in response to consumer demand for more program information, easier navigation and improved recording capability.

“The Freeview EPG will provide a consolidated platform for the consumer when navigating Freeview channels, and will also provide consistency of experience across multiple digital TVs in the home, so that the consumer only has to learn the navigation once,” Parkes said.

Existing EPGs have been limited in their functionality because each manufacturer builds its own EPG capability into set top boxes (STBs), Personal Video Recorders (PVRs) and digital TVs, so there is no consistency across EPGs.

In addition, networks sends their own program information to each EPG and often not all information is available on screen at the one time.

The new Freeview EPG will collate program data from all networks for simultaneous transmission in a consistent format, while new MHEG 5 technology also means that the Freeview EPG will have video streaming and text capability, allowing consumers to continue to watch TV whilst navigating the EPG.

From July, all STBs, PVRs and digital TVs that carry the new EPG will feature the new Freeview EPG logo.

A list of the manufacturers that will offer Freeview EPG product can be found at: www.freeview.com.au/products

Other key features of the Freeview EPG are:

• Seven day program guide

CRID system (Content Reference Indicator) – allowing intuitive recording of shows (with PVRs)

Program reminder functionality

• Detailed program information

• Parental Lock system

• One touch recording (with PVRs)

• Watch and record different channels at the same time (with twin tuner PVRs)

• Pause and rewind live TV (with PVRs)

Record a series using ‘series link’ functionality (with PVRs)

• Ethernet connection

Common “buttons” for remote controls from each manufacturer.

Freeview has also developed a comprehensive microsite at www.freeview.com.au/epg that explains how the EPG works in simple language for consumers.

Importantly, viewers with existing STBs, PVRs or digital TVs will still be able to receive the manufacturer’s EPG and continue to enjoy Freeview channels.

Freeview will officially launch the new Freeview EPG to consumers in September with a product showcase and television commercial.

I guess this means we'll start to see either FW updates for existing Phase 1 Freeview co-branded PVRs and like devices, and maybe new models from other manufacturers (FV-L2 Beyonwiz perhaps)

EDIT: Having just watched their advert for the EPG, the bolded features in the above list are ones that interest me - especially the CRID (Intuitive Recording) which apparently picks up on late running shows and records them from start to finish (up to 30mins).

Series link is another big plus as well as the reminder function which I think will be good for those that don't have PVRs

Edited by diesel

• 1 month later...

Having just watched their advert for the EPG, the bolded features in the above list are ones that interest me - especially the CRID (Intuitive Recording) which apparently picks up on late running shows and records them from start to finish (up to 30mins).

Series link is another big plus as well as the reminder function which I think will be good for those that don't have PVRs

So the big question:

If you had to choose, would you prefer a PVR with CRID capability or one with ad skip?

Secondly, will any non-Freeview PVR end up using CRID or is it patented for Freeview devices only? Is it 'TAP'-able?

I note this on the TiVo Facebook site:

Back to back recordings

Edited by ozdoc

If you had to choose, would you prefer a PVR with CRID capability or one with ad skip?
For me? Ad skip. For someone upgrading from a VCR or DVDR. I'd probably be thinking CRID.
Secondly, will any non-Freeview PVR end up using CRID or is it patented for Freeview devices only? Is it 'TAP'-able?
Unknown and unknown.

But currently the CRID is being broadcast openly and once a few (Freeview) machines are sold that use this functionality then I'd see it very hard for them to encrypt it down the track (unless the Freeview specs have a provision for the encryption algorithm so all such machines would handle such an event). As for non-Freeview machines using it, I have no doubt some PC software will pop up shortly. I also think it wouldn't be possible to stop anyone using it. That would be like Yellow Pages being delivered to every house but then saying only odd number properties can read it.

TAP-able? I don't think TAPs can pick out information from the transport stream other than what hard coded in (Start Time, Name, Duration, Rating, etc.) Topfield would need to add a CRID option I'd believe but that shouldn't be hard. That said, some of the behind the scene TAP developers are amazingly proficient at tweaking the FW and TAP environment themselves.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Tivo developments look good. About time they finally got around to the back to back bug.

Edited by pgdownload

So the big question:

Probably stick with the ability to skip. I use it far too much, and I question how accurate CRID would be and what would ahppen in a timer conflict. I suppose I overcame that by getting 2 PVRs.