Sign in to follow this  
interceptor1503561690

Whats Your Favourite Personal Radio?

I have recently gotten into the hobby of collecting old portable radios from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar interest and which is your favourite transistor radio that you cherish?

which is your favourite transistor radio that you cherish?

My Sony AM stereo SRF-A200 has the best AM sound of my portables. My Redsun 2100 is pretty good, and much better on the FM band. But it's a "noughties" era radio, so outside your time frame.

My best transistor radio is actually my wideband AM/FM stereo Playmaster 146 I built in 1977 from the Electronics Australia plans. But its not portable.

I'm ignoring short wave performance, of course. I've always been more interested in good sound from local stations, not picking up overseas stations.

Edited by apw

I am a hoarder rather than a true collector. I can not part with my favourite radios. My most cherished are an AWA Radiola "tranny" from 1963 (my first radio), a 1968 AWA Radiola clock radio ,and from much earlier days, a c1946 HMV valve radio .

Performance wise, I like my Sony ICF-J40. The batteries just go on and on. I'll also mention the Yamaha T-420A tuner from 1987, it needs repairs now but it has very good AM audio and the FM performance is excellent.

I am a hoarder rather than a true collector. I can not part with my favourite radios. My most cherished are an AWA Radiola "tranny" from 1963 (my first radio), a 1968 AWA Radiola clock radio ,and from much earlier days, a c1946 HMV valve radio .

Performance wise, I like my Sony ICF-J40. The batteries just go on and on. I'll also mention the Yamaha T-420A tuner from 1987, it needs repairs now but it has very good AM audio and the FM performance is excellent.

Oh nice radios there fp.

I like the AWA Radiola's.

Im more into collecting pocket transistor radio's. There's a few i want to get that are collectable but are hard to find. I think i might have to start going to garage sales and such to find any.

APW: I would of liked to build a project like your EA Playmaster. They dont sell kits like that anymore. Would like to build my own AM set though iv'e built a shortwave radio from dicksmiths funway books but thats just not the same!

I'll also mention the Yamaha T-420A tuner from 1987, it needs repairs now but it has very good AM audio and the FM performance is excellent.

I have a Sharp ST-207 midi hi-fi tuner from 1986 which has a nice 'green on black' display and the old electronic signal meters! (on a scale of 1-3)

They don't make radios with those anymore!!!!

It has good AM stereo and FM stereo performance .. still works ... though the amplifier for it doesn't work so well.... sounds a bit crackly...

The face plate for the tuner has fallen off however...

My first radio was a Tandy long distance AM/FM slide rule tuner radio (1983).

It was quite big for a portable and had excellent AM performance (FM was a bit harder to judge, because here in Newcastle there wasn't much on FM to look for back then...).

I used to think back then, that because I could get NBN TV's sound carrier on FM, I would be able to get Sydney's 7, 9 and 10 and Taree's ECN8 sound on FM also... but alas, no!

Fortunately, I'm a bit more knowledgable about that sort of thing now!

Posted (edited)

I also have the Sony SRF - 200. Wideband am and was stero am in the 80's. The only am stereo now is between-station static!  Much higher treble, and great for long distance am radio reception; I'm assuming so that a much stronger signal would result in better stereo separation and reception. Still using it today, as wideband am is similar in audio to low bit rate dab+. Fm is also goood.

Edited by Greg Pain