So pretty average game blah blah Ben Cousins blah blah...

What was concerning was the sound volume, I'm pretty sure I could always hear the ball being kicked off the boot or a big punch. Not so much handballs as they obviously don't make a large sound.

It was like watching the game on mute except for crowd noises and commentary.

No reason it should, 10 HD were broadcasting in DD5.1 last year same as One HD is this year.

Quite aware of that - however the OP was saying he couldn't hear the ball off the boot, etc., which is what I was commenting on. Could hear it last night the same as I could last year...

Edited by Greebs

Im not that keen on the 5.1 as mentioned the commentaters volume is very low, some may like that but i like to hear them and to have it loud enough to hear the commentry the whistle and surrounds are too loud.

Quite aware of that - however the OP was saying he couldn't hear the ball off the boot, etc., which is what I was commenting on. Could hear it last night the same as I could last year...

ooops, sorry about that, in that case it sounded pretty much the same to me too. :)

I find that the commentary is too localised to the centre channel.

If they could spread the commmentary across the L&R a bit, it would be much better I reckon.

I have to play with all my speaker level settings to get it right (then change it back again).

The ambient sounds in the rears is good though.

I thought the PQ was average, specially compared to the superbowl a couple of months ago, but I know things have changed.

Maybe they are allocating some of the 12 bandwidth to 1 when the AFL is on because they are only broadcasting on 1+10+analogue it seems

I thought the PQ was average, specially compared to the superbowl a couple of months ago, but I know things have changed.

For some reason sport from the u.s seems better than here .. cant wait for the golf u.s masters coming up.. some of the majors from last year looked stunning.. maybe they just have better hd cameras than us. anyway pic quality seemed pretty good for afl.. better than nrl for sure and 5.1 sounded great.like being at the game .. well almost.

was a great game i thought but then again i am a carlton supporter.

Edited by sol381

In Melbourne the 5.1 was good for the rear surrounds but it did sound like it was missing bits in the fronts and the sound of the advertisements almost blew my ears off.

Its was like some of this years NBA games with massive differences in volume levels. Very disappointing for their big Channel HD1 opening.

I was hoping that the NBA was used as testing to get it right for the HD1 start but it looks like I was wrong. Hire someone that knows what their doing please. EPIC FAIL Ten.

Yeah I noticed the cameras on the HD AFL coverage really make a blurry result whenever they pan around ... and as we all know, in AFL the camera pans a lot.

You'll see none of that on the American sports I think, and I also noticed the result was pretty good on the Formula 1 cameras in Melbourne.

I realise that in Formula 1's case it's only SD cameras (though even they could be HD-capable cameras, I guess!?) but there is clearly room for improvement in the local HD coverage when it comes to shutter speed. To me it looks essentially like a shutter speed limitation on these cameras.

On the NRL double header last Friday (a week ago), both games were HD but the cameras looked considerably better for the Brisbane match than the Sydney one. Not only did the grass remain sharp when the camera panned, but the colours were far more natural and less intense, as if the Sydney cameras had an old-fashioned PAL colour gamut rather than the HD colour gamut.

CK.

Edited by ckent

You can improve the quality of Tens AFL coverage yourself......when they are playing a game the same time as Seven, switch between the two. Ten starts to look great & you'll forget about how much better it was last year.

;]