The Masters

As expected on the ONE coverage of The Masters, every time the leader board came up, ONE went to an ad break. For the whole three hours, the viewer was left with no idea how many players were in the field or even how many players there are. In the last five minutes, they accidentally showed the highest fifteen scorers. Not even a crawler to list all players scores.

On FOX SPORT HD, as well as a better picture, the ENTIRE field was shown in the first three minutes.

OK, the FOX coverage is delayed and ONE is livebut I'm quite happy to wait. Actually, I don't watch either live anyway but time shift it with the PVR.

I thought the coverage was great, good HD picture and 5.1 sound. They show the leader board before every ad break and inbetween too, what's wrong with that? I have no problems with it.

If you need to know how many players there are you can find that on the masters website.

I thought the coverage was great, good HD picture and 5.1 sound. They show the leader board before every ad break and inbetween too, what's wrong with that? I have no problems with it.

If you need to know how many players there are you can find that on the masters website.

Exactly, how hard is it to walk out and check the web during an ad break?

Exactly, how hard is it to walk out and check the web during an ad break?

Why should I have to? And they only showed the first five or ten players before going to the ads. Neither do I have to "walk out" I use my Plasma as my monitor but I should need to seek the information elsewhere when the host broadcaster is providing it. Also, I'm on a very expensive Next G connection because I can't get any other Broadband and time on line is expensive.

At least on Day 2, they showed the first 20 players of the 100 or so and toward the end of the broadcast, showed those 50 likely to make the cut, which is a slight improvement on Day 1.

The FOX coverage is vastly superior and frequently refers to at least the top fifty players.

Is it just me, or is the picture softer than in previous years? I remember being wowed the first time that ch10 got the masters and showed it in HD in 2007, but this year I don't seem to be as impressed. At a wild guess, anything to do with the feed coming from ESPN at 720p then being interlaced?

Maybe it's my eyes deceiving me, as we're exposed to far more HD sport than we were 2 years ago. But I swear it's just not as sharp as in the past! Anyone else?

I'll have to have a look at the golf coverage tomorrow. I reckon the Nascar picture quality is about the best i've seen, which is good for a Nascar fan :)

On that note, does anyone know why when OneHD shows the one hour highlights of Nascar, the picture quality look like upscaled SD?

Edited by SLE355

They missed a few key shots this morning by having longer ad breaks than the yanks did. How hard can it be to see when the host broadcaster is back on line?

Not that hard - but if you have already started another 30 second ad do you drop it and break back to the live feed?

They missed a few key shots this morning by having longer ad breaks than the yanks did. How hard can it be to see when the host broadcaster is back on line?

Well such is the power of the US PGA and Augusta in particular, that they specified who the advertisers were to be and decreed no more than 4 minutes of ads per hour.

No way could TEN live with that, hence we had many more, and much longer ads than the US did.