Coles Mtv Hd Stb $49

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you find a fix, let me know please.

The time on mine has been jumping ahead one hour, on several occasions. I would reset the time to QLD time, then press the epg button and after about 30 seconds it would advance the time by one hour. Sometimes it would advance after a couple of hours had passed. I phoned the Yale Prima number 1300 366 155 to see if they knew of this problem and was told that they did. I spoke to Sam who advised me that a firmware update would be available on a cd in a week or two and took my name and phone number and told me he would advise when the f/w is ready to be sent out. So anyone concerned about this time glitch should phone Yale Prima and also leave their name and number to be able to receive the update

I have found my unit generates quite a bit of heat when in standby. I have an AWA SD STB and a Fortec Star Ultra Satellite STB and both standby at about 1/3rd of the temperature of the MTV. At least it has a rocker switch on the back so that I can turn it off. Perhaps it is the voltage regulators? Anyone else noticed theirs gets hot?

Edited by Fatty

Also when I was talking to Yale Prima about the time fault I asked if the timer settings could be modified to be able to set a duration for the timer event, although setting one timer to sleep every day at midnight seems to work.

any else having volume issues ?

I have no other sd or hd boxes to compare against, but different channels seem to have wildly different audio volume levels. Is this a SD vs HD broadcast issue, an antenna reception issue, or an issue with the tuner itself ?

It doesn't help that the hugely long volume control via the remote is so slow to adjust the volume (on that hugely long volume slider).

It makes channel surfing rather hopeless and frustrating.

any info much appreciated.

edit: cheers for your comments pneu.

I forgot to add that I'm just using the rca/composite outputs.

Edited by enderwa

I have no other sd or hd boxes to compare against, but different channels seem to have wildly different audio volume levels. Is this a SD vs HD broadcast issue, an antenna reception issue, or an issue with the tuner itself ?

It doesn't help that the hugely long volume control via the remote is so slow to adjust the volume (on that hugely long volume slider).

I'm guessing the box doesn't compensate for the volume difference between MPEG and dolby digital audio tracks. I had a Topfield 7100 HDPVR and it had the same problem, volume levels were so out of whack between SD/HD channels it was intolerable so I got rid of it. Other HD boxes I've had did not suffer the problem. Looks like this box is off my list.

edit: cheers for your comments pneu.

I forgot to add that I'm just using the rca/composite outputs.

I got two of these last week for family members. Both are using RCA outputs. Volume does change slightly when changing channels but hardly enough to be noticeable (unless you're looking for it). I would try to exchange your box if you can.

But I also have a Topfield TF7100 and don't see volume changes with that either - have had many other issues but not that one.

Went into a local coles today, but I wasn't too sure if the set-top box was the MTV HD one as theres no mention of it on the box.

Just wondering if anyone out there could help me out if this actual one was the HD one.

The model number on the front of the box ended in "767"

Thanks in advance.

Went into a local coles today, but I wasn't too sure if the set-top box was the MTV HD one as theres no mention of it on the box.

Just wondering if anyone out there could help me out if this actual one was the HD one.

The model number on the front of the box ended in "767"

Thanks in advance.

The HD STB sold in Coles near me is model MTV819. It has the words "HD Set Top Box" written prominently on 5 of its 6 sides.

The HD STB sold in Coles near me is model MTV819. It has the words "HD Set Top Box" written prominently on 5 of its 6 sides.

It is model MTV 819 named HD set top box, I noticed coles has now priced them at $119 so you may have to wait a few months for them to be on special again if they ever have a bulk shipment , most likely if they have only a few left they will drop the price again to clear them. I have picked up a couple of HDD MTV 250H machines this way.

As to the time issue although I am in Qld I have set mine to NSW/ACT time zone marked +10 hrs and it has not advanced 1 hour for 4 days now, I have tried all the other T/Z's and they jump forward or backward by 1 hour almost instantly. still waiting patiently the f/w upgrade advice.

• 4 weeks later...

based in WA if that makes any difference.

I've noticed a few issues with time and the EPG:-

time - seems to hope about a bit

(brief #i# epg)

epg - quite often gets confused (esp when channel swapping) showing either the previous channel's now and next (or worse still a combination of the current and previously selected stations now and next) program listings.

epg - showing stupid times like 00:00 for both now and next program listings

(full epg via button)

I can't recall the full details but whenever I've tried to use it, I scroll across to the rhs for a particular channel and never seem to get a full listing for most channels (i.e. i can see what was on from the start of the day, but not that evening's programming schedule) .

any news on firmware updates ?

how would these be applied ?

Digifusion via 4TV had a great system back in the UK (for the full 7day EPG and firmware updates).

• 3 months later...
Coles have an MTV High Definition set top box with HDMI on sale for $49.00

12/03/2009 to 18/03/2009

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/10729

My elderly friend bought one of these MTV819 units and has now asked me to help install it. I connected the the antenna socket on the lounge room wall to the STB and the 3 output RCA connectors (1 video and 2 audio) to the same connectors on the TV. Then switched on the STB and the TV.

I get a very lousy picture on the TV which appears to be the Menu but all pixelated, and with multiple overlaps and in very pale colour. I then noticed a small green light glowing on the RHS of the display on the STB. In tiny printed writing alongside the light it says: "ERROR".

The light is not mentioned in the User Manual, as far as I can see, and so I have no idea what the error might be. Can anyone tell me please?

I can't find a manufacture's phone number or web site either! Otherwise, I wouldn't be having to make this - my first post. Can anyone supply this information too?

• 6 months later...